BILLY COLEMAN, Chairman of Douglas Community Association (DCA) passed away on Friday, April 3.
We wish to offer our respect and condolence to his bereaved family, his wife, Antoinette and his eight children, John, Maureen, Grace, Claire, Barry, Orla, Thomas and David, his adored 15 grandchildren, his sister Jenny, brothers Tommy and Sean. He was predeceased by his sisters Ina and Maureen and brothers Francis and Fannin.
He will also be sadly missed by his sons-in-law, daughters-in-law, partners, brothers-in-law, sisters-in-law, nephews, nieces, relatives, and all his friends in The Douglas Community Association (DCA) and Kinsale Golf Club.
A larger than life, enthusiastic character, Billy was the Chairperson of DCA, involved in the association with this community project over forty years and had been chairman for many years.
He was a builder by trade and was a practical man, with a great intellect, and a wonderful ability in his interaction with people.
The original community building was up and running in 1986, built by Billys building company. This facility was key in providing the Douglas area with a community pre-school, an outstanding achievement at the time. The provision of the then new Meals-on-Wheels kitchen allowed for this service, which commenced in 1980, to flourish and is a huge success to this date.
Nearly 30 years on, he and the committee could see the need for expanding the community centre to update the Meals-on-Wheels service which had been operating in a small kitchen since 1986, a new office/reception for the public to engage, a meeting room, toilet facilities, and a big space upstairs that would be used by lots of groups, youth and others and he set his mind on doing that around 2008. Most of those facilities are now in place, except for the upstairs area which needs more funding to be completed.
One of his favourite projects at DCA was the Douglas Tidy Towns Group, of which he was a founder member. They met in the Community Park every Saturday morning, and ever hands-on, Billy looked forward to the Saturday morning clean-up around the area.
Last year was their best year ever, getting over the 300 marks in the National TT competition, and he was delighted.
Among many achievements, Billy was very proud of Douglas Community Assoc. winning IPB Pride of Place for Regions with 5,000 plus people in 2016 and being presented with a beautiful trophy and a cash prize in Belfasts Waterfront Hall.
Cork County Council had selected the association to represent Cork in the Douglas area and subsequently honoured all the participating groups with a reception in Vertigo, Cork County Hall.
The Pride of Place award was a testament to Billys mission in life which was essentially to make our community a better place and he did this through fostering and collaborating with those subgroups of DCA such as Meals-on-Wheels, Tidy Towns, Pre-School & Toddler Group and Events in the Park Committee but with neighbouring community groups, Douglas Seniors Group-Young at Heart, Lions Club, ICA and Douglas and St Fin Barres Scouts.
Always in good humour, Billy was available and willing to talk to people in the community, to discuss their ideas and to help out when he could. At every monthly meeting, he publicised that if anyone had an issue of a community nature, if they needed help, they could document it and it would be discussed at the meeting.
People confided in Billy, and he would always do what he could.
Our new extension, funded by SECAD, Dept of Health, the National Lotto, Cork County and City Councils, HSE Community South, local fund-raising activities and events and generous contributions from the local community, was a huge success story for the area and not alone Billy, but his Co-Directors, Nuala Keating, Bill Perrott and former Director Sheila Fitzgerald with the committee at DCA helping out along the way.
Billys family members were always willing to help him out too, especially on days when there were big events in the park run by the Events Group of volunteers. His wife, Antoinette, was always in tune with Billys dreams for the community and gave him her full backing. They were a very solid, loving pair.
Billy will never be forgotten for his service to the people of Douglas and we, at DCA, will miss him but will continue to keep his work going.
See the original post:
- Life extension health, rejuvenation and longevity - The Business Times - January 19th, 2021
- Divine Flavor adopts StePac' modified atmosphere standing pouches for extending produce shelf life in the retail sector - PRNewswire - January 19th, 2021
- miRagen Therapeutics Announces Company Name Change to Viridian Therapeutics and New Executive Appointments, Including Expansion of Leadership Team -... - January 19th, 2021
- Specialized Pro-Resolving Mediators (SPMs) Shown to Resolve Inflammation and Improve Infection Clearance - GlobeNewswire - January 19th, 2021
- On The Roof With...Green Roof Performance Expert Kirstin Weeks - Living Architecture Monitor magazine - January 19th, 2021
- True love, untimely death and robotics - Belfast Telegraph - January 19th, 2021
- Couer Mining subsidiary awards $30m contract to SNC-Lavalin | Supply Chain & Operations - Mining Global - Mining News, Magazine and Website - January 19th, 2021
- Vaccines and Ventilators: Need, Outcome or a Right to a Fair Go? - Practical Ethics - January 19th, 2021
- Whitehead Named Coordinator for International and Honors Programs in Bumpers College - University of Arkansas Newswire - January 19th, 2021
- Metrion Biosciences and LifeArc Further Extend Neuroscience-focused Ion Channel Drug Discovery Collaboration - BioSpace - January 19th, 2021
- Government to Cut Coal-fired and Nuclear Power Generation - BusinessKorea - December 29th, 2020
- Antibody study aims to protect those exposed to coronavirus from illness - The Jerusalem Post - December 29th, 2020
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are reportedly looking for an extension to their royal exit deal - woman&home - December 29th, 2020
- Five Persistent Misconceptions About Modernizing The US ICBM Force - Forbes - December 29th, 2020
- '20by2020' improves lives of thousands of fishermen and their families in Indonesia - Indonesia - ReliefWeb - December 29th, 2020
- Open Orphan wins vaccine contract extension and announces toxicology study completion - Value The Markets - December 29th, 2020
- Cryonics, brain preservation and the weird science of cheating death - CNET - July 6th, 2020
- Nano One update: progress on battery technology - The Armchair Trader - July 6th, 2020
- Highland Copper Announces Further Extension of White Pine Closing - GlobeNewswire - July 6th, 2020
- Registry is an arm of the Court and an extension of its dignity, says SC - The Leaflet - July 6th, 2020
- Hacking the Apocalypse: Your new guide to surviving the end of the world - MSN Money - July 6th, 2020
- How to get rid of fruit flies in your house | AgriLife Today - AgriLife Today - July 6th, 2020
- 'Life in the old dog yet': Hackney Law Centre thanks donors as it celebrates 40th anniversary - Hackney Citizen - July 6th, 2020
- David and Victoria Beckham plan garden extension with 91 metre lake at their Great Tew home - Banbury Guardian - July 6th, 2020
- Controlled Intelligent Packaging, Preservation and Shelf-Life Extension Market 2020 | by Manufacturers | by Countries | by Types and by Applications |... - July 5th, 2020
- Extension offers online session to help ag producers and others manage stress - Nevada Today - July 5th, 2020
- North America Blueberry Extract Market is expected to expand at the highest CAGR By 2027 | Top Business Players: Life Extension, Mazza Innovation,... - July 5th, 2020
- Kitchens Across America Trust Eat Cleaner Fruit + Veggie Wash, Available This July in New Value Size to Give People Kitchen Confidence | 2020-07-02 |... - July 5th, 2020
- Bruce Power partners give thousands to local charities - BlackburnNews.com - July 5th, 2020
- Antioxidant Supplement, Market Study for 2020 to 2026 Providing Information on Key Players, Growth Drivers and Industry Challenges|Vibrant Health, AST... - July 5th, 2020
- New Survey Reveals 74 Percent of Americans are Concerned that Vitamins and Supplements are not Backed by Trustworthy Research - PRNewswire - June 13th, 2020
- Maintaining health and nutrition while staying at home - WSAW - June 13th, 2020
- Why a decision on a second US plutonium-pit-production factory should be delayed - Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists - June 13th, 2020
- The Role Of Nuclear Power In A Clean Energy System - Seeking Alpha - June 13th, 2020
- Six months to break the deadlock on life after Brexit - The Advocate - June 13th, 2020
- Nukes in Space: the Extinction Rebellion Yet to Be - CounterPunch.org - CounterPunch - June 13th, 2020
- Further extension to mother-and-baby homes inquiry - RTE.ie - June 13th, 2020
- Enel Awarded 106.3 MW in Italy in GSE's Second Auction - Saurenergy - June 5th, 2020
- Has the United States Abandoned Arms Control? - War on the Rocks - June 5th, 2020
- Aeris Resources to acquire producing gold mine from Evolution in transformational move - Proactive Investors Australia - June 5th, 2020
- Artax Biopharma Announces Series B Financing Extension to Advance First-in-Class Autoimmune Disease Therapy - P&T Community - June 5th, 2020
- Drivers granted automatic licence renewal extension - Farming Life - June 5th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Melatonine Market Research Report: Probable Key Development To Be Observed Market States And Outlook Across By 2026 - News Distinct - June 5th, 2020
- Reishi Mushroom Supplements Market 2020- Analysis And In-Depth Research On Market Size, Trends, Emerging Growth Factors And Forecast To 2026 - Weekly... - June 5th, 2020
- Tuskegee one of three HBCU land-grants awarded $1.6M USDA Centers of Excellence grant - Tuskegee University - June 5th, 2020
- Eye Health Supplements Market 2020 Growth by Opportunities, Application, Driver, Current Trends and Forecast by 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 1st, 2020
- The Dak Prescott extension: What have the Cowboys offered? Plus, where negotiations stand - The Dallas Morning News - June 1st, 2020
- Milk Thistle Health Tonic Market In Depth Research with Industry Driving Factors, Consumer Behaviour Analysis, Future Trends, Key Players and Forecast... - June 1st, 2020
- Explained: What RBIs extension of loan moratorium means - The Indian Express - June 1st, 2020
- How to stop earwigs and coreopsis beetles: Ask an expert - oregonlive.com - June 1st, 2020
- Orthopedic Extension Devices Market 2019 | How The Industry Will Witness Substantial Growth In The Upcoming Years | Exclusive Report By Industry... - June 1st, 2020
- Goldstar Insurance and Prudential partner to offer COVID -19 cover - Uganda - June 1st, 2020
- Punjab Agricultural University gives warm send-off to Bhalla - Hindustan Times - June 1st, 2020
- Wife honors husband with continuing education center - Atlanta Journal Constitution - April 11th, 2020
- Letters To the Editor | Opinion - westvalleyview.com - April 11th, 2020
- The Military's E-6 Mercury Is Far Deadlier Than The F-35 Stealth Fighter - The National Interest - April 11th, 2020
- Extend New START -- The World Can't Afford a U.S.-Russia Nuclear Arms Race Too - Just Security - April 11th, 2020
- Brandon Scherff's excited to be in Washington, looking to be Redskin for life - Redskins Wire - April 11th, 2020
- "Life Won't Be Same Ever": Odisha First To Extend Lockdown Till April 30 - NDTV News - April 11th, 2020
- Get Growing: Good news, good riddance to gypsy moth caterpillars this year - The Recorder - April 11th, 2020
- Alkane Resources regional drilling south of TGO returns further broad, high-grade gold - Proactive Investors Australia - April 11th, 2020
- WAIVER EXTENSION, REVISED TIMING OF ENFORCEMENT - pa.gov - March 24th, 2020
- The U.S. Military's Behind-the-Scenes Moves To Protect Nuclear Readiness Amid Coronavirus - Newsweek - March 24th, 2020
- Mine life extension puts Kisladag back on the map - Creamer Media's Mining Weekly - February 24th, 2020
- WVU aims to make an impact in everyday West Virginians' lives - WV News - February 24th, 2020
- Over the Garden Gate: Bees are native pollinators - Ellwood City Ledger - February 24th, 2020
- What is the real cost of a Richards Avenue extension? - Santa Fe New Mexican - February 24th, 2020
- New Gold updates Rainy River and New Afton mine plans - The Northern Miner - February 24th, 2020
- Responsible Battery Coalition Applauds University of Michigan Research on Lithium-Ion Battery Degradation Calls Research Important Step in Educating... - February 24th, 2020
- Bruce Power marks next step of major project collaboration with ATS in Cambridge - TheRecord.com - February 24th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of ELD.TO earnings conference call or presentation 21-Feb-20 4:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - February 24th, 2020
- Senate panel agrees adding time to safe haven for babies a good step - KSL.com - February 24th, 2020
- Swine building maintenance the topic of statewide workshops - Discover Muscatine - February 24th, 2020
- Stress it is not a sign of weakness | News, Sports, Jobs - Morning Journal News - February 24th, 2020
- Arcadis working with the Georgia Department of Transportation to improve traffic congestion - Benzinga - February 24th, 2020
- Life With GDPR: Episode 36- Extension of British Airways Response Time for Proposed Fine - JD Supra - February 8th, 2020
- Max Muncys extension helps the argument for new service time rules - Beyond the Box Score - February 8th, 2020
- Noah Rubin's Behind The Racquet With Robert Ryland | Tennis 10sBalls - 10sBalls - February 8th, 2020
- Satellites: The $500 billion business | Industry Trends - IBC365 - February 8th, 2020
- The many lives of charcoal - Penn: Office of University Communications - February 8th, 2020