Harvey Weinstein secretly indicted on rape charges by grand jury in Los Angeles
Harvey Weinstein was secretly indicted on rape charges by a grand jury in Los Angeles a couple weeks ago, Fox News has learned.
LOS ANGELES - Harvey Weinstein was secretly indicted on rape charges by a grand jury in Los Angeles a couple weeks ago, Fox News has learned. The move by LA District Attorney George Gascn should facilitate the extradition of the Hollywood producer from New York so that he can be tried.
The indictment is virtually identical to the criminal complaint, which had been filed in January 2020 by former DA Jackie Lacey. The disgraced movie mogul, who is already serving a 23-year sentence in New York for rape and sexual assault, faces 11 counts in California, including rape and sexual battery involving five incidents that allegedly took place between 2004 and 2013. If convicted, he faces up to 140 years behind bars.
Movie producer Harvey Weinstein (R) enters New York City Criminal Court on February 24, 2020 in New York City. Jury deliberations in the high-profile trial are believed to be nearing a close, with a verdict on Weinstein's numerous rape and sexual mis
The indictment, which is still under seal, and arrest warrant for Weinstein are expected to be publicly revealed Monday afternoon at his extradition hearing in Erie County, New York. The producer is serving his time at the maximum-security Wende Correctional Facility near Buffalo. The LA case has been delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but the DAs office does not want to wait any longer.
According to legal experts, by getting an indictment, LA prosecutors can streamline the proceedings and are able to go straight to trial, rather than doing it under a criminal complaint that would then require a preliminary hearing. "This process will eliminate the need for a preliminary hearing which is kind of a minitrial like we saw in the OJ case: there was the trial before the trial," criminal defense attorney Troy Slaten explained, adding that in the LA County, the use of grand jury is limited to very few cases. With this move and under the law that allows the borrowed custody, the California state can get custody of the New Yorks inmate and must commence trial within 120 days.
The Los Angeles DAs office has not responded to Fox News' inquiries on the secret indictment so far. Weinsteins attorney in the LA case and an attorney for two of the five accusers, Gloria Allred, have both declined to comment.
"These are stale, unsubstantiated, uncorroborated, uncredible allegations that arose during the hysteria of the #MeToo movement and we're confident that Mr. Weinstein will be acquitted because there's no credible evidence against him. He's innocent," defense lawyer Mark Werksman stated regarding the charges.
On Monday, his attorneys are expected to ask for a delay of the extradition, citing his "poor" health conditions, which would put him at higher risk under the current pandemic. But the chances of a postponement are slim as their next shot would be with Gov. Andrew Cuomo, who is currently battling sexual harassment allegations. Weinstein could be extradited to LA within 30 days of tomorrows hearing.
Allred is hopeful that his transfer will be finally done so that he can also have his day in court in the West Coast. "It appears to me that Mr. Weinstein does not wish to be removed to Los Angeles to face charges, but justice delayed is justice denied," she added.
Get your top stories delivered daily! Sign up for FOX 11s Fast 5 newsletter. And, get breaking news alerts in the FOX 11 News app. Download for iOS or Android.
A longtime women's rights attorney, Allred represents Mimi Haleyi, one of the women whose sex assault accusations Weinstein was found guilty of in New York. In the LA case, Allred is defending one unnamed woman and Lauren Young, who has come forward publicly as she was a witness in the New York criminal trial over a year ago. Young, a model and actress, testified then that Weinstein sexually assaulted her in a Beverly Hills hotel in February 2013 after being trapped inside a bathroom with him. He allegedly groped her while masturbating before she was able to flee.
LA prosecutors allege that Weinstein raped an Italian model at another Beverly Hills hotel on Feb. 18, 2013, just a day before the attack against Young. The alleged assaults of the other three women all took place at Beverly Hills hotels.
Regardless of how the California case ends, the former producer would still have to return to New York to serve the rest of his 23-year sentence, which is currently on appeal.
Get updates on this story from FOX News.
- Sealand adds weekly Port of Wilmington call to its NAE service - American Journal of Transportation - May 16th, 2021
- FBI warns against faking your COVID-19 vaccination card - WHIO Radio - May 9th, 2021
- Officials are urging people not to forge Covid-19 vaccine cards. Here's why it matters - WTVA - May 9th, 2021
- US Fish and Wildlife Service Celebrates Mother's Day with Mothers of the Wild - Sierra Sun Times - May 9th, 2021
- Houses buyers are 'fighting over' that are flying off the market in less than 24 hours - Liverpool Echo - May 9th, 2021
- Las Vegas to Southern California high-speed rail project is back on track - Archinect - May 9th, 2021
- Nikita Dutta on vaccination drive for all above 18: The faster the procedures, the better for everyone - Hindustan Times - May 9th, 2021
- Portland Softball Splits with Red Wings - theportlandbeacon.com - May 9th, 2021
- Message in a bottle may have made its way from the Titanic to a university in Quebec - CTV News Montreal - May 9th, 2021
- Retired SEAL Jocko Willink surprises guard members, tells them to relish adversity - Stars and Stripes - May 1st, 2021
- Big cat sighting hoax exposed as creature prowling city park revealed to be Goshi - Chester Zoo's black jaguar - LeaderLive - May 1st, 2021
- 10 Top-Notch Small Kitchen Appliances on Sale that Make Perfect Mothers Day Gifts - Thrillist - May 1st, 2021
- 2021 May Municipal Elections: Election integrity starts at the local level. We have to get it right here. - KAMR - MyHighPlains.com - May 1st, 2021
- Rules of the club - Lexology - May 1st, 2021
- Here Are Some of the Rejected Arlington Logo Designs - ARLnow - May 1st, 2021
- MSC Set to Overtake Maersk as the World's Largest Container Line - The Maritime Executive - April 27th, 2021
- Marine Toilets Market Latest Innovations, Demand and Future Projections with top Major Key Player like Jabsco, Raritan Engineering, Reliance Products,... - April 27th, 2021
- Another sighting big cat in Blacon area of Chester - The Chester Standard - April 21st, 2021
- Column: Did Suez Canal Back-Up Have a N.C. Connection? - Southern Pines Pilot - April 19th, 2021
- Global Fresh and Naturally Fermented Birch Juice Market Size, Share, Value, and Competitive Landscape 2021 SoccerNurds - SoccerNurds - April 17th, 2021
- The story of the improbable micronation of Sealand - The Independent - April 15th, 2021
- Hannah Baiardi's new music comes "Straight From the Soul" - The Oakland Press - April 15th, 2021
- How to Get Rid of Ants, According to Experts - HouseBeautiful.com - April 15th, 2021
- Tree House brewery seeks final licenses to open in Sandwich by summer - Cape Cod Times - April 15th, 2021
- Ocean conditions, lost habitat drive salmon concerns | Opinion | thereflector.com - The Reflector - April 15th, 2021
- America's majority-minority confusion | TheHill - The Hill - April 15th, 2021
- Some Utah parents are protesting, but here's why Utah students will likely keep their masks on until summer - Salt Lake Tribune - April 15th, 2021
- One on One: A link between a North Carolinian and the Suez Canal back-up? - The Coastland Times - The Coastland Times - April 13th, 2021
- Global Weatherstrip Seal Market Trends, Growth Demand, Opportunities & Forecast to 2026 | Cooper Standard, Toyoda Gosei, Hutchinson, Henniges,... - April 13th, 2021
- Madison takes second in 17 team Rigby Invite | Sports | rexburgstandardjournal.com - Rexburg Standard Journal - April 13th, 2021
- Banks, ATM booths face cash withdrawal pressure ahead of lockdown - Dhaka Tribune - April 13th, 2021
- Biohacking Market Report (2021-2027) | The Demand For The Market Will Drastically Increase In The Future | Apple Inc, Behavioral Tech, Fitbit, Inc.,... - April 13th, 2021
- How to preserve, store those red gems - Effingham Herald - April 13th, 2021
- Unified healthcare specialists boost their sales and profits - The Irish News - April 13th, 2021
- Call for more powers to be handed to "environmental watchdogs" after eight-year planning saga - Cheshire Live - April 11th, 2021
- Nine-year battle ends with 142 homes to be built on Chester flood plain land - Cheshire Live - April 11th, 2021
- DoD will release document highlighting military needs in 5G, software and data this spring - Federal News Network - April 11th, 2021
- Purging your garage of garbage: Spring an ideal time to clean out unwanted items and organize the rest - Albuquerque Journal - April 11th, 2021
- Alliance hike to mark end of Earth Week events - The-review - April 11th, 2021
- List Of John Cena Movies And Upcoming Ventures Non-Related To WWE - SportzWiki - April 11th, 2021
- Cocktail of the week: Mr Ji's Compton Libre recipe - The Guardian - April 11th, 2021
- Jack Carr On The Devils Hand: I Was Researching About The Weaponization Of Infectious Diseases Before COVID Hit - CBS San Francisco - April 11th, 2021
- Theres so much more to Sonoma Countys Fort Ross than the Russian connection - San Francisco Chronicle - April 11th, 2021
- World's Top Fighters Join Kill Cliff and Get Biofuel to Create the Clean Energy Team - GlobeNewswire - April 11th, 2021
- Pearlfisher brand identity for Consider Pastures gives product 'pride of place' - Transform magazine - April 11th, 2021
- Key Trends and Opportunities in the Construction Industry in Qatar to 2025 - Industry Forecast to Recover by 2.8% in 2021 Following COVID-19... - April 4th, 2021
- Aldi's Earth Grown Brand Receives Good Housekeeping Seal - Progressive Grocer - April 4th, 2021
- Who Will Move the Stone? - Atlantic Highlands Herald - Atlantic Highlands Herald - April 4th, 2021
- Baldwin Park cannabis businesses owe the city $4 million in outstanding fees - The San Gabriel Valley Tribune - April 4th, 2021
- Bank transactions to be carried out from 10am to 12:30pm amid lockdown - Dhaka Tribune - April 4th, 2021
- UA Prof. Schaller: The Ever Given saga has been years in the making - Arizona Daily Star - April 4th, 2021
- 123 immigrants discovered inside trailer of driver who says he was not aware he was transporting people - CDLLife - April 4th, 2021
- Plantings near streams a way to improve fish habitat - Bainbridge Island Review - April 4th, 2021
- On her own, Grace McGill opts for renovation of a Katy home - Houston Chronicle - April 4th, 2021
- Seal spotted swimming in river - Kent Online - April 4th, 2021
- Dandy's commission largest Welsh flag in the UK to fly when Wales can welcome visitors after lockdown - LeaderLive - March 31st, 2021
- AIS inspections stations to be opened April 10 Sheridan Media - Sheridan Media - March 31st, 2021
- Updated status of interprovincial air, sea, land travel in Thailand as of April 1 - Pattaya Mail - March 31st, 2021
- 2021-'22 Kindergarten Registration Underway in North Haven - Zip06.com - March 31st, 2021
- Commentary: Ocean conditions, lost habitat drive salmon concerns - The Daily World - March 31st, 2021
- Here's what to do in an active shooter situation - NorthJersey.com - March 31st, 2021
- 'Largest Welsh flag in the UK' to welcome back visitors to Wales after 'terrible year' - North Wales Live - March 31st, 2021
- Shipping movements - March 25, 2021 - Times of Malta - March 31st, 2021
- Rep. Jimmy Panetta takes up the cause of the disappearing monarch butterfly. - Monterey County Weekly - March 31st, 2021
- Latest e-book explores evolution of fluid-applied waterproofing - Construction Specifier - The Construction Specifier - March 31st, 2021
- Beware of fake COVID-19 vaccines: Here's how to spot one - ABS-CBN News - March 31st, 2021
- 5 refreshing ways to perk up your patio for the season - Yahoo News - March 31st, 2021
- The Safety and Comfort of My Patients Are Paramount at the LA Vein Center. - Magazine of Santa Clarita - March 31st, 2021
- Gaining Momentum: Over One Billion Square Feet of Space Enrolls in WELL Health-Safety Rating - Business Wire - March 31st, 2021
- Seattle Thunderbirds secure 3-2 win over the Portland Winterhawks - DUBNetwork - March 31st, 2021
- Five of the best parks in Cumbria to meet up with friends - News & Star - March 31st, 2021
- Construction on bridges over I-43 at the Hillside Interchange set to begin - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - March 21st, 2021
- Now government health officials announce bubble and seal measures after October 1st - ThaiExaminer.com - March 21st, 2021
- How do you achieve a more eco-friendly propulsion system and minimise the footprint of your vessel? - Riviera Maritime Media - March 21st, 2021
- BJP candidates approach HC against rejection of nomination - Mathrubhumi English - March 21st, 2021
- Liberation endures forever - The Jewish Standard - March 21st, 2021
- Perseverance rover records sounds of driving on Mars Spaceflight Now - Spaceflight Now - March 21st, 2021
- EDITORIAL: Welcome everyone as if they are lost German tourists - Bangor Daily News - March 21st, 2021
- The Last Unknown Takes Viewers to Some of the Most Remote Islands on Earth - Gizmodo - March 21st, 2021
- Journey Through Fire and Ice: A tour of our carbon footprint, 23 miles above the Arctic Circle - Anchorage Press - March 21st, 2021