Over the next five to ten years, the technology industry will shift from Cloud 1.0 to Cloud 2.0, and managed services providers that can smooth enterprise adoption of disaggregated cloud services will prosper greatly.
But the trick to seizing that opportunity isn't understanding the progression of technology, which is fairly predictable, but the use cases that it will enable, Tom Koulopoulos, chairman of the Delphi Group think tank, told attendees of NexGen Cloud 2019 conference in Anaheim, Calif. on Tuesday.
In a keynote titled "How Next-Gen Cloud Will Transform Business," Koulopoulos told the NexGen audience: "the value that people in this room bring is going to increase by orders of magnitude."
[Related: NexGen Conference & Expo 2019]
The pace at which computing power and storage capacity increases mostly follows a trend line. But business advantage comes in understanding how people, and organizations, use those resources.
To illustrate that point, Koulopoulos, a highly-regarded futurist and author, traced the evolution of computing technology, from the IBM ENIAC mainframe of the 1950s to the smartphones we all carry arounda large percentage of the 10 billion computing devices in existence.
Back in the 1950s, no one could comprehend the use case for what is essentially 10 billion ENIACs. Similarly, we can't comprehend what will come in the next 60 yearsbut the next 5 to 10 years are in clearer focus.
An "insatiable appetite for data," will characterize emerging business models that revolutionize every industry, he said.
Currently, from transportation to health care, the stumbling block is storing and accessing the right data, as we're generating more of it than human beings know how to understand and decipher.
What's worse, it's all too expensive, Koulopoulos said. There's still a long way to go to achieving Cloud 2.0, where data is bottomless, and storing any that might be of value is economically viable.
"The economics of data ultimately define the parameters of your business model," he said.
Those challenging economics have slowed cloud adoption. Currently, only 10 percent of companies have moved their data into the cloud.
"We've barely seen the economic impact of this movement. But it's going to happen," Koulopoulos said.
Companies like Microsoft, Amazon and Google deserve to be commended for building the first-gen cloud. But what has held up universal adoption is that those providers still present a bundled economic model.
Cloud 2.0 will be the unbundled cloud, deconstructing servicescompute, storage, networkinginto components offered by vendors that can optimize each of them independently. Look to what Wasabi is doing for storage, or Packet for compute, as examples, Koulopoulos said.
"Your role is to be the aggregator of these various services," he told solution providers gathered in Anaheim.
Slowing that progress is lock-in to Cloud 1.0. "Once you're locked in, it's really hard to get out of it," he said.
The channel will play a key role in unlocking the next phase of cloud, which further frees companies to focus on their core competencies and shed all othersan essential pursuit for businesses that want to remain relevant as the world rapidly changes.
And for most businesses, technology is essential to the products and services they deliver customersbut it's not their core. Cloud partners must figure out how to eliminate the friction that makes it harder for their enterprise customer to focus on their core value propositions, Koulopoulos said.
"What you deliver as an industry is the elimination of technological friction," Koulopoulos said. "You take friction out of the equation, you increase the velocity of the transactions, and increase the pleasure of the user experience."
That sentiment resonated with Ben Schmerler, director of strategic operations at DP Solutions, a managed services provider based in Columbia, MD.
Schmerler works on guiding direction of the business, and sees the paradigm shift currently under way as one that will drastically impact MSP practices.
"We have to be bleeding-edge within our core, willing to embrace this new stuff, embrace change, but remember fundamentally who we are," Schmerler said. "That sounds like it's conflicting, but I dont think it is. "
MSPs have to constantly assess how the deliverables they excel at can be provided to suit the modern and rapidly evolving market, Schmerler said.
"A lot of MSPs become very stale," he said.
- On the Futurist Cookbook - Apollo Magazine - May 14th, 2020
- UWO alumnus and renowned futurist: 'There has never been more opportunity to make a difference' - UW Oshkosh Today - May 14th, 2020
- What will the world look like after corona? - ISRAEL21c - May 14th, 2020
- US Officials: Chinese Hackers Are Targeting Vaccine Research - Futurism - May 14th, 2020
- Dock a SpaceX Spacecraft to the ISS in This Amazing Simulator - Futurism - May 14th, 2020
- WHO: The Coronavirus Might Be Here Forever - Futurism - May 14th, 2020
- Documentary Spaceship Earth resurrects stranger-than-fiction story of utopian Biosphere 2 experiment - ABC News - May 14th, 2020
- Scientists Have a Promising New Idea to Defeat the Coronavirus - Futurism - May 14th, 2020
- Fauci: Reopening Too Soon Could Lead to "Suffering and Death" - Futurism - May 14th, 2020
- Augmented reality giant Magic Leap is closing its Seattle office amid layoffs - GeekWire - May 14th, 2020
- How will you re-introduce your business to customers? - Trinidad Guardian - May 14th, 2020
- There's a Resurgence of Coronavirus Cases in China - Futurism - May 14th, 2020
- Futurism | Definition, Manifesto, Artists, & Facts ... - April 30th, 2020
- 7 Top Futurists Make Some Pretty Surprising Predictions ... - April 30th, 2020
- The White House Is Trying to Shut Down NASA's Last Mars Rover - Futurism - April 30th, 2020
- Free DNA Test Claims to Warn Whether COVID Is Likely to Kill You - Futurism - April 30th, 2020
- New Zealand Claims to Have Eliminated COVID-19 - Futurism - April 30th, 2020
- The Laws of Physics May Break Down at the Edge of the Universe - Futurism - April 30th, 2020
- These Mathematicians Think the Universe May Be Conscious - Futurism - April 30th, 2020
- This COVID-19 Vaccine Could Be Ready by September - Futurism - April 30th, 2020
- The Conversation: The Future After the Coronavirus Crisis - Hawaiipublicradio - April 30th, 2020
- Elon Musk Says the Starlink Network Will Go Live in Six Months - Futurism - April 26th, 2020
- Automated Education This Grad Student Used a Neural Network to Write His Papers - Futurism - April 26th, 2020
- NASA: Something Is Off About This Interstellar Comet - Futurism - April 26th, 2020
- This is What Air Travel Could Look Like After the Pandemic - Futurism - April 26th, 2020
- The Coronavirus May Be Doing Something Strange to Your Toes - Futurism - April 26th, 2020
- We Need Herd Immunity From Trump and the Coronavirus - The New York Times - April 26th, 2020
- The revolution will not be memorised - Schools Week - April 26th, 2020
- For the First Time Ever, the Price of Oil is Now Negative - Futurism - April 26th, 2020
- The future of work is here: How 'distance work' is transforming the workplace - Washington Technology - April 26th, 2020
- Living In The City - The Chattanoogan - April 26th, 2020
- New Study Predicts the Ocean Ecosystem Will Collapse This Decade - Futurism - April 11th, 2020
- Terrifying Simulation Shows How Viruses Spread When You Cough - Futurism - April 11th, 2020
- Snowden: Governments Will Use the Coronavirus to Seize More Power - Futurism - April 11th, 2020
- NASA Releases Breathtaking Infrared Image of Pillars of Creation - Futurism - April 11th, 2020
- The World's First Cyborgs: Humanity's Next Evolutionary Phase Is Here - Futurism - April 11th, 2020
- COVID AI Data Firm Says Its AI Predicts Where Next COVID-19 Spike Will Be - Futurism - April 11th, 2020
- The Pandemic Stranded Them in the Worst Place: Antarctica - Futurism - April 11th, 2020
- Here's What It Would Be Like to Drive on Different Planets - Futurism - April 11th, 2020
- Coronavirus Conspiracy Theorists Are Setting 5G Towers on Fire - Futurism - April 11th, 2020
- There's No Good Evidence That Hydroxychloroquine Fights COVID-19 - Futurism - April 11th, 2020
- Apple and Google to Launch App for Tracking the Coronavirus - Futurism - April 11th, 2020
- Study Predicts What Gamers Might Look Like In 20 Years And Its Not Pretty - NowThis - April 11th, 2020
- A New Hole Is Forming in the Ozone Layer Over the Arctic - Futurism - April 11th, 2020
- 'Where Do We Go from Here?': On the Future of Arab Futurism - Palestine Chronicle - March 9th, 2020
- Scientists Say Ancient Earth Was Completely Covered in Water - Futurism - March 9th, 2020
- CRISPR Scientists Hack Patient's Genes in Bid to Cure Blindness - Futurism - March 9th, 2020
- Q&A: James Hamblin, MD on Why You're Likely to Get the Coronavirus - Futurism - March 9th, 2020
- Elon Musk: New Self-Driving Features Will Come Out This Month - Futurism - March 9th, 2020
- New Theory Could Explain Exoplanets With "Density of Cotton Candy" - Futurism - March 9th, 2020
- Anti-Coke Lawsuit: "Plastic Is Set to Outweigh Fish in the Ocean" - Futurism - March 9th, 2020
- The importance of lifelong learning in the future of work - Fast Company - March 9th, 2020
- This Futuristic Tire Concept Regrows Its Tread by Popping a Pill - Futurism - March 9th, 2020
- Economist: Springfield is 'on the cusp.' Here's what it needs to do to take the next step. - News-Leader - February 27th, 2020
- Here's a Glossary for the Ongoing Coronavirus Outbreak's Vocab - Futurism - February 27th, 2020
- Humanitys media habits shifted radically in the 2010s. What do the 2020s hold? - Digital Trends - February 27th, 2020
- Space Force Working "Pretty Closely With Elon Musk and SpaceX" - Futurism - February 27th, 2020
- The Pentagon Just Simulated a Nuclear War With Russia - Futurism - February 27th, 2020
- Deadly Coronavirus May Be Spreading Through Poop - Futurism - February 27th, 2020
- Japan Gives the 'Go' to Sample Return Mission to Mars Moon - Futurism - February 27th, 2020
- Carmakers Expected to Roll Out Wireless Car Chargers This Year - Futurism - February 27th, 2020
- Artificial and Biological Neurons Just Talked Over the Internet - Futurism - February 27th, 2020
- Editors letter: How to predict whats coming in 2030 and beyond - MIT Technology Review - February 27th, 2020
- What in Tarnation Is This "SpaceX Village" by the Starship Launch Site - Futurism - February 27th, 2020
- Guy Builds Rocket to Prove Earth Is Flat, Crashes It, Dies - Futurism - February 27th, 2020
- Report: Two-Thirds of Coronavirus Infections May Be Undetected - Futurism - February 27th, 2020
- The professionals who predict the future for a living - MIT Technology Review - February 27th, 2020
- Futurist Ray Kurzweil Says He Can Bring His Dead Father ... - February 12th, 2020
- What Does The Future Of Human Resources Look Like? | Inc.com - February 12th, 2020
- What is Futurism? Italy's Art Movement that Love Speed and Technology - My Modern Met - February 12th, 2020
- NASA Snaps Photo of Epic Dust Devil on the Surface of Mars - Futurism - February 12th, 2020
- App Checks Whether You've Come in Contact With Deadly Coronavirus - Futurism - February 12th, 2020
- Watch a Mother Reunite With Her Deceased Child in VR - Futurism - February 12th, 2020
- Plans Are Moving Ahead to Open a Space Hotel Attached to the ISS - Futurism - February 12th, 2020
- NASA: Next Moon Landing Will Cost About $35 Billion - Futurism - February 12th, 2020
- Jordan Brand Continues To Infuse Futurism With The Meta-Morph Utility - Sneaker News - February 12th, 2020
- Watch a Cybertruck Replace the DeLorean in "Back to the Future" - Futurism - February 12th, 2020
- Iran Tries to Pass Off $20 Walmart Costume as Space Suit - Futurism - February 12th, 2020
- University Chancellor Predicts "Higher Forms of Life" on Europa - Futurism - February 12th, 2020
- UN Secretary-General: "A Wind of Madness Is Sweeping the Globe" - Futurism - February 12th, 2020