Hillary Clinton declined to say Sunday whether she believes in a constitutional right to bear arms, possibly opening the door to a fresh round of attacks from Donald Trump, who has already accused the likely Democratic presidential nominee of wanting to "abolish" the Second Amendment.
In an interview on ABC's "This Week," Clinton deflected twice when she was asked whether she agrees with the Supreme Court's interpretation of the Second Amendment. The court ruled in 2008 that the Constitution affords private citizens the right to keep firearms in their homes and that such possession need not be connected to military service.
The wording of the Second Amendment has long made the extent of gun-ownership rights a point of contention.
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
Questioned by George Stephanopoulos about her view of the amendment, Clinton talked about a "nuanced reading" and emphasized her belief in the rights of local, state and federal governments to regulate gun ownership. Stephanopoulos, formerly a top aide to President Bill Clinton, wasn't satisfied by the response.
"That's not what I asked," he replied.
Clinton then discussed the right to own a gun as a hypothetical. "If it is a constitutional right," she began her next answer, "then it like every other constitutional right is subject to reasonable regulations."
Here's the full exchange:
STEPHANOPOULOS: Let's talk about the Second Amendment. As you know, Donald Trump has also been out on the stump talking about the Second Amendment and saying you want to abolish the Second Amendment. I know you reject that. But I want to ask you a specific question: Do you believe that an individual's right to bear arms is a constitutional right that it's not linked to service in a militia?
CLINTON: I think that for most of our history there was a nuanced reading of the Second Amendment until the decision by the late Justice [Antonin] Scalia. And there was no argument until then that localities and states and the federal government had a right as we do with every amendment to impose reasonable regulations. So I believe we can have common-sense gun-safety measures consistent with the Second Amendment. And, in fact, what I have proposed is supported by 90 percent of the American people and more than 75 percent of responsible gun owners. So that is exactly what I think is constitutionally permissible and, once again, you have Donald Trump just making outright fabrications, accusing me of something that is absolutely untrue. But I'm going to continue to speak out for comprehensive background checks; closing the gun-show loophole; closing the online loophole; closing the so-called Charleston loophole;reversing the bill that Senator[Bernie] Sanders voted for and I voted against, giving immunity from liability to gun makers and sellers. I think all of that can and should be done, and it is, in my view, consistent with the Constitution.
STEPHANOPOULOS: And, and the Heller decision also says there can be some restrictions. But that's not what I asked. I said, "Do you believe their conclusion that the right to bear arms is a constitutional right?"
CLINTON: If it is a constitutional right, then it like every other constitutional right is subject to reasonable regulations. And what people have done with that decision is to take it as far as they possibly can and reject what has been our history from the very beginning of the republic, where some of the earliest laws that were passed were about firearms. So I think it's important to recognize that reasonable people can say, as I do, responsible gun owners have a right. I have no objection to that. But the rest of the American public has a right to require certain kinds of regulatory, responsible actions to protect everyone else.
Go here to see the original:
Hillary Clinton wavers on Second Amendment right to bear arms ...
- The Second Amendment was ratified to preserve slavery - July 12th, 2016
- Minn. police shooting reignites debate over Second Amendment ... - July 12th, 2016
- The Right to Bear Arms - July 12th, 2016
- Second Amendment Basics | Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence - July 3rd, 2016
- The Second Amendment, the Bill of Rights, and the ... - June 25th, 2016
- The Second Amendment Is About Revolution - June 25th, 2016
- Don't Bank On The Supreme Court To Clarify The Second ... - June 16th, 2016
- Why It's Time to Repeal the Second Amendment - June 14th, 2016
- there is no Second Amendment protection for ... - cnn.com - June 10th, 2016
- Politics & 2nd Amendment Archives - Guns.com - May 25th, 2016
- Second Amendment - lawbrain.com - May 20th, 2016
- Second Amendment Sports - Bakersfield, CA - Yelp - April 18th, 2016
- Second Amendment - Conservapedia - October 20th, 2015
- Second Amendment | Fox News - October 20th, 2015
- The Second Amendment Is a Gun-Control Amendment - October 4th, 2015
- Clinton at private fundraiser: SCOTUS is wrong about the ... - October 4th, 2015
- Obama Mocks Second Amendment Supporters For Crack Pot ... - October 4th, 2015
- Second Amendment - September 25th, 2015
- 7th Circuit Court: Illegal Immigrants Have Second ... - August 29th, 2015
- Court Rules Illegal Aliens Have Second Amendment Rights ... - August 27th, 2015
- Second Amendment - Text, Origins, and Meaning - July 12th, 2015
- Second Amendment : Pictures, Videos, Breaking News - July 9th, 2015
- Twenty-second Amendment to the United States Constitution - May 30th, 2015
- Second Amendment | Wex Legal Dictionary / Encyclopedia ... - May 28th, 2015
- Brantley Gilbert Inks His Love For The Second Amendment ... - May 13th, 2015
- 2nd Amendment advocates push to repeal switchblade, other ... - May 12th, 2015
- 2015 NRA Convention Interview with Michigan 2nd Amendment Supporters - Video - April 14th, 2015
- Second Amendment Youth Leadership Conference Wrap-Up - Video - April 14th, 2015
- PASTOR SAYS BLACKS NEED TO GET GUNS AND FIGHT BACK - Video - April 14th, 2015
- Second Amendment - Web Mashup for Second, Amendment ... - April 14th, 2015
- Six takeaways from the NRA convention - April 13th, 2015
- More than 70,000 people attended event - April 13th, 2015
- RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS? Police grabs of legal guns on the rise across US - April 13th, 2015
- The Death of the Second Amendment - Video - April 12th, 2015
- Ben Carson Speaks on Second Amendment at NRA Leadership Forum - Video - April 12th, 2015
- As Scott Walker addresses NRA, concealed carry vote criticized - April 12th, 2015
- GUN RIGHTS UNDER FIRE Illegal police grabs of legal firearms rising nationwide - April 12th, 2015
- Colt 1911 Gold Cup Pistol for Sale - Video - April 11th, 2015
- Some Conservative Lawmakers Working To Roll Back Gun Restrictions - Second Amendment - Video - April 11th, 2015
- Teaching the Bill of Rights: The Second Amendment - Part One - Video - April 11th, 2015
- SUNSET ON THE SECOND AMENDMENT 1080p - Video - April 11th, 2015
- Donald Rumsfeld, former Secretary of Defense - Video - April 11th, 2015
- GOP hopefuls flock to NRA cattle call - April 11th, 2015
- Nevada Panel OKs Bill to Create Pro-Second Amendment License Plates - April 11th, 2015
- NRA wants more than 'Second Amendment' - April 11th, 2015
- Is encryption the Second Amendment for the Internet? - April 11th, 2015
- Rand Paul calls NRA snub 'petty' - April 11th, 2015
- The truth about the NRA's snub of Rand Paul - April 11th, 2015
- Backing Out Sun Trust Bank Terminates Gun Shop's Accounts Second Amendment Fox & Friends - Video - April 8th, 2015
- 2nd Amendment Keychain - RTBA - Video - April 8th, 2015
- Dr. Rand Paul on the Second Amendment - Video - April 8th, 2015
- 4.7.15 | Second Scoop: Justice in Jersey, Detroit's Top Cop & CCW, Clear Channel Controversy - Video - April 8th, 2015
- Second Amendment Foundation Takes Case Of Arizona Navy Vet ... - April 8th, 2015
- State GOP lawmakers look to roll back gun restrictions after midterm wins - VIDEO: Pols work to roll back gun ... - April 8th, 2015
- NRA Convention Coming To Nashville This Week - April 8th, 2015
- Two Charter Amendments to Be Voted on During Dundee Election - April 7th, 2015
- State GOP lawmakers working to roll back gun restrictions after midterm wins - April 7th, 2015
- GUN RIGHTS BATTLES GOP state legislators seek to ease gun codes - April 7th, 2015
- SAF Takes Case of Arizona Navy Vet Whose Guns Were Seized - April 7th, 2015
- Second Amendment Hoodie | Spreadshirt | ID: 101726003 - April 5th, 2015
- Colt Commander Pistol for Sale - Video - April 3rd, 2015
- SCLC calling on blacks to Exercise Second Amendment Rights - Video - April 3rd, 2015
- District Drops Appeal Of SAF Concealed Carry Victory - April 3rd, 2015
- SCLC president suspended after comments regarding 2nd Amendment - April 3rd, 2015
- BladeFit and 2A Rights. Second Amendment rules! - Video - April 2nd, 2015
- SCLC suspends Georgia Chapter President for call to bear arms - April 2nd, 2015
- SCLC calling on blacks to "Exercise Second Amendment Rights" - March 31st, 2015
- House approves amended re-homing bill - March 31st, 2015
- David Mierswa Second Amendment Part 2 - Video - March 29th, 2015
- Second Amendment in the 21st Century / New York Ideas 2014 - Video - March 29th, 2015
- Campus Carry Talk, How the Second Amendment Applies to Campus Carry - Video - March 29th, 2015
- Bearing ArmsRubio, Jordan File "Second Amendment ... - March 29th, 2015
- Sen. Rubio, Rep. Jordan propose repealing D.C. gun control laws - March 28th, 2015
- SD Attorney General Urges ATF to Respect Second Amendment - Video - March 27th, 2015
- The second amendment explained to #gunsense supporters - Video - March 27th, 2015
- Who's Going After D.C.'s Gun Laws? Marco Rubio Edition. - March 27th, 2015
- Giveaway Prizes for April 7 2015 - Video - March 26th, 2015
- Rant on guns - Video - March 26th, 2015
- Second Amendment Shirts - Video - March 25th, 2015
- Ensuring the Second Amendment Protections - Video - March 25th, 2015