As the ongoing coronavirus outbreak continues to spread, sickening and claiming the lives of patients around the world, a plethora of confusing and occasionally-conflicting information is spreading along with it.
It doesnt help that it took so long for the World Health Organization (WHO) to nail down an official name for the disease. Nor is it ideal that the name we know it by, the name of the actual virus itself, and the outbreaks previous (unofficial) moniker are all fairly similar.
To help you and ourselves here at Futurism, to be honest stay on top of the vocabulary surrounding the outbreak, we put together the following glossary.
This is a now-outdated term that was used to describe the coronavirus linked to the outbreak before the WHO formally named it SARS-CoV-2 (see below). Its an acronym that stands for the novel CoronaVirus discovered in 2019.
The word coronavirus has served as an easy way to reference the ongoing outbreak, but its not terribly specific,since a coronavirus is a broad category of virus. There are hundreds of coronaviruses which, when they infect a human, cause diseases with flu-like symptoms. Think respiratory trouble, soreness, fever and, in more serious cases, pneumonia or kidney failure.
COVID-19, short for COronaVIrus Disease 2019, is the illness caused by a SARS-CoV-2 infection.You could say that a SARS-CoV-2 infection made someone come down with a case of COVID-19 not unlike how the varicella zoster virus causes the disease chickenpox.
A mortality rate is a statistic that represents the proportion of people dying from a specific cause. In this case, it means the percentage of people who get COVID-19 and ultimately die, not a tally of total fatalities.
As of this storys publication, Chinas COVID-19 mortality rate is around 3.4 percent higher than the mortality rate for the rest of the world, which is currently about 1.7 percent.
A pandemic is the term for an outbreak thats spreading rampantly on an international or global scale, as opposed to a more localized epidemic.
The WHO maintains that the ongoing coronavirus outbreak is not a pandemic: even though cases have been confirmed in 41 global territories, most of the countries affected have more or less contained the disease thus far.
Pronounced R naught, this is a statistical measure that represents how many people, on average, someone whos infected with a disease will spread it to. Tracking down an R0 value for COVID-19 has been difficult, in part because mild cases can go undetected and also because some countries have been hit harder than others.
Different studies have arrived at wildly different R0 values for the COVID-19 outbreak, and the number likely wont be solidified until after the fact but thus far the WHO suggests the R0 lies between two and three.
This is the formal name of the specific coronavirus thats causing a commotion right now.
The name is an acronym: Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome-related CoronaVirus 2. SARS-CoV-2 is highly similar to the virus that caused the SARS outbreak in 2002 and 2003. In fact, when SARS-CoV-2 first emerged in Wuhan, China in December, one of the first doctors to send out a warning about it actually confused it for a resurgence of SARS.
A vaccine is a preventative tool that can strengthen the immune system against a disease. Administered in advance, a vaccine is different from a treatment or cure in that it doesnt fight the virus directly it just better equips your body fight it off and prevent the associated disease.
Specifically, a vaccine for SARS-CoV-2 would contain inert and harmless fragments of the virus. If your immune system is exposed to the vaccine, it would generate antibodies capable of fighting the virus in the future, ultimately preventing you from getting sick with COVID-19. Thus far, there are no vaccines available, though many teams are working on them.
- What will design look like in 2030? We asked 3 futurists - Business of Home - June 1st, 2020
- Interstellar Visitor May Be One of Rarest Objects In Universe - Futurism - June 1st, 2020
- Vancouver Island's long road to recovery will have a few bumps - vancouverislandfreedaily.com - June 1st, 2020
- 5G Technology - The Cybersecurity Implications of Widespread - tripwire.com - June 1st, 2020
- Half the Visible Universe Was Missing. Scientists Just Found It. - Futurism - June 1st, 2020
- The New Reality: Future of shopping malls in jeopardy as COVID-19 pandemic pushes shoppers online - cjoy.com - June 1st, 2020
- Only One in Two Americans Say They'd Take a COVID-19 Vaccine - Futurism - June 1st, 2020
- Watch the Astronauts Give Their Kids Virtual Hugs Before Launch - Futurism - June 1st, 2020
- Changing face of Liverpool city centre and the shops we've lost along the way - Liverpool Echo - June 1st, 2020
- Folk's Jason Wilber Examines the World Through a Futurist Lens in 'Time Traveler' (album stream) - PopMatters - May 29th, 2020
- The Conversation: Beware of Unemployment Insurance Scammers - Hawaiipublicradio - May 29th, 2020
- The long road to recovery will have a few bumps Victoria News - Victoria News - May 29th, 2020
- The stakes have never been higher as America reopens. What can a post-coronavirus world look like? - USA TODAY - May 29th, 2020
- On the Futurist Cookbook - Apollo Magazine - May 14th, 2020
- UWO alumnus and renowned futurist: 'There has never been more opportunity to make a difference' - UW Oshkosh Today - May 14th, 2020
- What will the world look like after corona? - ISRAEL21c - May 14th, 2020
- US Officials: Chinese Hackers Are Targeting Vaccine Research - Futurism - May 14th, 2020
- Dock a SpaceX Spacecraft to the ISS in This Amazing Simulator - Futurism - May 14th, 2020
- WHO: The Coronavirus Might Be Here Forever - Futurism - May 14th, 2020
- Documentary Spaceship Earth resurrects stranger-than-fiction story of utopian Biosphere 2 experiment - ABC News - May 14th, 2020
- Scientists Have a Promising New Idea to Defeat the Coronavirus - Futurism - May 14th, 2020
- Fauci: Reopening Too Soon Could Lead to "Suffering and Death" - Futurism - May 14th, 2020
- Augmented reality giant Magic Leap is closing its Seattle office amid layoffs - GeekWire - May 14th, 2020
- How will you re-introduce your business to customers? - Trinidad Guardian - May 14th, 2020
- There's a Resurgence of Coronavirus Cases in China - Futurism - May 14th, 2020
- Futurism | Definition, Manifesto, Artists, & Facts ... - April 30th, 2020
- 7 Top Futurists Make Some Pretty Surprising Predictions ... - April 30th, 2020
- The White House Is Trying to Shut Down NASA's Last Mars Rover - Futurism - April 30th, 2020
- Free DNA Test Claims to Warn Whether COVID Is Likely to Kill You - Futurism - April 30th, 2020
- New Zealand Claims to Have Eliminated COVID-19 - Futurism - April 30th, 2020
- The Laws of Physics May Break Down at the Edge of the Universe - Futurism - April 30th, 2020
- These Mathematicians Think the Universe May Be Conscious - Futurism - April 30th, 2020
- This COVID-19 Vaccine Could Be Ready by September - Futurism - April 30th, 2020
- The Conversation: The Future After the Coronavirus Crisis - Hawaiipublicradio - April 30th, 2020
- Elon Musk Says the Starlink Network Will Go Live in Six Months - Futurism - April 26th, 2020
- Automated Education This Grad Student Used a Neural Network to Write His Papers - Futurism - April 26th, 2020
- NASA: Something Is Off About This Interstellar Comet - Futurism - April 26th, 2020
- This is What Air Travel Could Look Like After the Pandemic - Futurism - April 26th, 2020
- The Coronavirus May Be Doing Something Strange to Your Toes - Futurism - April 26th, 2020
- We Need Herd Immunity From Trump and the Coronavirus - The New York Times - April 26th, 2020
- The revolution will not be memorised - Schools Week - April 26th, 2020
- For the First Time Ever, the Price of Oil is Now Negative - Futurism - April 26th, 2020
- The future of work is here: How 'distance work' is transforming the workplace - Washington Technology - April 26th, 2020
- Living In The City - The Chattanoogan - April 26th, 2020
- New Study Predicts the Ocean Ecosystem Will Collapse This Decade - Futurism - April 11th, 2020
- Terrifying Simulation Shows How Viruses Spread When You Cough - Futurism - April 11th, 2020
- Snowden: Governments Will Use the Coronavirus to Seize More Power - Futurism - April 11th, 2020
- NASA Releases Breathtaking Infrared Image of Pillars of Creation - Futurism - April 11th, 2020
- The World's First Cyborgs: Humanity's Next Evolutionary Phase Is Here - Futurism - April 11th, 2020
- COVID AI Data Firm Says Its AI Predicts Where Next COVID-19 Spike Will Be - Futurism - April 11th, 2020
- The Pandemic Stranded Them in the Worst Place: Antarctica - Futurism - April 11th, 2020
- Here's What It Would Be Like to Drive on Different Planets - Futurism - April 11th, 2020
- Coronavirus Conspiracy Theorists Are Setting 5G Towers on Fire - Futurism - April 11th, 2020
- There's No Good Evidence That Hydroxychloroquine Fights COVID-19 - Futurism - April 11th, 2020
- Apple and Google to Launch App for Tracking the Coronavirus - Futurism - April 11th, 2020
- Study Predicts What Gamers Might Look Like In 20 Years And Its Not Pretty - NowThis - April 11th, 2020
- A New Hole Is Forming in the Ozone Layer Over the Arctic - Futurism - April 11th, 2020
- 'Where Do We Go from Here?': On the Future of Arab Futurism - Palestine Chronicle - March 9th, 2020
- Scientists Say Ancient Earth Was Completely Covered in Water - Futurism - March 9th, 2020
- CRISPR Scientists Hack Patient's Genes in Bid to Cure Blindness - Futurism - March 9th, 2020
- Q&A: James Hamblin, MD on Why You're Likely to Get the Coronavirus - Futurism - March 9th, 2020
- Elon Musk: New Self-Driving Features Will Come Out This Month - Futurism - March 9th, 2020
- New Theory Could Explain Exoplanets With "Density of Cotton Candy" - Futurism - March 9th, 2020
- Anti-Coke Lawsuit: "Plastic Is Set to Outweigh Fish in the Ocean" - Futurism - March 9th, 2020
- The importance of lifelong learning in the future of work - Fast Company - March 9th, 2020
- This Futuristic Tire Concept Regrows Its Tread by Popping a Pill - Futurism - March 9th, 2020
- Economist: Springfield is 'on the cusp.' Here's what it needs to do to take the next step. - News-Leader - February 27th, 2020
- Humanitys media habits shifted radically in the 2010s. What do the 2020s hold? - Digital Trends - February 27th, 2020
- Space Force Working "Pretty Closely With Elon Musk and SpaceX" - Futurism - February 27th, 2020
- The Pentagon Just Simulated a Nuclear War With Russia - Futurism - February 27th, 2020
- Deadly Coronavirus May Be Spreading Through Poop - Futurism - February 27th, 2020
- Japan Gives the 'Go' to Sample Return Mission to Mars Moon - Futurism - February 27th, 2020
- Carmakers Expected to Roll Out Wireless Car Chargers This Year - Futurism - February 27th, 2020
- Artificial and Biological Neurons Just Talked Over the Internet - Futurism - February 27th, 2020
- Editors letter: How to predict whats coming in 2030 and beyond - MIT Technology Review - February 27th, 2020
- What in Tarnation Is This "SpaceX Village" by the Starship Launch Site - Futurism - February 27th, 2020
- Guy Builds Rocket to Prove Earth Is Flat, Crashes It, Dies - Futurism - February 27th, 2020
- Report: Two-Thirds of Coronavirus Infections May Be Undetected - Futurism - February 27th, 2020
- The professionals who predict the future for a living - MIT Technology Review - February 27th, 2020
- Futurist Ray Kurzweil Says He Can Bring His Dead Father ... - February 12th, 2020