Written by Sunny Verma | New Delhi | Updated: June 1, 2020 12:09:06 am The impact of availing loan extension varies widely across borrowers.
Extension in moratorium on term loan instalments has provided a major relief to borrowers and companies facing cash flow problems, resulting from reduction in income or no income due to job losses. This helps them get some extra time for repayment even as their loan accounts continue to remain standard and their credit score is not adversely affected, thanks to the regulatory relaxations provided by the Reserve Bank of India.
For leveraged companies facing the cash crunch, the moratorium provides survival time. The expectation among the regulators and the banking fraternity is that once the lockdown eases fully in due course, economic activity will come back on track, enabling restoration of income levels of people affected by the sudden stall.
On May 22, the RBI permitted banks and NBFCs to allow a further 3-month moratorium, i.e from June 1 to August 31, 2020, on the payment of instalments in respect of term loans outstanding as on March 31, 2020. Lenders have also been allowed to convert the accumulated interest into a funded interest term loan to be repaid by March 31, 2021.
Individuals and companies who have availed term loans such as home loans, car loans, corporate loans and credit card loans can avail or seek extension of moratorium facility.
According to data provided by different banks, nearly 30 per cent of their outstanding loans have come under moratorium so far, with micro-finance borrowers facing extreme stress, followed by automobile finance, MSMEs, corporate and retail loans.
For some banks, this percentage is almost 70 per cent.
For large lenders like State Bank of India, ICICI Bank, Kotak Mahindra Bank and Axis Bank, the percentage of loans under moratorium is under 30 per cent. For Bandhan Bank, it is as high as 71 per cent since it lends primarily to micro units.
Banks expect more people to opt for moratorium facility as sectors such as aviation, tourism, hospitality, transportation and start-ups have seen not just salary cuts but also layoffs.
While the Indian economy is expected to experience a significant contraction this year, any revival in economic activity is seen to be a long-drawn process. Over two months of the lockdown means momentum in the economy will come back very very slowly. This will keep the need and demand for loan moratorium elevated.
IDBI Bank, the latest lender to report its financial results on Saturday, said that68 per cent of its retail loan book and 69 per cent of corporate loans have under the three month moratorium.
The impact of availing loan extension varies widely across borrowers. For someone in the initial years of loan tenure and availing moratorium, his interest payout to the bank and tenure of the loan will extend significantly, as the additional interest for six months has to be paid on a higher base. For a borrower whose loan was taken some years ago and has been repaid significantly, the extra interest payment will be relatively smaller, resulting in a lower extension of the EMI schedule.
Dont Miss from Explained | What deceleration in GDP growth rate tells us about state of Indian economy
During the life of a loan, the amount of interest decreases while the principal component increases as the loan amortisation progresses. One thing to always keep in mind is moratorium is not a loan waiver, it does not provide any monetary relief or concession in interest costs. Interest will continue to accrue on the outstanding portion of the loan during the moratorium period. For someone not facing any cash flow issues, moratorium is of no benefit.
Banks are likely to take a hit down the line since this is expected to significantly add to their non-performing assets (NPAs) from the second half of 2020-21. Banks are unlikely to face problems for the next three months as regulatory relaxations, will provide them a breather till September in recognising NPAs.
Post September, NPAs are expected to shoot up from the current level of around Rs 10 lakh crore, when these loans come up for repayments.In a report last Thursday, Fitch Ratings said Indian banks are looking at significant asset-quality challenges for at least the next two years despite regulatory measures, and estimated that their NPAs could rise by as much as 200-600 basis points, depending on the severity of stress and banks individual risk exposures.
The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
For all the latest Explained News, download Indian Express App.
IE Online Media Services Pvt Ltd
- Life extension health, rejuvenation and longevity - The Business Times - January 19th, 2021
- Divine Flavor adopts StePac' modified atmosphere standing pouches for extending produce shelf life in the retail sector - PRNewswire - January 19th, 2021
- miRagen Therapeutics Announces Company Name Change to Viridian Therapeutics and New Executive Appointments, Including Expansion of Leadership Team -... - January 19th, 2021
- Specialized Pro-Resolving Mediators (SPMs) Shown to Resolve Inflammation and Improve Infection Clearance - GlobeNewswire - January 19th, 2021
- On The Roof With...Green Roof Performance Expert Kirstin Weeks - Living Architecture Monitor magazine - January 19th, 2021
- True love, untimely death and robotics - Belfast Telegraph - January 19th, 2021
- Couer Mining subsidiary awards $30m contract to SNC-Lavalin | Supply Chain & Operations - Mining Global - Mining News, Magazine and Website - January 19th, 2021
- Vaccines and Ventilators: Need, Outcome or a Right to a Fair Go? - Practical Ethics - January 19th, 2021
- Whitehead Named Coordinator for International and Honors Programs in Bumpers College - University of Arkansas Newswire - January 19th, 2021
- Metrion Biosciences and LifeArc Further Extend Neuroscience-focused Ion Channel Drug Discovery Collaboration - BioSpace - January 19th, 2021
- Government to Cut Coal-fired and Nuclear Power Generation - BusinessKorea - December 29th, 2020
- Antibody study aims to protect those exposed to coronavirus from illness - The Jerusalem Post - December 29th, 2020
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are reportedly looking for an extension to their royal exit deal - woman&home - December 29th, 2020
- Five Persistent Misconceptions About Modernizing The US ICBM Force - Forbes - December 29th, 2020
- '20by2020' improves lives of thousands of fishermen and their families in Indonesia - Indonesia - ReliefWeb - December 29th, 2020
- Open Orphan wins vaccine contract extension and announces toxicology study completion - Value The Markets - December 29th, 2020
- Cryonics, brain preservation and the weird science of cheating death - CNET - July 6th, 2020
- Nano One update: progress on battery technology - The Armchair Trader - July 6th, 2020
- Highland Copper Announces Further Extension of White Pine Closing - GlobeNewswire - July 6th, 2020
- Registry is an arm of the Court and an extension of its dignity, says SC - The Leaflet - July 6th, 2020
- Hacking the Apocalypse: Your new guide to surviving the end of the world - MSN Money - July 6th, 2020
- How to get rid of fruit flies in your house | AgriLife Today - AgriLife Today - July 6th, 2020
- 'Life in the old dog yet': Hackney Law Centre thanks donors as it celebrates 40th anniversary - Hackney Citizen - July 6th, 2020
- David and Victoria Beckham plan garden extension with 91 metre lake at their Great Tew home - Banbury Guardian - July 6th, 2020
- Controlled Intelligent Packaging, Preservation and Shelf-Life Extension Market 2020 | by Manufacturers | by Countries | by Types and by Applications |... - July 5th, 2020
- Extension offers online session to help ag producers and others manage stress - Nevada Today - July 5th, 2020
- North America Blueberry Extract Market is expected to expand at the highest CAGR By 2027 | Top Business Players: Life Extension, Mazza Innovation,... - July 5th, 2020
- Kitchens Across America Trust Eat Cleaner Fruit + Veggie Wash, Available This July in New Value Size to Give People Kitchen Confidence | 2020-07-02 |... - July 5th, 2020
- Bruce Power partners give thousands to local charities - BlackburnNews.com - July 5th, 2020
- Antioxidant Supplement, Market Study for 2020 to 2026 Providing Information on Key Players, Growth Drivers and Industry Challenges|Vibrant Health, AST... - July 5th, 2020
- New Survey Reveals 74 Percent of Americans are Concerned that Vitamins and Supplements are not Backed by Trustworthy Research - PRNewswire - June 13th, 2020
- Maintaining health and nutrition while staying at home - WSAW - June 13th, 2020
- Why a decision on a second US plutonium-pit-production factory should be delayed - Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists - June 13th, 2020
- The Role Of Nuclear Power In A Clean Energy System - Seeking Alpha - June 13th, 2020
- Six months to break the deadlock on life after Brexit - The Advocate - June 13th, 2020
- Nukes in Space: the Extinction Rebellion Yet to Be - CounterPunch.org - CounterPunch - June 13th, 2020
- Further extension to mother-and-baby homes inquiry - RTE.ie - June 13th, 2020
- Enel Awarded 106.3 MW in Italy in GSE's Second Auction - Saurenergy - June 5th, 2020
- Has the United States Abandoned Arms Control? - War on the Rocks - June 5th, 2020
- Aeris Resources to acquire producing gold mine from Evolution in transformational move - Proactive Investors Australia - June 5th, 2020
- Artax Biopharma Announces Series B Financing Extension to Advance First-in-Class Autoimmune Disease Therapy - P&T Community - June 5th, 2020
- Drivers granted automatic licence renewal extension - Farming Life - June 5th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Melatonine Market Research Report: Probable Key Development To Be Observed Market States And Outlook Across By 2026 - News Distinct - June 5th, 2020
- Reishi Mushroom Supplements Market 2020- Analysis And In-Depth Research On Market Size, Trends, Emerging Growth Factors And Forecast To 2026 - Weekly... - June 5th, 2020
- Tuskegee one of three HBCU land-grants awarded $1.6M USDA Centers of Excellence grant - Tuskegee University - June 5th, 2020
- Eye Health Supplements Market 2020 Growth by Opportunities, Application, Driver, Current Trends and Forecast by 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 1st, 2020
- The Dak Prescott extension: What have the Cowboys offered? Plus, where negotiations stand - The Dallas Morning News - June 1st, 2020
- Milk Thistle Health Tonic Market In Depth Research with Industry Driving Factors, Consumer Behaviour Analysis, Future Trends, Key Players and Forecast... - June 1st, 2020
- How to stop earwigs and coreopsis beetles: Ask an expert - oregonlive.com - June 1st, 2020
- Orthopedic Extension Devices Market 2019 | How The Industry Will Witness Substantial Growth In The Upcoming Years | Exclusive Report By Industry... - June 1st, 2020
- Goldstar Insurance and Prudential partner to offer COVID -19 cover - Uganda - June 1st, 2020
- Punjab Agricultural University gives warm send-off to Bhalla - Hindustan Times - June 1st, 2020
- Wife honors husband with continuing education center - Atlanta Journal Constitution - April 11th, 2020
- Letters To the Editor | Opinion - westvalleyview.com - April 11th, 2020
- The Military's E-6 Mercury Is Far Deadlier Than The F-35 Stealth Fighter - The National Interest - April 11th, 2020
- Extend New START -- The World Can't Afford a U.S.-Russia Nuclear Arms Race Too - Just Security - April 11th, 2020
- Brandon Scherff's excited to be in Washington, looking to be Redskin for life - Redskins Wire - April 11th, 2020
- "Life Won't Be Same Ever": Odisha First To Extend Lockdown Till April 30 - NDTV News - April 11th, 2020
- Get Growing: Good news, good riddance to gypsy moth caterpillars this year - The Recorder - April 11th, 2020
- Alkane Resources regional drilling south of TGO returns further broad, high-grade gold - Proactive Investors Australia - April 11th, 2020
- He gave so much of himself to improving life in Douglas: Tributes paid to Billy Coleman - Echo Live - April 11th, 2020
- WAIVER EXTENSION, REVISED TIMING OF ENFORCEMENT - pa.gov - March 24th, 2020
- The U.S. Military's Behind-the-Scenes Moves To Protect Nuclear Readiness Amid Coronavirus - Newsweek - March 24th, 2020
- Mine life extension puts Kisladag back on the map - Creamer Media's Mining Weekly - February 24th, 2020
- WVU aims to make an impact in everyday West Virginians' lives - WV News - February 24th, 2020
- Over the Garden Gate: Bees are native pollinators - Ellwood City Ledger - February 24th, 2020
- What is the real cost of a Richards Avenue extension? - Santa Fe New Mexican - February 24th, 2020
- New Gold updates Rainy River and New Afton mine plans - The Northern Miner - February 24th, 2020
- Responsible Battery Coalition Applauds University of Michigan Research on Lithium-Ion Battery Degradation Calls Research Important Step in Educating... - February 24th, 2020
- Bruce Power marks next step of major project collaboration with ATS in Cambridge - TheRecord.com - February 24th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of ELD.TO earnings conference call or presentation 21-Feb-20 4:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - February 24th, 2020
- Senate panel agrees adding time to safe haven for babies a good step - KSL.com - February 24th, 2020
- Swine building maintenance the topic of statewide workshops - Discover Muscatine - February 24th, 2020
- Stress it is not a sign of weakness | News, Sports, Jobs - Morning Journal News - February 24th, 2020
- Arcadis working with the Georgia Department of Transportation to improve traffic congestion - Benzinga - February 24th, 2020
- Life With GDPR: Episode 36- Extension of British Airways Response Time for Proposed Fine - JD Supra - February 8th, 2020
- Max Muncys extension helps the argument for new service time rules - Beyond the Box Score - February 8th, 2020
- Noah Rubin's Behind The Racquet With Robert Ryland | Tennis 10sBalls - 10sBalls - February 8th, 2020
- Satellites: The $500 billion business | Industry Trends - IBC365 - February 8th, 2020
- The many lives of charcoal - Penn: Office of University Communications - February 8th, 2020