If a single part of Grafite can be sure of immortality, it's his right heel.
Across a 17-year career, the Brazilian with the footwork of an assassin found numerous ways to hurt opponents, methods as spectacular as his trademark chipped finishes across the goalkeeper or as simple as a deft layoff to Edin Deko.
The subtlest and most devastating weapon in his arsenal will live longest in the memory, however, in the Puskas-nominated goal which saw Grafite's graceful waltz send four Bayern Munich players spinning while the back of his heel sent the ball pirouetting in the other direction.
To get us started with a heavy-handed metaphor, the brief but unforgettable contact of the ball with Grafite's heel encapsulates the fleeting fascination he had for European audiences in a career which seemingly flickered out as quickly as it exploded into life.
The result? He has become a player whose story can be all too easily condensed into the glories of a single season, or even worse, a single YouTube video.
Yet Edinaldo Batista Libnio is a player who has lived multiple footballing lives, and whose diverse, strange and trophy-laden CV is so much more than one two-minute video.
Al-Ittihad v Sao Paulo - FIFA Club World Championship Toyota Cup Semi Final
The man who grew up selling bin liners door-to-door in his hometown of So Paulo found glamour hard to come by in the early stages of his career, getting his professional start with fourth division Ferroviria.
After a breakthrough year with Santa Cruz, where the young Grafite couldn't stop the Recife club's relegation to Serie B, he struggled to grasp hold of the progression that was meant to follow, with frustrating stints with Gremio and FC Seoul following.
Even before his arrival in Germany, Grafite had to prove himself, and just like with Wolfsburg an unprecedented period of success followed.
Grafite, delantero del Sao Paulo de Bras
A successful return to Brazil with Gois led to Grafite's hometown club So Paulo recruiting the marksman, who returned the favour by helping them deliver the 2005 Copa Libertadores - Liverpool fans might remember his 15 minute cameo as the Tricolor shocked them in the 2005 Club World Cup final to cap off a glorious period in their history.
That year was a momentous one for Grafite, who had to contend with the contrasting emotions of a surprise Brazil call-up, which saw him score on debut against Guatemala, and then be at the centre of global headlines after Argentine defender Leandro Desbato was arrested under suspicion of racially abusing him in a match.
Perhaps both this affirmation of his talents and the vortex of controversy in which he found himself contributed to his 2006 move to Le Mans, where he came close to overhauling the legendary Pauleta in the Ligue 1 scoring charts in his first full season in Europe.
Le Mans's Brazilian forward Grafite jubi
He didn't stay for long in France, checking into Germany just in time for the most storied chapter in his career to begin.
Of all the coaches he could have been lumped with, Grafite must thank his lucky stars every day that his 2007 arrival in Lower Saxony saw him meet Felix Magath for the first time.
He might not have been so thankful at first, with the famed disciplinarian - known for the 'Mount Magath' hill which he loved to install at each of his sides' training grounds - causing his new signing to pass out during a particularly taxing pre-season run in the Swiss Alps.
RESTRICTIONS / EMBARGO - ONLINE CLIENTS
Once Grafite recovered a bit of puff, however, it were Bundesliga defenders who were hitting the floor.
Magath's charges had a promising first season together, but nobody could have anticipated the sequel, with Wolfsburg winning their first ever German top-flight title and doing it rather stylishly.
Grafite was front and centre as the Bundesliga's top goalscorer with an obscene 28 goals, forming a record-breaking 'Sturmduo' - what a brilliant word for a strike partnership - with Edin Dzeko. He contributed a total of 54 goals combined with Dzeko, outdoing the previous 53-goal record of a certain Gerd Mller and a certain UliHoene.
RESTRICTIONS / EMBARGO - ONLINE CLIENTS
With another hyper-talented Bosnian, Zvjezdan Misimovi, breaking another Bundesliga record with his 22 assists, Germany's next dynasty was ready for lift-off.
Until it wasn't.
Magath took advantage of an early exit clause in his contract to leave for Schalke, and with him the control he exercised over the club was gone.
While Grafite added to the increasing list of his extraordinary achievements by scoring a Champions League hat trick on debut, a rudderless Wolfsburg slipped to eighth.
Growing old, dogged by knee injuries and having struggled to reproduce his form of the previous season, a 32-year-old Grafite dutifully departed for Al Ahly.
Typically of a career where surprises were commonplace, the beginning of Grafite's decline also saw him achieve the career landmark of representing his country in a World Cup, albeit in a five minute cameo against Portugal.
Even in retirement mode, however, Grafite was determined to add to the narrative of his career.
Brazil's striker Grafite gets a hug from
Despite losing out to none other than Asamoah Gyan in the goalscoring stakes, Grafite was voted the UAE Pro League's International Player of the Season after blasting in 24 goals in 20 games.
After a short spell in Qatar, Grafite was set for a poignant final act in Brazil, where he righted the wrongs of his first spell at Santa Cruz.
Flown in by helicopter to a baying mob of fans, Grafite, now the highest-salaried player in the club's history, took them back to the Brazilian top-flight.
With the ageing Brazilian also instrumental in securing Copa do Nordeste and Campeonato Pernambucano glory in 2016, closure was finally possible in a career where he had needed to prove himself so many times.
After one last shot at the big time with Athletico Paranaense, Recife's prodigal son would end up retiring at Santa Cruz.
It was a quiet, humble ending for a player who had so emphatically announced his footballing gifts to the world in 2009, but with Grafite, who was important to so many more clubs than just Wolfsburg, it was a way of giving back.
Follow this link:
- The Old Guard's New Trailer Dives Into the Painful Side of Immortality - Gizmodo UK - July 6th, 2020
- Charlize Theron in The Old Guard on Netflix: Film Review - Variety - July 6th, 2020
- Doctor Who Theory: How Rassilon Fits Into The Timeless Child Retcon - Screen Rant - July 6th, 2020
- Its Negligence: Young People Hosting Coronavirus Parties, Betting On Who Gets Infected First - CBS Pittsburgh - July 6th, 2020
- Through a Blur of Migratory Birds, Photographer Sankar Sridhar Captures the Rituals of the Yamuna River - Colossal - July 6th, 2020
- Carli Lloyd: I Want Young Players To Be Inspired By My Journey - Forbes - July 6th, 2020
- Altered Carbon Season 3 : Release Date, Cast, Plot And Other News - Auto Freak - July 6th, 2020
- Madhya Pradeshs new cabinet shows that a slow Congressisation of the BJP is happening - ThePrint - July 6th, 2020
- Batman Beyond Just Brought The Future [SPOILER] Back To Life - Screen Rant - July 6th, 2020
- A battle to defend the soul of football: How Spain achieved immortality at the 2010 World Cup - The Independent - June 17th, 2020
- Dream Team missed date with immortality - The Herald - June 17th, 2020
- Virtual U.S. Open: Palmer, Boros and other challengers - Pro Golf Now - June 17th, 2020
- Health benefits of giloy juice and easy kadha recipes - Times of India - June 17th, 2020
- Where do you want Liverpool to win Premier League title and what do you predict will happen? - Liverpool Echo - June 17th, 2020
- Stephen King Has a Friday the 13th Book He Wants to Write About Jason Voorhees - MovieWeb - June 17th, 2020
- Star Wars Just Wiped Darth Plagueis Backstory From Continuity - We Got This Covered - June 17th, 2020
- Bravery in service of the US | Keizertimes | You think you know. To be sure, read Keizertimes. - Keizertimes - June 17th, 2020
- The Afterlife of George Floyd: A Portfolio by Photographer Eli Reed - The Cut - June 17th, 2020
- American Horror Story: Every Character Who Became The Supreme - Screen Rant - June 17th, 2020
- Why is the 2000s the PBA's forgotten decade? - ESPN - June 17th, 2020
- Guardian: The Lonely and Great God Season 2 What Is The Status Of Renewal? And Is It Cancelled? - Pop Culture Times - June 17th, 2020
- Bihar will get nothing from personal attack on me, focus on real issues: Tejashwi tells BJP, Nitish - Outlook India - June 13th, 2020
- Judd Apatow Tells How the Wallflowers One Headlight Came to Illuminate King of Staten Island: Its Personal - Variety - June 13th, 2020
- NOS4A2 Viewing Guide: What You Need to Know Going into Season 2 - Anglophenia - June 13th, 2020
- How racism revealed the fragility of an entire sport - Majorca Daily Bulletin - June 13th, 2020
- Book World: Those who built the bomb, those who used it and those who survived it - Alton Telegraph - June 13th, 2020
- Bahrain king pardons 16 jailed OFWs; 11 deported to PH - UNTV News - UNTV News - June 13th, 2020
- Netflix Said No to Streaming Tommy Wiseau's The Room - MovieWeb - June 13th, 2020
- Dinosaur toys and golf clubs: the strange things astronauts take to the moon - The Guardian - June 13th, 2020
- Copa America: Will 12-month delay enhance Messi and Argentina's chances of glory? - Yahoo! Voices - June 13th, 2020
- 10 Inspirational Quotes by Swami Vivekananda For a Life of Freedom And Tranquility - India.com - June 13th, 2020
- Does Thanos Have Superpowers (WITHOUT Infinity Stones)? - Screen Rant - June 13th, 2020
- Kansas City Chiefs Who Could Be Future Hall of Famers (Part 2) - Chiefs Digest - June 13th, 2020
- The Eternals When Can We Expect It In Theatres? What Leaks Are Coming And What Are New Updates? - Pop Culture Times - June 13th, 2020
- What Does It Mean to Tear Down a Statue? - The New York Times - June 13th, 2020
- Less than zero: how Pointlesss tweaked finale made fools of us all - The Guardian - May 25th, 2020
- Erling Braut Haaland is Robert Lewandowski's heir apparent we have been waiting for - The National - May 25th, 2020
- A zombie apocalypse, a surprise hook-up, and brutal deaths in the latest Legends of Tomorrow - SYFY WIRE - May 25th, 2020
- Star Wars Confirms DEATH Affects Sith and Jedi the Same - in One KEY Way - CBR - Comic Book Resources - May 25th, 2020
- They fought and died, and we remember - The Register-Guard - May 24th, 2020
- The last days of history - Part 13Sunday Magazine - Guardian - May 24th, 2020
- 'Henry tried every day to be the best' - Vela says Jordan's Last Dance documentary conjured memories of Arsenal icon - Goal.com - May 24th, 2020
- Elliott Mortuary to host events in Madisonville | Local News - The Messenger - May 24th, 2020
- Read this before you watch The Old Guard - Looper - May 24th, 2020
- 10 New Switch Titles Releasing This Week - SwitchWatch - May 24th, 2020
- From the archives: CSM wins first Nor Cal title - San Mateo Daily Journal - May 24th, 2020
- David Charters: Grumbling oil boiler offers thoughts of immortality - Liverpool Echo - April 11th, 2020
- Hope Is an Important Part of Judaism | Bob Ryan - The Times of Israel - April 11th, 2020
- Teen paperboy with vampire obsession ripped elderly woman's heart out and drank her blood to be immortal - MEAWW - April 11th, 2020
- Lactomeda: the future of humanity | Science - The Union Journal - April 11th, 2020
- Westworld Season 3 Has Almost the Same Plot as Captain America: The Winter Soldier - The Mary Sue - April 11th, 2020
- 21st Century Westerns: The Alamo - Cowboys and Indians - April 11th, 2020
- Last Witch Hunter 2: Vin Diesel Hints Script Is Being Worked On Now - Screen Rant - April 11th, 2020
- Remembering two members of the Marin music community - Marin Independent Journal - April 11th, 2020
- The Nike Adidas Puma Olympic Battle Will Have to Wait - Barron's - March 26th, 2020
- Christ Provides the Antidote to Fear Amid Coronavirus - National Catholic Register - March 26th, 2020
- The Vampire Diaries: The 10 Most Hated Storylines | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - March 26th, 2020
- Today's Gospel in Art - The Annunciation of the Lord - Independent Catholic News - March 26th, 2020
- Doctor Who: The Top 10 Tenth Doctor Episodes, Ranked According to IMDb - Screen Rant - March 26th, 2020
- 48 SECONDS FROM IMMORTALITY: The story of the 1990 Concord Minutemen - Goshen News - March 24th, 2020
- Ginkgo: The Tree of Immortality | NCPR News - North Country Public Radio - March 24th, 2020
- Boost your spirits with fun rom-coms - Boston Herald - March 24th, 2020
- Alex Salmond: from the brink of independence to a court room - FRANCE 24 - March 24th, 2020
- With only 4k miles, this 1982 Mercedes-Benz 300SD will outlive us all - Autoblog - March 24th, 2020
- We're as lonely as a cloud but the Romance isn't dead - The Guardian - March 24th, 2020
- How Altered Carbon: Resleeved Connects to Season 2 | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - March 24th, 2020
- In Times of Crisis, We Need To Inject Reason into Debates over Faith - The Libertarian Republic - March 24th, 2020
- Neutralize COVID-19 hysteria with faith and kindness toward neighbors - Washington Times - March 24th, 2020
- '80s Movie Quotes Every Kid From the '80s Knows By Heart - Best Life - March 24th, 2020
- Questioning the Shutdown | RR Reno - First Things - March 24th, 2020
- Liberty shackled and the future blighted: RIP Europe, 312 - 2020 - The Conservative Woman - March 24th, 2020
- Westworld series refresher, what you need to know before season 3 - Show Snob - March 24th, 2020
- Immortality by 2050: Humans very close to everlasting life - February 27th, 2020
- Sports Perseverance leads Tres Tinkle to cusp of Oregon State immortality Kyle Hansen 9:38 AM - KPAX-TV - February 27th, 2020
- Syracuse basketball has clinched immortality for the 2nd straight season - Inside the Loud House - February 27th, 2020
- Why Dodgers' Great Willie Davis Received a Grand Total of Zero Hall of Fame Votes - Sports Illustrated - February 27th, 2020
- Everything You Need to Know to Watch 'Altered Carbon' Season 2 on Netflix - Newsweek - February 27th, 2020
- Local News Mom spreads kindness to honor her young son who died in 2018 KMTV Staff - KMTV - 3 News Now - February 27th, 2020
- Alfred Jarry at the Morgan Library - Apollo Magazine - February 27th, 2020
- Features | Strange World Of... | The Strange World Of... Tom Smith/ To Live And Shave In LA - The Quietus - February 27th, 2020