Eight years ago, Ben Williams was just a vodka fan with a penchant for tinkering. Equipped with a 13-gallon still and a head full of knowledge acquired via books and YouTube videos on distillation, Williams took to his garage with grain, sugar, and yeast to make a vodka better than any hed ever tried before.
That is, of course, until the police showed up. Distilling spirits at home still isnt legal in Texas some might call it moonshining and Williams says that the officer who saw the still in his garage politely told him to pack it up and stop making booze in the neighborhood. Not wanting to put an end to his pursuit of the best vodka in the world, Williams moved his operation to a friends barn, and in its most rudimentary form, Highway Vodka was born.
Williams got the idea for a hemp-based spirit after visiting a marijuana dispensary owned by a friend in California, where recreational cannabis consumption is legal, in 2016. While there, he met some distillers who were experimenting with different uses for cannabis in spirits, and was intrigued by the prospect. I started ordering any parts of the plant that I could find, just playing around and making tons of batches, Williams says. I ended up settling on the easiest thing I could get, which was hemp seeds. You can walk into any Whole Foods and get that. After mixing the hemp seeds with corn and yeast, Williams realized hed stumbled onto a winning formula.
To his surprise, hemp was a particularly good stock for making vodka. The clear spirit can be distilled out of pretty much anything starchy, including potatoes and grains like rye and sorghum. There seems to be some science behind hemps ability to produce a superior vodka. Williams noticed that the hemp-based vodka was producing higher yields (read: more booze) in each batch, which can be attributed to the amino acids in the hemp acting as a nutrient for the yeasts that produce the alcohol. Upon further research, I figured out that the yeast was living longer and converting more of the sugar to alcohol, he says. When more of that sugar is metabolized, it pushes down the calorie count of the spirit, which makes it appealing for the many drinkers in search of a low-calorie libation.
Later, Williams discovered that leaving the thick layer of hemp oil that formed on top of each batch helped protect the mash, while producing a smoother mouthfeel in the finished product. It looks kind of nasty, like olive oil sitting on top of oatmeal. But one day I got lazy, because this was just my personal batch, and dumped the whole batch in the still, says Williams. And that changed everything. It was the best stuff that I had ever ran.
He started performing blind taste tests on friends and fellow spirits enthusiasts, and won over almost all of them. Leveraging his connections in the restaurant industry Williamss brother Chris is the chef-owner of Lucilles and a prominent fixture in the citys dining scene he started sharing the vodka with bartenders, who offered valuable feedback.
Now, after trying a slew of different grain bills to produce hemp-based vodka and jumping through countless regulatory hoops, Highway Vodka has the capacity to produce nearly 30,000 gallons of the clear spirit each year. Its still located in that same South Houston horse barn, owned by Williamss business partner Wendell Robbins III, and plans are in the works to expand the space with a new tasting room. As the distillery continues to grow, Williamss enthusiasm for its top priority taking hemp-based vodka mainstream is palpable.
After seeing the grassroots popularity of Highway Vodka, Williams began the arduous process of obtaining regulatory approval to produce a vodka made from hempseed in 2017. Considering that both are heavily regulated by all levels of government, it took more than two years for Williams and his business partner to secure the permits they needed to sell the vodka commercially.
For those wondering if hemp-based alcohol is in fact legal, youre not alone. Without fail, every time Im out doing an event, somebodys going to ask me if they drink the vodka, are they going to be able to pass a drug test, Williams says. It took me two and a half years to get through the federal government. Do you really think I would be standing here with you in the middle of a Total Wine store if it wasnt legal?
The regulatory delays actually served as a benefit when it came time to figuring out how to filter the hemp-based vodka. In the beginning, Williams used what many a broke college student has used to improve the flavor of their cheap vodka: a Brita water pitcher. Using little chunks of activated charcoal, the pitcher filters out the impurities that give cheap vodka a bad taste and result in hangovers. Since Williams couldnt buy a Brita big enough to process thousands of gallons of vodka, he dissected one of the brands filters and used it as inspiration to build his own DIY system at a fraction of the cost of a commercial filter.
From there, Highway Vodka went straight into growth mode. The vodka became available to the public in February 2019, and is now sold at bars and liquor stores across the state of Texas. The company has also recently started distributing its vodka in other states, including Georgia, California, and Florida, and is planning to release a barrel-aged, limited-edition hemp-based whiskey later this year. Expansion is in the works locally, too Williams and Robbins are currently building a tasting room on the distillerys 7.5-acre grounds thats intended to feel like a total escape from the city while being only a short drive from Downtown.
Unfortunately, Williams doesnt think that the wave of marijuana legalization thats sweeping the country will allow Highway Vodka to expand into the stoner space. The government isnt going to allow that, he says. Even just CBD, which is federally legal, you cant blend with alcohol. I dont think legalization would really change much for us. I dont see a future where manufacturers would be able to blend spirits and cannabis like that.
Sign up for our newsletter.
- 5 Best CBD Oil for Anxiety - Sequim Gazette - July 27th, 2021
- Hemp Oil vs CBD Oil : What They Are and Why It Matters... - marketscreener.com - July 27th, 2021
- CBD products being recalled in Ireland because they contain too much THC - TheJournal.ie - July 27th, 2021
- CBD Hemp Oil Market is expected to Witness Significant Growth between 2021-2030 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - July 27th, 2021
- Medical Cannabis Market Size to Reach 47.15 Billion in 2027 | Increasing Use of Medical Marijuana to Alleviate Symptoms, Treat Diseases and Conditions... - July 27th, 2021
- CBD Topicals Benefits and Uses, and Most Common Types Available - We Heart - July 27th, 2021
- State reps gain industry perspective at Bar-Way Farm hemp tour - GazetteNET - July 27th, 2021
- CBD Oil Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Application (Food and Beverages, Personal Care/Cosmetics, Pharma and Nutraceuticals and... - July 27th, 2021
- The secret world of hemp farming - Stratford-Upon-Avon Herald - July 27th, 2021
- 5 Tips to Keep in Mind When Cooking With CBD Oil - Salon Priv Magazine - July 16th, 2021
- United States Cannabidiol (CBD) Oil Market Research Report 2021-2026 by Form, Source, Application, Distribution Channel, & State with Cumulative... - July 16th, 2021
- Massive Houston hemp facility has its eyes on a cannabis-infused future - Houston Chronicle - July 16th, 2021
- Review: 22Red's CBD Isolate Tincture is Worth the Price - Your Money Geek - July 16th, 2021
- CBD and rugby: Why are the sport's biggest names turning to cannabis products? - BBC Sport - July 16th, 2021
- CBD-Infused Beverages Market Is Expected to Exceed $14 Billion by End of 2026 - PRNewswire - July 16th, 2021
- Pet CBD Market drive by the increasing prevalence of GIT and bowel related disorders among pets | TMR Research Study - BioSpace - July 16th, 2021
- Spotlight: CBD For Pain & Aches: Four Best Ways To Use CBD To Find Relief - Magnetic Magazine - July 16th, 2021
- CBD Oil Extract Market Share, Size 2021 Emerging Rapidly with Global Latest Trends, Growth, Revenue, Demand and Forecast to 2027 The JC Star - The JC... - July 16th, 2021
- US Hemp Oil Market 2021 Recent Industry Developments and Growth Strategies Adopted by Top Key Players Worldwide and Assessment to 2027 26 Sports -... - July 16th, 2021
- BestCBDpromo Offers the Best Daily Deals On CBD Oils, Edibles, Drinks, Topicals and More - Digital Journal - July 16th, 2021
- Global CBD Hemp Oil Market 2021 Industry Future Growth, Key Player Analysis and Forecast 2026 The JC Star - The JC Star - July 16th, 2021
- The entourage effect: Is cannabis more than just THC and CBD? - New Atlas - July 16th, 2021
- Cellular biologist says CBD oil saved her son's life - The GrowthOp - June 20th, 2021
- 3 CBD Products to Help Your Workout Routine - SF Weekly - June 20th, 2021
- Kadenwood Achieves Largest CBD Retail Distribution Network in the US with the Acquisition of CBD Wellness Brand Social CBD - PRNewswire - June 20th, 2021
- CBDistillery Sets Aside Thousands Of Products To Advance The Efficacy of Hemp-Derived Wellness Products - PRNewswire - June 20th, 2021
- CBD Oil Extract Market Size and Analysis, Services With Its Application and Access Type by Future Forecast 2021-2028 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper -... - June 20th, 2021
- Skip the Aloe: How CBD Can Help With Sunburn - Green Entrepreneur - June 20th, 2021
- Middle East and Africa CBD Oil Market Industry Analysis And Detailed Profiles Of Top Industry Players 2021 2027 Says DBMR The Manomet Current - The... - June 20th, 2021
- CBD Capsules or Oils Which Is Better? - EconoTimes - June 20th, 2021
- Cannabidiol Oil (CBD Oil) Market Along with an Analysis of the Competitive Landscape 2021-2028 Clark County Blog - Clark County Blog - June 20th, 2021
- CBD Hemp Oil Market Strategic Imperatives for Success and Growth Analysis Clark County Blog - Clark County Blog - June 20th, 2021
- US hemp oil Market || Who are the Key Players in Market and How are They Performing in recent years? | Analysis and Forecast till 2027 KSU | The... - June 20th, 2021
- Hemp Oil in Dietary Supplements Market || What Is Driving the Production and Growth of Market? The Courier - The Courier - June 20th, 2021
- USA-Grown Organic CBD Topicals With Aim to Improve Americans' Lifestyles - PRNewswire - May 31st, 2021
- Pacific Roots Introduces Wellness and Pleasure Line Products Infused With CBD - PRNewswire - May 31st, 2021
- More Canadians turning to cannabis to help deal with pandemic pressures - CBC.ca - May 31st, 2021
- Global CBD Oil Extract Market is Expected to Grow at an Impressive CAGR by 2028 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - May 31st, 2021
- Global CBD Oil in Beauty Products Market Rising Trends,Competitive Strategies,Market Size,Latest Technologies Research And Future Scope 2025 ... - May 31st, 2021
- Deal: These CBD Gummies Will Cure Your Sunday Scaries - InsideHook - May 31st, 2021
- Impact of Covid-19 on CBD Hemp Oil Market 2020-2028 Canopy Growth Corporation, Medical Marijuana, Inc., Canndeo Limited, Aphria Inc. The Courier -... - May 31st, 2021
- Why Dont You Feel the Effects of CBD? - Phones Wiki - May 31st, 2021
- CBD Oil: What are 9 Proven or Possible Health Benefits? - May 27th, 2021
- Top 3 CBD Oils for Pain [That Actually Work] - 2021 Guide - May 27th, 2021
- CBD: Safe and effective? - Mayo Clinic - May 27th, 2021
- Can CBD Oil Be Used As An Antifungal? - nativenewsonline.net - May 27th, 2021
- WVU Today | As CBD oil sales hit the gas, WVU researcher studies its effects on driving performance - WVU Today - May 27th, 2021
- CBD Oil Market is Expected to Grow at an Impressive CAGR by 2028 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - May 27th, 2021
- Summer Means a Return to Activity, and Time for Cibadol Products - PRNewswire - May 27th, 2021
- Well Care Botanicals CBD Topicals: Our Review - Ministry of Hemp - May 27th, 2021
- 9 Best CBD Bundles and Starter Packs of 2021 - Healthline - May 20th, 2021
- What is CBD oil and how does it benefit your pets? - The Indian Express - May 20th, 2021
- CBD Oil Market 2021 Overview with Demographic Data and Industry Growth Trends 2028 The Courier - The Courier - May 20th, 2021
- Tips on Using Cannabis Oil for Treating Medical Conditions - The Leaf Online - May 20th, 2021
- What Is the Strongest CBD Oil and Where Can You Buy It? - The Leaf Online - May 20th, 2021
- Breakfast recipe: CBD oil overnight oats with pear and honey - Metro.co.uk - May 20th, 2021
- Millennia in the making: unlocking the medicinal value of CBD - Drug Target Review - May 20th, 2021
- I Took CBD For Two Weeks. Here's How It Made Me Feel - Longevity LIVE - Longevity LIVE - May 20th, 2021
- The global medical cannabis market is expected to reach US$ 49,116.4 million by 2028 from US$ 8,926.6 million in 2020 - Yahoo Finance - May 20th, 2021
- $18+ Billion Worldwide Industrial Hemp Industry to 2025 - Key Drivers, Restraints, Opportunities and Challenges - PRNewswire - May 20th, 2021
- CBD oil processor offers THC 'remediation,' but regulators urge caution - Pine Journal - May 16th, 2021
- How Using CBD Oil Can Give You a Good Night's Sleep - Critical Blast - May 16th, 2021
- 4 Ways To Check If Your Dog's CBD is Safe And Effective - - VENTS Magazine - May 16th, 2021
- Europe CBD Oil Market Forecast Including Growth Factors, Types And Application By Regional Geography 2021 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - May 16th, 2021
- $18+ billion worldwide industrial hemp industry to 2025 - key drivers, restraints, opportunities and challenges Greenway Magazine - Greenway - May 16th, 2021
- Top 5 CBD Snacks That You Should Try - UrbanMatter - May 16th, 2021
- High cannabis sales during the pandemic allows Calgary business to expand - Globalnews.ca - May 16th, 2021
- Global Hemp Derived CBD Oil Market 2020-2025 Industry Status and Trends Outlook By Type and Application Global Marketers Brockville Observer -... - May 16th, 2021
- CBD for pets: does it work and is it safe? - ZME Science - May 16th, 2021
- Hemp Oil in Dietary Supplements Market 2021 Is Booming Across the Globe by Share, Size, Growth, Segments and Forecast to 2027 | The Courier - The... - May 16th, 2021
- Hemp Oil Market (COVID-19 Impact Analysis) 2021 to See Major Growth in Revenue, Leading Players -Isodiol International Inc, HempLife Today, Hemp Oil... - May 16th, 2021
- Mental Health Awareness Week: Cannabis, CBD, and Anxiety - The Cannabis Exchange - May 16th, 2021
- US hemp oil Market: The Secret History And Future Growth | Value Share and Key Trends 2021-2027|| POST COVID-19 Unlock Opportunities with Coronavirus... - May 16th, 2021
- CBD of Denver to Present at the Investor Hot Seat on May 20 - StreetInsider.com - May 16th, 2021
- Cannabidiol Oil (CBD Oil) Market Size is Estimited To Reach USD XX Mn By 2023 with CAGR 36% Brockville Observer - Brockville Observer - May 16th, 2021
- Global Cannabidiol Oil (CBD Oil) Market Applications across Diverse Industry Verticals will emerge in Favor of Market Growth to Boost Sales Revenue ... - May 16th, 2021
- Worldwide Cannabinoid Hemp Oil Industry to 2025 - Legalised Supply of Quality-controlled CBD Oil for Sale is Driving Growth - PRNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- Best CBD Products To Try This Spring - vmagazine.com - April 23rd, 2021
- Martha Stewart, Jaleel White and more promote cannabis use: Experts weigh in on THC vs. CBD - USA TODAY - April 23rd, 2021
- The Chemistry of Delta-8 'New and Improved' THC - American Council on Science and Health - April 23rd, 2021