From the posts of my friends, it seems that the last 60 days or so of this COVID-19 pandemic have resulted in a tremendous amount of learning new skills and refining or reconnecting with ones theyd forgotten.
Many of my friends have been baking and cooking whole meals from scratch in home kitchens that have been rarely used for more than boxed dinners and pre-made party platters from the deli section. Theyre dusting off expensive appliances from their wedding registries and researching how to make sourdough starters from scratch now that they have added time at home. Necessity has them researching how to prepare chuck roasts or debone chicken breasts since thats all they can find at the local store when they venture forth from their homes.
The individually portioned, heat-and-eat items either arent available to them, or theyre finding they can save more money by prepping their food at home themselves.
The pandemic has given rise to a crop of home seamstresses, dusting off inherited sewing machines to whip up batches of homemade masks. The last garments those machines saw were drop waist Laura Ashley print collared dresses for a 4-H fashion review 30 years ago. Actually, some of those masks are re-purposed fabric from those same 4-H projects found in their inherited fabric stashes in cabinets and plastic tubs. Still, everyone must pitch in and do his or her part.
My friends who are parents are now suddenly thrust into a changing role as homeschool teachers. They find themselves needing childhood education enrichment exercises to complement the online education that their kids teachers are providing via Zoom. They need solid advice for questions that were once answered by their childrens childcare providers or teachers.
Im seeing more friends using their forced home stays to turn random Pinterest dreams into reality with more gardens planted, new chicken coops being built and new home DIY projects started and finished.
Its ironic though that many turn to YouTube instructional videos from strangers to find the answers, when the answers were always a phone call away at their county Cooperative Extension Service offices.
For more than 100 years, Extension agents have been providing advice and knowledge for home, family and farm. No other country has such a fount of knowledge like that collected under our Extension Services umbrella. Farmers rely on it for research into seed variety performances and crop input recommendations. Families rely on Extension agents for advice on nutritional guidelines, food preparation, childcare and safety trainings. Gardeners rely on their agents for advice on soils and amendments and how to preserve the bounty once its harvested.
And the crown jewel has been the 4-H program, which since its inception has gathered all of this collected knowledge and passed it along through active learning to youth members and their families. By reaching young people at the start, and including parents and siblings in the project learning, the knowledge gets disseminated faster and further.
Its why in the 1950s post-war America we had a surge in rural American prosperity4-H taught youth how to harness the new technologies available to them and their families through project work and competitions. From tractors to home electrical appliances, they were able to improve the quality of life on the farm and in the home.
Its why in the 1990s 4-H expanded to include STEM projects like rocketry and computer scienceto better prepare our youth for the fields of tomorrow and the betterment of our nation as a whole. Some of todays astronauts researching how to grow food in space for extended space travel started out as 4-H members planting gardens or building rockets for the county fair.
This was all done through pamphlets, in-person seminars, field days, and 4-H project learning, long before there were TikTok videos and HGTV. And this education is provided to the public for free or at minimal cost, because its financially supported by tax dollars.
So, if theres one thing to come out of this COVID-19 pandemic, let it be a renewed appreciation for the staff at our county, district and state Extension offices who share the answers we all need each and every day.
Who else do you trust to have the reliable answers to why your sourdough starter died or patterns for that homemade face mask youre seeking?
Read the original:
- Space travel is giving the future of cryptocurrency a boost for one surprising reason - Express.co.uk - June 30th, 2020
- How will private space travel change the way we explore the Solar System? - BBC Focus Magazine - June 30th, 2020
- 5 Public Space Companies to Invest in Over the Next Decade - seattlepi.com - June 30th, 2020
- New Houston-made satellites to mimic versatility of the chameleon in space - Houston Chronicle - June 30th, 2020
- Relativity and 6K Partner to Develop AM Rocket Parts for Space Made from Sustainable Materials - PR Newswire UK - June 30th, 2020
- SpaceX news: EU to boost their space exploration to keep up with China and US - Express.co.uk - June 30th, 2020
- Virgin Galactic aims to evolve $15 billion business from space tourism - Business Insider - June 30th, 2020
- Resolution approved to urge feds to locate Space Command headquarters in Ohio - MahoningMatters.com - June 30th, 2020
- At Least 110 People Needed to Start Life on Mars, Space Expert Says - Yahoo News - June 30th, 2020
- Why go 'horse and buggy' to Mars when we could go supersonic? | TheHill - The Hill - June 30th, 2020
- Recapping the Historic First Half of 2020 - Morning Brew - June 30th, 2020
- SpaceX gearing up for another launch of Starlink broadband satellites this week - Spaceflight Now - June 30th, 2020
- Boeing tests Starliner parachutes ahead of second test flight - Digital Trends - June 30th, 2020
- 5 Best Films About Space Exploration (& 5 The Worst), Ranked According To IMDb - Screen Rant - June 30th, 2020
- First UK night out of lockdown camping in Northern Ireland - The Guardian - June 30th, 2020
- The story of Ed Dwight: the man who nearly became the first African-American to reach space - The Next Web - June 30th, 2020
- Senate approves resolution urging feds to locate Space Command headquarters in Ohio - The Center Square - June 30th, 2020
- New company Space Perspective wants to take you to the stratosphere via high-altitude balloon - The Verge - June 21st, 2020
- spaceship neptune is a balloon that will take you to the edge of space - Designboom - June 21st, 2020
- The end of food? 'Taste synthesizer' will transform space travel, dieting and sex - Daily Star - June 21st, 2020
- SpaceX to build floating space ports for rockets destined for the Moon and Mars, and for hypersonic travel to Earth - Up News Info - June 21st, 2020
- What's the science on the Emirates Mars Mission? - DW (English) - June 21st, 2020
- STREAMING WARS: Netflixs big-budget comedy Space Force has all the right ingredients, but fails to deliver the laughs - SaltWire Network - June 21st, 2020
- Coronavirus: Travel to Spain, and the 'second wave' - BBC News - June 21st, 2020
- Is this double-decker seat the future of airplane travel? - CNN - June 21st, 2020
- Safe vacations and traveling during coronavirus: Advice to follow - TODAY - June 21st, 2020
- The Internets Most Censored Space - The New York Times - June 21st, 2020
- Virgin Galactic Stock Is Only for Astronauts and Speculators - InvestorPlace - June 21st, 2020
- Best Solar Eclipse Photos And YouTube Videos Of The Solstice Ring Of Fire From Around The World - Forbes - June 21st, 2020
- The amazon bond offering - Nairametrics - June 21st, 2020
- Satellites, outer space travel to be open for private companies in India: Govt - Livemint - June 13th, 2020
- Former astronaut becomes first person to visit both space and the deepest place in the ocean - CNN - June 13th, 2020
- Guest View: Despite space flight, there is no Planet B - The Register-Guard - June 13th, 2020
- Ask Ethan: How Does The Fabric Of Spacetime Expand Faster Than The Speed Of Light? - Forbes - June 13th, 2020
- Poem of the week: Sermon (for the Burial of Cassini) by Ella Frears - Telegraph.co.uk - June 13th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Space Tourism Market to Garner Astounding CAGR of 16.6% by 2025 Including Top Key Players- Space Adventures, EADS Astrium,... - June 13th, 2020
- Letters to the Editor: June 12, 2020 - West Hawaii Today - June 13th, 2020
- Have Scientists Found a Hybernation 'Button' for Humans? - The National Interest - June 13th, 2020
- Is It Risky To Ride In A Convertible? Go To A Casino? Travel With Kids? : Goats and Soda - NPR - June 13th, 2020
- Astronomer on why he is a 'frustrated martian', his love of the night sky and what the future holds for space travel - Times & Star - June 13th, 2020
- From Breakfast at Tiffanys to To Kill A Mockingbird, the best and worst examples of diversity in film - Evening Standard - June 13th, 2020
- What Space Travel Will Look Like in the Future - Earthly ... - June 9th, 2020
- WRITE TEAM: Space travel is back to once again give us faraway dreams - MyWebTimes.com - June 9th, 2020
- Former NASA astronaut Kathy Sullivan becomes first person to travel to space and ocean's deepest point - ABC News - June 9th, 2020
- Netflixs Space Force Just Exposed Animal Cruelty In Space Travel - LIVEKINDLY - June 9th, 2020
- You Can Now Tour the International Space Station From the Comfort of Your Home - Robb Report - June 9th, 2020
- This is the 'most ridiculously overvalued' trade in the travel space, strategist warns - CNBC - June 9th, 2020
- Evolution of 3rd, 4th and 5th Dimensions of Travel - Use Cases, Infrastructure Required, Application Areas, and Growth Opportunities -... - June 9th, 2020
- The Dangers of Space, Military Rivals and Other New Books to Read - Smithsonian.com - June 9th, 2020
- Here's how astronauts exercise in space without gravity - Yahoo Lifestyle - June 9th, 2020
- A group of enthusiasts has annotated the assembly code for the Apollo 11 mission to the Moon - Neowin - June 9th, 2020
- Faster-than-light travel: Is warp drive really possible? - BBC Focus Magazine - June 9th, 2020
- America Once Planned To Send An Apollo Spacecraft To A Soviet Space Station - Jalopnik - June 9th, 2020
- Trend report: nothing 'normal' about travel in the age of Covid-19 - Globetrender - June 9th, 2020
- Astronomer on why he is a 'frustrated martian', his love of the night sky and what the future holds for space travel - The Westmorland Gazette - June 9th, 2020
- Future Meeting Space explores customer needs and expectations on new event formats - Travel Daily News International - June 9th, 2020
- News: New Rotherham active travel projects - Rotherham Business News - June 9th, 2020
- Spain to extend restrictions on international travelers until June 15 - EL PAS in English - May 15th, 2020
- The 100 Series Finale Trailer Teases Screams, Space Travel, And Drastic Haircuts - Gizmodo Australia - May 15th, 2020
- On the Road Review: Ram 2500 Limited Crew Cab Diesel - Press Herald - May 15th, 2020
- Spains reeling tourism industry objects to travel restrictions - EL PAS in English - May 15th, 2020
- Virgin Galactic Is Grounded with No Profit and Little Revenue - InvestorPlace - May 15th, 2020
- Astronaut on how to survive isolation, and the future of space travel - Business Insider - Business Insider - May 14th, 2020
- Virgin Galactic Is a Solid Long-Term Bet on Space Travel Demand - InvestorPlace - May 14th, 2020
- Meet The Women Of The San Diego Art Prize - KPBS - May 14th, 2020
- Visual Artist Melissa Walter Makes Sense Of The Stars - KPBS - May 14th, 2020
- Astronauts experimented with Nickelodeon's slime in space - CNN - May 14th, 2020
- Virgin Group to sell shares of space venture to aid travel business - UPI News - May 14th, 2020
- What to binge next: 10 sci-fi shows to escape into the future - UPI.com - May 14th, 2020
- The sky is full of weird X-shaped galaxies. Here's why. - Live Science - May 14th, 2020
- What is Jeff Bezos net worth? - The Scottish Sun - May 14th, 2020
- The 100 Series Finale Trailer Teases Screams, Space Travel, and Drastic Haircuts - Gizmodo - May 14th, 2020
- 11 Ways Space Travel Will Change in the Next Decade ... - May 4th, 2020
- The 12 Greatest Challenges for Space Exploration | WIRED - May 4th, 2020
- Interstellar travel - Wikipedia - May 4th, 2020
- NASA Astronaut Talks Surviving Isolation, Daily Life in Space, and Earth's Beauty - Esquire.com - May 4th, 2020
- Tom Cruise teaming with Elon Musk, NASA to shoot action movie in space - Yahoo News - May 4th, 2020
- Patty Crane: Book shows importance of the moon, Earth's iconic satellite - Joplin Globe - May 4th, 2020
- SpaceX to launch first crewed spacecraft to International Space Station | Forge - ForgeToday - May 4th, 2020
- Video: Astronaut teaches Dundee kids about space travel with virtual visits - Evening Telegraph - May 4th, 2020