It's hard to quantify the fight for life, liberty and freedom with cold, hard figures.
But in a year where anti-government protests in Hong Kong have dominated headlines, bringing into focus an area of the world with a somewhat spotty record on human and economic rights, one exchange-traded fund has come to the fore that tries to do just that.
Enter the Freedom 100 Emerging Markets ETF (FRDM). The fund, launched in May 2019, uses data from the Fraser Institute, the Cato Institute and the Friedrich Naumann Foundation for Freedom to determine how 26 emerging market countries are weighed in the ETF. It essentially takes civil, political and economic freedoms into account and assigns a bigger weighting to "freer" countries based on the criteria.
So far, Taiwan holds the biggest geographic weighting in FRDM, followed by South Korea and Poland. Chile and South Africa round out the top five countries represented in the ETF.
One of the most noteworthy results of the ETF's weighting system is that China, Russia and Saudi Arabia aren't included, particularly as a result of their reported human rights violations. This is despite Chinese markets being up 12% year to date and indexer MSCI increasing its China weighting twice this year.
FRDM founder Perth Tolle says that's the exact problem her ETF is trying to address.
"The problem is with the way that we weigh countries," she said on CNBC's "ETF Edge" earlier this month. "In emerging markets, market capitalization weighting just naturally ends up with a lot of weighting in China and some of these other less-free countries."
Plus, said Tolle, "freer" markets tend to outperform in the long run.
"We do expect that freer markets do perform more sustainably, they recover faster from drawdowns and they use their human or economic capital, or capital labor more efficiently," she said. "So we do expect outperformance in the long run, but that cannot be measured in days, it has to be measured in decades."
But while some countries meet some of the criteria laid out by FRDM, investors may balk at missing out on other profit-generating regions. Tolle raised Saudi Arabia as an example while the kingdom's oil-heavy investments may garner huge payouts, its few breakthroughs in the area of women's rights and overall record in "human freedoms" has kept it out of the ETF.
Tolle also stressed that the ETF looks at every country's laws and practices individually, rather than penalizing them for trade and business relations they may have with less-free countries.
"We are highly invested in Taiwan, South Korea, and Chile. Those are all huge traders with China, and they all have investments or factories that function there," she said. "So we don't penalize them for that. They ultimately answer to [their own rules and laws]."
Since FRDM was launched in May, the ETF has rallied 11%.
See the rest here:
- Madrid's COVID vaccinated care home residents relish freedom on theatre trip - Reuters - February 25th, 2021
- Coronavirus: Home tests will give Germany 'more freedom' - DW (English) - February 25th, 2021
- How the Biden-Harris Administration Can Advance Peace & Freedom At Home and Abroad - Just Security - February 25th, 2021
- EDITORIAL: The freedom to read The Golden Star - Golden Star - February 25th, 2021
- OPINION: Do we have freedom of speech in media? - UNCW Seahawk - February 25th, 2021
- UNLU: On Freedom and activism - Yale Daily News - February 25th, 2021
- We who believe in freedom cannot rest until it comes - scalawagmagazine.org - February 25th, 2021
- Filmmaker Anurag Basu Opens Up on Using Freedom of Creativity and Misusing It - India West - February 25th, 2021
- On 'Comfort Women' and Academic Freedom: A Rebuttal - The Diplomat - February 25th, 2021
- The Freedom of Snowshoe and Ski - Splice Today - February 25th, 2021
- Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation New Dawn Fast Facts - ABC17NEWS - ABC17News.com - February 25th, 2021
- Freedom from fear: For the economy to grow, democracy cant be in recession - The Times of India Blog - February 25th, 2021
- EV Battery Tech Announces the Launch of the IoniX Pro RV Freedom Battery - Canada NewsWire - February 25th, 2021
- Freedom camping needs new regulations and foreign tourists arent the only villains - The Conversation AU - February 25th, 2021
- D.C. United transfer rumors, SheBelieves action & more: Freedom Kicks for 2/22/21 - Black And Red United - February 25th, 2021
- Did Congress Rename Their French Fries to 'Freedom Fries' Before the Iraq War? - Snopes.com - February 6th, 2021
- Boat of the Month: Freedom - National Fisherman - February 6th, 2021
- A Minnesota sharpshooter rescued an eagle caught in tree. Now the raptor has found a forever home. - Minneapolis Star Tribune - February 6th, 2021
- RTW: Be skeptical of candidate claims in the town of Freedom - Olean Times Herald - February 6th, 2021
- Carry the torch: Freedom Riders reflect on civil rights and Black Lives Matter movements - Westport News - February 6th, 2021
- SJ's Veno wins Jon Fleischaker Freedom of Information Award - State-Journal.com - February 6th, 2021
- California Black Freedom Fund launches $100 million initiative to support 'Black-led organizing' - ABC News - February 6th, 2021
- Hong Kong: New national security guidelines on schools further stifle freedom of expression on campus - Amnesty International - February 6th, 2021
- Freedom, and restraint - Pittsburgh Catholic - February 6th, 2021
- "Censorship by Zoom and Other Private Platforms": The UC Academic Freedom Committee's Concerns - Reason - February 6th, 2021
- Americas First Black Regiment Earned Their Freedom by Fighting Against the British - History - February 6th, 2021
- Professor Explores Black Freedom on Native Land | Pittwire | University of Pittsburgh - UPJ Athletics - February 6th, 2021
- MI Research: What Does Freedom, Inc. Believe And Why Won't The Mainstream Media Talk About Their Radical Beliefs? - MacIverInstitute - February 6th, 2021
- Elation Hypercars Teaming Up With Cascadia Motion To Bring The Freedom EV To Life - CarScoops - February 6th, 2021
- UN expresses its concern regarding situation with freedom of expression in Ukraine - 112 International - February 6th, 2021
- Dolly Parton Says She Turned Down Presidential Medal Of Freedom Twice - NPR - February 2nd, 2021
- Rob Gronkowski: I have freedom to be myself in Tampa Bay - WEEI - February 2nd, 2021
- Dont fear educational freedom, fear force - The Daily Breeze - February 2nd, 2021
- The Imperative of Integration - Stages of Freedom to Host Conversation With Philosopher Anderson - GoLocalProv - February 2nd, 2021
- Firebrand Roots Contrast Legislative Hopes as the Texas Freedom Caucus Enters Third Session - The Texan - February 2nd, 2021
- Watch out Pete! Guess who's the target of a snowball fight in New Freedom - WBAL TV Baltimore - February 2nd, 2021
- Kathmandu's HR lead on flexibility, freedom and the great outdoors - Human Resources Director - February 2nd, 2021
- Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene says freedom is 'earned with the price of blood' in newly-resurfaced video - The Week - February 2nd, 2021
- Ivermectin court ruling hailed as 'breakthrough for healthcare freedom in Covid-19 battle' - IOL - February 2nd, 2021
- CNN proves the left doesnt believe in freedom of speech, only freedom of reach as media targeted in wake of Capitol riot - RT - February 2nd, 2021
- Rob Gronkowski likes the freedom of being yourself in Tampa - NBC Sports - January 31st, 2021
- Feb. 1 marks National Freedom Day, observing the end of slavery - FOX 2 Detroit - January 31st, 2021
- Jimmie Allen Yearns For Better Days With Brad Paisley Duet "Freedom Was a Highway" - CMT.com - January 31st, 2021
- Jimmie Allen and Brad Paisley Cruise on Freedom Was a Highway - Sounds Like Nashville - January 31st, 2021
- Britain Upholding 'Freedom and Autonomy' With New HK Visas - VOA Asia - January 31st, 2021
- LETTERS: Freedom of the Press | Opinion | stwnewspress.com - Stillwater News Press - January 31st, 2021
- Social media platforms and freedom of expression | Daily Sabah - Daily Sabah - January 31st, 2021
- Olympic and Paralympic Sponsors Must Protect Athletes' Rights to Freedom of Expression - Around the Rings - January 31st, 2021
- Denmark urged to respect religious freedom - The Lutheran World Federation - January 31st, 2021
- Caladrius Biosciences Treats First Patient in the Phase 2b FREEDOM Trial of CLBS16 for the Treatment of Coronary Microvascular Dysfunction - Cath Lab... - January 31st, 2021
- Marjorie Taylor Greene Warned That Freedom Comes With 'Price of Blood' in Pre-Election Vid - The Daily Beast - January 31st, 2021
- Brad Paisley Joins Jimmie Allen on New Single 'Freedom Was a Highway' - PopCulture.com - January 31st, 2021
- routine and a return to freedom! (by Pedro Felner) - haveeruonline - January 31st, 2021
- How Trump cheapened the Presidential Medal of Freedom - Los Angeles Times - January 17th, 2021
- Ridgefield Letter to the Editor: Freedom of Speech - HamletHub - January 17th, 2021
- In a Shocker, Bill Belichick Spurns Trumps Medal of Freedom - The Nation - January 17th, 2021
- Intuit's Greg Johnson crafts strategy beyond TurboTax, aims to helps consumers gain financial freedom - The San Diego Union-Tribune - January 17th, 2021
- We Can't Have Religious Freedom Without Reproductive Freedom - Religion Dispatches - January 17th, 2021
- Freedom wont survive a world where every lethal virus triggers another lockdown - Telegraph.co.uk - January 17th, 2021
- COVID-19 And The Decline Of Global Civic Freedom - The Organization for World Peace - January 17th, 2021
- New legislation could see universities forced to protect freedom of speech - Express - January 17th, 2021
- Silicon Valley and Its Unique Challenge to Freedom of Speech - White House Chronicle - January 17th, 2021
- 'Enjoy the Freedom': Orphaned Kangaroos Return to the Wild After Release by Animal Sanctuary - Yahoo News - January 17th, 2021
- Social media 'censorship' and freedom of speech | Columns - The Mountaineer - January 17th, 2021
- Big Tech declares war: 'Woke capitalism instead of freedom' - Washington Times - January 17th, 2021
- Social media and 'free speech': Is it time for government regulations? - Milford Daily News - January 17th, 2021
- Covid-19 and the long road to freedom - RTE.ie - January 17th, 2021
- Freedom tries to shake off shutdown rust in win over Ellwood City - The Times - January 15th, 2021
- Revolution Brewing Reveals Freedom Variety 12-Pack of Session Sours - Brewbound.com - January 15th, 2021
- Poland drafts internet freedom of speech bill - The First News - January 15th, 2021
- EDITORIAL: The Inconvenient Truth About 'Freedom of the Press' - Pagosa Daily Post - January 15th, 2021
- Liberty is perverted when 'freedom' and 'individualism' mean ignoring facts and science - Norwich Bulletin - January 15th, 2021
- Opinion: With freedom comes responsibility and that applies to wearing masks - The Colorado Sun - January 15th, 2021
- About That Presidential Medal of Freedom: Revisiting the Nunes Memo - Lawfare - January 15th, 2021
- Grace Farms and Herman Miller launch face masks to support eradicating slavery in the built environment - The Architect's Newspaper - January 15th, 2021
- Trump, tech and TV have throttled press freedom, journalists say - Reuters - January 15th, 2021
- Statement of NewsOne TV channel on National Council's interference into freedom of thought - 112 International - January 15th, 2021
- Indonesia's Repression Hasn't Broken the West Papuan Freedom Struggle - Jacobin magazine - January 15th, 2021
- Freedom of association and the Big Tech purge - The Boston Globe - January 15th, 2021
- Guest opinion: Freedom and democracy come with corresponding duties - Daily Herald - January 15th, 2021