By BRENT STUBBS
Senior Sports Reporter
THE inclement weather forced the Bahamas Golf Federation to call off yesterdays first day of competition in the Bahamas Golf Federations (BGF) 2021 RF Bank & Trust National Amateur Golf Championships at the Albany Golf Course.
But first vice president Anthony Hinsey said with three days left, they will still be in a position to complete the tournament and crown their new men and womens champions this Fathers Day weekend.
With yesterdays action washed out with Albany under water, the golfers will head over to the Ocean Golf Club on Paradise Island where the next two days of competition are slated to take place today and Saturday.
The championships are scheduled to wrap up on Fathers Day on Sunday at the Royal Blue Golf Course at Baha Mar.
We had to cancel round one and its now a three-day event, Hinsey said. Once we play more than 64 holes we are good. We normally play 72 holes in four days, so it will only be three days now.
There are a total of 70 golfers participating, including close to 20 from Grand Bahama. With the tournament last played in 2019, Paul Tsavoussis and Jenna Bayles are still the defending champions.
At the last Nationals two years ago, Tsavoussis pulled off a three shot victory over Richard Gibson Jr. Nadario Ferguson got third.
On the ladies side, Bayles captured the title over Ashley Michel. Amarie Smith finished third.
Bayles, by the way, showed that shes in great form as she and Zion Taylor clinched the girls and boys respective BGF junior national titles at the Ocean Club.
I think the other two golf courses are more favourable for the local golfers, Hinsey said.
They play those two courses more frequently than they do at Albany. So were expecting some very low scores tomorrow and Saturday. Sunday will be moving day because its the final round. With about 17-20 competitors from Grand Bahama, Hinsey said the competition will once again be fierce because of the keen rivalry with the golfers from New Providence.
Tee time today and Saturday is scheduled for about 10am.
On Sunday, its expected that they will start around 7am to allow the golfers to spend some time with their families on Fathers Day.
Players in this years tournament are vying for spots on the mens and womens national teams that will represent the Bahamas at the Caribbean Amateur Golf Championships (CAGC) in Puerto Rico August 8-12.
This year, however, because of the COVID-19 restrictions, only six players, consisting of four men and two women, will get to represent the Bahamas as they play for the respective Hoerman Cup (for men) and George Teale Trophy (for women).
Lynford Miller is the president of the BGF.
- $350 Million Expansion Planned for Grand Bahama Shipyard - The Maritime Executive - July 18th, 2021
- From the Bahamas to the NBA Finals, Deandre Ayton shouldered the load - Yardbarker - July 18th, 2021
- Kenya Moore Impresses Fans With Video From The Bahamas - Celebrity Insider - July 18th, 2021
- 6-Banner Sunday: CJ Gunn suffers injury and another non-conference opponent is revealed - Inside the Hall - July 18th, 2021
- KEEPING OPTIONS OPEN: Vaccine committee hasn't decided on mixing vaccines but will explore all suggestions - EyeWitness News - July 18th, 2021
- Andros in The Bahamas - The Largest Island in The Bahamas - July 14th, 2021
- Celebrity chefs are flocking to the Bahamas - Page Six - July 14th, 2021
- Flight to Bahamas Delayed Over Face Mask Dispute - WebMD - July 14th, 2021
- Suns star Deandre Ayton has huge impact back home in the Bahamas - AZFamily - July 14th, 2021
- Outer Banks Season 2: The Pogues Take The Bahamas in Explosive New Trailer - TVLine - July 14th, 2021
- An American Airlines flight to the Bahamas had to be canceled after a group of unruly teenagers refused to wear masks - Yahoo News - July 14th, 2021
- Op-Ed: The Bahamas' independence everyday men and women on a mission - EyeWitness News - July 14th, 2021
- Buddy Hield on trade rumors, offseason workouts, growing basketball in the Bahamas - Yahoo Sports - July 14th, 2021
- Talking the Tropics With Mike: Weak upper trough of low pressure from the Bahamas to Florida - WOKV - July 14th, 2021
- Roy Seligman Wants to Win Big for the Bahamas in the Scripps National Spelling Bee in Orlando, And Then (Like All Spelling and Super Bowl Winners)... - July 14th, 2021
- NBA Finals: How Suns Deandre Ayton and former player Mychal Thompson share special bond as native Bahamians - USA TODAY - July 14th, 2021
- NACAC: Bahamas finishes third overall - Bahamas Tribune - July 14th, 2021
- DOWN BUT NOT OUT: Virus cases drop 8% even with increased testing but positivity rate still high - EyeWitness News - July 14th, 2021
- BLINK OF AN EYE: End of emergency orders right around the corner; just over 4 weeks left - EyeWitness News - July 14th, 2021
- William Shatner is a natural explorer, says Josh Gates on Expedition Unknown: Shark Trek - The Hindu - July 14th, 2021
- Ask Carolyn: July 9, 2021 - The Rhino Times of Greensboro - The Rhino TImes - July 14th, 2021
- Can Deandre Ayton become Bahamas Prime Minister? The Current PM Thinks He Might - EssentiallySports - July 14th, 2021
- 'WE ARE HOPEFUL': Family and friends hoping for a miracle to find missing 28-year-old - EyeWitness News - July 14th, 2021
- The Bahamas : a success story with Kaisa Pace - Superyacht News - The Superyacht Report - June 23rd, 2021
- Tourism Is Rebounding in The Bahamas Caribbean Journal - Caribbean Journal - June 23rd, 2021
- US Helps Keep Bahamas Safe: Donates $5.9 Million in Boats, Comms Equipment to RBDF - US Embassy in The Bahamas - June 23rd, 2021
- TESTD Announces Agreement With Paradise Healthcare To Manage COVID Testing In The Bahamas - Yahoo Finance - June 23rd, 2021
- Controversial way to save The Bahamas - Bahamas Tribune - June 23rd, 2021
- Industry forum to be held on Bahamas Airports PPP Program - EyeWitness News - June 23rd, 2021
- CONSTANT THREAT: Microbiologist notes Delta COVID strain could already be impacting The Bahamas - EyeWitness News - June 23rd, 2021
- Zondra TV Expands Network to Nassau, Bahamas with Producer of The Whole Woman Show - Digital Journal - June 23rd, 2021
- Bahamas Government invites interested parties to attend airports PPP information event | CAPA - CAPA - Centre for Aviation - June 23rd, 2021
- ORG Bahamas Foundation launches youth activist initiative Eye Witness News - EyeWitness News - June 23rd, 2021
- TO THE PRIVY COUNCIL WE GO: Govt to appeal historic citizenship ruling - EyeWitness News - June 23rd, 2021
- ENTREPRENEUR BOOM: Bahamas sees near 60 percent increase in SMEs between 2017 and 2020 - EyeWitness News - June 23rd, 2021
- GUARD YOUR HEARTAND YOUR WALLET: RBPF warns of romance scams - EyeWitness News - June 23rd, 2021
- MAKE IT EASIER: Thompson says govt looking to streamline process of opening a business - EyeWitness News - June 23rd, 2021
- Pinder: Govt ought to be cautious with vaccination day to avoid negative fallout - EyeWitness News - June 23rd, 2021
- PARTY ON: PM drops restrictions on social gatherings for fully vaccinated - EyeWitness News - June 23rd, 2021
- RAV Bahamas and another v Therapy Beach Club Incorporated (Bahamas): Judicial Committee of the Privy Council Rules on Substantial Injustice... - June 20th, 2021
- BMOTA outlines increased flights to The Bahamas amid tourism upswing - EyeWitness News - June 20th, 2021
- Designer India Hicks shares the stylish secrets of Harbour Island in The Bahamas - LivingEtc - June 20th, 2021
- ARRIVALS CLIMBING HIGHER: Bahamas sees over 300K visitors in first five months of 2021 - EyeWitness News - June 20th, 2021
- Equinor progress on Grand Bahama oil spill - Bahamas Tribune - June 20th, 2021
- UK weather: England to be 'hotter than Bahamas' ahead of four days of thunderstorms - The Mirror - June 20th, 2021
- Revisiting structure of our taxation - Bahamas Tribune - June 20th, 2021
- 'Ball is in their court' over Bimini's airport - Bahamas Tribune - June 20th, 2021
- OFFICIAL LAUNCH: Bahamian crowdfunding platform and stock exchange to go live early next month - EyeWitness News - June 20th, 2021
- Ministry of Health gets an estimated $300M in budget for healthcare - EyeWitness News - June 20th, 2021
- POLICE ARE YOUR FRIENDS: RBPF partner with Ministry and Health and church for a day of give-backs - EyeWitness News - June 20th, 2021
- Flamingos Women's Golf Club to host their first tournament on Saturday - Bahamas Tribune - June 20th, 2021
- HERO PAY: $640000 to be paid to 143 frontline healthcare workers - EyeWitness News - June 20th, 2021
- Adventure of the Seas Live Blog - Day 6 - Sea Day - Royal Caribbean Blog - June 20th, 2021
- Best things to do with kids in the Bahamas - Lonely Planet Travel News - June 11th, 2021
- IDB highlights international good practices and lessons in post disaster reconstruction in The Bahamas - EyeWitness News - June 11th, 2021
- We Took a Bahamas Yacht Trip to See Swimming Pigs and the 'Thunderball Grotto' - Maxim - June 11th, 2021
- Lewis says Bahamas Games will return in 2023 Eye Witness News - EyeWitness News - June 11th, 2021
- NOT THERE YET: Forbes says The Bahamas remains in third wave, despite positive signs - EyeWitness News - June 11th, 2021
- 6-Banner Sunday: Indiana set for Bahamas trip and recruiting heats up this month - Inside the Hall - June 11th, 2021
- USMNT Fans No Longer Have To Sleep With One Eye Open; Trinidad Has Been Slain - The18 - June 11th, 2021
- Published in[UPDATE] Trinidad and Tobago knocked out World Cup qualifying by Bahamas - TT Newsday - June 11th, 2021
- SpaceX Drone Ship Travels to the Bahamas Before Flying to California - Tech Times - June 11th, 2021
- A long journey - but University of the Bahamas graduates reach their commencement - Bahamas Tribune - June 11th, 2021
- Royal Caribbean Cruise Ship to Begin Cruises from Nassau This Weekend! - Cruise Hive - June 11th, 2021
- MIND YOUR TONE: Human Rights group accuses Government of threatening the rule of law - EyeWitness News - June 11th, 2021
- Bahamas relay teams hit the track - Bahamas Tribune - June 11th, 2021
- $2bn pension liability 'blows everything up' - Bahamas Tribune - June 11th, 2021
- London weather: Exactly when London will be hotter than Mexico, the Bahamas and Ibiza - My London - June 11th, 2021
- Report: Daniel Levy and Joe Lewis meet in the Bahamas ahead of managerial appointment - The Spurs Web - June 11th, 2021
- With NHL expansion draft next month, Wild's Matt Dumba considering trip to Bahamas, not Seattle - Grand Forks Herald - June 11th, 2021
- Freeport in $200m boost to Treasury - Bahamas Tribune - June 11th, 2021
- Do you need a visa to go to the Bahamas - Lonely Planet Travel News - June 2nd, 2021
- [Sports] - Report: BYU headed to Bahamas in 2022 for Battle 4 Atlantis - Salt Lake Tribune - June 2nd, 2021
- Seventh edition of Tour de Grand Bahama was a blast - Bahamas Tribune - June 2nd, 2021
- VACCINATION PROGRESS: More than 8600 fully vaccinated individuals in The Bahamas; over 46000 awaiting second dose - EyeWitness News - June 2nd, 2021
- Accelerate Bahamas budget reveals sizable allocation increases across the board - EyeWitness News - June 2nd, 2021
- GETTING READY: National census to begin rollout this summer after months-long delays due to COVID - EyeWitness News - June 2nd, 2021
- Debates are critical to participatory governance and strengthening of democracy, notes ORG - EyeWitness News - June 2nd, 2021
- Govt's Job Ready programme on GB closes with 72 participants - EyeWitness News - June 2nd, 2021
- Caribbean Business - Business Formation In The Bahamas Vs The US: The Caribbean Shines - Caribbean and Latin America Daily News - News Americas - May 16th, 2021