NASSAU, BAHAMAS Despite the mammoth task of conducting the countrys census, Acting Financial Secretary Marlon Johnson said yesterday that the government will be able to complete the 2021 Census of the Population and Housing, indicating the process will officially begin mid-summer.
Speaking to Eyewitness News on the matter, Johnson explained that the initial part of the census process will be a listing exercise, where personnel will go around to various communities and update addresses and locations in a database.
He noted that the listing exercise will serve to validate where individuals live and provide them with the option to be able to do their census forms themselves online, over the phone, via Zoom or opt for an in-person interview.
That enables us to roll out the census taking itself digitally given where we are with the COVID virus, Johnson said.
In February 2020, the Ministry of Finance announced 40 workers had started pre-test training with the questions that will be included in the new census.
At the time, officials said the official Census Pre-Test would be launched on New Providence and Grand Bahama in March ahead of the official country-wide census in September. Costs were projected to cost around $5 million.
However, The Bahamas recorded its first case of COVID-19 on March 15 and continues to fluctuate between lockdowns and restrictions.
Johnson noted: It really would not have been advisable or even practical to have people going into the field and to go into peoples home during the pandemic The team did some consultation and we looked to see how we can get it done in a way that is sensitive to the pandemic and starts us to move ahead to taking it online.
He said this listing exercise will take place over the next two to three months and by mid-to-late summer, the census rollout is expected to begin.
Johnson said they hope to have the census substantially done before the end of the year.
It is something that this team does every decade, so they know very much what they are doing, he assured.
Theres a full-time program where additional staff are employed and engaged. They will get it done in a matter of months.
Last week, the Department of Statistics swore in some 70 personnel who will assist in gathering information for the department. Twenty personnel will gather information on Grand Bahama.
The census listers will get residents names, phone numbers and e-mail addresses for the census to be done virtually for the first time in Bahamian history.
The census listers were sworn in and each signed a legally binding oath of secrecy at the departments offices.
- IU basketball announces start times for August games in the Bahamas - The Daily Hoosier - August 2nd, 2021
- WSU Womens Basketball headed to the Bahamas - CougCenter - August 2nd, 2021
- Diving in: Miller-Uibo will run 200, may defend 400 title - Associated Press - August 2nd, 2021
- The Pogues Might Be Going to the Bahamas, but Outer Banks Season 2 Wasn't Filmed There - POPSUGAR - August 2nd, 2021
- NC State womens hoops is headed to the Bahamas for Thanksgiving - Backing The Pack - August 2nd, 2021
- 6-Banner Sunday: Crossroads Classic coming to an end after 11 years - Inside the Hall - August 2nd, 2021
- Miami Added as Embarkation Port For Bahamas Cruises - Cruise Radio - August 2nd, 2021
- Bahamas steam locomotive to visit Plymouth this Sunday - RailAdvent - Railway News - August 2nd, 2021
- INFESTATION: Sanitation incinerating insect-infested wood offloaded in GB - EyeWitness News - August 2nd, 2021
- BTC teams up with the Broadcasting Corporation to bring the Tokyo Olympic Games free to all viewers across The Bahamas - EyeWitness News - August 2nd, 2021
- The Club Med Resorts of the Caribbean, Explained - Caribbean Journal - August 2nd, 2021
- NOT VACCINATED: 98 percent of COVID-19 hospitilzation and deaths were not vaccinated, remaining only had one jab - EyeWitness News - August 2nd, 2021
- HORRIFYING: Environmentalists concerned whether tree-killing beetle onboard ship let loose on GB - EyeWitness News - August 2nd, 2021
- Royal Caribbean shortens time window to get Covid-19 test before cruises from The Bahamas - Royal Caribbean Blog - July 25th, 2021
- Increased testing needed as The Bahamas sees rise in virus cases - EyeWitness News - July 25th, 2021
- Talking the Tropics With Mike: Low pressure east of Florida, north of the Bahamas - WOKV - July 25th, 2021
- Kyle Busch Spends NASCAR Break Twerking in the Bahamas - Heavy.com - July 25th, 2021
- Bahamas maintains heightened presence in southeast amid unrest in Haiti, Cuba - EyeWitness News - July 25th, 2021
- LOCK AND KEY: Wide sweeping restrictions reintroduced on New Providence, Grand Bahama and Eleuthera - EyeWitness News - July 25th, 2021
- Here Are The Carnival Ships Returning in September and October - Cruise Industry News - July 25th, 2021
- No evidence of delta variant in The Bahamas - Bahamas Tribune - July 25th, 2021
- THEY'RE HERE: Alpha and iota coronavirus variants confirmed in The Bahamas - EyeWitness News - July 25th, 2021
- 45596 Bahamas steaming through Newbury - Newbury Today - July 25th, 2021
- The Bahamas steam locomotive scheduled to pass through Thanet today - The Isle of Thanet News - July 25th, 2021
- Deadly coral disease sweeping Caribbean linked to wastewater from ships - The Guardian - July 25th, 2021
- Two delegates selected to represent The Bahamas at 2021 National Youth Science Camp - EyeWitness News - July 25th, 2021
- Photos and video: Kentish Belle hauled by steam loco Bahamas passes through Thanet - The Isle of Thanet News - July 25th, 2021
- Five St. Aug alumni taking part in Tokyo Olympic Games - HBCU Gameday - July 25th, 2021
- TDC works with OAS and CHTA to build small tourism enterprise resilience - EyeWitness News - July 25th, 2021
- When and where you can watch the Wildcats in Tokyo - LEX18 Lexington KY News - July 25th, 2021
- IT'S A NO GO: New vaccination appointments halted for remainder of the week - EyeWitness News - July 25th, 2021
- $350 Million Expansion Planned for Grand Bahama Shipyard - The Maritime Executive - July 18th, 2021
- From the Bahamas to the NBA Finals, Deandre Ayton shouldered the load - Yardbarker - July 18th, 2021
- Kenya Moore Impresses Fans With Video From The Bahamas - Celebrity Insider - July 18th, 2021
- 6-Banner Sunday: CJ Gunn suffers injury and another non-conference opponent is revealed - Inside the Hall - July 18th, 2021
- KEEPING OPTIONS OPEN: Vaccine committee hasn't decided on mixing vaccines but will explore all suggestions - EyeWitness News - July 18th, 2021
- Andros in The Bahamas - The Largest Island in The Bahamas - July 14th, 2021
- Celebrity chefs are flocking to the Bahamas - Page Six - July 14th, 2021
- Flight to Bahamas Delayed Over Face Mask Dispute - WebMD - July 14th, 2021
- Suns star Deandre Ayton has huge impact back home in the Bahamas - AZFamily - July 14th, 2021
- Outer Banks Season 2: The Pogues Take The Bahamas in Explosive New Trailer - TVLine - July 14th, 2021
- An American Airlines flight to the Bahamas had to be canceled after a group of unruly teenagers refused to wear masks - Yahoo News - July 14th, 2021
- Op-Ed: The Bahamas' independence everyday men and women on a mission - EyeWitness News - July 14th, 2021
- Buddy Hield on trade rumors, offseason workouts, growing basketball in the Bahamas - Yahoo Sports - July 14th, 2021
- Talking the Tropics With Mike: Weak upper trough of low pressure from the Bahamas to Florida - WOKV - July 14th, 2021
- Roy Seligman Wants to Win Big for the Bahamas in the Scripps National Spelling Bee in Orlando, And Then (Like All Spelling and Super Bowl Winners)... - July 14th, 2021
- NBA Finals: How Suns Deandre Ayton and former player Mychal Thompson share special bond as native Bahamians - USA TODAY - July 14th, 2021
- NACAC: Bahamas finishes third overall - Bahamas Tribune - July 14th, 2021
- DOWN BUT NOT OUT: Virus cases drop 8% even with increased testing but positivity rate still high - EyeWitness News - July 14th, 2021
- BLINK OF AN EYE: End of emergency orders right around the corner; just over 4 weeks left - EyeWitness News - July 14th, 2021
- William Shatner is a natural explorer, says Josh Gates on Expedition Unknown: Shark Trek - The Hindu - July 14th, 2021
- Ask Carolyn: July 9, 2021 - The Rhino Times of Greensboro - The Rhino TImes - July 14th, 2021
- Can Deandre Ayton become Bahamas Prime Minister? The Current PM Thinks He Might - EssentiallySports - July 14th, 2021
- 'WE ARE HOPEFUL': Family and friends hoping for a miracle to find missing 28-year-old - EyeWitness News - July 14th, 2021
- The Bahamas : a success story with Kaisa Pace - Superyacht News - The Superyacht Report - June 23rd, 2021
- Tourism Is Rebounding in The Bahamas Caribbean Journal - Caribbean Journal - June 23rd, 2021
- US Helps Keep Bahamas Safe: Donates $5.9 Million in Boats, Comms Equipment to RBDF - US Embassy in The Bahamas - June 23rd, 2021
- TESTD Announces Agreement With Paradise Healthcare To Manage COVID Testing In The Bahamas - Yahoo Finance - June 23rd, 2021
- Controversial way to save The Bahamas - Bahamas Tribune - June 23rd, 2021
- Industry forum to be held on Bahamas Airports PPP Program - EyeWitness News - June 23rd, 2021
- CONSTANT THREAT: Microbiologist notes Delta COVID strain could already be impacting The Bahamas - EyeWitness News - June 23rd, 2021
- Zondra TV Expands Network to Nassau, Bahamas with Producer of The Whole Woman Show - Digital Journal - June 23rd, 2021
- Bahamas Government invites interested parties to attend airports PPP information event | CAPA - CAPA - Centre for Aviation - June 23rd, 2021
- ORG Bahamas Foundation launches youth activist initiative Eye Witness News - EyeWitness News - June 23rd, 2021
- TO THE PRIVY COUNCIL WE GO: Govt to appeal historic citizenship ruling - EyeWitness News - June 23rd, 2021
- ENTREPRENEUR BOOM: Bahamas sees near 60 percent increase in SMEs between 2017 and 2020 - EyeWitness News - June 23rd, 2021
- GUARD YOUR HEARTAND YOUR WALLET: RBPF warns of romance scams - EyeWitness News - June 23rd, 2021
- MAKE IT EASIER: Thompson says govt looking to streamline process of opening a business - EyeWitness News - June 23rd, 2021
- Pinder: Govt ought to be cautious with vaccination day to avoid negative fallout - EyeWitness News - June 23rd, 2021
- PARTY ON: PM drops restrictions on social gatherings for fully vaccinated - EyeWitness News - June 23rd, 2021
- RAV Bahamas and another v Therapy Beach Club Incorporated (Bahamas): Judicial Committee of the Privy Council Rules on Substantial Injustice... - June 20th, 2021
- BMOTA outlines increased flights to The Bahamas amid tourism upswing - EyeWitness News - June 20th, 2021
- Designer India Hicks shares the stylish secrets of Harbour Island in The Bahamas - LivingEtc - June 20th, 2021
- ARRIVALS CLIMBING HIGHER: Bahamas sees over 300K visitors in first five months of 2021 - EyeWitness News - June 20th, 2021
- Equinor progress on Grand Bahama oil spill - Bahamas Tribune - June 20th, 2021
- UK weather: England to be 'hotter than Bahamas' ahead of four days of thunderstorms - The Mirror - June 20th, 2021
- Golf nationals called off due to bad weather - Bahamas Tribune - June 20th, 2021
- Revisiting structure of our taxation - Bahamas Tribune - June 20th, 2021
- 'Ball is in their court' over Bimini's airport - Bahamas Tribune - June 20th, 2021
- OFFICIAL LAUNCH: Bahamian crowdfunding platform and stock exchange to go live early next month - EyeWitness News - June 20th, 2021