David Houle| Sarasota Herald-Tribune
My previous column titledDark Winterwas my suggestion that we will have a dark winter ahead primarily due to the COVID-19 pandemic.The only thing I got wrong was thinking that America might top out at 135,000 new cases a day.Well, I am writing this on Dec. 7 and we have already hit 200,000 as a daily new case load, so I was off by 40%.This, of course, only makes the winter darker.
Americas Vision Deficit was about how, until recently, Americans came together to face common enemies, whether it was the Axis Powers in WWII or the Soviet Union in the race to the moon and the Cold War.
Remember 9/11/01?Of course you do!That was when 3,000 died in one day at the hands of Islamic terrorists, when several days later President Bush climbed the rubble of the World Trade Center, grabbed a megaphone and in just a matter of minutes united us against those that had attacked us and killed our fellow Americans.
If you were like me, you bought and proudly wore an FDNY hat for several years after that.We honored our heroes who went toward the towers.Today we honor our front-line heroes who are overwhelmed at all the hospitals dealing with virus deaths every day, often every hour.Close to 2,000 of them have died from the virus, often working with less than adequate PPE. We honor them by saying they are heroes.
Many of us, however, do not honor them. Every single front line health worker I have heard interviewed have all said the same thing: please help us, wear a mask and follow health guidelines.With these pleas from weeping, exhausted heroes, I just cant understand why so many people will not wear masks.
In one day, there were 3,000 deaths of Americans and we all were changed by it, and our sense of being Americans under attack seemed to unite us.Last week, three days had almost the same number of dead Americans as 9/11: 2,777, 2,802 and 2,669. In the first five days of December, 13,289 Americans died from the COVID-19 virus, or more than four times the death toll of 9/11.
After 9/11, and up to this day, we have tolerated hours of waiting to go through TSA security lines.We unpack our liquids, take off our shoes and belts, empty our pockets and walk through a scanner.Often, we have to be frisked.This is much more personally intrusive, much more time consuming and yet we do it.The obvious reason for this difference is that none of us could fly if we didnt go through TSA security, so we tolerate it.Yet many chose to not wear masks as it is an invasion of freedom.Well, for those of you who dont wear masks, think about TSA lines.If you accept the government rule that you cant fly without going through security, why would you resist a government mandate to wear masks?None of us want a terrorist on our plane.None of us want to get COVID-19.
We are under attack and yet we argue about masks.While our front-line workers are crying and pleading with us to wear masks and follow the health scientists, we argue amongst ourselves about mask wearing.What has happened to us these last few years?Yes, you can say President Trump as he doesnt wear a mask and actually has ridiculed those that wear them.But that is an easy cop-out as we all have the freedom of choice, unless of course you need a politician to control how you act.How we as Americans stay divided andignore those front-line workersis simply beyond me.The only real conclusion is that millions of Americans have chosen to be selfish and opinionated to a degree that we no longer can come together to fight the enemy.
Back to todays date of Dec. 7, the 79th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor.That day changed history.Within days we were in a declared war and within weeks tensof thousands had signed up to fight the enemy.Any idea how many Americans died that day? 2,403.That means that three days last week more people died in a day thandied at Pearl Harbor.
We are all caught up in our opinions.We dont honor our health and front-line workers. We moan about our freedom to not wear a mask.If we had been so selfish, we wouldnt have won WWII, as the home front, the factory floors of Detroit, and unprecedented rationing were big parts of being the victor.
So here is what we know to be true as of this writing:
Back to the premise at the top of the column:A unique opportunity to shape our future. If we want to have fewer deaths than we sustained in WWII 420,000, over four years we can wear masks, social distanceand havea commitment to our neighbors, the elderly, the infirm and our frontline health care workers.If we want to keep Florida as a place where people can feel safe to visit during season, we can all do what is needed and what is right,and do it now.
Or we can decide to act selfishly and dismiss science, in ways that the Greatest Generation should find appalling.We can bond and come together in a singular way to lessen death, suffering and economic loss … and feel good about it.Or we can refuse to fight with the tools we know can help us win this battle against an invisible and deathly enemy.
What our collective future for the next six months will be is up to us. We can jointogether for the common good, for saving lives, for a faster economic recovery, or we can actselfishly and make the road ahead longer and more deadly.
What are you going to do?
Sarasota resident David Houle is a globally recognized futurist. He has given speeches on six continents, written seven books and is futurist in residence at the Ringling College of Art + Design. His website is davidhoule.com. Email him at email@example.com.
Continue reading here:
FUTURIST: Our choices can save lives over the next six months
- Lost treasures of Liverpool now confined to history - Liverpool Echo - February 22nd, 2021
- Bill Gates Says That Going to Mars Is Silly - Futurism - February 22nd, 2021
- Coronavirus Cases Around the World Are Finally Dropping - Futurism - February 22nd, 2021
- Cities Are So Heavy That They're Sinking Into the Earth - Futurism - February 22nd, 2021
- Texans Are Sleeping In Their Teslas to Survive Freezing Cold - Futurism - February 22nd, 2021
- Floyd Mayweather Throws Wild 44th Bday Bash for Himself, Gives Logan Paul Update - TMZ - February 22nd, 2021
- Europe Invites People With Disabilities to Become Astronauts - Futurism - February 22nd, 2021
- Bill Gates Says All Wealthy Nations Should Switch to Synthetic Beef - Futurism - February 22nd, 2021
- Reading Thelin's 'A History of American Higher Education' as an Amateur Futurist | Learning Innovation - Inside Higher Ed - February 4th, 2021
- Food futurist Jack Bobo tells how sustainability will shape the future of food - Baking Business - February 4th, 2021
- IBM Algorithm Can Tell Who's Going to Get Alzheimer's by Reading Their Writing - Futurism - February 4th, 2021
- This Apple Car showcases a futuristic automotive revolution that makes the Tesla Cybertruck look old-school! - Yanko Design - February 4th, 2021
- Theater to Stream: Shakespeare Villains and Hot-Tub Dreams - The New York Times - February 4th, 2021
- NASA Boss: We Have "Every Indication" That Artemis Is Safe Under Biden - Futurism - February 4th, 2021
- HALs futuristic, deadly CATS to be battle-ready by 2024-25 - The New Indian Express - February 4th, 2021
- Surgeons Give Man New Face and Hands - Futurism - February 4th, 2021
- chengdu's futuristic fully-automated unmanned metro stations open to the public - Designboom - February 4th, 2021
- Saudi Arabia's futuristic city project in talks over cloud computing deal - Yahoo Finance - January 31st, 2021
- A University Is Using a Dead Professor to Teach an Online Class - Futurism - January 31st, 2021
- BADG's Obsidian is a futuristic concept house powered by Black creativity - Business of Home - January 31st, 2021
- Expert: We Could Vaccinate Everyone on Earth and Not Eliminate the Coronavirus - Futurism - January 25th, 2021
- The US Army Is Testing an Auto-Aiming Part of Its "Iron Man" Suit - Futurism - January 25th, 2021
- China Is Sending a Mission to Study the Sun - Futurism - January 25th, 2021
- New Gene Therapy Reverses Aging in Mice - Futurism - January 25th, 2021
- Space Station Captures Amazing Footage of Lightning From Above - Futurism - January 25th, 2021
- Professional Gamer Retires After Career-Ending Injury to Thumb - Futurism - January 25th, 2021
- Fourth Annual Shape of the Region Conference - Prince William Living - January 25th, 2021
- Engineering can contribute to a reimagining of the US public health system | The Conversation - News-Herald.com - January 25th, 2021
- The companies making the most essential smart home gadgets - Quartz - January 25th, 2021
- Ford futurist: 2020 brought more stress than ever but ... - December 19th, 2020
- This 'futurist-in-chief' says gaming could be bigger than the physical economy - CNN - December 19th, 2020
- Darwinism, Storytelling, and the Futurist ET Myth - Discovery Institute - December 19th, 2020
- Report: Electric Cars Could Be Cheaper Than Gas Ones in Just 2 Years - Futurism - December 19th, 2020
- SpaceX's Next Starship Prototype Could be Headed to Launch Pad on Thursday - Futurism - December 19th, 2020
- NASA Says It Will Fly a Canadian to the Moon - Futurism - December 19th, 2020
- Surgeons Who Operate on Their Birthday Appear to Kill Way More Patients - Futurism - December 19th, 2020
- Creator of Twin Peaks and Velvet Taco gets new CEO, new identity, new focus - Restaurant Business Online - December 19th, 2020
- These are the 5 most valuable skills to learn right now, says futuristand where to find free online courses - CNBC - November 7th, 2020
- Scientists Say They've Found the Missing 40 Percent of the Universe's Matter - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- New Evidence: There Was Another Planet in the Solar System That Escaped - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- Scientists Found a Way to Make Infrared Light Visible to Humans - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- The Neo-Futurists: bringing theatre further into the future - North by Northwestern - November 7th, 2020
- Walmart Is Giving Up on Its Inventory Robots - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- US Government Seizes $1 Billion in Silk Road Bitcoin - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- Scientists in Japan Build Robot to Hold Hands With Lonely People - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- MIT Algorithm Detects COVID-19 in the Sound of Your Cough - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- If This COVID-Blocking Nasal Spray Works on Humans, It Could Change the Course of the Pandemic - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- Amazon Patent Makes the Most Horrible Gamers Play With Each Other - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- Starlink Beta Has Outperformed Most Internet in the US - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- These are the Skills and Mindsets of the Leader of the Future - Entrepreneur - November 7th, 2020
- Our Soil is Poised To Release Billions of Tons of Carbon - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- Martian Meteorites Show Red Planet Had Water Billions of Years Ago - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- The Futurist art movement tried its hand at cooking, with unappetizing results - The A.V. Club - September 26th, 2020
- What could our lives be like in 2025? Futurists think Americans may eat, fly and go to school differently post-COVID - USA TODAY - September 26th, 2020
- Scientists Claim to Find First-Ever Planet in Another Galaxy - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- Global Motorcycle Rental Market provides a futurist Forecast of the market growth in the post-COVID-19 scenario - Verdant News - September 26th, 2020
- Global Outsourced Semiconductor Assembly and Test (OSAT) Market provides a futurist Forecast of the market growth in the post-COVID-19 scenario -... - September 26th, 2020
- Earth Appears to Be Capturing a Tiny New Moon - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- Global Floating Wind Turbines Market provides a futurist Forecast of the market growth in the post-COVID-19 scenario - The Daily Chronicle - September 26th, 2020
- Beijing motor show - Infiniti QX60 preview | Automotive Industry Analysis - just-auto.com - September 26th, 2020
- Life May Have Hopped From Earth to Venus on Asteroid, Scientists Say - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- Tesla's "Plaid" Model S is Real and It's Fast as Hell - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- Russia Wants to Be the First to Shoot a Movie In Space - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- The International Space Station Had to Dodge a Piece of Space Junk Last Night - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- The new concept from Great Wall was similar to the Volga - The Times Hub - September 26th, 2020
- NASA Is Heading to the Far Side of the Moon to Study the Ancient Universe - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- Astronomers Spot Bits of Entirely Different Asteroid on Surface of Bennu - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- Scientists Claim to Have Proved That Crows Have Conscious Experiences - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- NASA and the US Space Force Are Officially Teaming Up - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- Astronomers Discover "Pi Earth" Planet That Orbits Every 3.14 Days - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- SETI Team Increases Number of Stars That Might Host Life by 200x - Futurism - September 4th, 2020
- Fauci: We Could Cut Trials Short and Give Out COVID Vaccine "Right Now" - Futurism - September 4th, 2020
- Chadwick Bosemans Wakanda: Afro-Futurism Is in the Present - Common Dreams - September 4th, 2020
- Scientists Are Running Out of Primates to Test Vaccines On - Futurism - September 4th, 2020
- What Goes Right and Wrong When We Predict a High-Tech Future - Walter Bradley Center for Natural and Artificial Intelligence - September 4th, 2020
- Futurist says coronavirus could last for years 'like the Great Depression' - Mirror Online - July 5th, 2020
- Climate Change Threatens 60 Percent of the World's Fish Species - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- This Scientist Says He's Built a Jet Engine That Turns Electricity Directly Into Thrust - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- One Particular Spot on Earth Is Getting Colder Instead of Hotter - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- The Large Hadron Collider Just Discovered a Brand-New Particle - Futurism - July 5th, 2020