Taiwan electronics manufacturer Foxconn is drastically scaling back a planned $10 billion factory in Wisconsin, confirming its retreat from a project that former U.S. President Donald Trump once called "the eighth wonder of the world."
Under a deal with the state of Wisconsin announced on Tuesday, Foxconn will reduce its planned investment to $672 million from $10 billion and cut the number of new jobs to 1,454 from 13,000.
The Foxconn-Wisconsin deal was first announced to great fanfare at the White House in July 2017, with Trump boasting of it as an example of how his "America first" agenda could revive U.S. tech manufacturing.
For Foxconn, the investment promise was an opportunity for its charismatic founder and then-chairman, Terry Gou, to build goodwill at a moment when Trump's trade policies threatened the company's cash cow: building Apple Inc's iPhones in China for export to America.
Foxconn, the world's largest contract manufacturer of electronic devices, proposed a 20-million-square-foot manufacturing campus in Wisconsin that would have been the largest investment in U.S. history for a new location by a foreign-based company.
It was supposed to build cutting-edge flat-panel display screens for TVs and other devices and instantly establish Wisconsin as a destination for tech firms.
But industry executives, including some at Foxconn, were highly skeptical of the plan from the start, pointing out that none of the crucial suppliers needed for flat-panel display production were located anywhere near Wisconsin.
The plan faced local opposition too, with critics denouncing a taxpayer giveaway to a foreign company and provisions of the deal that granted extensive water rights and allowed for the acquisition and demolition of houses through eminent domain.
As of 2019, the village where the plant is located had paid just over $152 million for 132 properties to make way for Foxconn, plus $7.9 million in relocation costs, according to village records obtained by Wisconsin Public Radio and analyzed by Wisconsin Watch.
Foxconn, formally called Hon Hai Precision Industry Co Ltd, said the new agreement gives it "flexibility to pursue business opportunities in response to changing global market conditions." The company said "original projections used during negotiations in 2017 have at this time changed due to unanticipated market fluctuations."
After abandoning its plans for advanced displays, Foxconn later said it would build smaller, earlier-generation displays in Wisconsin, but that plan never came to fruition either. (https://www.reuters.com/article/us-foxconn-wisconsin-exclusive/exclusive-foxconn-reconsidering-plans-to-make-lcd-panels-at-wisconsin-plant-idUSKCN1PO0FV)
Prior to Tuesday's announcement, Foxconn Chairman Liu Young-way told reporters in Taipei that the company currently makes servers, communications technology products and medical devices in Wisconsin, adding that electric vehicles (EVs) have a "promising future" there. He did not elaborate.
Liu had previously said the infrastructure was there in Wisconsin to make EVs because of its proximity to the traditional heartland of U.S. automaking, but the company could also could decide on Mexico.
Hon Hai shares fell as much as 1.6% on Wednesday morning, underperforming the broader Taiwan market which was down 0.7%.
Wisconsin Governor Tony Evers said the new agreement will save Wisconsin taxpayers "a total of $2.77 billion compared to the previous contract, maintain accountability measures requiring job creation to receive incentives, and protect hundreds of millions of dollars in local and state infrastructure investments made in support of the project."
Evers said under the deal negotiated between the Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation and Foxconn, the Taiwan company is eligible to receive up to $80 million in performance-based tax credits over six years if it meets employment and capital investment targets. He stressed that the incentives were in line with those available to any company.
The state will reduce the tax credits authorized for the project to $80 million from $2.85 billion.
The original Wisconsin package also included local tax incentives and road and highway investments by state and local governments, which brought total taxpayer-funded subsidies to more than $4 billion.
Foxconn noted that since 2017, it has invested $900 million in Wisconsin, including several different facilities in the state.
- Of Course Trump Tried to Get the Justice Department to Stop SNL From Making Fun of Him - Vanity Fair - June 24th, 2021
- Pence May Finally Be Ready to Strike Back Against Trump - Business Insider - June 24th, 2021
- Inside the extraordinary effort to save Trump from COVID-19 - Anchorage Daily News - June 24th, 2021
- Gov. Greg Abbott, former President Donald Trump react to VP Harris visit to border - KEYE TV CBS Austin - June 24th, 2021
- Is banning Trump from Facebook a First Amendment issue? Clarence Thomas, other conservatives say it is - USA TODAY - June 24th, 2021
- Analysis: Texas Gov. Greg Abbott already has the one endorsement he needs - The Texas Tribune - June 24th, 2021
- 'We'll All Be Dead by June': Scenes from Trump's COVID and George Floyd Response, According to New Books - PEOPLE - June 24th, 2021
- Facebook says Donald Trump to remain banned for two years, effective from Jan. 7 - CNBC - June 6th, 2021
- No, Donald Trump didnt win Texas by a lot in 2020; it was among the worst GOP victory margins in decades - The Dallas Morning News - June 6th, 2021
- Did Donald Trump Wear His Pants Backwards? Kris Kross Memes Have Already Begun - Yahoo Entertainment - June 6th, 2021
- The Confusing Law That Could Shape Trumps Legal Fate - POLITICO - June 6th, 2021
- Republicans fear Trump will lead to a lost generation of talent - POLITICO - June 6th, 2021
- Matt Gaetz, Donald Trump and why obstruction of justice matters - MSNBC - June 6th, 2021
- Donald Trump Jr. joins Cameo | TheHill - The Hill - June 6th, 2021
- Don McGahn's Testimony Could Finally Break Donald Trump's Ability to Evade the Law - The New Republic - June 6th, 2021
- Donald Trump's new blog crashed after he posted an unverified claim about election fraud in Arizona - Business Insider - May 20th, 2021
- What we know about investigations looming over Donald Trump and Trump Organization - USA TODAY - May 20th, 2021
- Donald Trump, coronavirus news & more: Whats trending today - cleveland.com - May 20th, 2021
- Donald Trump flies north for the summer to New Jersey golf club - The Guardian - May 20th, 2021
- Donald Trump Is An Exemplary Tenant, Says His Washington D.C. Landlord - Forbes - May 20th, 2021
- Joe Biden proves an elusive target for Republicans. After Cheney fight, their focus is back on the president - USA TODAY - May 20th, 2021
- Donald Trump Bashes 2020 Presidential Election As 'Crime Of The Century' - HuffPost - May 20th, 2021
- Does Donald Trump Know He Could Be Arrested This Year? - Yahoo Entertainment - May 20th, 2021
- Trumps Social Media Magic Appears to Be Wearing Off - Vanity Fair - May 11th, 2021
- Bennet Wants White House Review Of Trump's Decision To Move Space Command Away From Colorado Springs - Colorado Public Radio - May 11th, 2021
- Mike Pence looks at the 2024 presidential race but sees Donald Trump everywhere - South Bend Tribune - May 11th, 2021
- Glaring Problem With GOP's Trump Obsession. He Doesn't Need Them Anymore - Business Insider - May 11th, 2021
- Is there a Snapple Fact that says that Donald Trump lost? Lid tweet goes viral! - HITC - Football, Gaming, Movies, TV, Music - May 11th, 2021
- The Truth About Melania And Donald Trump's Relationship Today - Nicki Swift - May 11th, 2021
- Donald Trump returns to social media with glorified blog ... - May 9th, 2021
- What will Facebooks ban mean for Donald Trumps future? - Brookings Institution - May 9th, 2021
- Murphy gliding in NJ's primary; GOP wrestling with Trump - Associated Press - May 9th, 2021
- Trump wouldn't be the first ex-president to run again but he might be the last - Salon - May 9th, 2021
- Caitlyn Jenner praises Donald Trump and says she's in favor of building 'the wall' in Sean Hannity interview - Business Insider - May 9th, 2021
- Republicans cry big tech bias on the very platforms they have dominated - The Guardian - May 9th, 2021
- Letters to the editor: Doctor against medical marijuana; readers address Donald Trump's lie, Medicaid expansion - The Topeka Capital-Journal - May 9th, 2021
- Donald Trump's Adult Children Are Still Costing Taxpayers Thousands Of Dollars A Day - HuffPost - May 7th, 2021
- Donald Trump, Facing $590 Million in Debt Payments, Gets ... - May 4th, 2021
- Ted Cruz and Donald Trump Jr. mocked a new CIA recruitment ad in which a staffer identified as a millennial with anxiety - Yahoo News - May 4th, 2021
- Trump launches 'From the desk of Donald J. Trump' as potential Facebook ban looms - USA TODAY - May 4th, 2021
- Opinion | Tucker Carlson Is the New Donald Trump - The New York Times - May 4th, 2021
- Donald Trump relocating to New Jersey to jumpstart ... - April 29th, 2021
- Trumps Battle to Win the First 100 Days - POLITICO - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump makes late push for Susan Wright in special election to fill her late husband's U.S. House seat - The Texas Tribune - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump Seizes On Low Oscars Ratings To Bash Telecast: Dont Be So Politically Correct And Boring - Deadline - April 29th, 2021
- Trump allies fear his 2024 indecision is blowing chance to 'control' GOP: CNN - Business Insider - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump believes he would be on Mount Rushmore if he were a Democrat - Yahoo News - April 29th, 2021
- Its been exactly one year since Trump suggested injecting bleach. Weve never been the same. - POLITICO - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump is turning Arizona into the Area 51 of politics - The Arizona Republic - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump Believes He Would Be On Mount Rushmore If He Ran As A Democrat - OK! - April 29th, 2021
- Trump was pitched on founding a $15 billion 'conservative media powerhouse' called Trump Media Group - Business Insider - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump May Be Returning To Bedminster This Summer: Report - Patch.com - April 29th, 2021
- Court will hear case against Trump on JEDI - FCW.com - April 29th, 2021
- The 1990s card game that predicted 9/11, Donald Trump, Covid and the Capitol riot - Yahoo News - April 29th, 2021
- John McCain's Widow Cindy Blasts Donald Trump As A 'Snake Oil Salesman,' Says He Turned The Republican Party Into A 'Disgrace' - OK! - April 29th, 2021
- Did former President Donald Trump get the COVID vaccine ... - April 27th, 2021
- What happened during the Jan. 6 call between Donald Trump and Kevin McCarthy? - PolitiFact - April 27th, 2021
- Susan Wright endorsed by Donald Trump in Texas congressional election - The Texas Tribune - April 27th, 2021
- Hes Going to Say My Name - Slate - April 27th, 2021
- 'He Has Never Spoken The Truth': Twitter Erupts After Donald Trump Claims Wife Melania Never Had Plastic Surgery - OK! - April 27th, 2021
- Trump ally Collins won't run for Senate or Georgia governor - The Associated Press - April 27th, 2021
- Podcast Corner: The Line looks at the actions in Iraq of Donald Trump's favourite Navy Seal - Irish Examiner - April 27th, 2021
- Rachel Maddow Can't Believe Even Lysol Had To Set The World Straight On Donald Trump - HuffPost - April 27th, 2021
- GOP committee ousts treasurer after he admitted to not voting for Trump - Fox17 - April 27th, 2021
- Trump gives thumbs up on Posts push for lifesaving COVID vaccine - New York Post - April 27th, 2021
- Will Donald Trump run for president again, win in 2024? Bet on it - Las Vegas Review-Journal - April 25th, 2021
- Opinion: Donald Trump blazed a trail that clears the way for Joe Biden - Bangor Daily News - April 25th, 2021
- Donald Trump savagely mocked on Twitter over claims Melania had no work done Lying - Daily Express - April 25th, 2021
- Madam Speaker review: how Nancy Pelosi bested Bush and Trump - The Guardian - April 25th, 2021
- People are climbing over Trumps $15 billion border wall with $5 ladders - Business Insider - April 25th, 2021
- Could Donald Trump Jrs crass Die Hard meme on policing inadvertently encourage reform? - The Independent - April 25th, 2021
- National View: Trump loves rallies; so why aren't they all part of the historical record? - Duluth News Tribune - April 25th, 2021
- Letters to the editor: Readers defend the filibuster, call out Donald Trump and show appreciation to volunteers - The Topeka Capital-Journal - April 25th, 2021
- Defeat for Donald Trump and the Republicans: The following lawsuit is dropped - Prudent Press Agency - April 21st, 2021
- Donald Trump is ditching the spray tan, M&M's, and even ... - April 21st, 2021
- 'Beyond seriously:' Donald Trump (again) teases another presidential run in 2024 - USA TODAY - April 21st, 2021
- Will Bill Barr Spill the Beans on Donald Trump? - Vanity Fair - April 21st, 2021
- Letter to the Editor: Americans, stand up against Donald Trump - Canton Repository - April 21st, 2021
- "If Biden Wants To Keep Our Country Safe...": Trump's Advice To Successor - NDTV - April 21st, 2021
- Trump slams Biden over withdrawing troops from Afghanistan on September 11 - Boston Herald - April 21st, 2021