Not everybody is a fan of the five finalists for the new Arlington County logo.
There seems to be a LOT of dissatisfaction with the new county logos, one reader said, in an email to ARLnow.
Locals are being asked to weigh in on the proposed logo designs by May 26, ahead of County Board consideration in June. But a plurality seem to be calling for more choices.
In an unscientific ARLnow poll this week, about 46% of more than 3,000 respondents said the county should go back to the drawing board. The most popular choice the fifth logo above, on the far right-hand side was the preference of 24% of respondents.
The dissatisfaction is more stark on some social media channels.
Ive noticed that the five new Arlington County logos that residents have been asked to vote on are being universally panned on both Nextdoor and Facebook, another ARLnow reader said in an email. In fact, I dont think Ive seen a single positive comment out of scores. My Nextdoor group in North Arlington had more than 25 comments and not a single one positive.
Sure hope the County is listening, the reader added. Time for them to go back to the drawing board.
Perhaps its not necessary to solicit new designs. As pointed out by a local resident on Twitter, the original call for design ideas from the county yielded dozens of notable submissions that were ultimately rejected.
The new logo is needed in order to do away with the illustration of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lees plantation house a prominent Arlington landmark in the current logo, but the call for logo ideas in February specifically asked submitters to think about the images, symbols and feelings unique to Arlington and shared by people across neighborhoods.
The finalists seem to be more abstract in nature than many of the discarded designs that include the shapes of specific landmarks, buildings or geographical borders, however.
Part of that may be a function of the requirement for a logo that works in numerous visual settings and contexts. The new logo should look good in black and white and in color, and when it is printed on something as small as a pen and as large as a billboard, the county said in February.
Asked this morning whether the five finalists may be revisited and other logos considered, given the reaction so far, Arlington County spokeswoman Jennifer K. Smith said only that the county is seeking more feedback.
Engaging and involving the community is central to the process of developing a new logo and that process is ongoing, Smith told ARLnow. We want as many people as possible to weigh in on the final design options. The Logo Review Panel will use the voting results to offer a recommendation to the Arlington County Board in June. To date, well over 9,000 people have voted on the new logo and were looking for many more.
Smith said a robust community process led to the five current logo finalists.
A 14-member Logo Review Panel was appointed by the County Manager in late January of this year, following a communitywide call for applications, she explained. This is a diverse group representing different ages, ethnicities/races, neighborhoods, and backgrounds. Community members also were asked to submit their ideas and concepts over a series of week earlier this year and we received about 250. Then, over the last several months, the Logo Review Panel has worked hard to further define the considerations as well as further develop the ideas submitted by the community, in collaboration with a design firm.
The current county seal and logo which both feature a representation of Lees Arlington House were first adopted in 1983 and 2004, respectively.
The logo panels charge, from its first meeting: Replace existing logo and County seal with new logo as soon as practicable.
Read the original here:
- Blackfish: how captive killer whale documentary ended SeaWorld's orca breeding programme - The Conversation UK - June 23rd, 2021
- Surge testing in two areas of Chester amid 'alarming' rise in Covid rate - The Chester Standard - June 20th, 2021
- David Athertons dressing recipes for summer salads - The Guardian - June 20th, 2021
- Seal season's a busy time for rescue groups, but not all washed-up pups are in need - ABC News - June 20th, 2021
- The 2021 SCO International Round Table was held in Lianyungang, Jiangsu - PRNewswire - June 20th, 2021
- 'The Office' trivia, Father's Day fishing: 15 events, things to do in Spring and Klein in June, July - Community Impact Newspaper - June 20th, 2021
- Calls for inquiry into legislated and approved animal deterrents following Tasmanian seal deaths - ABC News - June 20th, 2021
- Sid the salmon-eating seal "not having an effect" on fish in the River Wye - South Wales Argus - June 20th, 2021
- This Video Of A Baby Seal's First Swim Lesson Will Melt Your Heart Into A Puddle - NDTV - June 20th, 2021
- FreightWaves Classics: Port of Los Angeles is the nations busiest! - FreightWaves - June 15th, 2021
- How to Witness the Rare Polar Solar Eclipse - AFAR Media - June 15th, 2021
- Boyd Expands Global Footprint With State-of-the-Art Facility in Vietnam - I-Connect007 - June 15th, 2021
- Great white sharks preparing to return to Cape Breton | Saltwire - SaltWire Network - June 15th, 2021
- Portion of Cousino Rd. to be repaved in LaSalle - Monroe Evening News - June 13th, 2021
- Flag Day 2021: New Jersey's connection to the Stars and Stripes - NorthJersey.com - June 13th, 2021
- Nothing compares to the first local luscious strawberries of the season - Farming Life - June 13th, 2021
- Boyd Corporation Expands Global Footprint With State-of-the-Art Facility in Vietnam - Business Wire - June 13th, 2021
- Airway Heights prison guard gets 2 months for smuggling drugs inside. Prisoner who received the drugs? He got 56 months. - The Spokesman-Review - June 13th, 2021
- Seven years in prison for chief mate of cargo vessel where Philly feds found record 20 tons of cocaine - The Philadelphia Inquirer - June 13th, 2021
- J.B. Webb Bassmaster Classic will be one to remember - Sherman Denison Herald Democrat - June 13th, 2021
- Principality of Sealand - Become A Lord Or Lady With Sealand - June 2nd, 2021
- About Sealand | The Principality Of Sealand | Sealand History - June 2nd, 2021
- Antengene Announces Fifteen Clinical Studies and Results of Selinexor to be Presented at ASCO 2021 - Stockhouse - June 2nd, 2021
- Notice of Public Hearing | Legal Announcements | newsadvance.com - Lynchburg News and Advance - May 27th, 2021
- New initiative inspires coexistence with seals on Cape Cod beaches - PRNewswire - May 27th, 2021
- How many children did Aretha Franklin have and where are they now? - Smooth Radio - May 27th, 2021
- Mollie Tibbetts case recap: 'I wouldn't harm her,' boyfriend testifies in Cristhian Bahena Rivera's trial - Des Moines Register - May 27th, 2021
- Researchers try to ID source of ghost fishing nets - Yahoo News - May 27th, 2021
- Luck of the Jewish? - The Jewish Standard - May 27th, 2021
- Plywood boards used to protect New York establishments are repurposed into captivating sculptures - Archinect - May 27th, 2021
- Seal: Heidi Klum and I have never had co-parenting teamwork - Inside NoVA - May 27th, 2021
- This Manual 1967 Mercury Cougar 289 Is Looking for a New and Caring Owner - autoevolution - May 27th, 2021
- Breathe easier and guard yourself against airborne contaminants with this KN95 respirator mask - The Straits Times - May 27th, 2021
- Behind Guam but ahead of other insular areas - Saipan Tribune - May 27th, 2021
- Maintenance on Platt Road near Ann Arbor could affect traffic - MLive.com - May 24th, 2021
- Which geological period is called the Age of Fishes? The Weekend quiz - The Guardian - May 24th, 2021
- Seal Says He and Heidi Klum Have Never Had Teamwork Coparenting Their Kids - Us Weekly - May 24th, 2021
- A grand strategy of resolute restraint - Brookings Institution - May 24th, 2021
- What you should be shredding and why - Tennessean - May 24th, 2021
- June construction could bring parking off streets and delays - Wyoming Tribune - May 24th, 2021
- USAF Ready to Move ABMS-Tech Into Operational Phase - autoevolution - May 24th, 2021
- Project updates for the Week of May 24, 2021 - Texas Department of Transportation - May 24th, 2021
- The two-state solution that envisages sovereign Palestine & Israel living side by side in peace is the only way to end their conflict, writes A L... - May 24th, 2021
- You don't have to wait for the Wisconsin State Fair to enjoy food on a stick. Try this grilled chicken souvlaki recipe. - Green Bay Press Gazette - May 24th, 2021
- Catholic high schools welcome return of in-person graduation ceremonies - Angelus News - May 24th, 2021
- From Invasion to Energy | Latest | NDWorks | University of Notre Dame - ND Newswire - May 24th, 2021
- Watch: Terrifying Deep Sea Creatures That Will Make You Stay Out Of Water - ED Times - May 24th, 2021
- Pro Gravel Racing Champ Colin Strickland Talks Training, Gear, and Moderation - GearJunkie - May 24th, 2021
- Managing the Oversupply of Ships in Ushuaia - Cruise Industry News - May 20th, 2021
- Part of 2.5m repairs grant set to be diverted to address recent flood damage at two Flintshire primary schools - Deeside.com - May 20th, 2021
- FBI warns against faking your COVID-19 vaccination card - WHIO Radio - May 9th, 2021
- Officials are urging people not to forge Covid-19 vaccine cards. Here's why it matters - WTVA - May 9th, 2021
- US Fish and Wildlife Service Celebrates Mother's Day with Mothers of the Wild - Sierra Sun Times - May 9th, 2021
- Houses buyers are 'fighting over' that are flying off the market in less than 24 hours - Liverpool Echo - May 9th, 2021
- Las Vegas to Southern California high-speed rail project is back on track - Archinect - May 9th, 2021
- Nikita Dutta on vaccination drive for all above 18: The faster the procedures, the better for everyone - Hindustan Times - May 9th, 2021
- Portland Softball Splits with Red Wings - theportlandbeacon.com - May 9th, 2021
- Message in a bottle may have made its way from the Titanic to a university in Quebec - CTV News Montreal - May 9th, 2021
- Retired SEAL Jocko Willink surprises guard members, tells them to relish adversity - Stars and Stripes - May 1st, 2021
- Big cat sighting hoax exposed as creature prowling city park revealed to be Goshi - Chester Zoo's black jaguar - LeaderLive - May 1st, 2021
- 10 Top-Notch Small Kitchen Appliances on Sale that Make Perfect Mothers Day Gifts - Thrillist - May 1st, 2021
- 2021 May Municipal Elections: Election integrity starts at the local level. We have to get it right here. - KAMR - MyHighPlains.com - May 1st, 2021
- Rules of the club - Lexology - May 1st, 2021
- MSC Set to Overtake Maersk as the World's Largest Container Line - The Maritime Executive - April 27th, 2021
- Marine Toilets Market Latest Innovations, Demand and Future Projections with top Major Key Player like Jabsco, Raritan Engineering, Reliance Products,... - April 27th, 2021
- Another sighting big cat in Blacon area of Chester - The Chester Standard - April 21st, 2021
- Column: Did Suez Canal Back-Up Have a N.C. Connection? - Southern Pines Pilot - April 19th, 2021
- Global Fresh and Naturally Fermented Birch Juice Market Size, Share, Value, and Competitive Landscape 2021 SoccerNurds - SoccerNurds - April 17th, 2021
- The story of the improbable micronation of Sealand - The Independent - April 15th, 2021
- Hannah Baiardi's new music comes "Straight From the Soul" - The Oakland Press - April 15th, 2021
- How to Get Rid of Ants, According to Experts - HouseBeautiful.com - April 15th, 2021
- Tree House brewery seeks final licenses to open in Sandwich by summer - Cape Cod Times - April 15th, 2021
- Ocean conditions, lost habitat drive salmon concerns | Opinion | thereflector.com - The Reflector - April 15th, 2021
- America's majority-minority confusion | TheHill - The Hill - April 15th, 2021
- Some Utah parents are protesting, but here's why Utah students will likely keep their masks on until summer - Salt Lake Tribune - April 15th, 2021
- Harvey Weinstein secretly indicted on rape charges by grand jury in Los Angeles - Q13 FOX (Seattle) - April 13th, 2021
- One on One: A link between a North Carolinian and the Suez Canal back-up? - The Coastland Times - The Coastland Times - April 13th, 2021
- Global Weatherstrip Seal Market Trends, Growth Demand, Opportunities & Forecast to 2026 | Cooper Standard, Toyoda Gosei, Hutchinson, Henniges,... - April 13th, 2021
- Madison takes second in 17 team Rigby Invite | Sports | rexburgstandardjournal.com - Rexburg Standard Journal - April 13th, 2021
- Banks, ATM booths face cash withdrawal pressure ahead of lockdown - Dhaka Tribune - April 13th, 2021