Alexa Renee, KXTV 3:14 PM. PDT August 17, 2017
7. Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park (Photo: TripAdvisor)
A right wing group has been granted legal permission through the National Parks Service to protest at Crissy Field in San Francisco.
The group, Patriot Prayer, obtained a "First Amendment" permit to be at the site Saturday, Aug. 26 from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m., according to KGO.
So what is a "First Amendment" permit?
Under federal law policy, the National Park Service (NPS) recognizes freedom of speech, press, religion, and public assembly, according to their website.
However, the agency also has an interest in protecting park resources and the public's use of parks, and is given the right to regulate events held on national parks. The NPS requires a permit establishing a date, time, location, number of participants and other details related to a First Amendment event.
The content of First Amendment activities doesn't need to reflect the NPS mission or views to be reviewed for a permit.
Each national park has its own set of details and rules for a permit but in general, a group of more than 25 people are required to apply for a permit to hold a First Amendment event.
Crissy Field is apark unit of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area. A First Amendment permit is required for use of the area if a group will have more than 25 people, is utilizing special equipment such as generators and tents, if the organizers would like priority use of the area and if the group is requesting an area not otherwise open to the public, according to the NPS.
While a First Amendment permit is free to apply for at Golden Gate Park, large groups require a Special Events permit application fee of $45 and a certificate of liability insurance for $1,000,000.
Permit costs are separate from application costs and can range from free to $40,000, according to the NPS.
Ten business days is the minimum amount of time required to review most permit applications but larger events may take more time.
Some sensitive areas could be restricted and at least one park ranger needs to be present during an event as well as when loading and unloading.
For more details about First Amendment permits at national parks go to http://www.nps.gov.
- Facebook has a political fake news problem. Can we fix it without eroding the First Amendment? - NBC News - October 27th, 2019
- The Panhandling Problem: When public safety clashes with the 1st Amendment - WCJB - October 27th, 2019
- Can a black high school guard be fired for quoting the n-word? | TheHill - The Hill - October 27th, 2019
- The Case Against Free Speech: The First Amendment, Fascism, and the Future of Dissent - The Humanist - October 27th, 2019
- Liz Cheney Calls Out Dems' New House Bill Intended to 'Circumvent the First Amendment' - Townhall - October 27th, 2019
- Mitch McConnell slams election-security bill as 'transparent attack on the First Amendment' - The Washington TImes - October 27th, 2019
- Are Corporate Employees Protected by the First Amendment? - IPWatchdog.com - August 25th, 2017
- NAACP asks for meeting with Goodell over Colin Kaepernick's First Amendment rights - CBSSports.com - August 25th, 2017
- The ACLU was practicing a core First Amendment duty - Washington Post - August 25th, 2017
- Letter: The right has hijacked the First Amendment to preach hate ... - INFORUM - August 25th, 2017
- Lawyer who objected to mandatory bar's PAC contribution loses First Amendment appeal - ABA Journal - August 25th, 2017
- LA Times: Restrict the Second Amendment at First Amendment rallies - Hot Air - August 25th, 2017
- Is advocating suicide a crime under the First Amendment? - OUPblog (blog) - August 22nd, 2017
- Letter First Amendment is a fundamental building block of our society - Petoskey News-Review - August 22nd, 2017
- How far do the First Amendment's protections go when it comes to hate speech? - The San Diego Union-Tribune - August 20th, 2017
- First Amendment in Peril? - City Journal - August 20th, 2017
- Letter: Peculiar First Amendment interpretation - MetroWest Daily News - August 20th, 2017
- Police must act fast to protect First Amendment rights: Robert Shibley - USA TODAY - August 18th, 2017
- Podcast: Trump, Twitter and the First Amendment - Constitution Daily (blog) - August 18th, 2017
- Last weekend's violent protests prompt First Amendment conversation - WBKO - August 18th, 2017
- Equality, Justice and the First Amendment - ACLU (blog) - August 18th, 2017
- Between the lines: Cops caught in the First Amendment war zone - Police News - August 18th, 2017
- Theres no hate speech exception to the First Amendment - The ... - August 16th, 2017
- First Amendment banned from DC Metro literally! - Washington Post - August 16th, 2017
- There's No 'Nazi' Exception to the First Amendment - National Review - August 16th, 2017
- FIRST AMENDMENT: How far does it go? - Evening News and Tribune - August 15th, 2017
- Why the First Amendment won't protect Charlottesville white supremacists from being fired - MarketWatch - August 15th, 2017
- The First Amendment on the Grounds in Charlottesville - Lawfare (blog) - August 15th, 2017
- Can a Court Arbitrarily Conclude That 'Security' Overrules the First Amendment? - Reason (blog) - August 15th, 2017
- March on Google: Self-proclaimed 'First Amendment supporters' to ... - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - August 15th, 2017
- Militiamen came to Charlottesville as neutral First Amendment protectors, commander says - Washington Post - August 14th, 2017
- Editorial, 8/13: Court strikes right balance on Westboro ruling - Lincoln Journal Star - August 14th, 2017
- Beyond the First Amendment - Washington Times - August 14th, 2017
- Liberals need to stop messing with the First Amendment - Washington Examiner - August 13th, 2017
- Jeffrey Lord: 'CNN caved on the First Amendment' when it fired him - Fox News - August 13th, 2017
- First Amendment lawsuits pile up against governors who block ... - WJLA - August 13th, 2017
- DC's transit agency rejected ads touting the First Amendment (really) - Ars Technica - August 11th, 2017
- Symposium: A path through the thicket the First Amendment right of association - SCOTUSblog (blog) - August 11th, 2017
- ACLU Sues DC Metro After It Rejects Ad With Text Of 1st Amendment - NPR - August 11th, 2017
- Jeffrey Lord Speaks Out on Firing: 'CNN Caved on the First Amendment' - Mediaite - August 11th, 2017
- Newseum provides first amendment perspective - FederalNewsRadio.com - August 11th, 2017
- The First Amendment (Literally) Banned in DC - ACLU (blog) - August 10th, 2017
- Inside the First Amendment: When leaks dry up, we turn to FOIA ... - Meridian Star - August 10th, 2017
- The Fired Google Engineer, the First Amendment, and the Alt-Right - Xconomy - August 10th, 2017
- The First Amendment won't protect you from saying something your company doesn't like - Marketplace.org - August 9th, 2017
- The First Amendment: Freedom of speech in the workplace - WDAY - August 9th, 2017
- ACLU, Rutherford Institute say permit revocation violates First Amendment - The Charlottesville Newsplex - August 9th, 2017
- No shield needed: The First Amendment works just fine - The Union Leader - August 9th, 2017
- Liberal Students Unite Against First Amendment Rights of Conservatives on 'The Fosters' - NewsBusters (press release) (blog) - August 9th, 2017
- Bill Bennett on Leaker Journalists: First Amendment Not a License to ... - Fox News Insider - August 8th, 2017
- Country Singer Dustin Collins: 'Without the Second Amendment, There Is No First Amendment' (Exclusive) - Breitbart News - August 8th, 2017
- First Amendment: When leaks dry up, we turn to FOIA - hays Post - August 6th, 2017
- Letter: Anti-boycott law violates the First Amendment - Santa Cruz Sentinel - August 6th, 2017
- No Free Speech for You - Slate Magazine - August 5th, 2017
- EDITORIAL: First Amendment 2.0 - Loudoun Times-Mirror - August 5th, 2017
- In 'Direct Attack on the First Amendment,' Sessions Declares War on Leaks - Common Dreams - August 5th, 2017
- McGovern: Free speech may mean free pass for Michelle Carter - Boston Herald - August 4th, 2017
- How the First Amendment could save Don Jr. - The Hill (blog) - August 3rd, 2017
- Police confront 'First Amendment auditors' - Post Register - August 3rd, 2017
- Loudoun County resident's First Amendment case may benefit free-speech group's suit against Trump - Loudoun Times-Mirror - August 3rd, 2017
- Justice Souter, the First Amendment and the case of the synagogue standoff - Reuters - August 3rd, 2017
- RTDNA Joins Free Press Groups in Tracking First Amendment Abuse - Broadcasting & Cable - August 3rd, 2017
- Peter Berger: Students and First Amendment rights - vtdigger.org - August 3rd, 2017
- HiQ v. LinkedIn: Does First Amendment limit application of computer ... - Reuters - August 2nd, 2017
- SMU Becomes the Face of the Collegiate War On The First Amendment - The Hayride - August 2nd, 2017
- Promoting First Amendment censorship - Herald and News - August 2nd, 2017
- Court Rules Randall Violated First Amendment on Facebook - Loudoun Now - August 1st, 2017
- Free Speech & Republicans: First Amendment Trumps Punishing ... - National Review - August 1st, 2017
- The First Amendment: Free press, open meetings laws survive RI State House standoff - The Providence Journal - August 1st, 2017
- Unite the Right rally sparks First Amendment questions - The Daily Progress - August 1st, 2017
- Randy Krehbiel: Lankford says anti-LGBT organization is exercising First Amendment rights - Tulsa World (blog) - August 1st, 2017
- Unite the Right rally sparks First Amendment questions | Virginia ... - Roanoke Times - July 30th, 2017
- To restore First Amendment on campus, open universities to competition - Eagle-Tribune - July 30th, 2017
- Fake news or First Amendment? Defamation trial begins in case of ... - Richmond.com - July 29th, 2017
- President Snowflake could be violating the First Amendment by blocking people on Twitter - Death and Taxes - July 29th, 2017
- Big labor bullies First Amendment with Scientology playbook - OCRegister - July 29th, 2017
- Does the campus free speech bill protect First Amendment rights or restrict them? - News & Observer - July 28th, 2017
- Politicians' social media pages can be 1st Amendment forums, judge says - Ars Technica - July 28th, 2017
- LETTER: First Amendment is a one-way protection for religion - The Daily Freeman - July 28th, 2017
- Michael Flores: Attacks on our First Amendment need more attention - Madison.com - July 28th, 2017