This weeks price movements for bitcoin, gold, the S&P 500, and this weeks wildcard stock Canopy Growth Corporation, with bonus Airbnb.
Bitcoin (BTC) has mostly been trading sideways, but compared to last week, it has overall been bearish. Last weeks bull run saw BTCs price jump from around $51,500 on March 26 to nearly $60,000 on March 31. However, on April 1, it began channeling between $58,000 and just below $60,000.
On April 3, the price fell to $57,000, which it struggled to overcome the next day before falling back to that level on April 5. Later that day, though, the price bounced back up above $59,000. Persistent selling pressure then took it back down to $56,000 by April 7. Bitcoin is currently trading just below $58,000.
Despite this short-term volatility, bitcoin is still in an overall uptrend, according to Fairlead Strategies analyst Katie Stockton.
In our reports, weve highlighted a short- and intermediate-term neutral view for both bitcoin and ethereum (ETH), within the context of their long-term trends, she said. So, if we were a long-term holder wed certainly sit with these coins.
Gold had a rollercoaster ride last week, which ended on an upswing. That trend continued this week.
On April 1, gold continued trading up before rising to $1,730 by the end of the day. It reached nearly $1,735, where it stalled going into the weekend. Gold channeled mostly between $1,730 and $1,720 when markets reopened on April 5.
Meanwhile, April 6 began with buying pressure that largely continued into the afternoon, rising to $1,745. Gold floated down to $1,735 by the end of April 7. But buying pressure early in the day pushed golds price up to $1,755, where it is currently trading.
This is the highest gold has been trading for over a month, as the dollar and U.S. yields dropped and the Federal Reserves reaffirmation of its dovish policy stance also lifted its appeal.
Bob Haberkorn, senior market strategist, RJO Futures, said:
The dollar and U.S. yields are coming off, and thats the key catalyst right now. A pretty unimpressive jobs number is also helping push gold higher.
Haberkorn further added:
And the fact that were above $1,750, which is a key technical level, shows that gold has some legs to continue higher.
The S&P 500 (SPX) reached a new all-time high last week, rising above the $4,000 threshold for the first time. This pushed on to $4,020 on April 1. On April 5, the price had gapped up even further, pushing past $4,080 by the end of the day.
It seemed to have met resistance at this point, trading at this level for the next two days. However, on April 8, it began trading up again, reaching $4,095, where it is currently trading.
One reason the S&P 500 eked out another record closing high was minutes from the Federal Reserves March meeting. The minutes mentioned policymakers commitment to accommodative monetary policy to support a full economic recovery while showing concerns about the job markets recovery.
Mike Loewengart, managing director of investment strategy at E-Trade Financial, wrote:
With the tick up in jobless claims this week, were back up to the elevated levels we saw to kick off the year.
This weeks wildcard stock is Canopy Growth Corporation. Over the past few months, the stock of the Canadian cannabis company had traded largely like a cryptocurrency.
After seeing increased momentum towards the end of last year, it exploded in the new year, reaching an all-time high by mid-February. However, like the crypto markets, it tumbled down towards the end of the month.
Although unassociated with cryptocurrencies, the marijuana industry is also a relative newcomer to financial markets.
Although the stock has struggled in the past month, some good news is on the horizon. The company announced this week that it would be acquiring Toronto-based Supreme Cannabis Co. Inc. in a stock and cash deal valued at about $345.6 million. As marijuana becomes increasingly legalized across States in America, this consolidation could CGC meet that exploding demand.
This weeks bonus stock in Airbnb (ABNB). ABNB had its IPO on Dec. 10, 2020. Despite occurring in the midst of a global pandemic, the house-sharing platform popular with tourists has fared well coming into the new year.
The stock saw healthy buying pressure in the first month of the year. This continued to its peak, once again in mid-February, of $219.88. As a new stock, it has seen a lot of volatility, but its overall bullish trend now appears to be trading sideways, as another spike in mid-March failed to clear the previous all-time high. It is currently trading around $182.
See original here:
Gold, Stocks, and Bitcoin: Weekly Overview April 8 - Yahoo Finance
- Bitcoin vs. Ethereum: 10 experts told us which asset they'd rather hold, and why - Markets Insider - May 9th, 2021
- Bitcoin (BTC USD) Cryptocurrency Price: Bank of England Warns of Full Losses - Bloomberg - May 9th, 2021
- SEC Chairman Gary Gensler says more investor protections are needed for bitcoin and crypto markets - CNBC - May 9th, 2021
- Forget Bitcoin: Here are The Crypto Assets To Follow - Yahoo Finance - May 9th, 2021
- Should you invest in Bitcoin or Ether? - The National - May 9th, 2021
- Downtown Josh Brown on bitcoin and wealth management - The Block Crypto - May 9th, 2021
- Mark Cuban: The 3 ways Ethereum 'dwarfs' bitcoin - CNBC - May 9th, 2021
- Metromile Will Embrace Bitcoin For Insurance Premium And Claim Payments - Forbes - May 9th, 2021
- FBI: Knoxville man paid hitman in Bitcoin to kill his wife - WATE 6 On Your Side - May 9th, 2021
- S&P Dow Jones brings bitcoin, ethereum to Wall St with cryptocurrency indexes - Reuters - May 9th, 2021
- Bitcoin Association releases 2020 annual report highlighting work and achievements advancing Bitcoin SV - GlobeNewswire - May 9th, 2021
- S&P Dow Jones brings bitcoin, ethereum to Wall St with cryptocurrency indexes - Yahoo Finance - May 4th, 2021
- 3 reasons why Bitcoin is on shaky ground after failing to retake $60K - Cointelegraph - May 4th, 2021
- Bitcoin (BTC) Attempts to Create Higher Low After Rejection - Yahoo Finance - May 4th, 2021
- Bitcoin Association releases 2020 annual report highlighting work and achievements advancing Bitcoin SV - WFMZ Allentown - May 4th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Clamor: Paying Employees in Bitcoin Has Reached the Mainstream - JD Supra - May 4th, 2021
- More Than 1600 Participate In Mays Innovation Research Center Bitcoin Conference - Texas A&M Today - Texas A&M University Today - May 4th, 2021
- Bitcoin Rebounds After Hitting Lowest Level Since March - Yahoo Finance - May 3rd, 2021
- Bitcoin Crypto Dominance Declines as Ether Soars Past $3,000 - Bloomberg - May 3rd, 2021
- If You Bought $1,000 Worth of Bitcoin a Year Ago, Here's How Much You'd Have Today - The Motley Fool - May 3rd, 2021
- Charlie Munger 'hates' bitcoin's rise: 'disgusting and contrary to interests of civilization' - MarketWatch - May 3rd, 2021
- Will Bitcoin replace gold as the ultimate store of wealth? - ABC News - May 3rd, 2021
- Leak Reveals Millions Of PayPal And Robinhood Bitcoin Buyers May Soon Want To Make A Surprising Switch Amid Bitcoin Price Mania - Forbes - May 3rd, 2021
- Digital currency ether hits a record high, stealing bitcoin's limelight - CNBC - May 3rd, 2021
- Bitcoin Crash vs. Correction: Do You Know the Difference? - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 3rd, 2021
- Why Care About Bitcoin? Here's One Philosopher's Take - CoinDesk - May 3rd, 2021
- Bitcoin Is Number One Pick Asset Manager Confident BTC Will Take Him 'to the Top' in Stock Draft Competition Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - May 3rd, 2021
- Bitcoin Taproot Upgrade Has Started Its Speedy Trial - CoinDesk - May 3rd, 2021
- Feds arrest founder of bitcoin mixer they say laundered $335 million over ten years - The Verge - May 3rd, 2021
- Bitcoin Illuminates Inflation In The Fog - Bitcoin Magazine - May 3rd, 2021
- Tesla Reports Record Earnings, With More Than A Bit Of Help From Bitcoin - NPR - May 3rd, 2021
- UBS Chief Economist Says 'Bitcoin Is Denied to Minority Groups Who Have Reduced Online Access' News Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - May 3rd, 2021
- Ether Should Outperform Bitcoin Over the Long Run, Says JPMorgan - Yahoo Finance - May 3rd, 2021
- 19 Stocks With Exposure to Bitcoin - Barron's - May 3rd, 2021
- Mila Kunis warned Ashton Kutcher against investing in Uber and Bitcoin - Insider - May 3rd, 2021
- Over $200 billion wiped off cryptocurrency market in a day as bitcoin plunges below $50,000 - CNBC - April 23rd, 2021
- Bitcoin drops below $50,000, dented in part by rising U.S. tax worries - MarketWatch - April 23rd, 2021
- Behind Bitcoins Recent Slide: Imploding Bets and Forced Liquidations - The Wall Street Journal - April 23rd, 2021
- Bitcoin bears are stalking crypto prices --- here's how low they could go - MarketWatch - April 23rd, 2021
- Bitcoin is at its lowest level in nearly a month. 2 experts explain why they see more weakness ahead. - Markets Insider - April 23rd, 2021
- First Mideast Bitcoin ETF Aims to Raise More Than $200 Million - Bloomberg - April 23rd, 2021
- Why Bitcoin Is Making Its Way onto the Balance Sheet - ETF Trends - April 23rd, 2021
- Women Step Up Trading in Bitcoin, Other Cryptocurrencies - The Wall Street Journal - April 23rd, 2021
- Here's where you can shop with Bitcoin and other crypto - Yahoo Money - April 23rd, 2021
- Why is ethereum on a tear of late, outperforming bitcoin? - Mint - April 23rd, 2021
- Bitcoin Association appoints new ambassadors for Japan and the South Pacific to advance Bitcoin SV - PRNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- Dogecoin Falls Below 20 Cents, Bitcoin Below $50K Amid Wide Sell-Off, But These Two Cryptos Are On A Run Today - Benzinga - April 23rd, 2021
- UK to explore issuing its own digital currency amid bitcoin boom - CNBC - April 23rd, 2021
- Bill Gates betting on total collapse of Bitcoin as cryptocurrency slumps: Analysts - Republic TV - April 23rd, 2021
- JPMorgan warns of bitcoin weakness as futures get liquidated - Economic Times - April 23rd, 2021
- Bitcoin rally this year is the start of going mainstream, not a bubble, says investor Bill Miller - CNBC - April 21st, 2021
- After a wild weekend, bitcoin could take a breather before the next move higher - CNBC - April 21st, 2021
- Bitcoin's sell-off by the numbers: Oppenheimer puts the latest drop into perspective - CNBC - April 21st, 2021
- During Bitcoins Latest Price Crash, Tether Premium Shows Where Money Went - Yahoo Finance - April 21st, 2021
- Bitcoins nosedive: What happened and whats ahead? - Fox Business - April 21st, 2021
- Mark Cuban says bitcoin is far from its market top: 'The opportunity for it to go much higher certainly exists' - CNBC - April 21st, 2021
- Visualizing the Power Consumption of Bitcoin Mining - Visualcapitalist - Visual Capitalist - April 21st, 2021
- Fund managers think bitcoin is in a bubble, but not equities - Mint - April 21st, 2021
- We're closer to a bitcoin ETF, 'but were not all the way there yet,' market analyst says - CNBC - April 21st, 2021
- Do You Need a Crypto Wallet to Store Your Bitcoin? - Motley Fool - April 21st, 2021
- Bitcoin Plunges, Taking Other Cryptocurrencies With It - Yahoo Finance - April 21st, 2021
- Avoid Overvalued Coinbase: Buy These 10 Best Crypto, Bitcoin Stocks Instead - Yahoo Finance - April 21st, 2021
- Bitcoin ETF From 3iQ and CoinShares, Canadas 4th, Begins Trading on TSX - Yahoo Finance - April 21st, 2021
- Federal Reserve Bank President Says Bitcoin Is Clearly a Store of Value Regulation Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - April 21st, 2021
- FinanceFactbox: Bitcoin's march to the mainstream gathers pace - Reuters - April 21st, 2021
- GameStop and Bitcoin Renewed a Push to Digitize the Stock Market - The Wall Street Journal - April 9th, 2021
- Bitcoin exchange Kraken considers going public after record trading volumes in the first quarter - CNBC - April 9th, 2021
- At $60,000, Is Bitcoin Too Expensive? - Motley Fool - April 9th, 2021
- 'We've reached a tipping point' on bitcoin adoption, Fidelity's Tom Jessop says - MarketWatch - April 9th, 2021
- This Financial Advisor Thinks Bitcoin Could Be Headed for Mass Adoption - Motley Fool - April 9th, 2021
- Is there a future for bitcoin? An investor and a skeptic debate - The Verge - April 9th, 2021
- Fidelity Says Bitcoin Adoption Will Keep Accelerating 'We've Reached a Tipping Point' Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - April 9th, 2021
- The IRS wants to know all about your Bitcoin holdings --- and this court summons is a reminder - MarketWatch - April 9th, 2021
- BIGtoken to Host Webinar on Thursday, April 15, 2021 to Discuss Bitcoin 2021 and Beyond - Business Wire - April 9th, 2021
- Kevin OLeary says he will only buy bitcoin mined with clean energy, and none mined in China - CNBC - April 9th, 2021
- Ripple Granted Access to SEC Documents on Bitcoin, Ether in Ongoing XRP Fight - Yahoo Finance - April 9th, 2021
- Why the Market is Thinking About Bitcoin Differently - Visual Capitalist - April 9th, 2021
- Texas A&M Mays Innovation Research Center To Host Bitcoin Conference April 16-17 - Texas A&M University Today - April 9th, 2021
- Economist Says Bitcoin Isn't Too Big to Fail Warns BTC Can Only Establish Itself if Governments Allow It Regulation - Bitcoin News - April 9th, 2021
- More companies are accepting bitcoin, including PayPal and Xbox - Business Insider - April 9th, 2021