Dont expect American tech powerhouse Apple to launch a cryptocurrency any time soon or ever for that matter.
Well, at least not while the companys chief executive officer Tim Cook is at the helm. The CEO noted in a new interview with French financial newspaper Les chos that he believes states, and not private entities like firms, should remain societys monetary masters.
Asked by the publication whether Apple was planning to launch its own money, Cook said No, adding:
I seriously think money needs to stay in the hands of nation states. I am not comfortable with the idea of a private group creating a competing money. A private enterprise doesnt have to strive for power like this. Money, like national defense, needs to remain the domain of nation states, its at the heart of their mission. We elect our representatives to undertake government responsibilities. Businesses or private groups are not elected, they dont have to enter this field.
Thats open and shut as far as sentiment goes, and many people in mainstream circles would agree with Cooks positions here. Could his thinking evolve on money in the coming years? Of course. But theres no debating where Cook currently stands on the matter.
To be sure, reasonable people can disagree on monetary subjects. Yet there is no question that with the advance of top cryptocurrencies like bitcoin and ether combined with Facebooks major Libra splash that money, what it is and what it can be, is now a matter that the largest organizations are increasingly taking positions on.
At Apple the buck stops with Tim Cook as far as the companys wider strategies go, so when he says money should remain in the realm of states, its a bright flashing signal that Apple isnt making its own rendition of the Libra for the foreseeable future.
Still, it appears the tech giant is keeping its ears to the ground where the possibilities cryptocurrencies are concerned, at least according to comments made by Apple Pay vice president Jennifer Bailey in September.When interviewed by CNN at a private event in San Francisco on September 5th, Bailey said:
Were watching cryptocurrency We think its interesting. We think it has interesting long-term potential, but were primarily focused on what consumers are using today.
The payments arm of the massive company, Apple Pay made waves earlier this year when it unveiled the Apple Card, a fee-less titanium debit card that users could link to their Apple Pay accounts.
Some saw the new product as a potential challenge to traditional banks. Yet combined with Cooks latest remarks, it seems that banks and not money itself marks the limit of what Apple is willing to shakeup right now.
Again, though, the company isnt totally burying its head regarding the possibilities around cryptocurrencies.
If you look at QR code payment solutions, if you look at the long-term potential of cryptocurrency, I think youll continue to see that change over time, Bailey told CNN.
Apple may not have to shakeup the money game itself if the central banking system of the United States does so first.
Theres nothing concrete on that front at the moment. But American lawmakers did notably send Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell a series of questions this week that centered around any plans the Fed might have digitizing the dollar as a cryptocurrency.
While some Americans currently use cryptocurrency for speculative purposes, usage of digital assets may well increasingly align with that of paper money in the future, the congressmen said.
How Chairman Powell will respond remains to be seen, but it does look like the tides are steadily changing regardless.
eToro Risk Warning: 75% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading CFDs with this provider. You should consider whether you can afford to take the high risk of losing your money.
Go here to read the rest:
Have at It, Libra: Theres No Apple Cryptocurrency on the Horizon - Blockonomi
- U.S. Authorities Arrest Virgil Griffith For Teaching Cryptocurrency And Blockchain - Forbes - November 30th, 2019
- Nearly $50 Million of Ether Swiped From South Korean Cryptocurrency Exchange - The Wall Street Journal - November 30th, 2019
- What Hides Behind South Korean Cryptocurrency Regulation Policy? - The Diplomat - November 30th, 2019
- Thailand: Cryptocurrency Law Will Change in 2020 to Stay Competitive - Cointelegraph - November 30th, 2019
- The Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin back on recovery track, Ripple and Ethereum follow the lead - FXStreet - November 30th, 2019
- CipherTrace Q3 2019 Cryptocurrency AML Report: 2/3 of the Top 120 - AiThority - November 30th, 2019
- XRP and Ripple Name-Dropped on BBC Segment on Cryptocurrency - Ethereum World News - November 30th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Crime Spikes This Year and SMBs are Paying the Price - Commercial Integrator - November 30th, 2019
- This Cryptocurrency Is Up 11310% in a Week. Legit Scam or Just Legit? - CCN.com - November 30th, 2019
- Akon has started building Akon City in Senegal with focus on cryptocurrency and renewable energy - Evening Standard - November 30th, 2019
- $150 Billion Cryptocurrency Boom Is Here Buy This ETF to Profit - Banyan Hill Publishing - November 30th, 2019
- Crypto Tidbits: RBC May Embrace Bitcoin, China Bashes Cryptocurrency, Ethereum DeFi Booming - newsBTC - November 17th, 2019
- Is a Cryptocurrency Derivatives Boom On Its Way? - Yahoo Finance - November 17th, 2019
- 2 men arrested in elaborate plot to steal $550K in cryptocurrency by hacking social media accounts - USA TODAY - November 17th, 2019
- This cryptocurrencys price just pumped 7,000%, but why? - Decrypt - November 17th, 2019
- The cryptocurrency market update: Bitcoin and major altcoins pass the time in ranges - FXStreet - November 17th, 2019
- Crypto-corruption In 2018, a major Russian cryptocurrency exchange lost $450 million in Bitcoin. Now, the exchange's founder is saying he transferred... - November 17th, 2019
- Big Canadian bank rumored to offer cryptocurrency accounts, Bitcoin trading - The Next Web - November 17th, 2019
- Switzerland gets another Bitcoin bank that holds cryptocurrency for customers - The Next Web - November 17th, 2019
- Banning Cryptocurrency Is Not On Indian Parliaments Winter Session Agenda - Inc42 Media - November 17th, 2019
- What Could Trigger the Next Cryptocurrency Alt Season? - Dash News - November 17th, 2019
- U.S. cant let criminals get the upper hand by using Chinas coming cryptocurrency - MarketWatch - November 17th, 2019
- China planning to reward its soldiers with cryptocurrency - FXStreet - November 17th, 2019
- Creativity and Value Will Win the Cryptocurrency Exchange Wars - newsBTC - November 17th, 2019
- Heres why the UK should launch its own cryptocurrency - Telegraph.co.uk - November 17th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Exchange Bankruptcies Are the Failed ICOs of 2019 - BeInCrypto - November 17th, 2019
- Beware of cryptocurrency gurus like Dr Ruja and her OneCoin cult - Jim Duffy - The Scotsman - November 17th, 2019
- China to reward troops with cryptocurrency bonuses - Express - November 17th, 2019
- The cryptocurrency market update: Bitcoin and major altcoins are vulnerable to further losses - FXStreet - November 17th, 2019
- Helium is building a peer-to-peer internet-of-things network - Fast Company - November 17th, 2019
- Coinbase Announces its Upcoming Cryptocurrency IRA - The Merkle Hash - November 17th, 2019
- Three Classic Coins That Attempt To Preserve Existing Cryptocurrency Features - Bitrates - November 17th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency tracking improves -- but how? - FCW.com - November 9th, 2019
- Senator Romney Considers Action As A Nation On Cryptocurrency Threat To Homeland Security - Forbes - November 9th, 2019
- Why Is the Stellar Lumen Cryptocurrency Up 18% Today? - Motley Fool - November 9th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency This Week: Facebooks Marcus Terms Bitcoin Not A Currency; Regulation A Must, ... - Inc42 Media - November 9th, 2019
- Vancouver-based cryptocurrency exchange latest to shutter with millions owing to clients - Vancouver Sun - November 9th, 2019
- Governments race to beat Facebook's cryptocurrency, libra, at its own game: Don Pittis - CBC.ca - November 9th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency for Africa: Akon Reveals When He's Going to Launch His Own Coin - U.Today - November 9th, 2019
- Swell the News? XRP Drops 5% as Ripples Flagship Event Kicks Off - Cointelegraph - November 9th, 2019
- Why Are Cryptocurrencies Becoming a Mainstay of International Business Platforms? - CryptoNewsZ - November 9th, 2019
- Startup Targets Cryptocurrency Crime - But Will The Big Banks Come On Board? - Forbes - October 24th, 2019
- Major Bitcoin Miner Warns The Cryptocurrency Needs Better Privacy - Forbes - October 24th, 2019
- Why Cryptocurrency is in The Spotlight For More Central Banks - newsBTC - October 24th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Mining Hardware Market 2019-2023 | Evolving Opportunities with Advanced Micro Devices, Inc and Baikal Miner | Technavio - Business Wire - October 24th, 2019
- Bank of Canada Warms To National Cryptocurrency, Will it Compete Against Bitcoin? - newsBTC - October 24th, 2019
- Facebook's Cryptocurrency Libra Could Threaten Alipay and WeChat Pay, Tencent Says - CryptoGlobe - October 24th, 2019
- Are Smart Cities The Pathway To Blockchain And Cryptocurrency Adoption? - Forbes - October 24th, 2019
- Where US Regulators Stand on Cryptocurrency - Bitcoin News - October 24th, 2019
- Europol: Bitcoin is the principal cryptocurrency used in the dark web - FXStreet - October 17th, 2019
- SEC puts a stop to Telegram's cryptocurrency plans in the US - Engadget - October 17th, 2019
- Alert: IRS Releases Long-Awaited Guidance on Taxation of Cryptocurrency Transactions - JD Supra - October 17th, 2019
- Chinas Global Cryptocurrency May Be on the Horizon - ETF Trends - October 17th, 2019
- As Facebook's libra faces headwinds, China is racing to launch its own global cryptocurrency - CNBC - October 16th, 2019
- Mastering Emotions and Managing Risk in Cryptocurrency Trading - Coindesk - October 16th, 2019
- Telegram might be forced to put its global cryptocurrency plans on ice - MIT Technology Review - October 16th, 2019
- Bitcoin Will Break Out Again in November, Suggests Cryptocurrency Trader - BeInCrypto - October 16th, 2019
- Theres A New Question On Your 1040 As IRS Gets Serious About Cryptocurrency - Forbes - October 16th, 2019
- An overview of Facebooks cryptocurrency supporters whos in and whos out - The Next Web - October 16th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency market update: Bulls swinging into action, Bitcoin, Ripple and Ethereum in the green - FXStreet - October 16th, 2019
- Another partner abandons Facebooks cryptocurrency - Marketplace.org - October 16th, 2019
- The New Guidance on Cryptocurrency - Accountingweb.com - October 16th, 2019
- The issuer of a star cryptocurrency is being sued for $1.4trn - The Economist - October 16th, 2019
- Casbaneiro is a threat to cryptocurrency in Latin America - Yahoo Finance - October 16th, 2019
- CipherTrace report: 87% of cryptocurrency trading is now traceable - FXStreet - October 16th, 2019
- Facebooks Blockchain-Based Cryptocurrency Libra: Everything You Need To Know - Forbes - October 8th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency: What to know about digital money - Fox Business - October 8th, 2019
- India must note that bitcoin is much more than a cryptocurrency - Quartz India - October 8th, 2019
- The Best Way to Play Bitcoin and the Cryptocurrency Market - The Motley Fool - October 8th, 2019
- 'We're closer than we've ever been' to bitcoin ETF approval, says Bitwise head of research - CNBC - October 8th, 2019
- The World's View of Cryptocurrency and Blockchain Is Rapidly Changing - Times of India - October 8th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency firm slapped with cease-and-desist after impersonating registered financial adviser - The Next Web - October 8th, 2019
- International exchanges campaign against UK cryptocurrency derivatives ban - The Next Web - October 8th, 2019
- 7 Top Cryptocurrency Traders to Follow on Twitter - BeInCrypto - October 8th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency buying and selling and how it works - What Investment - October 8th, 2019
- How Adoption Of Cryptocurrency Stablecoins Can Open Access To The 1.7 Billion Unbanked and Poor - Forbes - October 8th, 2019
- This Cryptocurrency Just Surpassed Bitcoin In One Key Adoption Metric - Forbes - October 2nd, 2019
- Will Facebook's Libra Overtake Bitcoin Cryptocurrency And The Ethereum Blockchain? How Will It Work? - Forbes - October 2nd, 2019
- Bitcoin has a massive carbon footprint. This clever new cryptocurrency doesnt - Digital Trends - October 2nd, 2019
- The Potential and Reality of Cryptocurrency in Video Gaming - Finextra - October 2nd, 2019