The criteria for determining who has achieved human spaceflight varies. The Fdration Aronautique Internationale defines the cosmic threshold as any flight above the Krmn line 62 miles (100km), a definition recognised by every country, except the US Department of Defense in the 1960s. As of September 26, 2019, 565 people from 38 countries have boldly gone to space.
The last half-century has witnessed the death of about 30 astronauts and cosmonauts while training or attempting dangerous space missions.
However, the overwhelming majority of these deaths occurred either on the ground or technically within Earths atmosphere.
Of the 550 people who have ventured into space, only three have actually died there.
The first space station to park itself above Earths atmosphere was the (then) USSRs Salyut 1, which launched without a crew on April 19, 1971.
SEE HERE:NASAs best pictures of Earth from the International Space Station
Only a few days later, a crew of three Soviets launched aboard Soyuz 10 intent on entering the space station and remaining in orbit for a month.
Though the Soyuz 10 crew managed to safely dock with Salyut 1, issues with the entry hatch prevented them from entering the space station.
The USSR made another attempt at accessing the space station a few months later, on June 6, on the Soyuz 11 mission.
Unlike the previous crew, the three Soyuz 11 cosmonauts Georgi Dobrovolski, Vladislav Volkov and Viktor Patsayev successfully entered Salyut 1.
Once orbiting Earth, the trio spent the following three weeks not only setting a new record for the longest time spent in space, but conducting many of scientific experiments focused on how the body deals with extended periods of weightlessness.
On June 29, the three cosmonauts returned to Soyuz 11 to began their descent to Earth.
To those on the ground, everything about Soyuz 11s reentry seemed to go off without a hitch.
The spacecraft appeared to make it through the atmosphere just fine, ultimately landing in Kazakhstan as planned.
However, it was not until recovery crews reached the spacecraft they discovered all three crew members were dead.
On opening the hatch, they found all three men in their couches, motionless, with dark-blue patches on their faces and trails of blood from their noses and ears.
They removed them from the descent module. Dobrovolski was still warm.
Based on the doctors reports, the cause of death was suffocation.
Go here to read the rest:
How many astronauts have died in space? Who were the first astronauts to fly in space? - Express.co.uk
- NASA terrified it could be shut out from the International Space Station next year - Express.co.uk - November 17th, 2019
- Spacewalk today: Astronauts at International Space Station take on one of the most complex spacewalks ever - CBS News - November 17th, 2019
- NASA news: Space Station astronauts share breathtaking views of Earth from the ISS - Express.co.uk - November 17th, 2019
- Life on the Space Station is about to get really weird and lonely - Wired.co.uk - November 17th, 2019
- 'Get back to the moon and forget the orbiting space station' - Politico - November 17th, 2019
- The story behind the first batch of cookies in space and the first zero-gravity oven - CNN - November 17th, 2019
- You could be booking an Earth-view room at the Von Braun Space Station by 2025 - SYFY WIRE - November 17th, 2019
- Astronauts Will Take 4 of the Most Challenging Spacewalks Ever to Fix a Dark Matter Experiment - Space.com - November 17th, 2019
- Mankato native designed patch for upcoming NASA mission to the International Space Station - Mankato Free Press - November 17th, 2019
- Korea's first and only astronaut shares her story in Stanwood - The Daily Herald - November 17th, 2019
- Wine cellar in space: 12 bottles arrive for year of aging - Tuscaloosa News - November 17th, 2019
- Virtual Reality Project Shows Life and Science on the Space Station - Space.com - November 9th, 2019
- A Journey to Mars Starts on the Space Station - Space.com - November 9th, 2019
- Adidas is partnering with the International Space Station to test products in space - CNN - November 9th, 2019
- Satellite built by students soars to space on mission to map heat in Phoenix, other cities - AZCentral - November 9th, 2019
- 2 Mainers to be aboard International Space Station at same time - WMTW Portland - November 9th, 2019
- A startup just launched red wine to the International Space Station to age for 12 months - TechCrunch - November 9th, 2019
- Space station receives spacewalking gear, new baking oven - Spaceflight Now - November 9th, 2019
- Solar Cells from STAMI Members Reach the International Space Station for Testing - Georgia Tech News Center - November 9th, 2019
- Another Mainer to Join the International Space Station in April - NECN - November 9th, 2019
- New Bill Would Extend U.S. Operation of Space Station - Government Technology - November 9th, 2019
- International Space Station receives a dozen bottles of fine wine - The Independent - November 9th, 2019
- Record-Setting X-Ray Burst From Massive Thermonuclear Blast Detected From Space Station - SciTechDaily - November 9th, 2019
- Indias planned space station to reportedly have room for three astronauts aboard it - Firstpost - November 9th, 2019
- adidas Partners with International Space Station National Lab - Fortress of Solitude - November 9th, 2019
- To watch the International Space Station go by, all you need is clear skies and the schedule - CNN - November 2nd, 2019
- Radiation Experiment, Cookie Oven and More Headed to Space Station on Cygnus Cargo Ship - Space.com - November 2nd, 2019
- Indian Space Station Likely to Accommodate Three Astronauts - The Weather Channel - November 2nd, 2019
- Astronauts to get oven for space station cookies | US | Journal Gazette - Fort Wayne Journal Gazette - November 2nd, 2019
- Watch Astronauts Play Baseball on the International Space Station - Futurism - November 2nd, 2019
- Want to watch? An Antares is set to launch Saturday from Wallops to the space station - Daily Press - November 2nd, 2019
- Gateway Foundation hopes to make space vacations a reality in near future - KZTV Action 10 News - November 2nd, 2019
- Biofilms in Space and the Risks to Equipment and Astronauts - SciTechDaily - November 2nd, 2019
- International Space Station getting first oven for out-of-this-world cookies - WISHTV.com - November 2nd, 2019
- Off-Earth Manufacturing Could Help Astronauts Explore the Moon and Mars - Space.com - November 2nd, 2019
- This Virtual Reality SpaceBuzz Bus Lets You Feel What It's Like to See Earth from Above - Space.com - November 2nd, 2019
- China on pace to resume Long March 5 launches by end of year - Spaceflight Now - November 2nd, 2019
- For Astronauts on Mars, the Veggie of the Day May Be Asparagus - Space.com - November 2nd, 2019
- Unknown 'space station' filmed above San Diego in 'best ever UFO footage' - Daily Star - November 2nd, 2019
- Moonrise at sunrise seen from the International Space Station ImaGeo - Discover Magazine - October 30th, 2019
- Lamborghini is sending carbon fiber to the International Space Station - CNET - October 30th, 2019
- Lamborghini will send an experiment to the International Space Station - Digital Trends - October 30th, 2019
- Low Space Station Flyover Monday Morning | Weather Blog - WDRB - October 30th, 2019
- Team machines: Why the next revolution in robotics is collaboration - Digital Trends - October 30th, 2019
- Astronaut will visit St. Louis to talk space, aliens and his latest record-breaking flight - STLtoday.com - October 30th, 2019
- Israeli antiradiation vest to be tested in outer space - ISRAEL21c - October 30th, 2019
- Astronaut will be featured speaker at County Prayer Breakfast - Times Herald-Record - October 30th, 2019
- SpaceX wants to land Starship on the moon within three years, president says, with people soon after - CNBC - October 30th, 2019
- Space tour: Hazza Al Mansouri's video shows life on board the International Space Station - The National - October 30th, 2019
- Life in space: 20,000 people will leave Earth in the next 25 years - Possibly millions - Express.co.uk - October 30th, 2019
- Caspers Fire Station No. 1 has a variety of deficiencies a rebuild would address - Oil City News - October 30th, 2019
- Satellite surveillance may be less of a privacy concern than you think -- for now - CNET - October 30th, 2019
- Lab-grown Meat Produced in Space for First Time Aboard International Space Station - Newsweek - October 8th, 2019
- Catch a quick glance of the International Space Station in the South Jersey sky - Press of Atlantic City - October 8th, 2019
- Exploring Regenerative Medicine in Microgravity Aboard the International Space Station - UPJ Athletics - October 8th, 2019
- NSF/CASIS Collaboration on Transport Phenomena Research on the International Space Station (ISS) to Benefit Life on Earth - IIT Today - October 8th, 2019
- Brimstone battery bags on board Space Station - FW Business - October 8th, 2019
- Expedition 61 Begins: A Series Of Spacewalks Await the International Space Station Crew This Month! - Mashable India - October 8th, 2019
- Boeing Plans To Invest $20 Million In Space Tourism Company Virgin Galactic - Forbes - October 8th, 2019
- A volcano blows its top, seen from space - SYFY WIRE - October 8th, 2019
- This Week @ NASA: Expedition 60 Crew Returns Safely from the Space Station - SCVTV - October 8th, 2019
- Cancer cells to be tested in zero gravity on Chinese Space Station - E&T Magazine - October 8th, 2019
- International Space Station flying over Cape Hatteras Thursday Night - Island Free Press - October 8th, 2019
- NSF/CASIS Collaboration on Tissue Engineering and Mechanobiology on the International Space Station (ISS) to Benefit Life on Earth - IIT Today - October 8th, 2019
- Moncton's La Station Is A Co-Working Space For Everyone From Artists To Solo Entrepreneurs - Huddle Today - October 8th, 2019
- Soyuz ferries three crew members to space station - Spaceflight Now - September 26th, 2019
- NASA Wants to Test New Moon Spacesuits on the Space Station in 2023 - Space.com - September 26th, 2019
- Japan Is Launching an Unpiloted Cargo Ship to the Space Station Today. Watch Live - Space.com - September 26th, 2019
- Russia: We Know Cause of Space Station Leak but Haven't Told NASA - Futurism - September 26th, 2019
- Russia shows off rocket that will launch astronauts to International Space Station - Fox Business - September 26th, 2019
- How to Watch the International Space Station Fly Over the US: Flight Path, Time and More Info - Newsweek - September 26th, 2019
- Watch as Maine astronaut Jessica Meir arrives at the International Space Station - Bangor Daily News - September 26th, 2019
- Bags made by local companies headed to space station | Local | Journal Gazette - Fort Wayne Journal Gazette - September 26th, 2019
- When can I next see the International Space Station over Norfolk? | Tech - Eastern Daily Press - September 26th, 2019
- 'Sheikh Zayed's dream is coming true': Major Hazza Al Mansouri reveals pride before blast-off - The National - September 26th, 2019
- NASA sees space station cross the solar eclipse - CNET - August 25th, 2017
- International Space Station Astronauts to See Solar Eclipse ... - August 25th, 2017
- Space station transits sun during eclipse - EarthSky - August 25th, 2017
- International Space Station Only Visible in Wyoming During Eclipse - Kgab - August 25th, 2017
- Space Station astronauts catch sight of monster storm Hurricane Harvey - Mashable - August 25th, 2017