Gareth Evans new action-drama series Gangs of London has landed on Sky Atlantic but its not the first time the The Raid director has been associated with all-out, highly-choreographed action vehicle.
In an exclusive interview with Yahoo Movies UK, Evans has spoken candidly about the DC Comics Deathstroke movie he was attached to direct back in 2017, and why it hasnt materialised.
I was actually quite enthused and excited about [Deathstroke] back in the day, when it was first pitched to me. I met with them, and talked to them about it, and was certainly attached to it at a certain point, Evans tells Yahoo.
Magic Mike star Joe Manganiello was introduced as supervillain Deathstroke in the post-credits sequence of 2017s Justice League. Arriving on Lex Luthors yacht after the events of the movie, the masked villain is asked by Jesse Eisenbergs bald baddie to set up their own an anti-Justice League team.
The scene appeared to be setting up the masked merc (real name Slade Wilson) and his own league of villains to appear in the upcoming DC extended universe, which at the time included the Ben Affleck-starring Batman solo movie.
However, with that version of the extended DC universe now not happening, with Robert Pattinson recast as Batman and Matt Reeves taking over to direct The Batman for a slated 2021 release, it appears that Joe Manganiello probably wont be cast as the villain anymore either.
I've spoken to Joe Manganiello, who was attached to star as Deathstroke, Evans tells us. I spoke to him a while back, and we both lamented the fact that it didn't happen. But yeah, I don't really have much more than that, in terms of anything lately on it.
Read more: Eisenberg keen for Lex Luthor return
The plan was, I wanted to tell something that would be a lean story, that would be kind of an origin of that character. Something that felt like it could be 100 minutes or 110 minutes long, max not to go over the two hour period with it, says Evans.
Actor Joe Manganiello attends The Hollywood Reporter's annual 35 Most Powerful People in Media event at The Pool on Thursday, April 12, 2018, in New York. (Photo by Evan Agostini/Invision/AP)
The heightened, highly stylised take on London in Gareth Evans Gangs of London Evans removed major landmarks from the London skyline, for example offers a hint at the world design that might have existed in his take on Deathstroke.
Back then, I was massively influenced by the noir films coming out of South Korea, so that was my pitch. I was like, these films are amazing: the texture, and the tones of colours, the grit and the aggression of them is super interesting to use to tell Deathstroke's story.
Despite not getting far in the project, Evans did research which Deathstroke comic book arcs he would want to use for the big screen origin story.
I'll be the first one to admit it, I'm not a massive comic book or superhero fan, but something about Deathstroke interested me. I did some reading into it not enough to make real hardcore fanboys happy but I tried my best to consume as much as I could in the time that I was on it, for a bit, Evans tells us.
Director Gareth Evans attends "Meet The Filmmakers" at Apple Store Soho on March 17, 2014 in New York City. (Photo by D Dipasupil/FilmMagic)
When I read up on it, there were about three different versions of how his character originated, explains Evans, And so I thought we could do something quite Shakespearean, in terms of how he loses his eye, and how he gets created as the character that he is.
Of course, wed also expect tightly choreographed, Indonesian-inspired martial-arts fight scenes, as Evans currently exhibits in Gangs of London and became known for with his seminal martial arts movies The Raid, The Raid 2 and Menantau.
Read more: Gareth Evans talks Gangs of London
We had ideas of the kind of style that we would have gone for with that, which would have married some of the more grounded style that I have, Evans tells us, but then because of the world of it, it would allow me to be a bit more flamboyant and a bit more stylised. We could have taken it in some really interesting areas.
We had some pretty bold ideas there that could have been really visceral and really fun, reflects Evans, But, yeah, I don't know. Who knows? They might come back again in five or ten years time, you never know.
I don't know what exactly happened. I think there might have been a change of personnel, as happens quite a lot in big US studios. I think that project just stopped being a priority for them. It never really went further than two or three phone calls. I've never heard anything since, so I just presumed that project was either on the back burner somewhere, or someone else might be doing it.
Read more: Gareth Evans shares Raid 3 concept
Gareth Evans next project, after Gangs of London, is a Christmas film, Havoc, which he is writing now. Weve already done a lot of the action design for it, and it's pretty crazy and relentless. But it's got a lot of heart in there, which I'm really excited about, the director revealed to Yahoo.
It's more of a sort of mainstream take on what I've done before, but still has all the edge and the fun that comes along with it.
All nine episodes of Gangs of London are available to watch now on Sky Atlantic and NOW TV.
Go here to read the rest:
- Yahoo News - Latest News & Headlines - July 13th, 2020
- These restaurants have filed for bankruptcy and many more are at risk - Yahoo Finance - July 13th, 2020
- Trump identifies another hoax: The coronavirus - Yahoo News - July 13th, 2020
- Bank analysts warn of 'confusing, sloppy, and shocking' earnings as COVID-19 extends grip - Yahoo Finance - July 13th, 2020
- Coronavirus vaccine: What are the issues? Yahoo News Explains - Yahoo News - July 13th, 2020
- NASCAR Hall of Famers Tony Stewart and Ray Evernham teaming up to launch new racing series in 2021 - Yahoo Sports - July 13th, 2020
- China Is Winning the Trillion-Dollar 5G War - Yahoo! Voices - July 13th, 2020
- Coca-Cola just invented a way to save the soda machine from COVID-19 - Yahoo Finance - July 13th, 2020
- EPA approves first two cleaning sprays that kill the coronavirus in 2 minutes - Yahoo Lifestyle - July 13th, 2020
- Spike in Shootings Continues over the Weekend in Chicago, NYC - Yahoo News - July 13th, 2020
- Lakers guard Rajon Rondo suffers fractured thumb, out 6-to-8 weeks ahead of Orlando restart - Yahoo Sports - July 13th, 2020
- Nursing home 'overwhelmed' after call for pen pals goes viral: 'Warms my heart that so many people care' - Yahoo Lifestyle - July 13th, 2020
- Majority of Americans think Congress should extend enhanced unemployment benefits past July: poll - Yahoo Finance - July 13th, 2020
- Lakers plan to reward Avery Bradley with championship ring if they win title - Yahoo Sports - July 13th, 2020
- Trina McGee confronts the racism she experienced on the set of 'Boy Meets World': 'I didn't say it 20 years ago, but I'm saying it now' - Yahoo... - July 13th, 2020
- The Lincoln Project's 'Never Trump' ads expertly troll a president who never fails to take the bait - Yahoo News - July 13th, 2020
- Zion Williamson teases new aspects of game ahead of NBA's restart at Disney - Yahoo Sports - July 13th, 2020
- Bloomington mayor responds to news of attempted lynching of man he knew - Yahoo News - July 13th, 2020
- PepsiCo will return to social media advertising when they better manage hate speech: CFO - Yahoo Finance - July 13th, 2020
- Billionaire Palihapitiya on phenomenon of 'spectacular' AOC, and 'swinging pendulum' of politics - Yahoo Finance - July 13th, 2020
- How to add contacts to your Yahoo Mail account manually in 2 ways - Business Insider - Business Insider - June 20th, 2020
- Donald Trump: Drew Brees will 'regret' apologizing after comments on national anthem protests - Yahoo Sports - June 20th, 2020
- 'Whitewashed and erased': There's a reason Juneteenth isn't taught in schools, educators say - Yahoo News - June 20th, 2020
- The controversial ice cream changing its 'derogatory' name - Yahoo News Australia - June 20th, 2020
- From '100 percent' to 'a disaster': A timeline on how MLB's season has been pushed to the brink - Yahoo Sports - June 20th, 2020
- The Future of Stadiums: How will America's sports venues be transformed by the pandemic? - Yahoo Sports - June 20th, 2020
- 'Into The Wild' bus removed from Alaska wilderness - Yahoo News - June 20th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Fact-checking claims it might have started in August 2019 - Yahoo News - June 20th, 2020
- Tucker Carlson warns that Black Lives Matter is 'more popular than the president' - Yahoo Entertainment - June 20th, 2020
- How a filmmaker's zero-budget horror topped the box office in virus-hit America - Yahoo! Voices - June 20th, 2020
- Meet the Su-25: Russia's Sort-of A-10 Warthog - Yahoo News - June 20th, 2020
- University of Virginia changes logo, removing design linked to school's history with slavery - Yahoo Sports - June 20th, 2020
- Travelers accused of breaking quarantine set to leave Hawaii - Yahoo News - June 20th, 2020
- Uncle Ben's rice: 'Now is the right time' to change - Yahoo News - June 20th, 2020
- Some out-of-work Americans are waiting in line overnight hoping to get their claims processed - Yahoo News - June 20th, 2020
- Trump on coronavirus testing: If we stopped testing right now, wed have very few cases, if any - Yahoo News - June 20th, 2020
- Drew Brees addresses NFL players kneeling in 2020: 'I will never agree with anybody disrespecting the flag' - Yahoo Sports - June 6th, 2020
- Celtics owner Wyc Grousbeck offers thoughts on NBA's 22-team return plan - Yahoo Sports - June 6th, 2020
- Trump says the economy will cure the 'very sad problem' of police killing blacks - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- Italy hopes EU nations will open borders to Italians from June 15 - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- May's jobs report surprise masked weaknesses that could make the rebound a 'head fake' - Yahoo Finance - June 6th, 2020
- For the first time, Mexico records more COVID-19 deaths in a day than the U.S. - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- J.C. Penney to Proceed With DIP Financing - Yahoo Finance - June 6th, 2020
- How this week changed America forever - Yahoo Finance - June 6th, 2020
- People have been frightened to go back to hospitals and clinics: UCLA Hospital System CEO - Yahoo Finance - June 6th, 2020
- Enraged New York driver who chased protesters with blades attached to arm is arrested - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- George W. Bush calls on US to examine its 'tragic failures' - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- Wall St. pro says the current rally reminds him of March 2009 - Yahoo Finance - June 6th, 2020
- Oils Recovery Is Being Threatened by the Discord Rattling OPEC+ - Yahoo Finance - June 6th, 2020
- Eye of the storm: African Development Bank chief Akinwumi Adesina - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- Gregg Popovich unleashes fiery statement on Trump: 'What we have is a fool in place of a president' - Yahoo Sports - June 6th, 2020
- Breaking with party, GOP senator says rebuke of Trump 'necessary' - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- Fired watchdog tells Congress he informed top officials about probe into Pompeo and wife - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- Detained US Navy veteran freed by Iran as part of deal - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- 'Tiger King' update: Sheriff says will of Carole Baskin's late husband Don Lewis was forged - Yahoo Entertainment - June 6th, 2020
- On sad anniversary, few to mourn the D-Day dead in Normandy - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- Wearing Face Masks and Social Distancing Actually Work to Contain COVID-19, According to a New Study - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- Denver police ordered to stop using tear gas and plastic bullets in protests - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- Postcards from the edge: Snapshots of European football's return - Yahoo Sports - June 1st, 2020
- FBI's top lawyer, Dana Boente, ousted amid Fox News criticism for role in Flynn investigation - Yahoo News - June 1st, 2020
- Damian Lillard doesnt plan to participate in resumed NBA season if Blazers don't have true opportunity to make playoffs - Yahoo Sports - June 1st, 2020
- Andy Cohen rehomed beloved dog after 'incident' with son: 'A piece of my heart is gone' - Yahoo Entertainment - June 1st, 2020
- Trump's draft executive order targeting social media companies sparks battle inside the White House - Yahoo News - June 1st, 2020
- Dave Matthews speaks out during live-stream about George Floyd and police brutality: 'It is shameful' - Yahoo Entertainment - June 1st, 2020
- Zion Williamson files for protective order from demand he admit receiving illegal benefits at Duke - Yahoo Sports - June 1st, 2020
- One of the coldest places on Earth is experiencing a record-breaking heat wave - Yahoo News - June 1st, 2020
- Walmart stores suffer damage from George Floyd protests and looting several hundred forced to close early - Yahoo Finance - June 1st, 2020
- Dragon-riding astronauts join exclusive inner circle at NASA - Yahoo News - June 1st, 2020
- EU urges U.S. to reconsider decision to cut ties with WHO - Yahoo News - June 1st, 2020
- Asymptomatic COVID-19 cases may be more common than suspected - Yahoo News - June 1st, 2020
- Turner: 'The Match' was most-watched golf event in cable history - Yahoo Sports - June 1st, 2020
- If Kevin Stefanski can't turn around Baker Mayfield who is 'way more talented' than Kirk Cousins Browns are in trouble - Yahoo Sports - June 1st, 2020
- China-India border: Why tensions are rising between the neighbours - Yahoo News - June 1st, 2020
- Kentucky Basketball: Where the Wildcats stand in Yahoo NBA Mock Draft - A Sea Of Blue - June 1st, 2020
- Oil Trades at Six-Week High on Supply Cuts and Demand Recovery - Yahoo Canada Finance - May 15th, 2020
- FBI serves warrant on senator in investigation of stock sales linked to coronavirus - Yahoo Parenting - May 15th, 2020
- Man and woman 'found walking on road with body parts in suitcases' - Yahoo News Australia - May 15th, 2020
- Moscow says it ascribed over 60% of coronavirus deaths in April to other causes - Yahoo News - May 15th, 2020
- Letters to the Editor: Ahmaud Arbery's killing was heinous, but it wasn't a surprise - Yahoo News - May 15th, 2020
- The pandemic may have solved MLB's most polarizing debate: Get ready for the universal DH - Yahoo Sports - May 15th, 2020