NASSAU, BAHAMAS The government signed a Heads of Agreement today for a $64 million project to bring a new medical university to Grand Bahama.
Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis underscored the deal withWestern Atlantic University of Medicine to operate a University School of Medicine in Freeport, represents a significant investment with 150 jobs at peak construction and 200 permanent jobs.
The new university is projected to bring $200 million in revenue for the hurricane-ravaged island within the first decade of operation.
This major development will inject hundreds of millions of dollars into the local economy over time, and provide direct and indirect opportunities for scores of residents, Minnis said.
The development will include university-owned housing for faculty, staff and students on campus. It will also encompass: on-campus businesses, including a bookstore, cafeteria and a student center providing music, food, beverages, a copy center and related services.
Western Atlantic intends to build its own campus on land to be leased from the Public Hospitals Authority, according to a press statement issued by the Office of the Prime Minister.
A maximum of 50 acres will be leased in three tranches, based upon the Universitys satisfaction of certain deliverables.
The campus will be developed in multiple phases over the next 10 years. The first three phases represent an investment of $64 million dollars.
It will involve the construction of 98,000 square feet of classrooms, offices, lab facilities, maintenance, security and related spaces.
Construction will begin on the first phase by the end of this year.
During the construction phase, Western Atlantic has agreed to aim for an overall ratio of 80 percent Bahamian workers to 20 percent non-Bahamian workers.
Under the agreement, Western Atlantic will also work closely with the Government and local communities to develop training and professional development programs for Bahamians who want to work during the operation of the campus.
Approval to operate the campus will be contingent on the University obtaining accreditation from the Caribbean Accreditation Authority for Education in Medicine and other Health Professions (CAAM-HP), or an equivalent body.
Western Atlantic will also work toward receiving accreditation for its students to be able to practice medicine in the US, Canada and The Bahamas.
This development has the potential to attract global talent and build international connections, said Minnis.
It also represents another opportunity to diversify our economy.
Minnis pointed to signs of recovery progress on Grand Bahama, including the reopening of the Grand Lucayan hotel and Port Lucaya, the return of cruise ship visitors and the restoration of essential utilities.
We have a long road ahead of us for recovery and reconstruction, but we are making progress, said Minnis.
Todays signing is yet another indication of the progress we are making together.
Here is the original post:
- Bahamas PM Assesses Isaias Damage on US Coast Guard Aircraft - US Embassy in The Bahamas - August 3rd, 2020
- Montage To Open Luxury Resort On Private Island In Bahamas - Forbes - August 3rd, 2020
- Hurricane Isaias to impact Bahamas today and the US this weekend - CNN - August 3rd, 2020
- A New Private Island Resort Is Coming to the Bahamas - TravelPulse - August 3rd, 2020
- New tropical threat for Caribbean and Bahamas, heat wave continues for East Coast - ABC News - August 3rd, 2020
- Everything you need to know if you have plans to travel to the Bahamas - MSN Money - August 3rd, 2020
- A COMIC'S VIEW: Stupid is as stupid does in The Bahamas - Bahamas Tribune - August 3rd, 2020
- Grand Bahama residents in 20 communities advised to evacuate - Bahamas Tribune - August 3rd, 2020
- Traveling to The Bahamas: What You Need to Know - Caribbean Journal - July 21st, 2020
- Bahamas to Ban International Travel Amid COVID Concerns - Voice of America - July 21st, 2020
- US Navy Destroyer Rescues Yacht Off the Coast of the Bahamas - The Maritime Executive - July 21st, 2020
- From The Bahamas to Turks and Caicos, 7 Private Islands You Can Visit - Caribbean Journal - July 21st, 2020
- Secret royal living in the Bahamas EXPOSED - New Idea - July 21st, 2020
- 'Renovation Island': Here's How Much It Costs to Stay at the Baeumler Family's Luxury Bahamas Beach Resort - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - July 21st, 2020
- What to know before heading to the Bahamas - Boston Herald - July 15th, 2020
- Government of The Bahamas - Ministry of Health Testing Protocol for Incoming Visitors - PRNewswire - July 15th, 2020
- Defense Force increases presence in southern Bahamas - EyeWitness News - July 15th, 2020
- Top 10 Islands in the Caribbean and the Bahamas - KCTV Kansas City - July 15th, 2020
- Bahamas urged to re-examine 'citizen investors' - Bahamas Tribune - July 15th, 2020
- Time to stop this unjust destruction of Bahamas family life - Bahamas Tribune - July 15th, 2020
- Two new COVID-19 cases in Grand Bahama - EyeWitness News - July 15th, 2020
- Wife of The Bahamas Prime Minister Supports Sewing Classes in Over-the-Hill Community - Magnetic Media - July 15th, 2020
- Bahamas latest island to require negative COVID test for entry - Travelweek - July 15th, 2020
- Three new cases of COVID-19 on Grand Bahama - Bahamas Tribune - July 15th, 2020
- Art Dealer Inigo Philbrick Will Be Kept In US Custody After His Fiances Familys Bahamas Real Estate Was Rejected as Bail Collateral - artnet News - July 15th, 2020
- Police probe reports that officers shot several dogs - Bahamas Tribune - July 15th, 2020
- UK heatwave map: Scorching Atlantic plume to bake Britain hotter than Bahamas - Express.co.uk - July 15th, 2020
- Trudeau's past ethics transgressions hurt the Liberals. Will it happen again? - CBC.ca - July 15th, 2020
- 47th Independence Celebration, A Display of Innovation and Creativity - The Eleutheran - July 15th, 2020
- About 70 animals rescued from Bahamas, brought to Indian River County - TCPalm - June 17th, 2020
- Bahamas Ministry of Tourism & Aviation Prepares For Phase 1 Reopening June 15 - PRNewswire - June 17th, 2020
- Unraveling The Mysterious Death of Sir Harry Oakes in the Bahamas - dujour.com - June 17th, 2020
- Op-Ed: It's better in The Bahamas - EyeWitness News - June 17th, 2020
- Jamaica and Bahamas officially reopen for tourists, nationals Here's what to expect - Face2Face Africa - June 17th, 2020
- Bahamas Oil and Gas Market Outlook to 2023-Strategic Analysis, Insights, Forecasts and Opportunities in Bahamas - Cole of Duty - June 17th, 2020
- No negative test, no entry: Doctors weigh in on reopening Phase 2 - EyeWitness News - June 17th, 2020
- Atlantis to start phased reopening July 7 EyeWitness News - EyeWitness News - June 17th, 2020
- Johnson: Missed WTO targets not the focus - EyeWitness News - June 17th, 2020
- INSIGHT: It's only a matter of time before we pay the price for our shameful silence - Bahamas Tribune - June 17th, 2020
- All the Caribbean countries that are currently open for tourism - Time Out - June 17th, 2020
- EDITORIAL: Leave no island behind - Bahamas Tribune - June 17th, 2020
- 'Meals on Wheels' programme rolls on with bank's support - EyeWitness News - June 17th, 2020
- Bahamas becomes the jurisdiction of wealthy Forex brokers - Forex News Now - June 17th, 2020
- People seem to kill at the drop of a hat - Bahamas Tribune - June 17th, 2020
- Govt. looking to mandate the use of masks in public spaces - EyeWitness News - June 17th, 2020
- RBC unveils second phase of COVID-19 relief - EyeWitness News - June 17th, 2020
- BUT: Some teachers return to school what now? - EyeWitness News - June 17th, 2020
- Bahamas Announces Borders Reopening to Travelers on July 1 - TravelPulse - June 1st, 2020
- Breaking: SC of The Bahamas to Implement Massive Regulatory Changes - Finance Magnates - June 1st, 2020
- Where I played: The Abaco Club is Bahamas golf (and living) at its best - Golf.com - June 1st, 2020
- Joy Jibrilu: From Working with Lenny Kravitz to Virtual Visits, the Creative Ways the Bahamas Director of Tourism is Keeping the Region Top of Mind... - June 1st, 2020
- Sailing vloggers defend isolation in Bahamian waters - EyeWitness News - June 1st, 2020
- BPC sets new date for oil exploration in The Bahamas - EyeWitness News - June 1st, 2020
- PHASE 3: Churches, gaming houses, and some island beaches open - EyeWitness News - June 1st, 2020
- Bahamas Petroleum Company highlights strong financial position as it awaits Perseverance exploration well - Proactive Investors UK - June 1st, 2020
- RBDF probing reports of couple isolating on uninhabited island - EyeWitness News - June 1st, 2020
- Small Cap Movers: Bahamas Petroleum rockets after scheduling start of exploration well - Proactive Investors UK - June 1st, 2020
- MOFA marks anniversary of Turin deaths, investigations still ongoing - EyeWitness News - June 1st, 2020
- Government to appeal historic Bahamian court ruling on citizenship - NYCaribNews - May 29th, 2020
- Severe weather warning for Central and Northwest Bahamas - EyeWitness News - May 29th, 2020
- Caribbean community organizations call for decisive action to end homophobic abuse and cyberbullying - UNAIDS - May 29th, 2020
- Commodore: Border patrol strategies expected to cont. to deter illegal landings - EyeWitness News - May 29th, 2020
- Battered Caribbean prepares for hurricanes amid pandemic - The Republic - May 29th, 2020
- Fiscal deficit projected to climb to $1.3 billion EyeWitness News - EyeWitness News - May 29th, 2020
- U.S. will not repatriate citizens still in The Bahamas - EyeWitness News - April 11th, 2020
- Cutler is waiting out the outbreak in The Bahamas - NBCSports.com - April 11th, 2020
- First Coast couple locked down in their boat home in the Bahamas - FirstCoastNews.com WTLV-WJXX - April 11th, 2020
- Spring break during the coronavirus pandemic: 'It's the opposite of the Bahamas' - Reading Eagle - April 11th, 2020
- Govt gives cash to help Bahamians stuck in US - Bahamas Tribune - April 11th, 2020
- Bahamas credit bureau still a work in progress - EyeWitness News - April 11th, 2020
- Bahamas Embassy informs seized medical supplies released with help from US Embassy - Magnetic Media - April 11th, 2020
- Niki & Gabi Are Taking Over the Bahamas in New AwesomenessTV Series - Celeb Secrets - April 11th, 2020
- 100000 Students in The Bahamas served with virtual Education; Minister's remarks - Magnetic Media - April 11th, 2020
- Another case, another death for The Bahamas on Thursday, reports Health Minister - Magnetic Media - April 11th, 2020
- Corrections commiss. satisfied with COVID-19 protocols to safeguard inmates and officers - EyeWitness News - April 11th, 2020
- US citizens urged to leave now - EyeWitness News - March 31st, 2020
- Carmelo Anthony: LeBron James saved my life during trip to Bahamas - syracuse.com - March 31st, 2020
- Caribbean Moment: A Perfect Sandbar in The Bahamas - Caribbean Journal - March 31st, 2020
- Luxury bunkers and private islands how the rich are self-isolating from the coronavirus - CNBC - March 31st, 2020
- New case of COVID-19 in Grand Bahama - Bahamas Tribune - March 31st, 2020