WASHINGTON Wednesday was National Nurses Day, which is why that afternoon President Trump found himself surrounded by men and women who have been on the frontlines of the coronavirus pandemic.
True American heroes, he called them.
But Sophia Thomas, president of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners, was interested in using the moment to highlight a need her members were facing. Personal protective equipment of the kind needed to keep hospital employees safe was sporadic, she told the president.
Looking annoyed, Trump was quick to disagree. Sporadic for you, but not sporadic for a lot of other people, he said, claiming that he heard the opposite about the availability of respirators, gowns and other protective equipment. That equipment is especially critical in hospitals, where doctors, nurses and others face a higher viral load than others. Many nurses and doctors have died from COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, in the United States (the exact number is unknown).
The president continued to insist all was well. Ive heard we have tremendous supply to almost all places, he told Thomas. Tremendous supply.
Later that same evening, a young Texas doctor named Pritesh Gandhi posted a video that served as a vivid rejoinder to Trump. Standing in a hallway of the Austin, Texas, clinic where he works, Dr. Gandhi can be seen pressing his face into a plastic food container, of the kind that might otherwise be used to store uneaten spaghetti. He then gingerly lifts off the straps of his N95 mask, pulling them around the outside of the container, so that the mask is stretched tightly over its top.
Instead of touching the N95 youre touching the Tupperware container, Gandhi explained to Yahoo News. The greatest risk to frontline health care workers is actually self-contamination, he added, and using a plastic container to remove and store the mask ensures that it wont be contaminated.
Gandhi did not invent the method, but he also did not expect to use it. As the associate chief medical officer at the Peoples Community Clinic in East Austin the poorer, less white part of town, away from its famed music venues and restaurants he may have expected to equip his doctors and nurses with necessary protective equipment. But logistical mishaps have prevented masks and gowns from getting speedily to many hospitals and clinics.
And so Gandhi and his colleagues have had to cycle through a supply of three masks each. While one is in use, the other two sit stretched across their respective plastic containers. After two to three days, viral particles those masks may have accumulated while in use would have diminished, although some studies do demonstrate detectable levels as long as a week after a mask is used.
Images of nurses wearing garbage bags and resorting to makeshift methods like Gandhis have proliferated, as has an attendant outrage. Im furious that @realDonaldTrump insulted a nurse practitioner b/c he had to face the truth, read part of his accompanying Twitter message.
The issue isnt just medical for Gandhi. The 37-year-old doctor and Texas native is now running to replace Michael McCaul, a pro-Trump conservative, as the U.S. representative for the 10th Congressional District in Texas. He is one of several doctors who had already been running for Congress, seeking to protect the Affordable Care Act, the Obama-era health law that provided health coverage to millions of Americans. (President Trump and congressional Republicans have continued to vow that they will repeal the law, despite having already failed to do so.)
The coronavirus has given medical candidates like Gandhi a new rationale, not to mention a new visibility. In the last several months, doctors and nurses have been praised as heroes, celebrated as frontline soldiers in a war. And just like previous veterans, they are now seeking to bring what they have learned to Washington.
We as a country are recognizing the important role physicians can have in driving the conversation and being a part of policy, says Robbie Goldstein, an infectious disease specialist at Massachusetts General Hospital who is running for a Boston-area congressional seat. He is seeking to replace Stephen Lynch, one of exceptionally few Democrats still in the House of Representatives to have voted against passage of the Affordable Care Act a decade ago.
Having declared for the Democratic primary last November, Goldstein did not anticipate treating COVID-19 patients or meeting prospective voters via Zoom. Now he is doing both. At the same time, he says the underlying rationale for his candidacy remains what it has always been.
The message is the same, and the goal is the same, Goldstein told Yahoo News. We as a country are recognizing the importance of health care.
Gandhi offers a similar assessment. It hasnt changed what were fighting for, he told Yahoo News of his coronavirus campaign. He is running on a progressive platform that includes addressing climate change and expanding health care coverage. But because the coronavirus has proved especially devastating to people of color, and because its economic effects have hit people of lower income, he believes that more Americans are aware of the very issues he has been seeking to highlight.
The virus, he says, magnified the preexisting inequities in American society. Those inequities are now the stuff of nightly news reports and social media posts. You cant unsee the trauma and the suffering, he says.
Not all the doctors running for Congress are necessarily Democrats. In fact, up the road (quite a bit up the road, this being Texas) from Austin, in the states northern panhandle, former White House physician Ronny Jackson is running in the Republican primary for the 13th Congressional District (the seat will be vacated by Rep. Mac Thornberry, who is retiring).
Dr. Jackson (a now retired Navy rear admiral who had been picked by Trump to head the Department of Veterans Affairs, only to have the nomination pulled over allegations of improper behavior) has been a regular in conservative media in recent weeks, touting his military and medical expertise. In one radio interview, for example, he discussed the need for the United States to reclaim some of its pharmaceutical supply lines from China.
Should any of these doctors make it to Capitol Hill, they will find plenty of medical practitioners to keep them company. These include Rep. Paul Gosar, R-Ariz., who is a dentist; Rep. Kurt Schrader, D-Ore., who is a veterinarian; and Rep. Kim Schrier, D-Wash., a pediatrician who entered politics to protect the Affordable Care Act.
And in the Senate, there is Rand Paul, a physician who contracted the coronavirus himself in March. The disease did not seem to affect him, and by April he was doing what he had been trained to do, volunteering at a hospital in Bowling Green, Ky.
Click here for the latest coronavirus news and updates. According to experts, people over 60 and those who are immunocompromised continue to be the most at risk. If you have questions, please refer to the CDCs and WHOs resource guides.
Read this article:
- How to add contacts to your Yahoo Mail account manually in 2 ways - Business Insider - Business Insider - June 20th, 2020
- Donald Trump: Drew Brees will 'regret' apologizing after comments on national anthem protests - Yahoo Sports - June 20th, 2020
- 'Whitewashed and erased': There's a reason Juneteenth isn't taught in schools, educators say - Yahoo News - June 20th, 2020
- The controversial ice cream changing its 'derogatory' name - Yahoo News Australia - June 20th, 2020
- From '100 percent' to 'a disaster': A timeline on how MLB's season has been pushed to the brink - Yahoo Sports - June 20th, 2020
- The Future of Stadiums: How will America's sports venues be transformed by the pandemic? - Yahoo Sports - June 20th, 2020
- 'Into The Wild' bus removed from Alaska wilderness - Yahoo News - June 20th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Fact-checking claims it might have started in August 2019 - Yahoo News - June 20th, 2020
- Tucker Carlson warns that Black Lives Matter is 'more popular than the president' - Yahoo Entertainment - June 20th, 2020
- How a filmmaker's zero-budget horror topped the box office in virus-hit America - Yahoo! Voices - June 20th, 2020
- Meet the Su-25: Russia's Sort-of A-10 Warthog - Yahoo News - June 20th, 2020
- University of Virginia changes logo, removing design linked to school's history with slavery - Yahoo Sports - June 20th, 2020
- Travelers accused of breaking quarantine set to leave Hawaii - Yahoo News - June 20th, 2020
- Uncle Ben's rice: 'Now is the right time' to change - Yahoo News - June 20th, 2020
- Some out-of-work Americans are waiting in line overnight hoping to get their claims processed - Yahoo News - June 20th, 2020
- Trump on coronavirus testing: If we stopped testing right now, wed have very few cases, if any - Yahoo News - June 20th, 2020
- Drew Brees addresses NFL players kneeling in 2020: 'I will never agree with anybody disrespecting the flag' - Yahoo Sports - June 6th, 2020
- Celtics owner Wyc Grousbeck offers thoughts on NBA's 22-team return plan - Yahoo Sports - June 6th, 2020
- Trump says the economy will cure the 'very sad problem' of police killing blacks - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- Italy hopes EU nations will open borders to Italians from June 15 - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- May's jobs report surprise masked weaknesses that could make the rebound a 'head fake' - Yahoo Finance - June 6th, 2020
- For the first time, Mexico records more COVID-19 deaths in a day than the U.S. - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- J.C. Penney to Proceed With DIP Financing - Yahoo Finance - June 6th, 2020
- How this week changed America forever - Yahoo Finance - June 6th, 2020
- People have been frightened to go back to hospitals and clinics: UCLA Hospital System CEO - Yahoo Finance - June 6th, 2020
- Enraged New York driver who chased protesters with blades attached to arm is arrested - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- George W. Bush calls on US to examine its 'tragic failures' - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- Wall St. pro says the current rally reminds him of March 2009 - Yahoo Finance - June 6th, 2020
- Oils Recovery Is Being Threatened by the Discord Rattling OPEC+ - Yahoo Finance - June 6th, 2020
- Eye of the storm: African Development Bank chief Akinwumi Adesina - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- Gregg Popovich unleashes fiery statement on Trump: 'What we have is a fool in place of a president' - Yahoo Sports - June 6th, 2020
- Breaking with party, GOP senator says rebuke of Trump 'necessary' - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- Fired watchdog tells Congress he informed top officials about probe into Pompeo and wife - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- Detained US Navy veteran freed by Iran as part of deal - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- 'Tiger King' update: Sheriff says will of Carole Baskin's late husband Don Lewis was forged - Yahoo Entertainment - June 6th, 2020
- On sad anniversary, few to mourn the D-Day dead in Normandy - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- Wearing Face Masks and Social Distancing Actually Work to Contain COVID-19, According to a New Study - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- Denver police ordered to stop using tear gas and plastic bullets in protests - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- Postcards from the edge: Snapshots of European football's return - Yahoo Sports - June 1st, 2020
- FBI's top lawyer, Dana Boente, ousted amid Fox News criticism for role in Flynn investigation - Yahoo News - June 1st, 2020
- Damian Lillard doesnt plan to participate in resumed NBA season if Blazers don't have true opportunity to make playoffs - Yahoo Sports - June 1st, 2020
- Andy Cohen rehomed beloved dog after 'incident' with son: 'A piece of my heart is gone' - Yahoo Entertainment - June 1st, 2020
- Trump's draft executive order targeting social media companies sparks battle inside the White House - Yahoo News - June 1st, 2020
- Dave Matthews speaks out during live-stream about George Floyd and police brutality: 'It is shameful' - Yahoo Entertainment - June 1st, 2020
- Zion Williamson files for protective order from demand he admit receiving illegal benefits at Duke - Yahoo Sports - June 1st, 2020
- One of the coldest places on Earth is experiencing a record-breaking heat wave - Yahoo News - June 1st, 2020
- Walmart stores suffer damage from George Floyd protests and looting several hundred forced to close early - Yahoo Finance - June 1st, 2020
- Dragon-riding astronauts join exclusive inner circle at NASA - Yahoo News - June 1st, 2020
- EU urges U.S. to reconsider decision to cut ties with WHO - Yahoo News - June 1st, 2020
- Asymptomatic COVID-19 cases may be more common than suspected - Yahoo News - June 1st, 2020
- Turner: 'The Match' was most-watched golf event in cable history - Yahoo Sports - June 1st, 2020
- If Kevin Stefanski can't turn around Baker Mayfield who is 'way more talented' than Kirk Cousins Browns are in trouble - Yahoo Sports - June 1st, 2020
- China-India border: Why tensions are rising between the neighbours - Yahoo News - June 1st, 2020
- Kentucky Basketball: Where the Wildcats stand in Yahoo NBA Mock Draft - A Sea Of Blue - June 1st, 2020
- Oil Trades at Six-Week High on Supply Cuts and Demand Recovery - Yahoo Canada Finance - May 15th, 2020
- FBI serves warrant on senator in investigation of stock sales linked to coronavirus - Yahoo Parenting - May 15th, 2020
- Man and woman 'found walking on road with body parts in suitcases' - Yahoo News Australia - May 15th, 2020
- Moscow says it ascribed over 60% of coronavirus deaths in April to other causes - Yahoo News - May 15th, 2020
- Letters to the Editor: Ahmaud Arbery's killing was heinous, but it wasn't a surprise - Yahoo News - May 15th, 2020
- The pandemic may have solved MLB's most polarizing debate: Get ready for the universal DH - Yahoo Sports - May 15th, 2020
- Philippines evacuates hundreds of thousands as typhoon makes landfall - Yahoo News - May 15th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Scientists want to investigate if mouthwash kills the infection - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 15th, 2020
- Former MLB manager Art Howe in ICU with coronavirus - Yahoo Sports - May 15th, 2020
- Surviving the coronavirus is one thing. Recovering is another - Yahoo News - May 15th, 2020
- Why 14.7% unemployment doesnt tell the whole story: Yahoo U - Yahoo Finance - May 14th, 2020
- TSMC to Build Chip Plant in Arizona With Government Support - Yahoo Finance Australia - May 14th, 2020
- Coronavirus: What American workers should know about their rights as the economy reopens - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2020
- Companies are dropping big hints about the 'new normal' once coronavirus lockdowns end - Yahoo Finance - May 14th, 2020
- Wuhan reopened last month. Now, new coronavirus infections spark mass testing and renewed fears - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2020
- Why this inactive slugger might be MLB's highest-paid player in 2020 - Yahoo Sports - May 14th, 2020
- Goodbye offices? Working from home might be here to stay - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2020
- Ahmaud Arbery: What do we know about the case? - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2020
- Rand Paul: Pandemic Response Marred by Wrong Prediction after Wrong Prediction - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2020
- Report: Joe Tessitore, Booger McFarland will not return to ESPN's MNF booth - Yahoo Sports - May 14th, 2020
- UFC 249 delivers a welcome distraction from pandemic-afflicted world - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2020
- 'More than sufficient probable cause' in US killing of black jogger - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2020
- Jerry Stiller's death has a baseball star from the 1990s unexpectedly trending - Yahoo Sports - May 14th, 2020
- Sources: NBA commissioner Adam Silver says 'there will be a series of bad options' regarding continuation of season - Yahoo Sports - May 14th, 2020
- Supreme Court appears split on whether Congress and prosecutors can see Trump's tax returns - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2020
- Tom Brady slams report claiming his relationship with Patriots OC Josh McDaniels had deteriorated - Yahoo Sports - May 14th, 2020