When it comes to bucket list travel destinations, the Maldives are never a bad idea. Known for its crystalline turquoise waters, powder white sparkling sand, over the top luxury villas and best-in-class butler services, it is the ultimate dream of luxury and tranquility. And as many of us are plotting our current, and post-pandemic escapes, its top of mind for many.
Made up of more than 1,000 islands peppered across the Indian Ocean, this tiny nation is located to the south and west of India and Sri Lanka. And when its borders reopened to travelers from all countries on July 15, 2020, it instantly became Instagrams favorite socially distant travel escape (with the exception of its capital city of Mal, which is off-limits to visitors).
As a family and couples destination that rivals only the likes of lavish escapes such as Bora Bora and Fiji, the Maldives are most notably known for luxury hotels set on private islands and the occasional celebrity sighting. But even more so than that, its known for peace and tranquility, which, after the year weve all had, will need it in our next vacation.
As you map out bucket list worthy destinations to plan your next vacation, here is what you need to know about planning the Maldives getaway of your post-quarantine dreams.
The Maldives, like many other countries, has its own travel procedures amid the COVID-19 pandemic. For starters, all travelers must present a certificate of a negative PCR test carried out within the 96 hours prior to departure, clearly showing the name and address of the laboratory, as well as the date of the sample taken.
Next, youll complete a health declaration form and upload your negative test result within 24 hours of your departure flight. Once complete, youll be issued a QR code that allows airport officials to verify your information and approve your stay in the Maldives.
Then youre asked to make some very important decisions via a digital questionnaire from your resort. For Soneva Fushi and Soneva Jani, this is taken very seriously as you unlock the next level of luxury on your soon-to-be Maldives vacation. And seriously, when we talk about luxury, were talking about what kind of pillows you want on your bed (there are about a dozen options) and snacks youd like waiting for you upon arrival.
There are quite a few options to get to the Maldives, but a flight on Emirates will be your best option. Whether flying from New York City, Washington D.C. or Los Angeles, or connecting in Dubai through its stopover program, Emirates is top of the line when it comes to luxury, and will enhance your visit to your dream destination. Not to mention, the airline has prioritized safety measures for passengers, making it a reliable (and safe) airline for such a long-haul flight.
Once you arrive at the airport, youll have a QR code from your Maldives Health Declaration form which youll probably be asked to show a few times before you board the flight. As you board the plane, youll be given a hand sanitizer wipe and ushered to your seat. If youre lucky (which many are in the wake of COVID) youll have a whole row to yourself, and feel safe knowing all the other masked passengers had a negative COVID-19 test, too. The biggest thing with Emirates is that you have to wear both a face shield and a face mask. The shields are provided by the airline and are mandatory on both flights.
Once you arrive in the Maldives capital city of Mal, there will be a Soneva host waiting for you to escort you to your Trans Maldivian Airways seaplane flight to transfer you over to the resort. From there, youre shuttled over to Sonevas private lounge and offered snacks, beverages and light refreshments, before boarding your short 30-minute stopover flight to the resort. From there, a boat ferries guests to the resorts private island, Kunfunadhoo.
If youre going to go all out, you may as well choose a resort brand that is frequented by the likes of Queen Beyonc herself, along with Katy Perry and Gwyneth Paltrow and thats Soneva. Offering up two options Soneva Fushi and Soneva Jani theres a resort that suits every type of traveler.
The first, Kunfunadhoo Island, is an untouched island in the western Maldives Baa Atoll which comprises Soneva Fushis plush accommodations, and has seen increased demand for guests during COVID. And obviously for good reason. These beautiful beachfront villas and overwater bungalows feature butler service, outdoor bathrooms, upscale amenities, and perks such as sliding right into the Indian Ocean from your room. A network of winding jungle pathways connects the many restaurants, bars, spa, tennis court, gym, outdoor theater, and other amenities, making it the perfect option for seclusion from the rest of the world (because if youre going to quarantine, why not quarantine in style?). Not to mention, the spa is to be enjoyed here, along with the observatory and outdoor movie theater with free screenings. With a remote island location, plenty of privacy, and castaway-style luxury, its no surprise that celebrities are drawn to Soneva Fushi.
After youve enjoyed all that Soneva Fushi has to offer, hop on over to its sister property one of the expensive resorts in the country, Soneva Jani. Its made up of over 50 over-water villas, split between Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 (Chapter 2s twenty seven new Water Reserves opened just this December and have been designed to maximize a sense of space, privacy and seclusion). In fact, while hotels and resorts around the world have shut down due to border closures and plummeting demand, Soneva Jani not only remained open, but recently debuted these luxurious villas and an all-inclusive pricing model dubbed Soneva Unlimited. The best part about them both offer up the largest one-bedroom over-the-water villas in the Maldives.
Prefer to stay on land? Both Soneva Fushi and Soneva Jani offer up land retreats, well away from the other accommodations, offering the same benefits of the over-the-water retreats, but set in the jungle.
On the Maldives, restaurants and bars are limited to whichever island you are dining on. At Soneva Fushi, guests can eat in a treetop, nest-like bamboo pod at a restaurant called Fresh In The Garden. Naturally distanced nests seat two or more guests, and the central open kitchen gives you front-row seats to the action, or while at Soneva Jani, enjoy lunch at The Crab Shack where you can try the Sri Lankan Mud Crab curry, or the Alaskan crabs that rotate through the week.
If you love the water, then you will definitely be overjoyed by all of the water activity options in the Maldives. Soneva Fushi and Soneva Jani both offer snorkeling and diving in a UNESCO World Biosphere Reserve, making it a once in a lifetime aquatic adventure. These excursions include a visit to Hanifaru Bay, and if youre lucky youll be able to swim among manta rays and whale sharks. Also, free non-motorized water sports rentals such as sailboats, kayaks, and snorkels are available for guest use at any time. And those who want more of a retreat on land, can enjoy free yoga classes and free loaner bicycles around each of the islands for more exploration.
Of course, if you choose to travel during COVID, its not a decision to make lightly. Assess your own risk, make plans for pre- and post-trip testing, read up on the local rules and regulations, as well as what regulations you have to follow upon return to your home state.
Editors note: Due to COVID-19, there are restrictions on international travel, and some areas are still under lockdown. Travel at your own level of comfortability and always follow local health advice. A regularly updated list of available accommodation, sights, and transport can be found on the Visit Maldives website.
- WATCH: The R1.8m-a-night private island that Melinda Gates rented during divorce - CapeTown ETC - May 9th, 2021
- What you need to know if you are thinking of cruising this summer - Sunbury Daily Item - May 9th, 2021
- Maldives imposes night curfew after steep jump in COVID-19 infections - Reuters - May 9th, 2021
- Canary Islands Startup To Be Called Latittude Hub - Simple Flying - May 9th, 2021
- The 6 Best Glamping Destinations To Enjoy Nature With Luxury Amenities - The Manual - May 9th, 2021
- Inside the vintage school bus that's one of Kent's most unique Airbnbs - Kent Live - May 9th, 2021
- What you need to know about the coronavirus right now - Gibraltar Chronicle - May 9th, 2021
- J. Prince Appears to Have Bought His Own Private Island: 'They Said It Couldn't Be Done' - Complex - April 19th, 2021
- You can rent an entire private island in Ireland with your mates for 40pppn including a bar, sauna and h... - The Sun - April 19th, 2021
- This Country Wants You To Visit So Badly, Itll Give You A Covid Vaccine - Forbes - April 19th, 2021
- How the Lush Caribbean Island of Dominica Became a Superyacht Haven - Robb Report - April 19th, 2021
- Where Is the MSC Fleet of Cruise Ships? - Cruise Industry News - April 19th, 2021
- Prince Philip funeral: Prince Harry, Andrew have awkward reunion - Insider - April 19th, 2021
- Russia explores the world-class surf spots of Kuril Islands - SurferToday - April 19th, 2021
- Whos who in House of Gucci, the new crime and fashion saga - Metro US - April 19th, 2021
- The Hottest Features The Rich Are Craving For Their Next Home - NDTV - April 19th, 2021
- Fodors names Georgia island among nations best to visit - WSB Atlanta - April 19th, 2021
- The private islands you can rent in France, Spain and Greece from just 12pp a night... - The Sun - April 2nd, 2021
- A New Private-Island Resort in the US Virgin Islands - Caribbean Journal - April 2nd, 2021
- Immunity pods of family and friends start to venture out on private vaxications - The Boston Globe - April 2nd, 2021
- Security escorts, chartered planes, Rolls-Royces: Inside the luxe tours of FlyEast Philippines - TTG Asia - April 2nd, 2021
- Private Plane Vacation Packages Are the Big New Thing in Resort Travel - InsideHook - April 2nd, 2021
- Your Own Private Island in Tahiti Is Only a Flight Away - Locale Magazine - March 31st, 2021
- Royal Caribbean Thanks Emergency Services, NHS And Armed Forces With UK Homecoming, Set For This Summer - KPVI News 6 - March 31st, 2021
- Milgate to lead Velaa Private Island in the Maldives - Breaking Travel News - March 31st, 2021
- Secret Mediterranean: where to stay on the best hidden islands - Telegraph.co.uk - March 31st, 2021
- Staycation in Scotland: 6 remote and beautiful Scottish Island escapes - HeraldScotland - March 31st, 2021
- Ghislaine Maxwell Faces Two New Trafficking Charges, Raising Pressure On Prince Andrew And Others Listed In Jeffrey Epsteins Little Black Book -... - March 31st, 2021
- Best resorts in the San Juan Islands - seattlepi.com - March 31st, 2021
- 7 Successful Celebrity Investors | TheRichest - TheRichest - March 31st, 2021
- How the spending habits of Singapore's rich changed in the pandemic - Insider - March 31st, 2021
- NBA's Kevin Love & Model Kate Bock Share What They Eat on "Vegan - The Beet - March 31st, 2021
- Richard Branson Is Opening His Caribbean Private Island to the Public This Summer - Observer - March 25th, 2021
- The stunning private islands that cost less than the price of a two-bed flat in England... - The Sun - March 25th, 2021
- Stunning private islands cheaper than average 2-bedroom home in the UK - Daily Star - March 25th, 2021
- This $1.1 million island in Quebec is for sale (PHOTOS) | Urbanized - Daily Hive - March 25th, 2021
- Private island for sale in BC costs less than the average Vancouver home | Urbanized - Daily Hive - March 25th, 2021
- Escape to Figure Eight - Greater Wilmington Business Journal - March 25th, 2021
- Coral Restoration And Why You Should Choose Hotels That Support It - Forbes - March 25th, 2021
- Chance to make a moo-ve on West Calf island - Southern Star Newspaper - March 25th, 2021
- Remains of SoCal Marine Arrive Home Nearly 77 Years After He Was Killed in World War II - NBC Southern California - March 25th, 2021
- What it's Like to Live on a Remote Island in Indonesia During a Pandemic - Fodor's Travel - March 25th, 2021
- Puerto Rico awarded $900M to help boost islands education - The Boston Globe - March 25th, 2021
- World Rugby to help Pacific Island teams join Super Rugby in 2022 - ESPN - March 25th, 2021
- This entire Quebec island is on the market for $1.8 million (PHOTOS) | Urbanized - Daily Hive - March 21st, 2021
- "Vaxication" In The Maldives: What To Know About Vaccine Tourism - Tatler Malaysia - March 21st, 2021
- Royal Caribbean Readies Cruises to the Bahamas and Mexico for June - Vanity Fair - March 21st, 2021
- Happy Birthday Animal Crossing New Horizons! Year In Review For A Hall Of Fame Classic - Hot Hardware - March 21st, 2021
- 'Vaxication' in the Maldives: What to Know About Vaccine Tourism - Tatler Singapore - March 21st, 2021
- The Most Popular Place to Visit the Channel Islands National Park has reopened for recreation The Log - The Log Newspaper - March 21st, 2021
- Island Real Estate | Properties for Sale and Rent on Islands - January 25th, 2021
- Private Islands Online Australia - January 25th, 2021
- Travel Megatrends 2025: Cruise Lines Take Refuge in Their Private Islands - Skift - January 25th, 2021
- MSC Grandiosa to Resume Cruising Southern Europe on January 24 - Cruise Radio - January 25th, 2021
- British Virgin Islands at a crossroads as outgoing governor decries corruption - The Guardian - January 25th, 2021
- The Islands of Rockport spotlights modern luxury (Sponsored) - Chron - January 25th, 2021
- I explore a new beach every day: How the one per cent are doing Lockdown 3 - Telegraph.co.uk - January 25th, 2021
- Join Kevin McCloud in Italy and ride the Venice Simplon-Orient-Express - Countryliving (UK) - January 25th, 2021
- Here's what it costs to book Disneys new cruises to Antarctica and the Galapagos Islands - CNBC - January 25th, 2021
- Yes, more money will always make your life better, but thats not all there is to happiness, says new study - ZME Science - January 25th, 2021
- Castaway Cay is Hiring! What This Could Mean For Disney Cruise Line - Inside the Magic - January 9th, 2021
- Unique Escapes in 2021 for Travelers Who Have Been Everywhere - Luxury Travel Magazine - January 9th, 2021
- Rebound Travel Technologies and The Rarotongan Resort Group Announce Strategic Partnership - PRNewswire - January 9th, 2021
- 4 great itineraries (and 1 to avoid) for a first cruise vacation - Royal Caribbean Blog - January 9th, 2021
- For heavily indebted small islands, resilience-building is the best antidote - UNCTAD - January 9th, 2021
- Top 10 Private Jet Destinations Around The World - Luxury Travel Magazine - January 9th, 2021
- Things I've done that I'll never do again on a Royal Caribbean cruise - Royal Caribbean Blog - January 9th, 2021
- Opinion: Thompson Island is supposed to be open to the public, but that isnt happening - The Patriot Ledger - January 9th, 2021
- Snapshot: private fund registration - what have we learnt? - Lexology - January 9th, 2021
- Sneak peek at Mackinac Islands Grand Hotel pool renovations: waterslide, cabanas, adults-only area - MLive.com - January 9th, 2021
- Verzuz's Virtual Return Shows Celebs Have Always Lived in Different Worlds - VICE - January 9th, 2021
- From Wealth TV to OAN - Rich Conservatives are Brainwashing the Country - City Watch - January 9th, 2021
- A Bostonian's Guide toHopefullyTraveling This Year - Boston magazine - January 9th, 2021
- Tree pods and beach bedrooms: Social distancing in the Maldives - CNBC - November 26th, 2020
- Scrub Island Resort to re-open | Business | virginislandsdailynews.com - Virgin Islands Daily News - November 26th, 2020
- What Does the Future of Luxury Travel Look Like in a Post-Coronavirus World? - Luxury Travel Magazine - November 26th, 2020
- Private Jetaway Is Leading the Way to Cabo San Lucas With Luxury Vetted Holiday Travel Retreats - PRNewswire - November 26th, 2020
- Consumers are too lazy for The Truth about Amazon to really make a difference - iNews - November 26th, 2020
- Private islands, rather than ships, could make the difference in cruise rebound - TradeWinds - September 18th, 2020
- A private island off the coast of Ireland could be yours for 250,000 - The Spaces - September 18th, 2020