The UCP government has launched its $90-million tax credit for companies to make their movies in Alberta.
Its a program that has meet with scorn from the Canadian Taxpayers Federation.
Maxing out at $10 million a movie, the Film and Television Tax Creditprogram will give productions a refundable tax credit to help cover Alberta production and labour costs
Applicants may be eligible for either a 22 per cent or 30 per cent tax credit for productions that are Alberta owned, the government said in a Wednesday release.
We want our province to be a destination that attracts talent, investment and business from across Canada and around the globe. This credit, combined with our low tax environment and breathtaking landscapes, makes Alberta an attractive destination for big-budget television and film projects that inject millions into our economy and create jobs for Albertans, said Minister of Economic Development and Tourism Tanya Fir.
The tax credit has already met with some corporate approval.
Disney has a long history of creating content in Alberta. We are pleased to see that the Alberta government is launching a film and television tax credit and we look forward to working with them to continue to create stunning content using Albertas landscapes and crews. said MaryAnn Hughes, vice president, production and investment planning for the Walt Disney Company. Her statement was provided within in the government release.
But Franco Terrazzano, Alberta director of the CTA, said Wednesday Premier Jason Kenney has better things to spend taxpayers money on.
Jason Kenney has a $70-billion debt to deal with. Why is Minister Fir running around playing investment banker risking taxpayers money, Terrazzano told the Western Standard.
Stop it with this nonsense. The government has to get out of the business of being in business.
The governments has pledged to grow Albertas cultural industries by 25 per cent over the next decade.
The previous NDP government had capped their provincial film grant program at $7.5-million.
The UCP budget in October said new money for film tax credits will be $15 million in the 2020-21 fiscal year, $30 million in 2021-22 and $45 million in 2022-23.
Some Alberta film produces are worried $90 million over four years isnt nearly enough.
Every year, Alberta graduates more than 3,000 creative industry professionals from its post-secondary institutions. According to industry estimates, more than 3,200 Albertans are employed in the provinces motion picture and video industry. According to Statistics Canada data: Every $1 million of production activity in the screen-based production sector creates about 13 Alberta jobs. Every $1 million of government investment under the Film and Television Tax Credit program is expected to support about 60 Alberta jobs.
Facts from the Alberta government
Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard
Read this article:
- USAGM CEO Criticized Over Move to Rescind Firewall Regulation - Voice of America - October 27th, 2020
- Chile Reborn: Overturning Chile's neoliberal constitution - ABC News - October 27th, 2020
- New consumers driven to the RVing lifestyle fuel solid growth for Winnebago - Minneapolis Star Tribune - October 27th, 2020
- More Aid Needed for Chin Christian IDPs and Refugees - International Christian Concern - October 27th, 2020
- Chile Will not Turn into a Developed Nation If It Would not Change Course - The Shepherd of the Hills Gazette - October 27th, 2020
- US Coast Guard will increase presence in the Pacific to contain the threat of China's IUU fishing - MercoPress - October 27th, 2020
- Bill Owens: Confounding And Confusing Events 10/26/20 - WAMC - October 27th, 2020
- The Pitfalls of US-China Decoupling and Dangers of the New Cold War - Nippon.com - October 27th, 2020
- Is It Portugal's Turn to Gain 'Freedom' From Angola? - OZY - September 28th, 2020
- Edinburgh thug who shouted freedom before smashing bouncer over head with metal pole ordered to pay com - The Scottish Sun - September 28th, 2020
- These Are The Pentagon's Highly Questionable Proposals For A Navy With More Than 500 Ships - The Drive - September 28th, 2020
- Governments Continue to Undermine Right to Information Under Cover of COVID-19 - Balkan Insight - September 28th, 2020
- Akalis divorce BJP: Despite national dominance, BJP needs a strong NDA for governance and cutting political ri - The Times of India Blog - September 28th, 2020
- Is mail theft surging in the U.S.? Postal Service inspectors don't know - NBC News - September 28th, 2020
- Letters to the Editor: Five reasons why the PLP will win - EyeWitness News - September 28th, 2020
- Georgia advanced to 8th position in world economic freedom ranking - The FINANCIAL - September 18th, 2020
- Govt to allow private railways to set their own fares: Railway Board chief - Mint - September 18th, 2020
- Comparing Trump and Biden's K-12 Education Plans - AAF - American Action Forum - September 18th, 2020
- Why Cash-Strapped Towns Are Suing Streaming Giants - Hollywood Reporter - September 18th, 2020
- What you need to know from Wednesday night's Delaware County Council forum - The Star Press - September 18th, 2020
- Love the Market You Fear the Most - Stock Investor - September 18th, 2020
- Papa John's Announces Plans for New Global Headquarters in Atlanta Area to Accelerate Long-Term Growth and Innovation - Business Wire - September 18th, 2020
- What It's Like To Be Held By ICE During The COVID-19 Pandemic - HuffPost - September 18th, 2020
- Californias proposal for its own CFPB is back on track - HousingWire - August 19th, 2020
- KAY COLES JAMES: Why Reagans call to conservatism needs to be heard again today - SCNow - August 19th, 2020
- COVID-19 And The Presidential Election Impacting Economic Outlook - WAMC - August 19th, 2020
- 'COVID has reduced to tatters the illusion of American exceptionalism,' says anthropologist in Rolling Stone op-ed - MarketWatch - August 19th, 2020
- Can we create the SA we want to live in after Covid-19? - Business Day - August 19th, 2020
- Freedom and power: Autonomy for state electricity regulatory commissions can be the harbinger of big change - The Times of India Blog - August 17th, 2020
- Leidos UK appoints new Managing Director of National Security and Defence - PR Newswire UK - August 17th, 2020
- The Great Rural Hope - Forbes India - August 17th, 2020
- YOUR VIEWS: Letters to the Editor, Aug. 16 - Opinion - Utica Observer Dispatch - August 17th, 2020
- More freedom to banks, further rate cut not ruled out: 10 key takeaways from policy meet - Economic Times - August 17th, 2020
- The right to freedom of movement in the City of lights - Daily Times - August 17th, 2020
- Why Reagan's Call to Conservatism Needs to Be Heard Again Today - Heritage.org - August 17th, 2020
- Pandemic Recovery: The Wars of Our Times - Modern Diplomacy - August 17th, 2020
- PM Fasal Bima Yojana needs a relook, as many States are opting out of it - BusinessLine - August 17th, 2020
- California could cut its prison population in half and free 50,000 people. Amid pandemic, will the state act? - San Francisco Chronicle - August 17th, 2020
- What to Know in Washington: Stimulus Talks Stuck in $1T Ditch - Bloomberg Government - August 17th, 2020
- In apparent U-turn, Trump tweets photo of himself wearing a mask: 'Many people say that it is Patriotic to wear a face mask' - MSN Money - July 21st, 2020
- Hong Kong is Freer Than You Think - TIME - July 21st, 2020
- Death and Your Federal Government - AAF - American Action Forum - July 21st, 2020
- Trump tweets photo of himself wearing a mask in apparent U-turn: Many people say that it is Patriotic to wear a face mask - MarketWatch - July 21st, 2020
- PFC awards: don't wing it - BR Research - Business Recorder - July 21st, 2020
- Remember These Headlines? - Highlands Current - July 5th, 2020
- Peril of face recognition tech: Facing the end of freedom, one face at a time. Supreme Court must intervene - Times of India - July 5th, 2020
- Navy Will Mothball Its First Four Littoral Combat Ships In Nine Months If Congress Lets It - The Drive - July 5th, 2020
- West Virginia Week in Review - July 4, 2020 - West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources - July 5th, 2020
- Higher gas taxes, other tax increases to greet Virginians on Wednesday - The Center Square - July 5th, 2020
- Controversial school immunization bill signed into law - BerthoudSurveyor.com - July 5th, 2020
- Defunding The Police Has Traction In Dallas, But What's On The Table? - KERA News - July 5th, 2020
- Ready, set, go! Early voting starts this week - East Valley Tribune - July 5th, 2020
- NSWC Dahlgren Division mathematician wins three awards for innovation impacting high performance computing - fredericksburg.today - July 5th, 2020
- Iceland Reopening With Its Economic Freedom Largely Intact - Daily Signal - June 24th, 2020
- Tips and Murmurs: is the Collaery case about to open up? - Crikey - June 24th, 2020
- Around Town: WWII Museum offers Victory Six Swing Band July 2 - Journal Record - June 24th, 2020
- In CA: The mask argument continues; schools jump into the debate on racism and policing - USA TODAY - June 24th, 2020
- Rep. Dina Titus urges Appropriations Committee to block Trump Administration from conducting explosive nuclear testing in Nevada - KLAS - 8 News Now - June 24th, 2020
- Everything To Know About The H-1B Visa That Has Been Suspended Till The End Of 2020 - ScoopWhoop - June 24th, 2020
- White Jews fled to the suburbs. Here's why that matters today. - The Jewish News of Northern California - June 24th, 2020
- GOP members of House Foreign Affairs Committee urge Trump to reconsider US troop withdrawal from Germany - Washington Examiner - June 24th, 2020
- Two thousand march with call to defund police; Council's $4.1M order was a 'drop in the bucket' - Cambridge Day - June 24th, 2020
- Quebec To Introduce The Most Punitive Privacy Laws In Canada - With Fines Of Up To $25 Million - Privacy - Canada - Mondaq News Alerts - June 24th, 2020
- For one Iraqi refugee, Columbus finally feels like home this World Refugee Day - The Columbus Dispatch - June 20th, 2020
- Troy H. Middleton's name to be removed from LSU's main library - Greater Baton Rouge Business Report - June 20th, 2020
- 'This is amazing,' says mayor as Iowa City Council passes resolution to restructure ICPD and address other demands of the Iowa Freedom Riders - Little... - June 20th, 2020
- Salomone: Juneteenth and Today - Greenwich Free Press - June 20th, 2020
- Latest Texas news, sports, business and entertainment at 9:20 pm CDT - KBTX - June 20th, 2020
- Dear Tito: Heres where to cut tax, make grants to save SA. MUST READ! #budget - BizNews - June 20th, 2020
- Debt settlement: An effective way of reducing debt - AZ Big Media - June 13th, 2020
- Strengthening our armed forces - The Highland County Press - June 13th, 2020
- Defunding the Police Is Not Nearly Enough - New York Magazine - June 13th, 2020
- Advocates Push To "Defund The Police" While Officials Call For Reforms - WVXU - June 13th, 2020
- Burrows disappointed with sports budget cuts EyeWitness News - EyeWitness News - June 13th, 2020
- Over $722,000 awarded to protect and improve Florida military installations - Florida Politics - June 13th, 2020
- Global Perspective: As US, China lock horns, Japan, others must think about ways ahead - The Mainichi - June 13th, 2020
- Golf course move on Caven Point is obscene; Honor the flag | Letters - nj.com - June 13th, 2020
- The return of the tea party | News, Sports, Jobs - Minot Daily News - June 13th, 2020
- PM Modi says command and control regime over, lets plug and play - Hindustan Times - June 13th, 2020
- June 12: She clearly does not understand what it is. Readers react to RCMP head disputing systemic racism, plus other letters to the editor - The... - June 13th, 2020