Further extension to mother-and-baby homes inquiry – RTE.ie

Posted: June 13, 2020 at 12:43 am

The Government has agreed to a request from the Commission of Investigation into Mother and Baby Homes for a further extension to the publication of its final report.

The Commission had been due to publish its findings into its investigation on Mother and Baby Homes in February, however it says Covid-19 has delayed its work.

In its Seventh Interim Report published today, the Commission says it has been affected by the restrictions imposed as a consequence of Covid-19.

While it says the final report is very close to completion, in order to comply with Public Health advice and directions, logistical difficulties have arisen.

The Commission requested a revision of the timeframe for submitting its final report until 30 October 2020 which has been agreed by the Government.

The Commission of Investigation into Mother and Baby Homes was established in February 2015 and was due to report within three years.

It has since requested and been granted a number of extensions to that deadline.

Prior to today, the Commission has published six reports including one in March last year on burial practices at a number of homes.

The Commission was set up examine the treatment of and dealings with women and children in 14 mother and baby homes as well as four county homes between 1922 and 1998.

The Minister for Children and Youth Affairs has acknowledged that former residents of the institutions that are under investigation will be deeply disappointed with the delay. However, Katherine Zappone has said she knows they will understand the effects and restrictions of Coronavirus on everyday life.

Read the original post:

Further extension to mother-and-baby homes inquiry - RTE.ie

Related Post