Harvey Weinstein secretly indicted on rape charges by grand jury in Los Angeles
Harvey Weinstein was secretly indicted on rape charges by a grand jury in Los Angeles a couple weeks ago, Fox News has learned.
LOS ANGELES - Harvey Weinstein was secretly indicted on rape charges by a grand jury in Los Angeles a couple weeks ago, Fox News has learned. The move by LA District Attorney George Gascn should facilitate the extradition of the Hollywood producer from New York so that he can be tried.
The indictment is virtually identical to the criminal complaint, which had been filed in January 2020 by former DA Jackie Lacey. The disgraced movie mogul, who is already serving a 23-year sentence in New York for rape and sexual assault, faces 11 counts in California, including rape and sexual battery involving five incidents that allegedly took place between 2004 and 2013. If convicted, he faces up to 140 years behind bars.
Movie producer Harvey Weinstein (R) enters New York City Criminal Court on February 24, 2020 in New York City. Jury deliberations in the high-profile trial are believed to be nearing a close, with a verdict on Weinstein's numerous rape and sexual mis
The indictment, which is still under seal, and arrest warrant for Weinstein are expected to be publicly revealed Monday afternoon at his extradition hearing in Erie County, New York. The producer is serving his time at the maximum-security Wende Correctional Facility near Buffalo. The LA case has been delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but the DAs office does not want to wait any longer.
According to legal experts, by getting an indictment, LA prosecutors can streamline the proceedings and are able to go straight to trial, rather than doing it under a criminal complaint that would then require a preliminary hearing. "This process will eliminate the need for a preliminary hearing which is kind of a minitrial like we saw in the OJ case: there was the trial before the trial," criminal defense attorney Troy Slaten explained, adding that in the LA County, the use of grand jury is limited to very few cases. With this move and under the law that allows the borrowed custody, the California state can get custody of the New Yorks inmate and must commence trial within 120 days.
The Los Angeles DAs office has not responded to Fox News' inquiries on the secret indictment so far. Weinsteins attorney in the LA case and an attorney for two of the five accusers, Gloria Allred, have both declined to comment.
"These are stale, unsubstantiated, uncorroborated, uncredible allegations that arose during the hysteria of the #MeToo movement and we're confident that Mr. Weinstein will be acquitted because there's no credible evidence against him. He's innocent," defense lawyer Mark Werksman stated regarding the charges.
On Monday, his attorneys are expected to ask for a delay of the extradition, citing his "poor" health conditions, which would put him at higher risk under the current pandemic. But the chances of a postponement are slim as their next shot would be with Gov. Andrew Cuomo, who is currently battling sexual harassment allegations. Weinstein could be extradited to LA within 30 days of tomorrows hearing.
Allred is hopeful that his transfer will be finally done so that he can also have his day in court in the West Coast. "It appears to me that Mr. Weinstein does not wish to be removed to Los Angeles to face charges, but justice delayed is justice denied," she added.
Get your top stories delivered daily! Sign up for FOX 11s Fast 5 newsletter. And, get breaking news alerts in the FOX 11 News app. Download for iOS or Android.
A longtime women's rights attorney, Allred represents Mimi Haleyi, one of the women whose sex assault accusations Weinstein was found guilty of in New York. In the LA case, Allred is defending one unnamed woman and Lauren Young, who has come forward publicly as she was a witness in the New York criminal trial over a year ago. Young, a model and actress, testified then that Weinstein sexually assaulted her in a Beverly Hills hotel in February 2013 after being trapped inside a bathroom with him. He allegedly groped her while masturbating before she was able to flee.
LA prosecutors allege that Weinstein raped an Italian model at another Beverly Hills hotel on Feb. 18, 2013, just a day before the attack against Young. The alleged assaults of the other three women all took place at Beverly Hills hotels.
Regardless of how the California case ends, the former producer would still have to return to New York to serve the rest of his 23-year sentence, which is currently on appeal.
Get updates on this story from FOX News.
- Cannabis industry group pushes 'green seal' and tax credits - Times Union - July 29th, 2021
- Sealand: The extraordinary tale of a micronation off the Suffolk coast where you can become a duke or duchess - Cambridgeshire Live - July 29th, 2021
- 10 game releases to look out for in August 2021 - Animation Xpress - July 29th, 2021
- Lawrence County Courthouse exterior project to be finished in October - Ellwood City Ledger - July 29th, 2021
- A-10 Warthogs Are About To Operate From A US Highway For The First Time - The Drive - July 29th, 2021
- What Is Killing The Birds? - Union County Daily Digital - July 29th, 2021
- Certified American Grown is Honored to have Congressional Resolutions Introduced to Celebrate American Grown Flowers and Foliage Month -... - July 29th, 2021
- The mystery of the meaning behind Honiton's town seal - Midweek Herald - July 29th, 2021
- HOPING TO BE TUFF ENOUGH | Jamestown Press - Jamestown Press - July 29th, 2021
- Review: You'll lose your head over a great Dev Patel and dazzling 'The Green Knight' - USA TODAY - July 29th, 2021
- 'Foul smell' that has plagued a Chester road for years is back - Cheshire Live - July 21st, 2021
- People living on Welsh border tormented by smell likened to dead bodies and human waste - North Wales Live - July 21st, 2021
- The big business of nobility titles - The Hustle - July 21st, 2021
- Few efforts to derail WU TRAIN BAKER lays out federal COVID relief spending plan Where is JANEY'S REPORT on PATRICK ROSE? - Politico - July 21st, 2021
- Pidlite Industries appoints Sudhanshu Vats as deputy managing director - Mint - July 21st, 2021
- City of Jackson is set to replace its seal, and it's saying goodbye to Andrew Jackson and his horse - WSYM-TV - July 14th, 2021
- Toughest Summer Job: Repairing asphalt in the heat - WeAreGreenBay.com - July 14th, 2021
- Is Breaking the Seal a Real Thing When Drinking Alcohol? - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - July 14th, 2021
- How to turn past-their-best summer berries into a refreshing drink recipe - The Guardian - July 14th, 2021
- Acosta on Trump Appearing at CPAC: 'Take Your Fake White House Seal and Go Play President Somewhere Else - Mediaite - July 14th, 2021
- East Morgan County Library News: Collection is full of items of all kinds for check out - Fort Morgan Times - July 14th, 2021
- 'Wherever you go, you can make a friend' | Hometown Heroes 2021 | beacononlinenews.com - The West Volusia Beacon - July 14th, 2021
- Great White Sightings Are Up But You Can Avoid A Shark Attack With Common Sense, Say Experts - Forbes - July 14th, 2021
- County Durham women on 4x4x48 run to beat pancreatic cancer - The Northern Echo - July 14th, 2021
- Opportunities in India's Trade and Investment with Iran - India Briefing - July 14th, 2021
- Keypoint Intelligence Awards Canon, Epson, and HP with BLI Summer 2021 A4 Picks - PR Web - July 14th, 2021
- LBUSD sees massive summer school enrollment, and it's more than remedial classes Long Beach Post News - Long Beach Post - July 12th, 2021
- Chester 10k 2021: What runners and residents need to know - The Chester Standard - July 12th, 2021
- Home Sweet Home Chicago (06/26/21) David Hochberg with MEGAPros Joe, Tom Jahnke with Builder Supply Outlet, Roy Spencer from Perma-Seal, and the VP... - June 28th, 2021
- Kill Cliff Releases Limited Edition Commemorative Cans Celebrating 10 Years Of Giving Back To The Navy SEAL Foundation - BevNET.com - June 28th, 2021
- GOP Congressional Candidate Used Campaign Funds to Take Part in Capitol Breach - Truthout - June 28th, 2021
- 2 ex-O.C. sheriffs deputies who are twin brothers admit to military leave fraud costing taxpayers nearly $50K - KTLA - June 28th, 2021
- A GOP candidate used leftover cash from his failed congressional campaign to pay for a trip to the Capitol riot, report says - Yahoo News - June 28th, 2021
- For history and culture lovers, there's no place like Sitka - Anchorage Daily News - June 28th, 2021
- What is the Colombia Check-MIG Form and How You Can Get It - Luxury Travel Magazine - June 28th, 2021
- Blackfish: how captive killer whale documentary ended SeaWorld's orca breeding programme - The Conversation UK - June 23rd, 2021
- Surge testing in two areas of Chester amid 'alarming' rise in Covid rate - The Chester Standard - June 20th, 2021
- David Athertons dressing recipes for summer salads - The Guardian - June 20th, 2021
- Seal season's a busy time for rescue groups, but not all washed-up pups are in need - ABC News - June 20th, 2021
- The 2021 SCO International Round Table was held in Lianyungang, Jiangsu - PRNewswire - June 20th, 2021
- 'The Office' trivia, Father's Day fishing: 15 events, things to do in Spring and Klein in June, July - Community Impact Newspaper - June 20th, 2021
- Calls for inquiry into legislated and approved animal deterrents following Tasmanian seal deaths - ABC News - June 20th, 2021
- Sid the salmon-eating seal "not having an effect" on fish in the River Wye - South Wales Argus - June 20th, 2021
- This Video Of A Baby Seal's First Swim Lesson Will Melt Your Heart Into A Puddle - NDTV - June 20th, 2021
- FreightWaves Classics: Port of Los Angeles is the nations busiest! - FreightWaves - June 15th, 2021
- How to Witness the Rare Polar Solar Eclipse - AFAR Media - June 15th, 2021
- Boyd Expands Global Footprint With State-of-the-Art Facility in Vietnam - I-Connect007 - June 15th, 2021
- Great white sharks preparing to return to Cape Breton | Saltwire - SaltWire Network - June 15th, 2021
- Portion of Cousino Rd. to be repaved in LaSalle - Monroe Evening News - June 13th, 2021
- Flag Day 2021: New Jersey's connection to the Stars and Stripes - NorthJersey.com - June 13th, 2021
- Nothing compares to the first local luscious strawberries of the season - Farming Life - June 13th, 2021
- Boyd Corporation Expands Global Footprint With State-of-the-Art Facility in Vietnam - Business Wire - June 13th, 2021
- Airway Heights prison guard gets 2 months for smuggling drugs inside. Prisoner who received the drugs? He got 56 months. - The Spokesman-Review - June 13th, 2021
- Seven years in prison for chief mate of cargo vessel where Philly feds found record 20 tons of cocaine - The Philadelphia Inquirer - June 13th, 2021
- J.B. Webb Bassmaster Classic will be one to remember - Sherman Denison Herald Democrat - June 13th, 2021
- Principality of Sealand - Become A Lord Or Lady With Sealand - June 2nd, 2021
- About Sealand | The Principality Of Sealand | Sealand History - June 2nd, 2021
- Antengene Announces Fifteen Clinical Studies and Results of Selinexor to be Presented at ASCO 2021 - Stockhouse - June 2nd, 2021
- Notice of Public Hearing | Legal Announcements | newsadvance.com - Lynchburg News and Advance - May 27th, 2021
- New initiative inspires coexistence with seals on Cape Cod beaches - PRNewswire - May 27th, 2021
- How many children did Aretha Franklin have and where are they now? - Smooth Radio - May 27th, 2021
- Mollie Tibbetts case recap: 'I wouldn't harm her,' boyfriend testifies in Cristhian Bahena Rivera's trial - Des Moines Register - May 27th, 2021
- Researchers try to ID source of ghost fishing nets - Yahoo News - May 27th, 2021
- Luck of the Jewish? - The Jewish Standard - May 27th, 2021
- Plywood boards used to protect New York establishments are repurposed into captivating sculptures - Archinect - May 27th, 2021
- Seal: Heidi Klum and I have never had co-parenting teamwork - Inside NoVA - May 27th, 2021
- This Manual 1967 Mercury Cougar 289 Is Looking for a New and Caring Owner - autoevolution - May 27th, 2021
- Breathe easier and guard yourself against airborne contaminants with this KN95 respirator mask - The Straits Times - May 27th, 2021
- Behind Guam but ahead of other insular areas - Saipan Tribune - May 27th, 2021
- Maintenance on Platt Road near Ann Arbor could affect traffic - MLive.com - May 24th, 2021
- Which geological period is called the Age of Fishes? The Weekend quiz - The Guardian - May 24th, 2021
- Seal Says He and Heidi Klum Have Never Had Teamwork Coparenting Their Kids - Us Weekly - May 24th, 2021
- A grand strategy of resolute restraint - Brookings Institution - May 24th, 2021
- What you should be shredding and why - Tennessean - May 24th, 2021
- June construction could bring parking off streets and delays - Wyoming Tribune - May 24th, 2021
- USAF Ready to Move ABMS-Tech Into Operational Phase - autoevolution - May 24th, 2021
- Project updates for the Week of May 24, 2021 - Texas Department of Transportation - May 24th, 2021
- The two-state solution that envisages sovereign Palestine & Israel living side by side in peace is the only way to end their conflict, writes A L... - May 24th, 2021
- You don't have to wait for the Wisconsin State Fair to enjoy food on a stick. Try this grilled chicken souvlaki recipe. - Green Bay Press Gazette - May 24th, 2021
- Catholic high schools welcome return of in-person graduation ceremonies - Angelus News - May 24th, 2021