GO BAHAMAS: Shown (l-r) are mens national basketball team co-manager Rodney Wilson, BBF president Mario Bowleg and co-manager Elvardo Kemp.
By BRENT STUBBS
Senior Sports Reporter
THE mens national basketball team will only have the service of 10 players for their FIBA AmeriCup 2021 qualifier against Mexico on Thursday night.
But according to Bahamas Basketball Federation president Mario Bowleg, who also serves as the head of delegation, the team should be okay.
He indicated that the two players will be available when the team returns home to play Mexico in their home game on Sunday in the Atlantis resorts ballroom.
Everything is going quite well, Bowleg said. Weve had about three practices since weve been here and we had a scrimmage game against one of the professional teams here and we fared pretty well against them, winning by double figures.
We have a lot of things to iron out before we play on Thursday, but we used that scrimmage to see where we are and what we need to work on before Thursday.
We have 10 players here who will be playing. We dont have Tavario Miller and Shaq (Shaquille Cleare) here due to the late release from their teams in Europe.
Bowleg said the rest of the squad, comprising of Jaron Cornish, Dominic Bridgewater, Michael Ferly Bain Jr, Michael Carey Jr, DShon Showtime Taylor, Michael Thompson Jr, David Nesbitt, Willis Mackey, Jaraun Keno Burrows and Travis Munnings are ready to go.
Grand Bahamian Norris Bain also didnt make the trip, but is expected to coach the team when they return home to play Mexico on Sunday. Instead, Steve Barnes, Perry Thompson Jr and Moses Johnson, along with Bowleg, are handling the chores.
The team will be managed by Rodney Kripy Wilson and Elvardo Kemp. Eugene Patton will be the teams therapist and John Marc Nutt will provide media coverage.
Were not that big, but we will use our quickness, Bowleg said. We have some guys averaging 6-6 and 6-7, so we feel we will be able to defend the ball and play as well as we can against Mexico as we play our style of basketball.
Having had a chance to watch the Mexican team work out as they both practice in the same gym, Bowleg said hes not too concern about whether or not the Bahamas can play against them.
We hope to force the ball up the court with our uptempo play and try to control the boards, Bowleg said. We believe if we can play well against them with players like Keno Burrows and Michael Thompson Jr, Travis Munnings and Willis Mackey, all stand around 6-6, 6-7 and Burrows 6-9, I think if we can control the boards are chances would be great.
We have a lot of shooters, so offensively, I think we will do very well. We just have to limit our turnovers.
Bowleg said everybody is in high spirits, working out together and just waiting on Thursday to play their skills.
It was a good thing or us to come here a few days early to relax and enjoy ourselves after a hard days practice, he lamented. I think this has put our players in a good frame of mind for game time on Thursday.
Hopefully the team will be successful as they prepare to host Mexico on Sunday at 8 pm at Atlantis.
See original here:
- Bahamas Announces Borders Reopening to Travelers on July 1 - TravelPulse - June 1st, 2020
- Breaking: SC of The Bahamas to Implement Massive Regulatory Changes - Finance Magnates - June 1st, 2020
- Where I played: The Abaco Club is Bahamas golf (and living) at its best - Golf.com - June 1st, 2020
- Joy Jibrilu: From Working with Lenny Kravitz to Virtual Visits, the Creative Ways the Bahamas Director of Tourism is Keeping the Region Top of Mind... - June 1st, 2020
- Sailing vloggers defend isolation in Bahamian waters - EyeWitness News - June 1st, 2020
- BPC sets new date for oil exploration in The Bahamas - EyeWitness News - June 1st, 2020
- PHASE 3: Churches, gaming houses, and some island beaches open - EyeWitness News - June 1st, 2020
- Bahamas Petroleum Company highlights strong financial position as it awaits Perseverance exploration well - Proactive Investors UK - June 1st, 2020
- RBDF probing reports of couple isolating on uninhabited island - EyeWitness News - June 1st, 2020
- Small Cap Movers: Bahamas Petroleum rockets after scheduling start of exploration well - Proactive Investors UK - June 1st, 2020
- MOFA marks anniversary of Turin deaths, investigations still ongoing - EyeWitness News - June 1st, 2020
- Government to appeal historic Bahamian court ruling on citizenship - NYCaribNews - May 29th, 2020
- Severe weather warning for Central and Northwest Bahamas - EyeWitness News - May 29th, 2020
- Caribbean community organizations call for decisive action to end homophobic abuse and cyberbullying - UNAIDS - May 29th, 2020
- Commodore: Border patrol strategies expected to cont. to deter illegal landings - EyeWitness News - May 29th, 2020
- Battered Caribbean prepares for hurricanes amid pandemic - The Republic - May 29th, 2020
- Fiscal deficit projected to climb to $1.3 billion EyeWitness News - EyeWitness News - May 29th, 2020
- U.S. will not repatriate citizens still in The Bahamas - EyeWitness News - April 11th, 2020
- Cutler is waiting out the outbreak in The Bahamas - NBCSports.com - April 11th, 2020
- First Coast couple locked down in their boat home in the Bahamas - FirstCoastNews.com WTLV-WJXX - April 11th, 2020
- Spring break during the coronavirus pandemic: 'It's the opposite of the Bahamas' - Reading Eagle - April 11th, 2020
- Govt gives cash to help Bahamians stuck in US - Bahamas Tribune - April 11th, 2020
- Bahamas credit bureau still a work in progress - EyeWitness News - April 11th, 2020
- Bahamas Embassy informs seized medical supplies released with help from US Embassy - Magnetic Media - April 11th, 2020
- Niki & Gabi Are Taking Over the Bahamas in New AwesomenessTV Series - Celeb Secrets - April 11th, 2020
- 100000 Students in The Bahamas served with virtual Education; Minister's remarks - Magnetic Media - April 11th, 2020
- Another case, another death for The Bahamas on Thursday, reports Health Minister - Magnetic Media - April 11th, 2020
- Corrections commiss. satisfied with COVID-19 protocols to safeguard inmates and officers - EyeWitness News - April 11th, 2020
- US citizens urged to leave now - EyeWitness News - March 31st, 2020
- Carmelo Anthony: LeBron James saved my life during trip to Bahamas - syracuse.com - March 31st, 2020
- Caribbean Moment: A Perfect Sandbar in The Bahamas - Caribbean Journal - March 31st, 2020
- Luxury bunkers and private islands how the rich are self-isolating from the coronavirus - CNBC - March 31st, 2020
- New case of COVID-19 in Grand Bahama - Bahamas Tribune - March 31st, 2020
- Report: 600 being tracked in The Bahamas for signs of COVID-19 - Bahamas Tribune - March 31st, 2020
- Bahamas Striping donates protective gear to help combat COVID-19 - EyeWitness News - March 31st, 2020
- More than 700 COVID-19 cases in the region - EyeWitness News - March 31st, 2020
- UPDATED: Fifth case of COVID-19 is in Grand Bahama - Bahamas Tribune - March 31st, 2020
- Bahamas native named UCF president - EyeWitness News - March 31st, 2020
- Johnson warns Immigration permits at stake for breach of COVID-19 orders - EyeWitness News - March 31st, 2020
- One More Confirmed Case of COVID-19 and Amendments to the Bahamas Ministry of Health's COVID-19 Dashboard - The Eleutheran - March 31st, 2020
- Nearly $15 million of $20 million small business loan programme requested to-date - EyeWitness News - March 31st, 2020
- MFA advice to Bahamian Nationals abroad and Foreign Nationals in country after Bahamas border closure - The Eleutheran - March 31st, 2020
- Bahamas | Facts, History & News - March 5th, 2020
- Inside Kylie Jenners Lavish Bahamas Vacation Rental - Architectural Digest - March 5th, 2020
- Storm-ravaged Bahamas rebuilding its power grid with emphasis on solar energy - 60 Minutes - CBS News - March 5th, 2020
- Bahamas Races Ahead With Its 'Sand Dollar' Digital Currency - Bitcoinist - March 5th, 2020
- Beautiful Bimini: A Photo Guide to the Tiny Island in the Bahamas - TravelPulse - March 5th, 2020
- Bahamas and Bologna Go On the Offensive to Battle Coronavirus Concerns - TravelPulse Canada - March 5th, 2020
- Two charged in connection with murder on Grand Bahama - Bahamas Tribune - March 5th, 2020
- Media in the Digital Age Bahamas Press Club Stages Awards Ceremony - Magnetic Media - March 5th, 2020
- Bahamas braves the elements on mainline trip - Keighley News - March 5th, 2020
- First Solar To Grid In Ragged Island makes '60 Minutes' Appearance - Magnetic Media - March 5th, 2020
- Lemon Shark Gets a Snout Rub by Conservationist in the Bahamas - Yahoo News UK - March 5th, 2020
- Kylie Jenner shows off her new 'bronde' locks in the Bahamas - Goss.ie - March 5th, 2020
- Govt. working on transition to cashless society - EyeWitness News - March 5th, 2020
- Americares to expand Bahamas health care programs - The Advocate - February 21st, 2020
- Banyan Tree to Open Resort With Overwater Bungalows in The Bahamas - Caribbean Journal - February 21st, 2020
- Bahamas Estate Once Home to the Duke of Windsor and Wallis Simpson Hits the Market - Mansion Global - February 21st, 2020
- Former Bahamas Home Of The Duke Of Windsor And Wallis Simpson Goes On The Market - Forbes - February 21st, 2020
- Ecumenical Gathering with the NCC USA at Annunciation GOC in Bahamas - All Archdiocese News - Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America - February 21st, 2020
- Grant Williams vacationed with Carsen Edwards, others in the Bahamas - The Rookie Wire - February 21st, 2020
- AIBT & BFSB Joint Response The Bahamas Off The EU Blacklist - Mondaq News Alerts - February 21st, 2020
- Joe Giudice Dances to Milania's Song While Partying in the Bahamas (VIDEO) - Bravo - February 21st, 2020
- DPM: Bahamas has already satisfied over 30 of 40 FATF recommendations - EyeWitness News - February 21st, 2020
- OECD tax demands may 'devastate the economy' - Bahamas Tribune - February 21st, 2020
- Ministry Of Finance Statement: European Union Removes The Bahamas From Tax Watchlist - Mondaq News Alerts - February 21st, 2020
- Senior Bahamas Tourism Executive Receives Recognition Award from Premier Faith-Based Trade Association - South Florida Caribbean News - February 21st, 2020
- First look at Disneys new private island Lighthouse Point in the Bahamas - The Irish Sun - February 21st, 2020
- PM: Govt. will aggressively defend borders against illegal migration - EyeWitness News - February 21st, 2020
- Removal from the EU's Tax Watch List Confirms The Bahamas Has Implemented Necessary Reforms - Magnetic Media - February 21st, 2020
- Junior sailors take advantage of the 7th annual Youth Olympic Regatta - Bahamas Tribune - February 21st, 2020
- Airbnb is offering five people a free 2-month 'sabbatical' in the Bahamas - CNBC - January 30th, 2020
- Airbnb is sending 5 people on a 2-month 'sabbatical' to the Bahamas - Business Insider - Business Insider - January 30th, 2020
- Airbnb Wants to Send You on a Sabbatical to the Bahamas - msnNOW - January 30th, 2020
- World News Media Looks at How Financial Services in The Bahamas are Changing in the Latest Issue of World Finance - Yahoo Finance - January 30th, 2020
- Live in The Bahamas for two months with this Airbnb sabbatical - Leicestershire Live - January 30th, 2020
- Airbnb is offering a trip to the Bahamas and it's completely free - Mirror Online - January 30th, 2020
- The United States and The Bahamas Sign Air Transport Agreement - South Florida Caribbean News - January 30th, 2020
- Dream jobs: Airbnb is offering a sustainable sabbatical in The Bahamas - Stylist Magazine - January 30th, 2020
- From The Bahamas to Antigua, the Caribbean's Best Historic Hotels - Caribbean Journal - January 27th, 2020