Keep Dallas Observer Free
Support the independent voice of Dallas and help keep the future of Dallas Observer free.
Imagine a dystopian world where the government has become increasingly immoral and art is the only form of escape. Seven brave individuals come together to form a band and rise up as vigilantes, making music that moves people and preserves the craft.At least, thats how one ofGreyspot Syndicate'smembers, Udon, imagines it.
Were all different the guys from the Cliff, he says.
The band members have known each other since they were kids. All Oak Cliff natives, Greyspot Syndicate consists of seven wildly entertaining characters who have one thing in common: no filter.
Were different, but were similar, too," Udon says. "All Dallas enough to hang with each other. But theres one thing that keeps us together and its that each one of us stands out in our own way. Shamelessly. Thats what we have in common.
And stand out they do. One of the most entertaining squads around, each member of Greyspot Syndicate is outrageously unique. (Extraordinarily, Udon says.)
Every member brings something strange and novel to performances, which sets them aside individually. This is where Udon got the idea for his story, a narrative hes converting into a manga or anime-style graphic novel.
Its been in my head for years no, centuries, he says.
The artist never considered himself a writer until he began making music.
Oddly enough, I write like a doctor," he says, "but its like all my creative strengths came from a sense of curiosity, like, I dont know how this is going to turn out. Almost like a mental freedom. A brief reprieve from it all.
The saga goes that seven rebels fall in each others paths and become intertwined through a common sense of wonder and expression. Most certainly, through a common sense of humor. Some of the funniest, weirdest guys in the game, theyll be sure to have you laughing while you sing along. At times they all wear suits for a performance, while in a series of music videos they take turns wrestling with someone in a panda suit. Greyspot Syndicate is full of surprises.
First is Udon, who sports a curled, handlebar mustache and speaks with an eerie, eloquent tone. Then theres Steez Ronin, the leader in the room, wild and outgoing onstage and off. Tyler, Blockparty, is the most silent character, serious and hardcore the last one to call himself an artist. Next is Durty Redd, the realist in the group and a smooth-talking baritone. Prince Ace is the lone wolf and poet. Hood Spaghetti is the natural trendsetter with an avant-garde style and sense of humor thats uncomfortable but somehow fitting. Last is J4 Mane, known for his antics. Each show, you can find J4 in some sort of strange getup.
I guess that kind of led into my idea of doing something different each show. ... Its more about standing out, as if our shows dont do that enough. J4 Mane
I had an idea to do some dumb shit, J4 Mane says. The suits kind of coincided with a fashion project we were working on, Designer Artillery, which was weapons made by clothing designers. Like, Balenciaga brass knuckles, a Burberry b staff, Ferragamo flame thrower.
Picturing the gang in designer artillery draws an image that could be straight from an anime manga. Perhaps Udons story is more relative than he thought.
I guess that kind of led into my idea of doing something different each show,"J4 continues. "Its more about standing out, as if our shows dont do that enough.
While each member of the Syndicate sticks out, J4s antics give him a kooky singularity. Hes shown up on stage in a motorcycle helmet, a top hat, a birthday hat and even performed an entire set blindfolded. And while the group has been making music for some time now, what inspired all the foolery is simple: boredom.
I mean, weve made music since we were young, J4 says. But we got bored and shit sounded good. So we started doing more performances and having fun with it.
Greyspot Syndicate has become more than a group of musical performers, but one of all-around artists. Like in Udons tale, this gang of misfits shares a passion for creating. In the world he illustrated in his story, where art has seemingly reached its pinnacle, the Syndicate continues to find new strengths in themselves both as a group and as individuals through music.
Were all head ass in our own ways, and seeing how the world responded to us as a unit as an entity was pretty fuckin nice, Udon says. Its strange how so much talent can arise in one syndicate. Iron sharpens iron.
Keep the Dallas Observer Free... Since we started the Dallas Observer, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Dallas, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Dallas with no paywalls.
Here is the original post:
- What Is A Singularity? - WorldAtlas - June 4th, 2021
- Singularity - NIH HPC Systems - June 4th, 2021
- 'Naked Singularity,' Thriller With John Boyega, Sells to ... - June 4th, 2021
- Singularity 6 Reveals First Game, Palia, a Genre-Defining ... - June 4th, 2021
- Singularity | Mass Effect Wiki | Fandom - June 4th, 2021
- Singularity 6 reveals friendly MMO community sim Palia as ... - June 4th, 2021
- Palia, New MMO Sim From Singularity 6, Revealed The ... - June 4th, 2021
- Singularity 6s Palia Is A Relaxing MMO - Game Informer - June 4th, 2021
- Quirk Singularity | My Hero Academia Wiki | Fandom - June 4th, 2021
- Singularity Tutorial - SDSC - June 4th, 2021
- SS&C Singularity - June 4th, 2021
- GeForce RTX 3070 Ti performance Leaks in Ashes of the Singularity - guru3d.com - June 4th, 2021
- RTX 3070 Ti Benchmark Results Leaked for Ashes of The Singularity and Geekbench - Tom's Hardware - June 4th, 2021
- Fate/Grand Order Final Singularity Release Date, Cast And Plot - What We Know So Far - Looper - June 4th, 2021
- Modis bulldozing of parliament shows him as the architect of a Hindu Taliban - The Guardian - June 4th, 2021
- Japan Wants to Build Intercontinental Passenger Spaceships by the Early 2040s - Singularity Hub - June 4th, 2021
- Singularity Is Relaunching the 'Singularity Radio' Podcast Network - Singularity Hub - May 20th, 2021
- Scientists Say Black Holes Might Lead to the Birth of New Universes - Interesting Engineering - May 20th, 2021
- Attack the Block sequel will have John Boyega return as Moses - SlashGear - May 20th, 2021
- Lotus to be celebrated at Goodwood Festival of Speed 2021 - AM - May 20th, 2021
- Ferguson: Nothing like a heated quarterback battle - CFL.ca - May 20th, 2021
- Can Darwinian Theory Explain the Rise and Fall of Businesses? - Walter Bradley Center for Natural and Artificial Intelligence - May 20th, 2021
- 8K TVs at everyday prices signal that theres far less reasons not to buy 8K - RedShark News - May 14th, 2021
- How One Round of Gene Therapy Fixed 48 Kids' Immune Systems - Singularity Hub - May 14th, 2021
- Review: The Woman in the Window is one of director Joe Wrights stinkers, even with Amy Adams as star - SF Chronicle Datebook - May 14th, 2021
- The US Just Approved Its First Big Offshore Wind Farm, and It's a Breakthrough for the Industry - Singularity Hub - May 14th, 2021
- SentinelOne Receives Highest Score for Type B Use Case in the Gartner 2021 Critical Capabilities for Endpoint Protection Platforms - StreetInsider.com - May 14th, 2021
- Watch a Jet Suit Pilot Fly Onto a Ship to Trial the Tech for Fighting Pirates - Singularity Hub - May 14th, 2021
- How AI could give us a four-day work week and shape the future of business - The CEO Magazine - May 14th, 2021
- SentinelOne is the Only Vendor to Score Highest Across All Three Gartner Critical Capabilities Use Cases - Business Wire - May 14th, 2021
- Intelligent enterprises and the importance of intellectual property - Express Computer - May 14th, 2021
- Richard Mille just revealed the most extreme watch its ever made - British GQ - May 14th, 2021
- Gravitational singularity - Wikipedia - May 9th, 2021
- Create an Image | Singularity - May 9th, 2021
- GitHub - hpcng/singularity: Singularity: Application ... - May 9th, 2021
- BTS: ARMY makes Vs Singularity top Billboard World Digital Song Sales chart on its third anniversary; V crea - Bollywood Life - May 9th, 2021
- BTS's Singularity Makes Them 1st Artist Ever To Achieve 28 No. 1s On Billboard World Digital Song Sales Chart - soompi - May 9th, 2021
- IBM's New Chip Technology Shows Off the Next Big Step in Moore's Law - Singularity Hub - May 9th, 2021
- The Infinite Rebirth of the Universe - The Great Courses Daily News - May 9th, 2021
- Here are the best Phantom skins in VALORANT - Dot Esports - May 9th, 2021
- Funding Roundup: Derivatives and Defi Draw a Fresh Influx of VC Firms and Private Investors Finance Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - May 9th, 2021
- Elon Musk Believes 1/10th of a Humans Body is 13.8 Billion Years Old - News18 - May 9th, 2021
- China fans of BTS' V raise $1.1 million in one hour for his birthday - The Straits Times - May 9th, 2021
- Massive Flare Seen Close to Our Solar System: What It Means for Chances of Alien Neighbors - Singularity Hub - May 9th, 2021
- Builder and Breaker - The American Prospect - May 9th, 2021
- Planet Earth Report Biological Fukushima Threatens the Planet to Mutation that Rewired the Human Mind - The Daily Galaxy --Great Discoveries Channel - May 9th, 2021
- Singularity | technology | Britannica - April 13th, 2021
- Anticipate a Return to Live With Singularitys Socially Distanced Pod Experience - The Nocturnal Times - April 13th, 2021
- Scientists Completed the First Human Trial of a Wireless High-Bandwidth Brain-Computer Interface - Singularity Hub - April 13th, 2021
- Soon, the internet will make its own cat photos and then it wont need us - The Verge - April 13th, 2021
- This Robot Taught Itself to Walk in a SimulationThen Went for a Stroll in Berkeley - Singularity Hub - April 13th, 2021
- GPT 3: Behind the Hype - Analytics India Magazine - April 13th, 2021
- Business unusual: wearable tech, touchless surfaces and office 'mud rooms' - MarketWatch - April 13th, 2021
- This Week's Awesome Tech Stories From Around the Web (Through April 10) - Singularity Hub - April 11th, 2021
- Professor of Particle Physics, University of Liverpool - Singularity Hub - April 11th, 2021
- 'Deep Nostalgia' Uses AI to Make Old Photos of Your Relatives Wink, Nod, Dance, and More - Singularity Hub - April 11th, 2021
- Scientists Found Hints of New Particles or Forces of Nature, and It Could Change Physics - Singularity Hub - April 11th, 2021
- MLB roster moves: The vanishing bench player - Call to the Pen - April 11th, 2021
- This Huge Hologram-Like 3D Display Is Made of Thousands of Tiny LED Lights - Singularity Hub - April 11th, 2021
- I want to help people overcome the biological desire for stability and co - The Jerusalem Post - April 11th, 2021
- Robotics Team Singularity qualifies virtually for the San Diego FTC Regional Championship - Rancho Santa Fe Review - April 9th, 2021
- There's a New Nirvana Song Out, and It Was Written by Google's AI - Singularity Hub - April 9th, 2021
- What are Black Holes: The Journey From Theory to Reality - ZME Science - April 9th, 2021
- Church mouse: Setting things aside in Minneola Lutheran Church - RiverTowns - April 9th, 2021
- Hear Black Holes and Galaxies Sing in These Captivating NASA 'Sonifications' - Singularity Hub - March 31st, 2021
- Fiber Optics Could Be the Key to Million-Qubit Quantum Computers - Singularity Hub - March 31st, 2021
- Keeton Coffman Releases First Single Wounded Heart From New Album Hard Times Due on June 18, 2021 - Grateful Web - March 31st, 2021
- corrugated concrete towers + verdant patios form student housing by a-001 in mexico - Designboom - March 31st, 2021
- Ask Us Anything: What would happen if you fell into a black hole? - Popular Science - March 31st, 2021
- French Architect Franoise Raynaud on Building in Manhattan and the Benefits of Imperfection - Mansion Global - March 31st, 2021
- As outdoor life resumes in China, now is the time to invest in DOOH | Advertising - Campaign Asia - March 31st, 2021
- Long-term goal is to set more stories in India: Anand Gandhi opens up on Hotstar series OK Computer - Firstpost - March 31st, 2021
- In 'Klara and the Sun,' We Glimpse an Eerie Future Through the Eyes of a Robot - Singularity Hub - March 25th, 2021
- The Tangle (2021) Movie Review | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - March 25th, 2021
- Planet Earth Report Strange Signal Hints at New Force of Nature to Life Beyond Human - The Daily Galaxy --Great Discoveries Channel - March 25th, 2021
- What Is A Singularity? - Universe Today - March 21st, 2021
- Singularity (2017) - IMDb - March 21st, 2021
- Planet Earth Report Forgotten Cold War Experiment is Bad News for the Planet to Darwins Aliens - The Daily Galaxy --Great Discoveries Channel - March 21st, 2021
- A sumptuous guide to the studios of 26 Maine artists, living and dead - pressherald.com - March 21st, 2021
- Cell to Singularity Evolution Never Ends - Digit - March 20th, 2021