Figuring out the right TMS for your business typically boils down to your vendors data structure, which affects every facet of the software. One way to know whether the TMS will work for your needs is to look at its accounts receivable capabilities (AR). This is where the data structure really comes to light.
Whats so important about AR?
Think of an AR record as a sell-side load. While a load is essentially an intermediate point between an order and a carrier freight bill on the buy-side, an AR record is the intermediary between an order and a customer invoice. Both buy-side and sell-side charges are allocated back to the order. An AR record is the primary entity against which sell-side rating occurs for the purpose of invoicing customers.
The flexibility with which a TMS allows you to create and manage AR records drives how fast, easily and accurately you get paid. But the truth is that many TMS AR record parameters wont match up with the realities of your business, so taking a hard look at them will quickly give you an idea of whether youre considering the right TMS.
Precise rating and billing by order, shipment or load
Determine exactly how not just whether the TMS enables you to rate and invoice in multiple ways. For any given load and client, your TMS should be able to create an AR record at the order level, shipment level or load level.
The existence of the sell-side load allows you the flexibility to consolidate multiple clients on a load while still billing each client independently at the load, shipment or order level.
Lets say you have a load originating out of Dallas and it has four different stops:
At Stop #1, you have to bill two different divisions within the same company. At Stop #3, theres an order for a different customer entirely. Some orders will need to be billed separately to different parties, and so require different ARs.
A TMS should allow you to bill several different ways in this situation: If you choose ordered-based invoicing, you will have six AR records (one for each of your six orders associated with the load). If your TMS allows for shipment-based invoicing, you will still receive six ARs because the bill-to location and/or client are different on some of the orders so they will be split into their own AR records. For load-based ARs, you would receive three ARs: One for each combination of client and bill-to location.
Rating and allocation
Once an AR is created, the next step is rating and allocation. AR records can be rated in multiple ways:
Once rated, the AR records charges are allocated back to the order associated with it. The allocation process is used to support both the buy and sell-side rating processes. It determines how the calculated buy/sell charges should be allocated to and from the orders associated with the ARs, and therefore determines a loads profitability and margin. A TMS should give you multiple options for allocations and run them automatically as needed, such as when a load cost changes or order charges change.
By giving you several allocation options including capabilities for determining shared savings for any customer programs a TMS gives you maximum power in determining the real-time profitability of your loads and flexibility in how you invoice. This is critical to managing the logistics of todays transportation industry and taking advantage of more complex (but profitable) distribution methods, including pool distribution.
The capabilities of a TMS matter little if you cant bill your customers according to the realities of your business. By examining the AR capabilities of a TMS, you can determine not only what the software is capable of but how it will help you solve your challenges efficiently and profitably.
Dawn Salvucci-Favier is responsible for product lifecycle and strategy management and brings more than 22 years of transportation management industry knowledge to 3GTMS. Dawn joined 3GTMS from RedPrairie where she was senior vice president and general manager for RedPrairie On-Demand, and was most recently vice president of global strategy developing the companys global go-to-market strategy for their transportation management solution. Prior to RedPrairie, Dawn was president & COO at Shippers Commonwealth Llc, where she had full P&L management responsibilities for the $6 million, value-added service provider of logistics solutions. She was previously at JDA where her roles included vice president of transportation and logistics solutions; and Manugistcs Inc. Dawn brings extensive 3PL and shipper experience having directed logistics services for NFI Interactive Logistics, and working within the transportation management function at Staples, Inc. and TJ Maxx/The Marmaxx Group.
- TMS individual race tickets officially on sale - Speedway Digest - January 18th, 2020
- MGR songs stay fresh even today thanks to TMS - News Today - January 18th, 2020
- Global Supply Chain Management Software Market 2020-2024 | 11% CAGR Projection Over the Next Five Years | Technavio - Yahoo Finance - January 18th, 2020
- The Masked Singers Davina McCall Reveals Upcoming Surprises On The Show! [VIDEO] - Talent Recap - January 18th, 2020
- The Morning Show and life after #MeToo - The Hindu - January 18th, 2020
- Trimble to Acquire Kuebix in effort to create a transportation logistics ecosystem - The Trucker - January 18th, 2020
- Psychiatrist to shutter outpatient practice - The Grand Junction Daily Sentinel - December 13th, 2019
- Toys for Tots Greenbrook TMS Therapy Black Cat 2 1 - Connecting Vets - December 13th, 2019
- Transformer Monitoring Systems Market Analysis of Market Future Trends and Technological Improvements 2024 - The Market Expedition - December 13th, 2019
- When Should You Buy EDAP TMS S.A. (NASDAQ:EDAP)? - Simply Wall St - December 13th, 2019
- How junk food shapes the developing teenage brain - The Conversation CA - December 13th, 2019
- Bidvest Waltons delivers on its promise after subscribing to Picup's TMS solution - Intelligent CIO Africa - November 30th, 2019
- TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market Report by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application Forecast 2019 - 2025 - Statsflash - November 30th, 2019
- Pokmon: 10 Mechanics Introduced In Gen I That Are Missing Today - TheGamer - November 30th, 2019
- Wizz Air Selects Fox as their TMS of Choice - AviationPros.com - November 26th, 2019
- Pokmon Sword and Shield TMs: locations list for where to find every TM in Galar - Eurogamer.net - November 26th, 2019
- Overhauling the Pokemon GO TM System | Pokemon GO Wiki - GamePress - November 26th, 2019
- Pokemon Sword & Shield: All TMs & Where to Find Them - Twinfinite - November 26th, 2019
- Global Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market 2019 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - Breakaway Trends - November 26th, 2019
- Massive Growth in Talent Management Software Market Opportunities and Forecast, 2019-2024 - Market Report Gazette - November 26th, 2019
- Global Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market 2019 by Industry Volume, Share, Trends, Opportunities, Types, Product Analysis, Applications and... - November 26th, 2019
- Pokmon Sword and Shield guide: Where to find and buy TMs - Polygon - November 23rd, 2019
- Behind The Scenes With Laurence Fishburne Discusses TMS Treatments For Depression - PR Web - November 23rd, 2019
- A Big Thanks for all the Positive School Programs - NewportNow - November 23rd, 2019
- Pokemon Sword and Shield - Where to Buy TMs - Attack of the Fanboy - November 23rd, 2019
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Thankful for community support at Thompson - newportri.com - November 23rd, 2019
- Talent Management Software (TMS) Market 2019- Global Industry Analysis, By Key Players, Segmentation, Application, Demand And Forecast By 2024 - Hitz... - November 23rd, 2019
- Live Entertainment and Events in Texarkana November 22nd ~ 23rd - TXK Today - November 23rd, 2019
- TMS Lady Wildcats take fifth in Murfreesboro | Local Sports - Tullahoma News and Guardian - September 18th, 2019
- A TMS partnership that spells sweet success - DC Velocity - September 18th, 2019
- Trimble Debuts Continued Enhancements to its TMW.Suite, TruckMate and Innovative IES TMS Solutions New Products and Services - DC Velocity - September 18th, 2019
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) Neuronavigation Systems Market Insights Analysis 2018-2026 - Rapid News Network - September 18th, 2019
- Convoy adds API access to its network for shippers - FreightWaves - September 18th, 2019
- Specialized haul drivers at TMS Delivery Inc. given special acknowledgment for National Truck Driver Week - Tyler Morning Telegraph - September 18th, 2019
- ORANGEBURG PROPERTY TRANSFERS | Local | thetandd.com - The Times and Democrat - September 18th, 2019
- Kuebix Community Load Match Saves Shippers Money on Truckload Rates While Increasing Business for Brokers and Digital Freight Matching Firms -... - September 18th, 2019
- Mitsubishi teases new PHEV SUV concept for TMS - Paul Tan's Automotive News - September 18th, 2019
- Pokemon GO Shiny Trapinch code found as Mewtwo raids cancelled - SlashGear - September 18th, 2019
- Momentum Continue?::Greenbrook Tms Inc, (TSX (Toronto):GTMS) - Times Of New York - September 18th, 2019
- MercuryGate Names Traci Kellner as Chief People Officer - Business Wire - September 18th, 2019
- Kuebix Community Load Match saves shippers money on truckload rates - American Journal of Transportation - September 18th, 2019
- Midweek interview with TMS Talent's Ed Hewitt - Travel Weekly - September 18th, 2019
- TMS for USA 3PL market Overview, Development & Growth Rate Forecast for Next 5 Years - Market News Everyday - September 18th, 2019
- Right Time To Pull The Trigger ::Greenbrook Tms Inc, (TSX (Toronto):GTMS) - Times Of New York - September 18th, 2019
- Edap Tms (NASDAQ:EDAP) Downgraded to Hold at ValuEngine - TechNewsObserver - September 18th, 2019
- EDAP TMS SA (EDAP) Jumped Up 2.0%, But Why? - Merakhaber News - September 18th, 2019
- Landmark TMS Provider - Achieve TMS - Opening in Claremont, CA - PR Newswire (press release) - August 25th, 2017
- EDAP TMS to Present at the 19th Annual Rodman & Renshaw Global Investment Conference - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 25th, 2017
- EDAP TMS Reports Record Second Quarter and First Half 2017 Results - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 25th, 2017
- What is the Schaff Indicator Suggesting For Edap Tms SA (EDAP)? - Morgan Research - August 25th, 2017
- Like most families, Test Match Special has had some bitter rows - Telegraph.co.uk - August 25th, 2017
- TMW Adds Real-Time Freight Tracking to TMS Solutions - TopNews ... - Heavy Duty Trucking - August 20th, 2017
- TMS To Host Solar Eclipse Watch Party on World's Largest TV - Speedway Digest (press release) (blog) - August 20th, 2017
- Investors Focusing the Lens on Shares of EDAP TMS SA (NASDAQ:EDAP) - Nelson Research - August 20th, 2017
- 3GTMS partners with project44 - Fleet Owner - August 18th, 2017
- EDAP TMS (EDAP) & PhotoMedex (PHMD) Head to Head Survey - The Cerbat Gem - August 16th, 2017
- What's Behind Edap Tms SA (EDAP)'s Movement - Stock Daily Review - August 16th, 2017
- Can This Stock Gain Any Traction: EDAP TMS SA (NASDAQ:EDAP)? - FLBC News - August 14th, 2017
- Schools preparing for opening day - The Daily Planet - August 14th, 2017
- NeoSync Secures $13M in Financing to Fund Treatment Resistant Depression Technology Trial - Scientific Computing - August 14th, 2017
- TMS Wildcats blast Coffee County 38-0 - Tullahoma News and Guardian - August 13th, 2017
- TMW Systems appoints new senior director, product management - Fleet Owner - August 11th, 2017
- What are Technical Machines in Pokmon GO (TMs)? - Tech Advisor - August 11th, 2017
- Targeted Microwave Solutions Inc. (TMS.V) Sees Technical Signals Building - Evergreen Caller - August 10th, 2017
- Child missionaries take center stage at TMS | Tvilletimes | hpenews ... - Tvilletimes - August 10th, 2017
- Edap Tms SA (EDAP) Share Price Heads Below Balance Step - FLBC News - August 10th, 2017
- When medication fails, this helmet can treat depression - Metro US - August 9th, 2017
- GDC Theatre Management System is number one in India | Film ... - Film Journal - August 9th, 2017
- Edap Tms (NASDAQ:EDAP) Given Daily Media Sentiment Rating of -0.03 - The Cerbat Gem - August 9th, 2017
- Volume Moving the Tape For Targeted Microwave Solutions Inc. (TMS.V) - Clayton News - August 8th, 2017
- What Do The Technicals Boil Down To For Edap Tms SA (EDAP ... - JCTY News - August 8th, 2017
- Is EDAP TMS SA (NASDAQ:EDAP) The Right Stock For Heady Investors? - FLBC News - August 6th, 2017
- Edap Tms (NASDAQ:EDAP) and PhotoMedex (PHMD) Head to Head Analysis - BNB Daily (blog) - August 6th, 2017
- Changes for TMS with new school year - Tallmadge Express - August 6th, 2017
- Edap Tms SA (EDAP) Moves Below Ichimoku Cloud - Evergreen Caller - August 6th, 2017
- Chris Waters: Boycott wind-up the latest in long line of classic TMS moments - Yorkshire Post - August 5th, 2017
- Investors Swarm in on EDAP TMS S.A. (NASDAQ:EDAP) Shares ... - FLBC News - August 5th, 2017
- TMS Global leader's move adds to ranks of African Americans serving in international cross-cultural missions - The South Florida Times - August 4th, 2017
- Lee County, Tupelo students return for new school year - Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal - August 4th, 2017
- MercuryGate Announces Addition of Rockfarm to its Logistics Integrator Program; Innovative Offering Empowers ... - Business Wire (press release) - August 3rd, 2017