While India is working hard to be on track to become a $5 trillion economy by 2025, we must understand that reaching there will take more than what we as an economy have been doing so far. With exports amounting to 48 percent and as many as 11 crore job creations (until July 2020), SMEs in India are leading the way to fulfil Indias trillion-dollar economic dream. At this crucial juncture, it is extremely important for us, as a country, to support and strengthen SMEs that form the very backbone of our economy, through accessible credit options.
However, before we explore the great things technology can do to bridge the credit gap between financial institutions and SMEs, it is important to understand what is blocking access to credit for these small businesses.
When it comes to digital maturity, India ranks 9th in the small and medium businesses segment in the Asia-Pacific region (according to the CISCO India SMB Digital Maturity Study 2020). The road to the digitisation of SMEs is far too complex for anyone to tread alone; there are n number of challenges ranging from lack of skills and access to talent, to lack of business-appropriate technologies required for an overhaul.
Most traditional financial institutions struggle as unit economics does not favour penetration in the SME segment. Despite having great unit economics for individuals and corporates, traditional banks struggle to serve SMEs due to lower margins, higher operational, and risk/ underwriting costs. The fact that costs often exceed the revenue generated results in SMEs being underserved as a segment.
For most traditional financial institutions, credit underwriting and identifying SMEs with reliable credit history is a cumbersome process. Underwriting alternative data on trade receivables in the traditional setup is not just expensive, but time-taking as well; which leads banks to shy away from the process. This has led to a strained relationship between banks and SMEs, which, in turn, has created a huge gap in the market.
It is often said that the use of technology is not impressive on its own, it is the experiences you create with it that matters. This is exactly where fintech startups step in to fill that void and create a rather conducive environment for all to survive with utmost comfort.
Fintechs bring convenience and help SMEs get easy access to products like bank accounts, cards, securing working capital, managing cash flow, etc.
By using tools such as AI (Artificial Intelligence), ML (Machine Learning), and big data analytics, fintech startups develop alternative forms of credit risk analysis, which allows them to understand and effectively price credit risk as well as underwrite cases that traditional banks may refuse.
Moreover, fintech startups act as aggregators to access and analyse digitally available GST-linked data, and thus, customise lending solutions to unlock credit supply for the sector and connect customers (SMEs) to suitable lenders. Fintechs also use social media footprint and digital data establishing the quality of the business network for underwriting new to credit segment.
There are millions of SMEs in India with no or low capability to manage cash flows, operational compliances and documentations; fintech startups help provide a structure to their credit flows, enabling them to seek credit faster and maintain financial health to help them grow. They address various pain points like managing online bank accounts, automating finance, assisting the credit-underwriting process, and more.
By using APIs, demographics and business trends, fintech startups look to use Platform as a Service (PaaS) to perform an effective risk analysis to underwrite their own customers. This helps them customise their lending process, starting with small credit lines that can be paid off in a smaller duration, gradually increasing their eligibility, and unlocking more credit over time. Challenging traditional methods of funding through equity finance, P2P lending, etc. Fintech startups are providing bespoke solutions to meet the revenue requirements of SMEs.
Lastly, Fintech startups assist small businesses with several useful DIY tools that help them make a huge difference and achieve a competitive advantage. Be it communication, accounting, bookkeeping, project management to marketing, several fintech startups and neo-banks provide most of these tools all under one roof for SMEs with limited resources to help manage day-to-day operations and monitor administrative tasks with convenience. Technology helps deliver these resources to SMEs at an efficient cost.
(Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of YourStory.)
See the original post:
- Technology company - Wikipedia - June 20th, 2021
- PROJECT 38: How to survive today's tech stressors - Washington Technology - June 20th, 2021
- The first-ever Black-owned social job network built on blockchain technology launches Juneteenth - Johnson City Press (subscription) - June 20th, 2021
- Komatsu: celebrating 100 years of industrial innovation | Technology - Mining Global - Mining News, Magazine and Website - June 20th, 2021
- Energy Department Seeks to Keep Grant-Backed Technology Jobs in U.S. - The Wall Street Journal - June 20th, 2021
- AI and the future of global trade | Technology & AI - FinTech Magazine - The FinTech & InsurTech Platform - June 20th, 2021
- Investors in technology need to pay attention to corporate governance - The Economist - June 20th, 2021
- Swiss Scientist Refined Technology Used in MRI Scans - The Wall Street Journal - June 20th, 2021
- Talking Technology: Ferrie Says This Investment Can Yield Up to $100/Acre Profits - Agweb Powered by Farm Journal - June 20th, 2021
- Mississippi INBRE Research Efforts Aided by Technology Upgrade - Southern Miss Now - June 20th, 2021
- How One Company Is Leveraging Technology To Support And Educate Autistic Children - Forbes - June 20th, 2021
- Meet the World Economic Forum's Technology Pioneers of 2021 - World Economic Forum - June 20th, 2021
- Research says AI technology to divert invasive species in Illinois river akin to 'crime scene photos' - The Center Square - June 20th, 2021
- Bridging the gap: Technology can help conserve biodiversity - The Economist - June 20th, 2021
- Diving into the global problem of technology waste - MIT News - June 20th, 2021
- Calculating The Fair Value Of New Oriental Education & Technology Group Inc. (NYSE:EDU) - Yahoo Finance - June 20th, 2021
- Ministers eye technology to save thousands of NHS staffing hours - Yahoo Finance UK - June 20th, 2021
- U.S., EU Forge Closer Ties on Emerging Technologies to Counter Russia and China - The Wall Street Journal - June 20th, 2021
- Newater Technology, Inc. Announces the Discharge of Injunction Against its Going Private Transaction - PRNewswire - June 20th, 2021
- The UAPs (UFOs) Are Not Caused by Any U.S. Advanced Technology - Walter Bradley Center for Natural and Artificial Intelligence - June 20th, 2021
- All kinds of new technology are being used to monitor the natural world - The Economist - June 20th, 2021
- WIPO is seeking a Head, Legislative, Policy and Technology Advice Section - IPWatchdog.com - June 20th, 2021
- This Is The Future Of EV Technology...Maybe - InsideEVs - June 20th, 2021
- Rule of land supreme, not your policy: Parliamentary panel on information technology to Twitter - Economic Times - June 20th, 2021
- Coding languages to learn and avoid for technology jobs in banks - eFinancialCareers - June 20th, 2021
- Green Energy: The Issue Is Politics, Not Technology or Cost - Bloomberg - June 20th, 2021
- Global High Purity Alumina Market (2020 to 2026) - Featuring Airy Technology, Nippon Light Metal and Polar Sapphire Among Others -... - June 20th, 2021
- Novel Vaccine Based on mRNA Technology Shows Protection Against Malaria in Animal Models | The Weather Channel - Articles from The Weather Channel |... - June 20th, 2021
- Widespread electrification requires us to rethink battery technology - TechCrunch - June 13th, 2021
- Innovative Battery Technology Puts Flying Cars on the Horizon - SciTechDaily - June 13th, 2021
- Intel debates buyout of SiFive to bolster chip technology against Arm -source - Reuters - June 13th, 2021
- Erbil to host 2nd annual international fair on information technology - Kurdistan24 - June 13th, 2021
- The coming productivity boom - MIT Technology Review - June 13th, 2021
- Sit back and enjoy the technology ride - Mankato Free Press - June 13th, 2021
- King County Councils ban of facial recognition technology is misguided - MyNorthwest.com - June 13th, 2021
- Recon Updates Progress on its Technology-Driven Solutions for Electric Submersible Progressing Cavity Pump with $5 Million Orders Secured - PRNewswire - June 13th, 2021
- Jetti Resources' technology could help unlock millions of tonnes of copper from tailings - The Northern Miner - June 13th, 2021
- We can take the lead in offshore wind-energy technology - theday.com - June 13th, 2021
- Senate passes bill to boost US science and tech innovation to compete with China - USA TODAY - June 13th, 2021
- Technology Fills the Gap as Jobs Lag GDP - The Wall Street Journal - June 13th, 2021
- Salesforce CEO: We're going to rebuild all of our technology to become Slack-first - Yahoo Finance - June 13th, 2021
- TikTok changed the shape of some peoples faces without asking - MIT Technology Review - June 13th, 2021
- NFTs: A token of trust in the digital world | Technology & AI - FinTech Magazine - The FinTech & InsurTech Platform - June 13th, 2021
- NextNav, with its warehouse-ready positioning technology, going public via SPAC - FreightWaves - June 13th, 2021
- What is a flying car? - The Indian Express - June 13th, 2021
- Moon, Macron discuss bilateral cooperation in cutting-edge technology industries - The Korea Herald - June 13th, 2021
- This Top Computer and Technology Stock is a #1 (Strong Buy): Why It Should Be on Your Radar - Yahoo Finance - June 13th, 2021
- This DST-backed wastewater treatment technology to reduce costs for low, medium scale enterprises - The Financial Express - June 13th, 2021
- VPN is still the most important tool in your technological arsenal - TechRadar - June 13th, 2021
- DXC Technology Welcomes Brenda Tsai as Chief Marketing and Communications Officer - Business Wire - June 13th, 2021
- Proceed to your nearest (virtual) exit: gaming technology is teaching us how people respond to emergencies - The Conversation AU - June 13th, 2021
- UK and US agree to strengthen ties in science and technology - GOV.UK - June 13th, 2021
- The Frangible Technology Fund Expands Across the United States - United States Eventing Association - June 13th, 2021
- BIS Working Paper Examines Architecture and Rationale of CBDC Technology | ABA Banking Journal - ABA Banking Journal - June 13th, 2021
- Should You Be Adding Amkor Technology (NASDAQ:AMKR) To Your Watchlist Today? - Simply Wall St - June 13th, 2021
- Worldwide Rubber Gloves Industry to 2026 - by Manufacturers, Regions, Technology and Product Type - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - June 13th, 2021
- Survivor Credits Cutting Edge Technology For Best Chance In Fight Against Aggressive Breast Cancer - news9.com KWTV - June 13th, 2021
- 2022 Audi A3 and S3 return with improved engines and technology - The Car Connection - June 13th, 2021
- Is Society Moving In The Right Direction With Technology Rapidly Taking Over The World? - Forbes - June 2nd, 2021
- Top Technology Trends Redefining the Future of the Fintech Industry - Analytics Insight - June 2nd, 2021
- King County Council votes to ban use of facial recognition technology - KING5.com - June 2nd, 2021
- Why banks differ in the pace of adoption of new technology | VOX, CEPR Policy Portal - voxeu.org - June 2nd, 2021
- 1 Trillion Gallons of Water Being Recycled Using Xylem Technology - Business Wire - June 2nd, 2021
- What Is the Space Force's Technology Vision? - FedTech Magazine - June 2nd, 2021
- Staying safe with technology | News | thenewsguard.com - The News Guard - June 2nd, 2021
- New technology put in place to stop wrong-way drivers is showing results - WCPO - June 2nd, 2021
- UK Partners With NASA to Help Launch $15 Million Space Technology Research Institute - UKNow - June 2nd, 2021
- MOLECULAR YOU SIGNS AGREEMENT FOR ROCHE TO USE ITS MOLECULAR PROFILING TECHNOLOGY - BioSpace - June 2nd, 2021
- Japanese companies to develop chipmaking technology with TSMC -Nikkei - Reuters - June 2nd, 2021
- Microsoft: This open-source technology points the way to the collaborative future of work - TechRepublic - June 2nd, 2021
- Using Technology to Increase Investor Confidence - The Real Deal - June 2nd, 2021
- Adlumin Appoints New Director of Innovation and Technology - Business Wire - June 2nd, 2021
- NBA Launchpad initiative seeks to improve basketball through emerging technologies - USA TODAY - June 2nd, 2021
- Cristiano Ronaldo Signs Recovery Technology Deal With Therabody - SportTechie - June 2nd, 2021
- Micron Technology to Report Fiscal Third Quarter Results on June 30, 2021 - Yahoo Finance - June 2nd, 2021
- Harvard Licenses Technology to Obatala Sciences to Advance Discovery in Obesity, Diabetes, and Cancer - Business Wire - June 2nd, 2021
- Former head of Alphabets Loon joins Starship Technologies as new CEO - TechCrunch - June 2nd, 2021
- HRS Crisis Management Solution Delivers Turnkey Technology and Safe Hotel Options for Corporations, First Responders and Governments - Business Wire - June 2nd, 2021
- Trillions of pounds of trash: New technology tries to solve an old garbage problem - CNBC - June 2nd, 2021
- Technology companies testing anti-misinformation accuracy prompts developed by MIT research team - PRNewswire - June 2nd, 2021