Scarborough Borough Councils cabinet today backed a new strategic vision for the site in order to create an iconic development for the town.
In February the council set up a new cross-party task group to examine all options for the area following an independent review of the councils 2014 decision to demolish the former theatre at a cost of more than 4 million and enter into an agreement with Flamingo Land to build an attraction in its place.
The task groups report has now been endorsed by councils cabinet, and the authority will now move forward with what it is calling the Bay Side South vision.
Flamingo Land will still be part of the negotiations but it could be the end of its plans for a seaside attraction which included a 60m-high Cliffhanger ride, a rollercoaster, and a four-storey building housing restaurants and play areas.
While making no specific proposals about what the development should be, the task group identified several themes that should be met by any plan.
They include enhancing the towns natural heritage assets, enabling residents to live better lives, and promoting good health, education and active lifestyles.
A report prepared for the cabinet meeting noted that the group was keen that the sites redevelopment would result in facilities that would captivate all ages while being accessible and affordable to local residents and visitors.
It would also need to support an all-year-round economy.
Despite Ryedale-based Flamingo Land remaining the councils preferred bidder, the all-party group hoped the future focus didnt just relate to leisure and tourism and wanted provision for other economic growth sectors such as digital, health and engineering, education and skills along with career development for 18 to 25 year olds across the borough.
A desire for the redevelopment to better connect the town centre, beach and harbour forms part of the vision for the site.
Speaking at todays cabinet meeting, cabinet member Cllr Janet Jefferson quoted the findings of the task group when discussing what should replace the Futurist.
She said: We want to see a truly iconic development in this location as an opportunity to embrace innovative solutions to link past, present and future, creating at Bay Side South a vibrant and sustainable environment which will enhance well-being and quality of life for residents and visitors alike.
Council leader Cllr Steve Siddons thanked Flamingo Land for sticking with us while the council went through the process of examining the proposals and said he looked forward to working with them.
Conservative Cllr David Jeffels told the cabinet that he felt the site should be remarketed, both nationally and across Europe, and that a nation-wide architectural competition could be held to generate new interest in this prime site.
He added: The Futurist Site provides Scarborough with a golden opportunity to have a development which will not only be iconic but which will be a catalyst to regenerate not only the Foreshore but the town centre as a whole.
Cabinet member Cllr Liz Colling responded that an architectural competition was not the way to approach a once in a lifetime opportunity and said there were a number of other benefits that had to be addressed as well as how the development looked.
Cllr Colling added that it would be inappropriate to market the site while Flamingo Land remained the preferred bidder and had stood by the council in good faith.
- Futurist says coronavirus could last for years 'like the Great Depression' - Mirror Online - July 5th, 2020
- Climate Change Threatens 60 Percent of the World's Fish Species - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- This Scientist Says He's Built a Jet Engine That Turns Electricity Directly Into Thrust - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- One Particular Spot on Earth Is Getting Colder Instead of Hotter - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- The Large Hadron Collider Just Discovered a Brand-New Particle - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- Scientists Say They've Found the Exact Center of the Solar System - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- When Futurism Meets With Disaster: Max Brooks' Devolution - tor.com - July 5th, 2020
- Extremely Dubious Scientist Believes There's Mushrooms and Lichen on Mars - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- This Forest Fire Was So Huge, NASA Spotted It From Space - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- 5 Ways Brands Can Take Meaningful Action During This Time - Forbes - July 5th, 2020
- NASA Invents Wearable That Scolds You For Touching Your Face - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- Researchers Say You Can Improve Your Eyesight by Staring at This Specific Type of Light - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- Even With Insurance, the COVID Drug Remdesivir Is Shockingly Expensive - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- Augmented Human: 5 Times Ive Used Technology To Augment Myself - Forbes - July 5th, 2020
- A Giant Star Appears to Have Winked Out of Existence - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- Introducing the Campus Technology Insider Podcast - Campus Technology - June 24th, 2020
- This is What Sunsets on Other Planets Would Look Like - Futurism - June 24th, 2020
- Astronomers May Have Discovered First-Ever Black Neutron Star - Futurism - June 24th, 2020
- NASA: Next Moon Astronauts Will Hike 10 Miles on Lunar Surface - Futurism - June 24th, 2020
- As fashion resets, its algorithms should too - Vogue Business - June 24th, 2020
- China Is Building a Genetic Database of Every Man in the Country - Futurism - June 24th, 2020
- The Death of the Open-Plan Office? Not Quite, but a Revolution is in the Air - Nextgov - June 24th, 2020
- Freestyle Acquires Divos!; Docs The Prison Within & Superhuman Find Homes; Random Media Takes Opus Of An Angel Film Deal Briefs - Deadline - June 24th, 2020
- Nicholas Mallis' Final Station, And More Music News and Gossip | Flagpole - Flagpole Magazine - June 24th, 2020
- Renewal Shows the Possibility of a Better World Post-Covid - Press Release - Digital Journal - June 24th, 2020
- Working from home is missing something that only offices and cities can provide - MarketWatch - June 24th, 2020
- How a global pandemic is changing the world: Part 1 - SmartBrief - June 20th, 2020
- Step into 2030: Join The Drum's futurist session to hear what the next decade holds - The Drum - June 13th, 2020
- This Flying Car Looks Like the DeLorean From "Back to the Future" - Futurism - June 13th, 2020
- Bad News: Another Deadly Virus Is Spreading in the US - Futurism - June 13th, 2020
- This Guy Accidentally Took a Photo That Crashes Android Smartphones - Futurism - June 13th, 2020
- Coronavirus live updates: Here's what to know in South Florida on June 12 - msnNOW - June 13th, 2020
- Scientists Claim the Universe Is Actually Flat - Futurism - June 13th, 2020
- SpaceX Trying to Figure Out How to Land Starship on the Moon - Futurism - June 13th, 2020
- Scientists Claim to Have Recreated Earth's First Life - Futurism - June 13th, 2020
- Collapsed Star Proves Another of Einstein's Theories - Futurism - June 13th, 2020
- Elon Musk: Teslas Semi Truck is Officially Going Into Production - Futurism - June 13th, 2020
- This Quasar Warps Itself Into a Ring by Distorting Spacetime - Futurism - June 13th, 2020
- Justice League: Who Is the DC Universe's Tony Stark? | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - June 13th, 2020
- A Futurist's Advice on Navigating through the Technology Valley of Death - CEOWORLD magazine - June 13th, 2020
- A Futurist Explains What Emerging Jobs Will Be Necessary Post-Virus - Hit 107 - June 6th, 2020
- Experts: Protests Unlikely to Cause Huge Wave of COVID Cases - Futurism - June 6th, 2020
- After Explosion, SpaceX Still Hoping to Launch Starship This Year - Futurism - June 6th, 2020
- NASA InSight Lander Finally Manages to Bury Its Probe Into Mars - Futurism - June 6th, 2020
- Evidence Suggests That the Entire Early Universe Was Rotating - Futurism - June 6th, 2020
- Elon Musk Just Absolutely Roasted the Russian Space Program - Futurism - June 6th, 2020
- Study: More Than 500 Vertebrates Poised To Go Extinct - Futurism - June 6th, 2020
- Allison Fine Featured in The New Yorker - Philanthropy Women - June 6th, 2020
- MSN Fires Journalists, Replaces Them With AI - Futurism - June 6th, 2020
- What will design look like in 2030? We asked 3 futurists - Business of Home - June 1st, 2020
- Interstellar Visitor May Be One of Rarest Objects In Universe - Futurism - June 1st, 2020
- Vancouver Island's long road to recovery will have a few bumps - vancouverislandfreedaily.com - June 1st, 2020
- 5G Technology - The Cybersecurity Implications of Widespread - tripwire.com - June 1st, 2020
- Half the Visible Universe Was Missing. Scientists Just Found It. - Futurism - June 1st, 2020
- The New Reality: Future of shopping malls in jeopardy as COVID-19 pandemic pushes shoppers online - cjoy.com - June 1st, 2020
- Only One in Two Americans Say They'd Take a COVID-19 Vaccine - Futurism - June 1st, 2020
- Watch the Astronauts Give Their Kids Virtual Hugs Before Launch - Futurism - June 1st, 2020
- Changing face of Liverpool city centre and the shops we've lost along the way - Liverpool Echo - June 1st, 2020
- Folk's Jason Wilber Examines the World Through a Futurist Lens in 'Time Traveler' (album stream) - PopMatters - May 29th, 2020
- The Conversation: Beware of Unemployment Insurance Scammers - Hawaiipublicradio - May 29th, 2020
- The long road to recovery will have a few bumps Victoria News - Victoria News - May 29th, 2020
- The stakes have never been higher as America reopens. What can a post-coronavirus world look like? - USA TODAY - May 29th, 2020
- On the Futurist Cookbook - Apollo Magazine - May 14th, 2020
- UWO alumnus and renowned futurist: 'There has never been more opportunity to make a difference' - UW Oshkosh Today - May 14th, 2020
- What will the world look like after corona? - ISRAEL21c - May 14th, 2020
- US Officials: Chinese Hackers Are Targeting Vaccine Research - Futurism - May 14th, 2020
- Dock a SpaceX Spacecraft to the ISS in This Amazing Simulator - Futurism - May 14th, 2020
- WHO: The Coronavirus Might Be Here Forever - Futurism - May 14th, 2020
- Documentary Spaceship Earth resurrects stranger-than-fiction story of utopian Biosphere 2 experiment - ABC News - May 14th, 2020
- Scientists Have a Promising New Idea to Defeat the Coronavirus - Futurism - May 14th, 2020
- Fauci: Reopening Too Soon Could Lead to "Suffering and Death" - Futurism - May 14th, 2020
- Augmented reality giant Magic Leap is closing its Seattle office amid layoffs - GeekWire - May 14th, 2020
- How will you re-introduce your business to customers? - Trinidad Guardian - May 14th, 2020
- There's a Resurgence of Coronavirus Cases in China - Futurism - May 14th, 2020
- Futurism | Definition, Manifesto, Artists, & Facts ... - April 30th, 2020
- 7 Top Futurists Make Some Pretty Surprising Predictions ... - April 30th, 2020
- The White House Is Trying to Shut Down NASA's Last Mars Rover - Futurism - April 30th, 2020
- Free DNA Test Claims to Warn Whether COVID Is Likely to Kill You - Futurism - April 30th, 2020
- New Zealand Claims to Have Eliminated COVID-19 - Futurism - April 30th, 2020
- The Laws of Physics May Break Down at the Edge of the Universe - Futurism - April 30th, 2020