Philadelphia is a Democrat-dominated city with a decidedly left-of-center district attorney (Larry Krasner, an ally of Sen. Bernie Sanders) and Black female police commissioner (former Portland, Oregon Police Chief Danielle Outlaw) who was quick to speak out about the death of George Floyd and stress that she encouraged nonviolent protests. But its also the city where the infamous Frank Rizzo, who was often accused of police overreach, once served as police commissioner and later, mayor. The far right doesnt have a lot of influence in Philly, yet in a July 16 article for the Daily Beast, reporter Kelly Weill discusses the efforts of extremist Proud Boys to ally themselves with Philly police officers.
When the president of Philadelphias police union disavowed a far-right group whose members were photographed at a union party this weekend, Weill reports, it was at least the third time in recent weeks that local cops had been accused of canoodling with violent groups on the fringe. Members of the Proud Boys, an ultra-nationalist group that frequently mingles with white supremacists, were hard to miss when they showed up for a party at the Philadelphia Fraternal Order of Police headquarters Thursday night, (July 9).
Weill notes that according to the Philadelphia Inquirer, around ten members of the Proud Boys showed up at that FOP event and chanted all lives matters at protesters. Philadelphia police union president John McNesby, however, spoke out against the extremist group.
In an official statement, McNesby wrote, We have recently been informed that members of the Proud Boys were present outside the FOP headquarters this week following a visit by the vice president (Mike Pence). If we were aware of their presence, we would have immediately escorted them off our property. At no time were these individuals allowed inside of our building. Philadelphia police officers, FOP leadership and members condemn their hateful and discriminatory speech in any form.
But Weill reports that even the Proud Boys called elements of McNesbys statement into question.
According to Weill, In a public chat channel, the group posted a picture of what appeared to be the bar inside the FOP headquarters. On Twitter, the group claimed to have spent $1000 at the headquarters that night.
A Philly police officer who spoke on condition of anonymity was highly critical of the Proud Boys, telling the Beast, Nobody wants them there. I sure as hell dont want them there. Its weird. Who wants them there? Who wants their support?
Steven Windisch, an assistant professor who focuses on criminal justice at Phillys Temple University, told the Beast that the Proud Boys efforts to ally themselves with police officers serve two purposes. One, its a form of recruitment lets get into these institutions, get buddy-buddy with them, and maybe we can recruit them. Two, its also a product of their identity. The Proud Boys, in particular, see themselves as a kind of security force for Republican elites. Theres an unofficial brotherhood that I think they project onto law enforcement that theyre one and the same, fighting the same battle.
then let us make a small request. AlterNets journalists work tirelessly to counter the traditional corporate media narrative. Were here seven days a week, 365 days a year. And were proud to say that weve been bringing you the real, unfiltered news for 20 yearslonger than any other progressive news site on the Internet.
Its through the generosity of our supporters that were able to share with you all the underreported news you need to know. Independent journalism is increasingly imperiled; ads alone cant pay our bills. AlterNet counts on readers like you to support our coverage. Did you enjoy content from David Cay Johnston, Common Dreams, Raw Story and Robert Reich? Opinion from Salon and Jim Hightower? Analysis by The Conversation? Then join the hundreds of readers who have supported AlterNet this year.
Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure AlterNet remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to AlterNet, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.
Go here to read the rest:
- A political brawl at the Capitol with weapons - Times Union - January 17th, 2021
- Proud Boys among groups being watched as inauguration approaches. Do they have Northeast Ohio ties? - Akron Beacon Journal - January 17th, 2021
- Proud Boys Supporter With 1,000 Rifle Rounds Made Threats, U.S. Says - The New York Times - January 17th, 2021
- Researchers: More Than a Dozen Extremist Groups Took Part in Capitol Riots - Voice of America - January 17th, 2021
- Proud Boys ex-member details what happens within the group ... - January 15th, 2021
- Who are the Proud Boys? A look into the group and its leaders - January 15th, 2021
- Proud Boys: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com - January 15th, 2021
- Who Are the Proud Boys Trump Told To 'Stand Back and Stand ... - January 15th, 2021
- Proud Boys - Anti-Defamation League - January 15th, 2021
- Pro-gun lobbyist: If the Proud Boys show up on Lobby Day, theres nothing we can do about it - WAVY.com - January 15th, 2021
- Pro-Gun Lobbyist: If the Proud Boys show up there's nothing we can do about it - WAVY.com - January 15th, 2021
- Letters to the Editor | Opinion | westvalleyview.com - westvalleyview.com - December 4th, 2020
- Proud Boys, Women for Trump march to Oregon governor's mansion in Salem - Statesman Journal - October 20th, 2020
- Lauren Boebert Proud Boys and QAnon Report and If It Matters - Westword - October 20th, 2020
- Michale Graves says he is a "proud western chauvinist" and a "proud boy" - Punknews.org - July 21st, 2020
- 'The Largest Terror Threat Facing the US' - KNPR - July 21st, 2020
- Workplace Inclusion Study Highlights Need for Change - Oregon Business - July 21st, 2020
- Simply Healthcare Foundation Directs More Than $125000 to Support Boys & Girls Clubs throughout Florida during the COVID-19 Pandemic - Business... - July 21st, 2020
- 'They're really good men': Victoria Beckham is proud of her sons - FOX 11 and FOX 41 - July 21st, 2020
- From Portland to Palestine to the Southern Cone: The Reappearance of the Disappeared - Palestine Chronicle - July 21st, 2020
- Self Care Revolution, Mayor Asks Advisory Board Member to Resign, Nebraska Files Lawsuit Against Stem Cell Clinics and more Top Local News for Friday,... - July 21st, 2020
- Boys & Girls Club of Ridgefield Wins Two National Awards, Totaling Seven National Awards in Six Years - HamletHub - July 21st, 2020
- Brad Paisley and Kimberly Williams Are Proud Parents of 2 Boys Discover Their Family - AmoMama - July 21st, 2020