Extropy is the idea that human intelligence and technology will enable life to expand in an orderly way throughout the entire universe. Extropy expresses a metaphor, rather than serving as a technical term, and so is not simply the opposite of entropy. Extropy presents the idea that advances in science and technology will some day let people live indefinitely and that humans alive today have a good chance of seeing that day. It also describes a pragmatic consilience of transhumanist thought guided by a proactionary approach to human evolution and progress.
Extropian thinking places strong emphasis on rational thinking and practical optimism. These principles do not specify particular beliefs, technologies, or policies. Extropians share an optimistic view of the future, expecting considerable advances in computational power, life extension, nanotechnology and the like.
Many extropians foresee the eventual realization of unlimited maximum life spans, and the recovery, thanks to future advances in biomedical technology, of those whose bodies/brains have been preserved by means of cryonics or some similar method. Extropy emphasizes finding solutions to problems of the human condition, as well proactively considering potential unwanted side-effects of new technologies.
It should be understood that since the term extropy is a metaphor, a name for a moderately integrated group of values and attitudes, and it is not a force or a thing or a single value or principle; it cannot be measured.
Principles of Extropy
Extropy means seeking more intelligence, wisdom, and effectiveness, an open-ended lifespan, and the removal of political, cultural, biological, and psychological limits to continuing development. Perpetually overcoming constraints on our progress and possibilities as individuals, as organizations, and as a species. Growing in healthy directions without bound.
Extropy means affirming continual ethical, intellectual, and physical self-improvement, through critical and creative thinking, perpetual learning, personal responsibility, proactivity, and experimentation. Using technology in the widest sense to seek physiological and neurological augmentation along with emotional and psychological refinement.
Extropy means fueling action with positive expectations individuals and organizations being tirelessly proactive. Adopting a rational, action-based optimism or proaction, in place of both blind faith and stagnant pessimism.
Extropy means designing and managing technologies not as ends in themselves but as effective means for improving life. Applying science and technology creatively and courageously to transcend natural but harmful, confining qualities derived from our biological heritage, culture, and environment.
Open Society information and democracy
Extropy means supporting social orders that foster freedom of communication, freedom of action, experimentation, innovation, questioning, and learning. Opposing authoritarian social control and unnecessary hierarchy and favoring the rule of law and decentralization of power and responsibility. Preferring bargaining over battling, exchange over extortion, and communication over compulsion. Openness to improvement rather than a static utopia. Extropia (ever-receding stretch goals for society) over utopia (no place).
Extropy means valuing independent thinking, individual freedom, personal responsibility, self-direction, self-respect, and a parallel respect for others.
Extropy means favoring reason over blind faith and questioning over dogma. It means understanding, experimenting, learning, challenging, and innovating rather than clinging to beliefs.
Originally posted here:
- 12 years ago, Satoshi Nakamoto sent Hal Finney 10 bitcoinsthe first transaction - CoinGeek - January 15th, 2021
- The essence of Bhagavad Gita: Understanding the significance of sattva-guna, rajo-guna and tamo-guna - Economic Times - August 26th, 2020
- Basware Annual Partner Awards Announced - Business Wire - May 24th, 2020
- Knights of Unicron (SG) - Transformers Wiki - TFWiki.net - June 28th, 2017
- TMG 2010 rewriting original host headers when ... - Extropy - May 9th, 2017
- Greydon Square Extropy Lyrics | Genius Lyrics - March 11th, 2017
- DotNetNuke Skins - Home - February 19th, 2017
- Exchange 2010 - www.extropy.com - November 27th, 2016
- Current Issue | Asimov's Science Fiction - November 23rd, 2016
- Executive Team | www.extropy.com - October 1st, 2016
- Extropy Institute Resources - July 29th, 2016
- Extropy Institute Mission - June 17th, 2016
- Transhumanism's Extropy Institute - Transhumanism for a ... - June 15th, 2016
- God Is the Machine | WIRED - June 12th, 2016
- God Is the Machine | WIRED - June 10th, 2016