David Houle| Sarasota Herald-Tribune
Last fall I had a couple of Zoom calls with two futurists for whom I have a great deal of respect.We talked about what we saw going on in the world, what the lasting effect of the global pandemic might be and what is ahead for this decade.We all came to an agreement that one of the great futurists we all read years ago, and have come back to for wisdom, hadsuccinctly suggested where in fact we are right now, 50 years ago.
R. Buckminster Fuller,inventor of the geodesic domeand several other spectacular things, wrote a book in 1969 called Utopia or Oblivion: the Prospects for Humanity.In it he suggested that in several decades humanity would come to a fork in the road, the two roads being utopia and abundance on one side and a mindless road to oblivion on the other.
Whether it is to be Utopia or Oblivion will be a touch-and-go relay race right up to the final moment … Humanity is in a final exam as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in the Universe, wrote Fuller.
The three of us Gerd Leonhard (futuristgerd.com/),Glen Hiemstra (futurist.com/), and I all saw that the decade of the 2020s wasthe fork in the road that Fuller wrote about more than 50 years ago.
As futurists who peer into the future for a living, study macro-trends and arcs of history into the present, we all see this decade as the chance to fully, proactively create the road to the future that we want, rather than unknowingly, mindlessly heading down a road to a more dystopic future.Not that we are in the last stages of anything but rather that so many big, rapidly developing dynamics will occur this decade that we must collectively face them to shape them into the good future we want for ourselves and our children and grandchildren.
We wrote the #forkintheroadproject Manifesto and put it up on our new website. On the websiteforkintheroadproject.comyou can read the manifesto, read about the three of us, read our blog and also see the presentation that was made at our first global Zoom call.This first meeting of the #forkintheroadproject collective had futurists from the U.S., Canada, New Zealand, Australia, the U.K., Spain, South Africa and Brazil.In addition, there were a couple of noted science fiction writers, media executives, producers, and thought leaders.
We all understand the longer-term consequences. We all see that if humanity wants a future that is positive, places humanity first, faces the immediate-to-long-term threat of the climate crisis and undertakes an inclusive discussion about the future of technological intelligence, genetic modification, the reinvention of capitalism to align with the realities of the 21st century, we must act with urgency between now and 2030.
We admire and acknowledgesuch organizations as the U.N, the World Economic Forum, the B Team, Singularity University and the Millennium Project (whose executive director is an initial signer of our manifesto), that see the need for massive reorganization of how economics and humanity currently existon Earth as soon as possible.We cheer them on and see many well-intentioned efforts underway. Many of these groups are well-funded and staffed with brilliant people who see the current problems and endeavor to fix them.
We see the #forkintheroadproject as a call to action, an understood metaphor, a story to be told and a meme that can raise awareness the fork in the road on every major issue facing humanity.As futurists we are not about solving problems and building organizations.We are about seeing the trends, the dynamics, the forces at play that are ahead of us all.We see that humanity is at one of itsmost critical junctures in history.As people who look at the arcs of history and project them into the future, we see that this decade, these nine years to 2030 is the time when the decision will be made consciously or ignorantly.
We have set up a second meeting of the collective for later this month.We have invited additional futurists, media people, science fiction writers and thought leaders to it.At this stage the three initiators are looking for feedback, suggestions, commitments to action and generally to discuss how the #forkintheroadproject can be amplified, gain traction and begin to raise awareness that a true sense of urgency is needed.There are a number of huge issues facing humanity, many of which need to be addressed soon.
While many forces challenge the future, we recognize these 4 overarching issues:
Please visit the website, read the manifesto (forkintheroadproject.com/manifesto),read and view other contentand if you are moved or in agreement with us, there are several things you can do.You can sign the manifesto, sign up for the newsletter, fill out a form if youor the organization you are with might want to get involved, and finally start to spread the word by using the hashtag #forkintheroadproject.
Time is of the essence.Urgency is called for.Thank you!
Sarasota resident David Houle is a globally recognized futurist. He has given speeches on six continents, written seven books and is futurist in residence at the Ringling College of Art + Design. His website is davidhoule.com. Email him at email@example.com.
- Company Starts Shipping Its $50,000 Mind-Reading Helmet - Futurism - June 18th, 2021
- I'm Going to See the Futuristic Lucid Air EV Sedan Next Week. What Do You Want to Know About It? - The Drive - June 18th, 2021
- Futuristic Wearable Designs that are emerging as the top tech trends of 2021! - Yanko Design - June 18th, 2021
- A Futuristic Amusement Park and an Ecological Power Plant: 16 Unbuilt Competition-Winning Projects Submitted to ArchDaily - ArchDaily - June 18th, 2021
- The Largest Structures in the Universe Started To Spin and We Don't Know Why - Futurism - June 18th, 2021
- Futuristic Self-Driving Car Hits Person the Old Fashioned Way - VICE - June 18th, 2021
- Jeff Bezos Is Helping Build a Fusion Power Plant in the UK - Futurism - June 18th, 2021
- Disney and Africas Kugali to unleash a futuristic Lagos in the upcoming series Iwaju - Animation Xpress - June 18th, 2021
- Experts Decide That Earth Has Five Oceans, Actually - Futurism - June 18th, 2021
- Germany Wants Tesla to Share Its Supercharger Network With Other Carmakers - Futurism - June 18th, 2021
- Battlefield 2042 Enlists AI Soldiers To The Fight On The Futuristic Multiplayer Front - Hot Hardware - June 18th, 2021
- NASA Has Assembled a Megarocket to Take Humans to the Moon - Futurism - June 18th, 2021
- Premiere: Rap Newcomer BXKS Shows Off Her Cosmic Brand Of Futurism On Must Feel - Complex - June 18th, 2021
- Prime Vision to offer a futuristic robotic sorting solution for the US - Post and Parcel - June 18th, 2021
- $1300 off this 8K Samsung TV deal is tempting us to upgrade to the futuristic resolution - GamesRadar+ - June 18th, 2021
- AMC and Heimplanet Reveal Electric Camping Truck | HYPEBEAST - HYPEBEAST - June 18th, 2021
- Influential Voices On The Future Of Work: Brian David Johnson, Futurist - Forbes - May 11th, 2021
- Futurist Deborah Westphal Releases New Book, "Convergence: Technology, Business, and the Human-Centric Future" - PRNewswire - May 11th, 2021
- Unpacking Returnals UX design: Gameplay-first UI, retro-futuristic tech, and accessibility - PlayStation.Blog - May 11th, 2021
- Toyota's Futuristic Woven City Will Be Powered by Hydrogen - autoevolution - May 11th, 2021
- The Opulent, Futuristic Megamansion of Bill and Melinda Gates Could Be a Hard Sell - Mansion Global - May 11th, 2021
- Scientists Turned HIV Into a Life-Saving Gene Therapy - Futurism - May 11th, 2021
- Experts Shred Paper Claiming to Identify Mushrooms on Mars - Futurism - May 11th, 2021
- Ford Patents Tech to Annoy Drivers With In-Car Advertisements - Futurism - May 11th, 2021
- Stewart Brand portrayed as tech futurist and publisher in We Are as Gods - SF Chronicle Datebook - April 21st, 2021
- UK to Add Atomwaffen Division to Proscribed Terrorist List | Kharon - Kharon Brief - April 21st, 2021
- Scientists Claim That Actually, Radiation Is Good For You - Futurism - April 21st, 2021
- Russia Is Reportedly Abandoning the International Space Station - Futurism - April 21st, 2021
- China's Population Is About to Start Declining, and Its Leaders Are Worried - Futurism - April 21st, 2021
- NASA Will Require SpaceX to Land Empty Starship on Moon Before Sending Astronauts - Futurism - April 21st, 2021
- The Futuristic Way You Could Soon Get Groceries Delivered From Walmart - Mashed - April 21st, 2021
- NASA Says Mars Helicopter Is Now Healthier Than It Was Before Flight - Futurism - April 21st, 2021
- Study: Humanity Has Ravaged All But 3 Percent of The Land on Earth - Futurism - April 21st, 2021
- Kyle Kuzma eclectic and futuristic style leads this week's edition of NBA Style Power Rankings - The Athletic - April 21st, 2021
- Five Longhorn Startups Launch Futuristic Solutions for the Challenges of Today - UT News - UT News | The University of Texas at Austin - April 19th, 2021
- This Theory Could Explain Many Military UFO Sightings - Futurism - April 19th, 2021
- Hyundai's Staria is the coolest futuristic minivan that we'll never get - CNET - April 19th, 2021
- Dogecoin Is Spiking and People Are Losing Their Minds - Futurism - April 19th, 2021
- US Spies Warn That China Is Building Space Weapons - Futurism - April 19th, 2021
- Terrifying Mutated-Looking "Creature" Turns Out to Be a Croissant - Futurism - April 19th, 2021
- Japanese Prime Minister Challenged to Drink Radioactive Water Before Dumping It Into the Ocean - Futurism - April 19th, 2021
- Bitcoin Creator Satoshi Nakomoto Is Now One of the World's Wealthiest People - Futurism - April 19th, 2021
- Elon Musk Says He Is Now the "Imperator of Mars" - Futurism - April 19th, 2021
- This Type of Ant Can Shrink and Regrow Its Brain - Futurism - April 19th, 2021
- The Stuff Beer Cans Are Made From Is Linked to Alzheimer's Disease - Futurism - April 19th, 2021
- CRISPR Therapies Pipeline Insights 2021: Analysis of Key Companies, Emerging Therapies, Recent Happenings and Futuristic Trends - GlobeNewswire - April 19th, 2021
- NYPD Robodog Involved in Arrest of Man With Gun - Futurism - April 19th, 2021
- Taco Bell Just Opened a Futuristic New Location In This Major City - Yahoo Lifestyle - April 19th, 2021
- NASA Considering Reality TV Show Filmed on Space Station - Futurism - April 19th, 2021
- Expert: Neuralink Could Sell Your Private Thoughts to the "Highest Bidder" - Futurism - April 19th, 2021
- Anomaly in Earth's Magnetic Field May Be Caused by Buried Fragment of Ancient Planet - Futurism - April 19th, 2021
- Cyberpunk 2077 Meets The Witchers Yennefer in Futuristic Cosplay - DualShockers - April 19th, 2021
- Battlefield 6 leaker claims slightly futuristic setting with drones and robots - Gamesradar - March 31st, 2021
- Smoking Will Disappear Within a Generation, Experts Say - Futurism - March 31st, 2021
- Humans Are Rapidly Losing the Ability to Procreate, Scientist Warns - Futurism - March 31st, 2021
- There Appears to Be a Huge Chunk of an Ancient Planet Buried Inside Earth - Futurism - March 31st, 2021
- Scientists Engineer Synthetic Bacteria That Multiplies Like the Real Thing - Futurism - March 31st, 2021
- South Korean President Announces Plans To Land On The Moon By 2030 - Futurism - March 31st, 2021
- This 525-Foot Superyacht Concept Is Powered by Solar Sails When Theres No Wind - Robb Report - March 31st, 2021
- Something Is Ripping Apart the Nearest Star Cluster to Earth - Futurism - March 31st, 2021
- Mercedes-Benz Showcases Futuristic Dashboard of its Upcoming EQS The EQS is essentially the all-electric version of the S-Class sedan. Not... - March 31st, 2021
- Hertfordshire property: The futuristic Radlett house that looks like it belongs on Grand Designs - Hertfordshire Mercury - March 31st, 2021
- Sims 4: Most Futuristic Homes On The Gallery | Game Rant - GameRant - March 31st, 2021
- Watch a SpaceX Rocket Stage Burn Up Spectacularly in the Earth's Atmosphere - Futurism - March 31st, 2021
- Mercedes shows off the futuristic cabin of its upcoming EQS flagship sedan - IOL - March 31st, 2021
- Battlefield 6 leak just revealed setting were going to the future - Tom's Guide - March 31st, 2021
- Five Principles for Thinking Like a Futurist | EDUCAUSE - March 25th, 2021
- Futurism - Wikipedia - March 25th, 2021
- The Futurist Controller - Matthews Effects - March 25th, 2021
- Hail a Taxi to the Sky? Palm Beach County Commissioners Signal Interest in Futuristic Travel Tech - AviationPros.com - March 25th, 2021
- Bill Gates Attempts to Explain Why He Bought More Farmland Than Anyone Else in America - Futurism - March 25th, 2021
- The Futuristic Hyundai Staria Minivan Is What a People Hauler Should Be in 2021 - The Drive - March 25th, 2021
- Watch This Awesome Video of Clouds Drifting Across the Martian Sky - Futurism - March 25th, 2021
- New images reveal vision of 'futuristic recovery' for East Midlands | TheBusinessDesk.com - The Business Desk - March 25th, 2021
- This Architect Designed a Conceptual Eco-Floating Hotel in Qatar - My Modern Met - March 25th, 2021
- The UAE Is Using Drones to Manipulate Weather - Futurism - March 25th, 2021
- Facebook Teases Futuristic Wrist-Based Wearable That Will Let You Control AR With Your Mind - Gizmodo - March 25th, 2021
- The Artists Building a Future out of Mushrooms - frieze.com - March 25th, 2021
- This Is What It Would Be Like to Ride Starship During Its Epic "Belly Flop" Maneuver - Futurism - March 25th, 2021
- Scientists Finally Measure the Size of Mars' Core - Futurism - March 25th, 2021