People with treatment-resistant depression have been driving from Salem to Tigard for their special therapy sessions. In August, they can skip the long trip and get the care they need in south Salem.
Dr. Jonathan Horey, cofounder and chief medical officer, Active Recovery TMS. (Submitted photo)
People with depression that isnt easily treated soon won't have to drive for hours to access an innovative, FDA-approved therapy option.
On Aug. 3, Active Recovery TMS will open a new clinic in south Salem.
The Boulder Creek Clinic, located at 2525 12th St. S.E., will treat up to 40 patients per day when running at full capacity.
Active Recovery TMS currently has locations in Hillsboro, Portland and Tigard. Dr. Jonathan Horey, cofounder and chief medical officer, said Salem has long needed such a treatment facility. He noticed Salem patients driving to his Tigard location for care.
"Treatment is five days per week, and while each session lasts only 20 minutes, you have to drive there no matter how long the treatment sessions last," he said. "Our main motivation is to offer the treatment to those that don't have access yet."
TMS, or transcranial magnetic stimulation, was FDA approved for treatment-resistant depression in 2008. Medicare, Medicaid, and almost all commercial insurance plans cover TMS for major depressive disorder.
Even so, it's difficult for people with depression to find help in Oregon, Horey said.
Horey started Active Recovery with his brother in 2017, when he couldn't find a provider for a patient struggling with longstanding depression. His patient had tried 12 different medications, and he worked with Horey in weekly therapy sessions for three years with no improvement.
Horey wanted to help, and a business was born.
"He was my motivation to start this business," Horey said. "I didn't expect it to turn into this, but I'm really glad it has. It's been really nice to see what a great option it's been for people."
TMS uses electromagnetic pulses to stimulate the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex, located on the left side of the head, right beneath the skull.
"That area of the brain has been shown to be less active in people with depression. So the idea with TMS is that we're trying to wake that area up and get it functioning the way it should. And once it's functioning, you don't need stimulation to keep it going," Horey said.
Treatment starts with an hour-long mapping session. Detailed notes guide future sessions, so technicians know just where to place the equipment, how much power to use, and how long each session should last. Weekly touchup sessions with doctors ensure that the therapy stays on track.
Therapy sessions don't hurt, Horey said, but they can be uncomfortable.
"What I always tell people is that I've tried it myself, because I wanted to see what it felt like. The best way I can describe it is 'strange.' It's a strange feeling but it's not painful. If it's painful, we can adjust it so it's not," he said.
Electromagnetic pulses can cause scalp muscles to twitch. Patients sometimes feel like they're being tapped on the head by an invisible hand, and some start to panic at the sensation. But most get used to it.
"I can count on one hand the number of patients that just couldn't tolerate it, and we've treated close to 300 now," he said.
TMS sessions compliment, but don't replace, conventional depression treatments such as therapy and medication.
Conventional treatments, including counseling, won't be available at the Salem clinic for now.
"The reason we've done that is that we want to offer this therapy as a way of helping providers and patients. We pride ourselves on working closely with providers. We're in regular communication with them, and we're just supplementing their meds and the therapy they're using," he said.
Horey said his patients often benefit from his treatment sessions. Most feel better in about three to five weeks. And most complete their TMS therapy in about nine weeks.
"The great thing about TMS is that we're treating people that have not had any success with those therapies. They've gone years feeling badly," he said. "To help them feel better in the course of six to eight weeks is, I hate to say miraculous, as it seems dramatic, but to them it certainly seems that way."
He said determining the success of his treatments is easier during the pandemic. When his patients report improvement, he's more likely to believe them.
"If you can feel really good during this time, with everything going on in the world, I'm pretty confident that you're getting better," he said.
Horey said he understands that some patients are leery of starting a new treatment during the current Covid outbreak.
"It's very hard for people right now, during a pandemic, to make decisions about what's most important. 'Do I stay inside and not expose myself to Covid, or do I get treated for mental health?' I would say those are not mutually exclusive," he said. "I would encourage people not to neglect their mental health."
The Salem staff will wear masks and gloves for appointments. All equipment will be sterilized between patients. And temperature checks will be performed before entry. Social distancing guidelines will be followed, too.
To make an appointment, call (503) 683-8438. No referrals are required.
Contact Salem Reporter with a news tip, story idea or question by email at [emailprotected]
SUPPORT ESSENTIAL REPORTING FOR SALEM- A subscription starts at $5 a month for around-the-clock access to stories and email alerts sent directly to you.Your support matters.GoHERE.
- Trade finance technology: New funding to help BuyCo link TMS with trade finance - JOC.com - February 22nd, 2021
- Reimagining the TMS for the age of e-commerce - DC Velocity - February 22nd, 2021
- Extreme weather postpones season opening TMS Dirt Track event - Speedway Digest - February 22nd, 2021
- Research Moz Releases New Report on the TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market 2021-2030 NY Market Reports - NY Market Reports - February 22nd, 2021
- Real-time Truckload Rates from Estes Forwarding Worldwide (EFW) Available to More than 25,000 Shippers in Kuebix - PRNewswire - February 22nd, 2021
- Jujutsu Kaisen Chat With Ray Chase, Voice of Sukuna - The Mary Sue - February 22nd, 2021
- Emerging Neuromodulation Technologies Enabling Growth Opportunities in Mental Health Care - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - February 22nd, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market Analysis Of Trends, Demand And Competition 2021-2026 | Neuronetics, Yiruide, Brainsway, Neurosoft,... - February 22nd, 2021
- Small Fleets Drive EKA Cloud-Based TMS Growth - Heavy Duty Trucking - February 12th, 2021
- DAT and Axele Announce Partnership to Expand Load Board and TMS Integration - SupplyChainBrain - February 12th, 2021
- Hodge enjoys showing TMS students how history connects to their lives - The Thomasville Times - February 12th, 2021
- Denton County cancels Thursdays vaccination clinic at Texas Motor Speedway due to weather - The Dallas Morning News - February 12th, 2021
- Covid-19 impact on High-intensity Focused Ultrasound (HIFU) Treatment Market Key Vendors, Regional Analysis and Competitive Landscape Forecast by... - February 12th, 2021
- Birds of Prey Director Cathy Yan on Her Debut Film Dead Pigs - The Mary Sue - February 12th, 2021
- Real-time pricing vs. spot pricing: Whats the difference? - FreightWaves - February 12th, 2021
- Significant' High Court backing for adjudication in construction - Law Society of Ireland Gazette - February 12th, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market 2021 Analysis, Industry Size, Share Leaders, Current Status by Major vendors and Trends by Forecast to... - February 12th, 2021
- Neuro Wellness TMS Centers of America In Coral Springs Offers Breakthrough Treatment Of Depression, Anxiety, and Other Disorders - TAPinto.net - February 6th, 2021
- Pandemic spurs scientists to look closer at an experimental treatment for severe depression - CTV News - February 6th, 2021
- 40% of TMS teachers are vaccinated - Saipan Tribune - February 6th, 2021
- Axele hits outstanding milestone of 10000 loads since introduction less than 90 says ago - American Journal of Transportation - February 6th, 2021
- Best Comprehensive Report on Treasury Management System (TMS) Market 2021-2027| Cisco, Everbridge, HPE (Aruba), Cloud4Wi, Signify (Philips), CARTO ... - February 6th, 2021
- New Dawn TMS Psychiatry with Their FDA Approved TMS Therapy Offers Holistic Psychiatric Care - Press Release - Digital Journal - February 6th, 2021
- The New World of Logistics - PRNewswire - February 6th, 2021
- MEGALOBOX 2: NOMAD to Premiere in April 2021 on TOKYO MX & BS11 - Business Wire - February 6th, 2021
- Across Systems' Gerd Janiszewski on Selling the TMS Provider to Volaris Group - Slator - January 29th, 2021
- Global Transportation Management System Market Report 2021: Opportunities in the Increasing Adoption of Cloud-Based Technology and Industry 4.0 -... - January 29th, 2021
- Axele Hits Outstanding Milestone of 10000 Loads Since Introduction Less Than 90 Days Ago - CSCMP's Supply Chain Quarterly - January 29th, 2021
- He's Been Fighting To Improve Mental Health Service In Coral Springs And Across The Nation - TAPinto.net - January 29th, 2021
- Global Treasury Management System (TMS) Market Detailed analysis of current Industry figures with forecasts growth by 2028 | Top Players; Oracle,... - January 29th, 2021
- Transfix Launches TrueView TMS, Offering Shippers Flexible, Consistent Capacity And Reducing Time To Tender By Up To 92% - PR Web - January 19th, 2021
- Agnew's dressing gown and Bumble's dog: it's TMS and Sky Cricket, but not as we know it - Telegraph.co.uk - January 19th, 2021
- Greenbrook TMS Provides Update on Share Consolidation and Appointment of Stephan Roker to the Board - Yahoo Finance - January 19th, 2021
- Part two: FX and hedging for SMEs - between a rock and a hard place - Finextra - January 19th, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market Size By Analysis, Key Vendors, Regions, Type and Application, and Forecasts to 2027 - NeighborWebSJ - January 19th, 2021
- TMS Neuronavigation Systems Market Size By Analysis, Key Vendors, Regions, Type and Application, and Forecasts to 2027 - NeighborWebSJ - January 19th, 2021
- Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Industry 2020 Includes The Major Application Segments And Size In The Global Market To 2027 - NeighborWebSJ - January 19th, 2021
- Tire Mold Market 2021 financial overview of the Players such as Saehwa IMC, SeYoung TMS, King Machine, HERBERT Maschinen, Shinko Mold Industrial - KSU... - January 19th, 2021
- EnviroChill Saves Bakery from Food Disaster with New Technology - Press Release - Digital Journal - January 19th, 2021
- Lady Bulldogs Undefeated in Region Play - All On Georgia - January 19th, 2021
- Neuro Wellness TMS Centers of America in Coral Springs: There Is Relief For Depression - TAPinto.net - January 17th, 2021
- Greenbrook TMS Provides Update on Share Consolidation and Appointment of Stephan Roker to the Board - Business Wire - January 17th, 2021
- Dry Well Calibrators Market | Industry Insight 2021-2026 Covered players: Fluke, Wika Instrumentation, TMS, Electronic Development Laboratories, OMEGA... - January 17th, 2021
- Treating Major Depressive Disorder: A Lesson through the Ages - News & Features - January 5th, 2021
- Digital Piano Market 2021 to 2026 Insights & Forecast with COVID-19 Impact | Yamaha , Long Beach Music , Hamzer , Casio , TMS , and more |... - January 5th, 2021
- Technology Enhancements to the QuantaVerse Financial Crime Platform Extend its Lead in AML Innovation - PR Web - January 5th, 2021
- Transportation Management System (Tms) Market with Future Prospects, Growth, Industry Expansion Strategies, Key Player SWOT Analysis and Forecast To... - January 5th, 2021
- Trucking in 2020: A look back the year's top news, equipment and tech trends - Commercial Carrier Journal - January 5th, 2021
- Waste Collection (Waste and Recycling) Software Market Competitive landscape, Growth Strategies for Business Development, Analysis and Forecast,... - January 5th, 2021
- EDAP Announces End of the Year Focal One Sales - GlobeNewswire - January 5th, 2021
- BrainsWay Announces Publication of New Real-World OCD Data for its Deep TMS System in Journal of Psychiatric Research - GlobeNewswire - November 17th, 2020
- Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market Size, Share, Growth Rate, Revenue, Applications, Industry Demand & Forecast to 2025 - The Think... - November 17th, 2020
- Hudson Capital and FreightHub Merge - Citybizlist - November 17th, 2020
- TMS students recognized as Blazers of the Quarter - The Torrington Telegram - November 15th, 2020
- Greenbrook TMS Reports Third Quarter Financial Results With Continued Resilient Performance Through the COVID-19 Pandemic, Announces Spravato Pilot... - November 15th, 2020
- BrainsWay Announces Publication of New Real-World OCD Data for its Deep TMS System in Journal of Psychiatric Research - Yahoo Finance - November 15th, 2020
- Freight Scouts Transforms Broker Operations with Descartes' Cloud-based Solution - DC Velocity - November 15th, 2020
- EDAP TMS SA to Announce Third Quarter 2020 Financial Results on November 18, 2020 - Yahoo Finance - November 15th, 2020
- Tenino Middle School Honored as AVID 'Site of Distinction' for Showing Marked Improvement in Past Three Years - Centralia Chronicle - November 15th, 2020
- Freight Scouts Transforms Broker Operations with Cloud-based Transportation Management and Load Tracking Visibility Solution from Descartes - IT News... - November 15th, 2020
- Five Keys to Overcoming the Barriers that Limit Dedicated Fleet Productivity - Supply Chain Management Review - November 15th, 2020
- Odyssey Logistics & Technology TMS Study Reveals Insights Amid the Pandemic on Logistics Technology and Market Conditions - PR Web - August 19th, 2020
- BulkLoads TMS product for bulk commodities will be integrated into Barchart - FreightWaves - August 19th, 2020
- Toyota Kirloskar Motor new car leasing & subscription Program through TMS - United News of India - August 19th, 2020
- Treasury Management System (TMS) Market Size By Product Analysis, By Application, By End-Users, By Regional Outlook, By Top Companies and Forecast to... - August 19th, 2020
- Global TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market 2020 Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trend and Forecast to 2025 - Red & Black... - July 25th, 2020
- ORANGEBURG PROPERTY TRANSFERS - The Times and Democrat - July 25th, 2020
- Your Healthy Family: Getting help with the stress of uncertainty during a pandemic - KOAA.com Colorado Springs and Pueblo News - July 25th, 2020
- Mauritius club fined for not doing the TMS paperwork - Inside World Football - July 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Fifa gives Safa the power to extend the 2019-20 PSL season - Yahoo Sports - July 25th, 2020
- Neurostimulation may herald a new treatment for depression - The Conversation CA - July 25th, 2020
- Global Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market 2020 Industry Research Manufacturer Landscape, Revenue and Volume Analysis and Segment... - July 25th, 2020
- Racin' Today Dillon Answers 'Haters' With Victory In Texas - RacinToday.com - July 25th, 2020
- Live TMS Treatment from NeuroSpa TMS - WFLA - July 15th, 2020
- Strategy Systems Expands Integration with Trucker Tools, adds Book It Now to TMS Platform - DC Velocity - July 15th, 2020
- ARL Logistics Taps Trucker Tools for Smart Capacity Predictive Freight-Matching, Automated One-Click Load Booking with Book It Now - PR Web - July 15th, 2020
- Global Transportation Management System (TMS) Market 2020: Size, Share, Revenue, Growth, Supply, Top Companies and Forecast Research 2025 - Sports... - July 15th, 2020
- Coupa acquires BELLIN, targeting treasury management (Part 2: TMS Market, Competitors and TAM / Market-Sizing Considerations) - Spend Matters - June 24th, 2020
- Archerhub Launches ALVUS TMS to help Carrier Partners Grow their Businesses - DC Velocity - June 24th, 2020
- Axele TMS allows small, midsize FTL carriers to improve load planning and communications, increase profit - The Trucker - June 24th, 2020