All this oil is separated from the water with just a few lip seals. In the case of any leakage, the environmental impact will be huge. What if fishing lines damage your seal and cause a propulsion shaft seal leakage in the middle of the ocean?
Conventional propulsion shaft seals always have a small consumption of oil. Oil pollution will take place if you dont have a sealing system that ensures zero emissions of oil. If you care about the environment, a zero-emissions propulsion shaft seal is a possible solution.
The maritime industry is well on its way to a greener and more sustainable fleet. The main goal is to minimise the environmental impact of all vessels worldwide. The Fleet Transition Plan shows the ambition to reduce carbon intensity of its controlled fleet to 50% by 2030, compared to the level of 2008. Still, if we dont take more drastic measures, emissions will increase between 50% and 250% by 2050 under a business-as-usual scenario, according to the International Maritime Organization (IMO).
Its clear that we need to make more changes to ensure a greener fleet, minimising the footprint and being more eco-friendly. How could the propulsion systems of your vessels contribute to reach this goal?
Modernise your fleet and reduce oil emissions
Lagersmit has initiated and experienced a changing demand from its customers over the years. The transition from conventional propulsion shaft seals to air-type sealing systems is most striking. Ensuring zero emissions of oil is key and has the full attention of shipowners. Lagersmit is fully dedicated to supporting customers with the transition towards a more sustainable fleet, said Jan Willem Bongers, Sales Manager at Lagersmit.
Retrofitting your propulsion shaft seal with our eco-friendly Supreme SeaGuard Ventus shaft seal has never been easier. Our Supreme SeaGuard Ventus is a proven concept which is already installed on hundreds of vessels worldwide.
As dedicated shaft seal experts, we have developed a powerful solution which guarantees zero emissions of oil. At the same time, this prevents water from mixing with the oil. The Supreme SeaGuard Ventus is an intelligent, durable and self-regulating sealing solution for any type of vessel. A constant air flow prevents an oil-to-water interface and drains any leakage into a monitoring tank. With the Supreme SeaGuard Ventus seal you can continue to sail with mineral oils and ensure zero emissions.
Benefits of the Supreme SeaGuard Ventus sealing system:
Learn more about our self-regulating sealing solutions.
Monitor the condition of your vessels propulsion system to optimise efficiency
Another way to reduce your environmental footprint is to monitor the condition of your seal, by keeping a close eye on the condition of the seal and by intervening in time if things go wrong. This is where you can make the difference in terms of minimising your environmental footprint. The Supreme (SeaGuard) Ventus can monitor several vital functions of the seal and stern tube system.
The importance is obvious: operational feedback prevents surprises and ensures a stable performance of the propulsion system. The Supreme (SeaGuard) Ventus system ensures 24/7 feedback on: bearing clearance, temperatures and oil or water leakage drains into the vessel. This is what we call 100% intelligence.
Use EAL oil
EAL means lubricants that are biodegradable, non-bio accumulative and minimally toxic.
Changes, like the Vessel General Permit (VGP) and Vessel Incidental Discharge Act (VIDA), banish all mineral oil-to-water interfaces.
If you want to sail with an EAL, you have to check the compatibility of the EAL with the rubber compound of the seal. You can fit your propulsion shaft seal with Supreme FKM EAL lip seals, which are compatible with biodegradable oils.
With more than 160 years of experience in maritime solutions, weve seen a change in propulsion shaft seal demand. Multiple customers have already made the switch from mineral oils to EALs to meet the VGP/VIDA requirements. After years of sailing with EALs, customers want to switch back to mineral oils with air-type sealing systems due to performance issues. EALs are more expensive, which has led to a huge increase in total cost of ownership compared to mineral oils. Whether you choose to sail your vessel with EALs or with mineral oils and the air-type sealing systems, Lagersmit is here to help you!
Lagersmit, the Origin of Sealing Solutions. Get in touch for more information about our products or a no-obligation quotation.
- FreightWaves Classics: Port of Los Angeles is the nations busiest! - FreightWaves - June 15th, 2021
- How to Witness the Rare Polar Solar Eclipse - AFAR Media - June 15th, 2021
- Boyd Expands Global Footprint With State-of-the-Art Facility in Vietnam - I-Connect007 - June 15th, 2021
- Great white sharks preparing to return to Cape Breton | Saltwire - SaltWire Network - June 15th, 2021
- Portion of Cousino Rd. to be repaved in LaSalle - Monroe Evening News - June 13th, 2021
- Flag Day 2021: New Jersey's connection to the Stars and Stripes - NorthJersey.com - June 13th, 2021
- Nothing compares to the first local luscious strawberries of the season - Farming Life - June 13th, 2021
- Boyd Corporation Expands Global Footprint With State-of-the-Art Facility in Vietnam - Business Wire - June 13th, 2021
- Airway Heights prison guard gets 2 months for smuggling drugs inside. Prisoner who received the drugs? He got 56 months. - The Spokesman-Review - June 13th, 2021
- Seven years in prison for chief mate of cargo vessel where Philly feds found record 20 tons of cocaine - The Philadelphia Inquirer - June 13th, 2021
- J.B. Webb Bassmaster Classic will be one to remember - Sherman Denison Herald Democrat - June 13th, 2021
- Principality of Sealand - Become A Lord Or Lady With Sealand - June 2nd, 2021
- About Sealand | The Principality Of Sealand | Sealand History - June 2nd, 2021
- Antengene Announces Fifteen Clinical Studies and Results of Selinexor to be Presented at ASCO 2021 - Stockhouse - June 2nd, 2021
- Notice of Public Hearing | Legal Announcements | newsadvance.com - Lynchburg News and Advance - May 27th, 2021
- New initiative inspires coexistence with seals on Cape Cod beaches - PRNewswire - May 27th, 2021
- How many children did Aretha Franklin have and where are they now? - Smooth Radio - May 27th, 2021
- Mollie Tibbetts case recap: 'I wouldn't harm her,' boyfriend testifies in Cristhian Bahena Rivera's trial - Des Moines Register - May 27th, 2021
- Researchers try to ID source of ghost fishing nets - Yahoo News - May 27th, 2021
- Luck of the Jewish? - The Jewish Standard - May 27th, 2021
- Plywood boards used to protect New York establishments are repurposed into captivating sculptures - Archinect - May 27th, 2021
- Seal: Heidi Klum and I have never had co-parenting teamwork - Inside NoVA - May 27th, 2021
- This Manual 1967 Mercury Cougar 289 Is Looking for a New and Caring Owner - autoevolution - May 27th, 2021
- Breathe easier and guard yourself against airborne contaminants with this KN95 respirator mask - The Straits Times - May 27th, 2021
- Behind Guam but ahead of other insular areas - Saipan Tribune - May 27th, 2021
- Maintenance on Platt Road near Ann Arbor could affect traffic - MLive.com - May 24th, 2021
- Which geological period is called the Age of Fishes? The Weekend quiz - The Guardian - May 24th, 2021
- Seal Says He and Heidi Klum Have Never Had Teamwork Coparenting Their Kids - Us Weekly - May 24th, 2021
- A grand strategy of resolute restraint - Brookings Institution - May 24th, 2021
- What you should be shredding and why - Tennessean - May 24th, 2021
- June construction could bring parking off streets and delays - Wyoming Tribune - May 24th, 2021
- USAF Ready to Move ABMS-Tech Into Operational Phase - autoevolution - May 24th, 2021
- Project updates for the Week of May 24, 2021 - Texas Department of Transportation - May 24th, 2021
- The two-state solution that envisages sovereign Palestine & Israel living side by side in peace is the only way to end their conflict, writes A L... - May 24th, 2021
- You don't have to wait for the Wisconsin State Fair to enjoy food on a stick. Try this grilled chicken souvlaki recipe. - Green Bay Press Gazette - May 24th, 2021
- Catholic high schools welcome return of in-person graduation ceremonies - Angelus News - May 24th, 2021
- From Invasion to Energy | Latest | NDWorks | University of Notre Dame - ND Newswire - May 24th, 2021
- Watch: Terrifying Deep Sea Creatures That Will Make You Stay Out Of Water - ED Times - May 24th, 2021
- Pro Gravel Racing Champ Colin Strickland Talks Training, Gear, and Moderation - GearJunkie - May 24th, 2021
- Managing the Oversupply of Ships in Ushuaia - Cruise Industry News - May 20th, 2021
- Part of 2.5m repairs grant set to be diverted to address recent flood damage at two Flintshire primary schools - Deeside.com - May 20th, 2021
- FBI warns against faking your COVID-19 vaccination card - WHIO Radio - May 9th, 2021
- Officials are urging people not to forge Covid-19 vaccine cards. Here's why it matters - WTVA - May 9th, 2021
- US Fish and Wildlife Service Celebrates Mother's Day with Mothers of the Wild - Sierra Sun Times - May 9th, 2021
- Houses buyers are 'fighting over' that are flying off the market in less than 24 hours - Liverpool Echo - May 9th, 2021
- Las Vegas to Southern California high-speed rail project is back on track - Archinect - May 9th, 2021
- Nikita Dutta on vaccination drive for all above 18: The faster the procedures, the better for everyone - Hindustan Times - May 9th, 2021
- Portland Softball Splits with Red Wings - theportlandbeacon.com - May 9th, 2021
- Message in a bottle may have made its way from the Titanic to a university in Quebec - CTV News Montreal - May 9th, 2021
- Retired SEAL Jocko Willink surprises guard members, tells them to relish adversity - Stars and Stripes - May 1st, 2021
- Big cat sighting hoax exposed as creature prowling city park revealed to be Goshi - Chester Zoo's black jaguar - LeaderLive - May 1st, 2021
- 10 Top-Notch Small Kitchen Appliances on Sale that Make Perfect Mothers Day Gifts - Thrillist - May 1st, 2021
- 2021 May Municipal Elections: Election integrity starts at the local level. We have to get it right here. - KAMR - MyHighPlains.com - May 1st, 2021
- Rules of the club - Lexology - May 1st, 2021
- Here Are Some of the Rejected Arlington Logo Designs - ARLnow - May 1st, 2021
- MSC Set to Overtake Maersk as the World's Largest Container Line - The Maritime Executive - April 27th, 2021
- Marine Toilets Market Latest Innovations, Demand and Future Projections with top Major Key Player like Jabsco, Raritan Engineering, Reliance Products,... - April 27th, 2021
- Another sighting big cat in Blacon area of Chester - The Chester Standard - April 21st, 2021
- Column: Did Suez Canal Back-Up Have a N.C. Connection? - Southern Pines Pilot - April 19th, 2021
- Global Fresh and Naturally Fermented Birch Juice Market Size, Share, Value, and Competitive Landscape 2021 SoccerNurds - SoccerNurds - April 17th, 2021
- The story of the improbable micronation of Sealand - The Independent - April 15th, 2021
- Hannah Baiardi's new music comes "Straight From the Soul" - The Oakland Press - April 15th, 2021
- How to Get Rid of Ants, According to Experts - HouseBeautiful.com - April 15th, 2021
- Tree House brewery seeks final licenses to open in Sandwich by summer - Cape Cod Times - April 15th, 2021
- Ocean conditions, lost habitat drive salmon concerns | Opinion | thereflector.com - The Reflector - April 15th, 2021
- America's majority-minority confusion | TheHill - The Hill - April 15th, 2021
- Some Utah parents are protesting, but here's why Utah students will likely keep their masks on until summer - Salt Lake Tribune - April 15th, 2021
- Harvey Weinstein secretly indicted on rape charges by grand jury in Los Angeles - Q13 FOX (Seattle) - April 13th, 2021
- One on One: A link between a North Carolinian and the Suez Canal back-up? - The Coastland Times - The Coastland Times - April 13th, 2021
- Global Weatherstrip Seal Market Trends, Growth Demand, Opportunities & Forecast to 2026 | Cooper Standard, Toyoda Gosei, Hutchinson, Henniges,... - April 13th, 2021
- Madison takes second in 17 team Rigby Invite | Sports | rexburgstandardjournal.com - Rexburg Standard Journal - April 13th, 2021
- Banks, ATM booths face cash withdrawal pressure ahead of lockdown - Dhaka Tribune - April 13th, 2021
- Biohacking Market Report (2021-2027) | The Demand For The Market Will Drastically Increase In The Future | Apple Inc, Behavioral Tech, Fitbit, Inc.,... - April 13th, 2021
- How to preserve, store those red gems - Effingham Herald - April 13th, 2021
- Unified healthcare specialists boost their sales and profits - The Irish News - April 13th, 2021
- Call for more powers to be handed to "environmental watchdogs" after eight-year planning saga - Cheshire Live - April 11th, 2021
- Nine-year battle ends with 142 homes to be built on Chester flood plain land - Cheshire Live - April 11th, 2021
- DoD will release document highlighting military needs in 5G, software and data this spring - Federal News Network - April 11th, 2021
- Purging your garage of garbage: Spring an ideal time to clean out unwanted items and organize the rest - Albuquerque Journal - April 11th, 2021
- Alliance hike to mark end of Earth Week events - The-review - April 11th, 2021