Treasure Valley CBD retailers say they dont expect to be immediately impacted by the new Idaho law, but there may be benefits in the near future.
BOISE, Idaho Gov. Brad Little on Friday signed a bill to legalize industrial hemp, ending Idahos distinction as the last state to legalize the non-intoxicating crop for cultivation by farmers. The bill also allows for transportation and processing of the plant.
The bill, HB 126, amends Idahos list of controlled substances to differentiate between hemp and marijuana. Hemp has no more than 0.3% THC, the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana.
The legislation authorizes the production, research, processing and transportation of industrial hemp by those licensed in Idaho, and allows the legal possession and transportation of the product, while removing hemp from Idahos list of Schedule I drugs, for those purposes.
Gov. Little signed the bill as he was convinced the bill does not compromise the states ability to enforce our drug laws and it allows farmers in Idaho to grow a commodity permitted under federal law, Littles press secretary Marissa Morrison Hyer said in an email Monday.
The bill does not legalize hemp products sold to consumers, including CBD oil, that contain any amount of THC.
The Idaho Farm Bureau proposed the bill. It passed the House 44-26 in March and the Senate 30-5 earlier this month.
House Bill 126 is a farming, processing, trucking and research bill, said Idaho Farm Bureau lobbyist Braden Jensen during a March hearing. House Bill 126 is not a CBD, THC or medical marijuana bill.
The bill includes an emergency clause making it effective immediately upon signing, but Idaho Farm Bureau representatives said the process of setting up the new regulation system for industrial hemp would take long enough that the first hemp growing season in Idaho likely wouldnt start until 2022.
Prior to HB 126, Idaho law made no distinction between industrial hemp and marijuana. As a result, the state arrested several truck drivers hauling loads of industrial hemp through Idaho and threatened them with drug trafficking charges that carry mandatory minimum prison terms.
Public testimony at the Statehouse in recent months was mostly favorable of the bill.
Tim Cornie, an organic farmer in Buhl, told the Idaho Press on Monday hes excited about the legalization. He said it will especially help diversify the crops grown in rural communities in Idaho.
The grain is nutritious and it gives farmers another rotational crop to add to the docket, Cornie said.
He estimated hemp could bring in $500 to $600 an acre for farmers that grow it, though he said with such a new crop its hard to estimate what the yield will be.The United States Department of Agriculture estimates in 2020 that potato crops brought in around $3,300 per acre, while wheat and barley brought in around $400-$500 per acre in Idaho.
Cornie is an organic processor and farmer with 1000 Springs Mill. He said the company would be interested in processing hemp hearts and other hemp products at the facility once the Idaho Farm Bureau sets regulations.
As a farmer, I am really excited for it because we need that rotation and diversification, he said. It is like if an investment company only has a few stocks, that isnt going to be sustainable. When we have crop diversity, it helps us be successful and sustainable.
Cornies only criticism is that the legislation took too long to become law. According tothe Idaho Statesman, Cornie testified in a 2020 Senate Agriculture Committee hearing on a previous industrial hemp bill.
Idaho farmers are losing that opportunity to make some money, he testified at the time.
Cornie said he sees farmers jumping on the opportunity to grow hemp. Though he estimates there will be a learning curve to growing it, he guessed farmers would start planting and harvesting as soon as possible.
Among those who testified at the Statehouse on HB 126 was Mattie Mead, founder and CEO of Hempitecture, a Ketchum-based company that specializes in hemp building materials. Hempitecture currently imports hemp wool from a manufacturer in Canada, which means money is being spent out of the state and country when it could stay in Idaho, Mead told lawmakers last month.
The reason Im supporting this bill is because my company is in the process of establishing a hemp wool facility here in southern Idaho, where weve received county approval, he said.
Prior to HB 126, it was legal to sell hemp-derived products in Idaho, as long as they contained no amount of THC. Shops selling CBD, or cannabidiol an extract from hemp thats used to treat various ailments, such as pain, anxiety and movement disorders opened across the state after the 2018 Farm Bill legalized hemp at the federal level.
Treasure Valley CBD retailers say they dont expect to be immediately impacted by the new Idaho law, but there may be benefits in the near future. Holly Pearl, who co-owns CBD Kave, an online retailer based in Kuna, with her husband, Nic Pearl, said she hopes to someday buy her products from local growers and processors.
I think it would be great to have some truly local products coming out of Idaho, she said. It is a great climate here for it. I can even see companies coming from other states to capitalize on the opportunity to grow here.
But retailers would have preferred to see HB 126 go further, to allow products with up to 0.3% THC be commercially sold.
The end goal, yes, that would be something that we want to do, said Alicia Miller, who co-owns The Honey Pot CBD in Boise with her husband, Jason Miller. We truly believe in the plant as a whole and its healing purposes.
Idaho Press reporter Betsy Z. Russell contributed.
See original here:
- Cellular biologist says CBD oil saved her son's life - The GrowthOp - June 20th, 2021
- 3 CBD Products to Help Your Workout Routine - SF Weekly - June 20th, 2021
- Kadenwood Achieves Largest CBD Retail Distribution Network in the US with the Acquisition of CBD Wellness Brand Social CBD - PRNewswire - June 20th, 2021
- CBDistillery Sets Aside Thousands Of Products To Advance The Efficacy of Hemp-Derived Wellness Products - PRNewswire - June 20th, 2021
- CBD Oil Extract Market Size and Analysis, Services With Its Application and Access Type by Future Forecast 2021-2028 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper -... - June 20th, 2021
- Skip the Aloe: How CBD Can Help With Sunburn - Green Entrepreneur - June 20th, 2021
- Middle East and Africa CBD Oil Market Industry Analysis And Detailed Profiles Of Top Industry Players 2021 2027 Says DBMR The Manomet Current - The... - June 20th, 2021
- CBD Capsules or Oils Which Is Better? - EconoTimes - June 20th, 2021
- Cannabidiol Oil (CBD Oil) Market Along with an Analysis of the Competitive Landscape 2021-2028 Clark County Blog - Clark County Blog - June 20th, 2021
- CBD Hemp Oil Market Strategic Imperatives for Success and Growth Analysis Clark County Blog - Clark County Blog - June 20th, 2021
- US hemp oil Market || Who are the Key Players in Market and How are They Performing in recent years? | Analysis and Forecast till 2027 KSU | The... - June 20th, 2021
- Hemp Oil in Dietary Supplements Market || What Is Driving the Production and Growth of Market? The Courier - The Courier - June 20th, 2021
- USA-Grown Organic CBD Topicals With Aim to Improve Americans' Lifestyles - PRNewswire - May 31st, 2021
- Pacific Roots Introduces Wellness and Pleasure Line Products Infused With CBD - PRNewswire - May 31st, 2021
- More Canadians turning to cannabis to help deal with pandemic pressures - CBC.ca - May 31st, 2021
- Global CBD Oil Extract Market is Expected to Grow at an Impressive CAGR by 2028 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - May 31st, 2021
- Global CBD Oil in Beauty Products Market Rising Trends,Competitive Strategies,Market Size,Latest Technologies Research And Future Scope 2025 ... - May 31st, 2021
- Deal: These CBD Gummies Will Cure Your Sunday Scaries - InsideHook - May 31st, 2021
- Impact of Covid-19 on CBD Hemp Oil Market 2020-2028 Canopy Growth Corporation, Medical Marijuana, Inc., Canndeo Limited, Aphria Inc. The Courier -... - May 31st, 2021
- Why Dont You Feel the Effects of CBD? - Phones Wiki - May 31st, 2021
- CBD Oil: What are 9 Proven or Possible Health Benefits? - May 27th, 2021
- Top 3 CBD Oils for Pain [That Actually Work] - 2021 Guide - May 27th, 2021
- CBD: Safe and effective? - Mayo Clinic - May 27th, 2021
- Can CBD Oil Be Used As An Antifungal? - nativenewsonline.net - May 27th, 2021
- WVU Today | As CBD oil sales hit the gas, WVU researcher studies its effects on driving performance - WVU Today - May 27th, 2021
- CBD Oil Market is Expected to Grow at an Impressive CAGR by 2028 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - May 27th, 2021
- Summer Means a Return to Activity, and Time for Cibadol Products - PRNewswire - May 27th, 2021
- Well Care Botanicals CBD Topicals: Our Review - Ministry of Hemp - May 27th, 2021
- 9 Best CBD Bundles and Starter Packs of 2021 - Healthline - May 20th, 2021
- What is CBD oil and how does it benefit your pets? - The Indian Express - May 20th, 2021
- CBD Oil Market 2021 Overview with Demographic Data and Industry Growth Trends 2028 The Courier - The Courier - May 20th, 2021
- Tips on Using Cannabis Oil for Treating Medical Conditions - The Leaf Online - May 20th, 2021
- What Is the Strongest CBD Oil and Where Can You Buy It? - The Leaf Online - May 20th, 2021
- Breakfast recipe: CBD oil overnight oats with pear and honey - Metro.co.uk - May 20th, 2021
- Millennia in the making: unlocking the medicinal value of CBD - Drug Target Review - May 20th, 2021
- I Took CBD For Two Weeks. Here's How It Made Me Feel - Longevity LIVE - Longevity LIVE - May 20th, 2021
- The global medical cannabis market is expected to reach US$ 49,116.4 million by 2028 from US$ 8,926.6 million in 2020 - Yahoo Finance - May 20th, 2021
- $18+ Billion Worldwide Industrial Hemp Industry to 2025 - Key Drivers, Restraints, Opportunities and Challenges - PRNewswire - May 20th, 2021
- CBD oil processor offers THC 'remediation,' but regulators urge caution - Pine Journal - May 16th, 2021
- How Using CBD Oil Can Give You a Good Night's Sleep - Critical Blast - May 16th, 2021
- 4 Ways To Check If Your Dog's CBD is Safe And Effective - - VENTS Magazine - May 16th, 2021
- Europe CBD Oil Market Forecast Including Growth Factors, Types And Application By Regional Geography 2021 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - May 16th, 2021
- $18+ billion worldwide industrial hemp industry to 2025 - key drivers, restraints, opportunities and challenges Greenway Magazine - Greenway - May 16th, 2021
- Top 5 CBD Snacks That You Should Try - UrbanMatter - May 16th, 2021
- High cannabis sales during the pandemic allows Calgary business to expand - Globalnews.ca - May 16th, 2021
- Global Hemp Derived CBD Oil Market 2020-2025 Industry Status and Trends Outlook By Type and Application Global Marketers Brockville Observer -... - May 16th, 2021
- CBD for pets: does it work and is it safe? - ZME Science - May 16th, 2021
- Hemp Oil in Dietary Supplements Market 2021 Is Booming Across the Globe by Share, Size, Growth, Segments and Forecast to 2027 | The Courier - The... - May 16th, 2021
- Hemp Oil Market (COVID-19 Impact Analysis) 2021 to See Major Growth in Revenue, Leading Players -Isodiol International Inc, HempLife Today, Hemp Oil... - May 16th, 2021
- Mental Health Awareness Week: Cannabis, CBD, and Anxiety - The Cannabis Exchange - May 16th, 2021
- US hemp oil Market: The Secret History And Future Growth | Value Share and Key Trends 2021-2027|| POST COVID-19 Unlock Opportunities with Coronavirus... - May 16th, 2021
- CBD of Denver to Present at the Investor Hot Seat on May 20 - StreetInsider.com - May 16th, 2021
- Cannabidiol Oil (CBD Oil) Market Size is Estimited To Reach USD XX Mn By 2023 with CAGR 36% Brockville Observer - Brockville Observer - May 16th, 2021
- Global Cannabidiol Oil (CBD Oil) Market Applications across Diverse Industry Verticals will emerge in Favor of Market Growth to Boost Sales Revenue ... - May 16th, 2021
- Worldwide Cannabinoid Hemp Oil Industry to 2025 - Legalised Supply of Quality-controlled CBD Oil for Sale is Driving Growth - PRNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- Best CBD Products To Try This Spring - vmagazine.com - April 23rd, 2021
- Martha Stewart, Jaleel White and more promote cannabis use: Experts weigh in on THC vs. CBD - USA TODAY - April 23rd, 2021
- The Chemistry of Delta-8 'New and Improved' THC - American Council on Science and Health - April 23rd, 2021
- How to Buy CBD for Dogs in Maryland - The Southern Maryland Chronicle - April 23rd, 2021
- The Benefits of Vaping CBD Oil - - VENTS Magazine - April 23rd, 2021
- Global Cannabidiol Oil (CBD Oil) Market 2021 Growth Analysis, Research, Trends, Key Players and Forecast to 2027 Clark County Blog - Clark County... - April 23rd, 2021
- Global Pharmaceutical Grade Hemp Oil Market 2021 with Top Countries Data Industry Growth Analysis, Future Demand and Leading Players Updates by... - April 23rd, 2021
- Hemp Oil Market 2021 Size Share Upcoming Trends Segmentation, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 Northern Gwinnett News - Northern Gwinnett News... - April 23rd, 2021
- Nextleaf Solutions Onboards New Partner and Delivers Initial Bulk CBD Order - StreetInsider.com - April 23rd, 2021
- CBD Oil (Middle East and Africa) Market to Witness the Highest Growth Globally in Coming Years 2021-2027 The Courier - The Courier - April 23rd, 2021
- Does CBD Oil Expire? How to Check and Whether It's Safe - Healthline - April 23rd, 2021
- CBD Oil Market Insights, Forecast and Global Industry Analysis | Medical Marijuana, FOLIUM BIOSCIENCES, IrieCBD The Courier - The Courier - April 23rd, 2021
- How Houstons Hemp-Based Highway Vodka Went From Hobby to Hot Commodity - Eater Houston - April 23rd, 2021
- CBD oil, mental health days for first responders? Here are some resources Austin personnel could be getting - KXAN.com - April 11th, 2021
- 11 Best CBD Companies to Buy From in 2021: Honest Reviews & Guide - Observer - April 11th, 2021
- Top 9 Tips on Using CBD Oil - Oregon Cannabis Connection - April 11th, 2021
- The Benefits of CBD Gummies - Orlando Magazine - April 11th, 2021
- Best CBD Dog Treats To Reduce Dog's Anxiety & Pain - Bainbridge Island Review - April 11th, 2021
- 7 Vegan CBD Products That Will Destress You Right Now - VegNews - April 11th, 2021
- CBD Oil Extract Market Global Demand to Offer Lucrative Growth Prospects For Manufacturers By Aurora Cannabis, MARICANN, Tilray, Tikun Olam, The... - April 11th, 2021
- I Tried Tommy Chong's Good Vibes Protocol CBD & It Changed Everything - L.A. Weekly - April 11th, 2021
- What To Expect In 2021 from CBD Oil Market, Know Why Competition is Rising The Bisouv Network - The Bisouv Network - April 11th, 2021
- CBD Oil Extract Market Insights, Facts, Figures and Trends 2021-2027 | MarketDigits The Bisouv Network - The Bisouv Network - April 11th, 2021
- Marijuana dispensary could be within reach for local CBD shop owner - wtkr.com - wtkr.com - April 11th, 2021
- Reefer Madness Crowd Discovers CBD With Predictable Results - The Fresh Toast - April 11th, 2021