We were unable to send the article.
When asked to explain what happened to millions of dollars lent to him by an elderly Little Rock man, Kristian D. Nelson of England repeatedly cited his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination, a move that could hurt the ex-con at trial.
Nelson sat for a deposition on Sept. 23 in the civil lawsuit brought by Richard F. Toll, 90, who sued Nelson in July. Toll accused Nelson of defrauding him of $4.5 million in less than three years.
Meanwhile, on Jan. 29, Pulaski County Circuit Court Judge Wendell Griffen denied a request from Tolls attorney, David D. Wilson of Friday Eldredge & Clark of Little Rock, for a partial summary judgment on a $1.8 million loan that Nelson allegedly defaulted on.
Wilson argued during the virtual hearing that its undisputed that Mr. Nelson did not make payments under the note.
Nelsons attorney, Robin Vail of the Law Offices of Miller Vail of Heber Springs, argued against awarding the judgment, saying Nelson disputed how much was owed on the loan. Griffen agreed, but he also denied requests from Vail, which included sending the case to arbitration.
Vail also represents Nelsons used car outlet, I Sell 4 U Auto Sales LLC of North Little Rock, which is also a defendant in Tolls lawsuit.
The alleged fraud started in September 2017, when Toll first lent Nelson $10,000 for the restaurant Hawgz Blues Caf LLC of Little Rock, the suit said. Nelson told Toll he owned the restaurant, but he didnt, according to the lawsuit.
Nelson then kept returning to Tolls house on an almost weekly basis with manipulative lies and fabrications to entice more and more money from Toll, according to the suit.
Nelson told Arkansas Business in August that he needed money for the Little Rock restaurant, a second Hawgz site in North Little Rock and I Sell 4 U Auto Sales, which Nelson formed in 2018.
Hawgz Blues Caf also is being sued. The restaurant is represented by attorney Kathryn Hudson of Little Rock, who told Arkansas Business in an email in August that Kristian Nelson is not the owner but the manager, and Hawgz Blues Cafe denies the complaint.
Nelson repeatedly cited his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination during the deposition, which lasted seven and a half hours. Invoking the Fifth Amendment could hurt a witness in a civil trial, said Joshua Silverstein, a professor at the Bowen School of Law at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
Generally when a witness invokes the Fifth Amendment, the jury can draw the inference that theyre asserting it for a bad reason, or theyre asserting it because what theyre being accused of is true, he said.
During Nelsons deposition, Wilson asked Nelson if he believes he will be criminally prosecuted for his dealings with Toll.
I dont believe so, said Nelson, who in 2009 was sentenced to 71 months in federal prison for wire fraud after taking about 20 investors for more than $1 million.
Nelson added that his dealings with Toll were a complicated issue. Theres not just a simple yes or no. If I say yes to something and admit it, then it makes it look like that I am criminally doing something. But if Im not able to tell what happened, then it could be construed as something wrong. So I really want to get this out. I really want to get this thing to where its right.
Wilson accused Nelson of dodging questions during the deposition, as Nelson frequently answered with I dont know or I dont remember. Wilson asked Nelson if he had memory problems. I dont know, Nelson said. I dont think so.
If Nelson has a different answer at the trial, that also might hurt his credibility.
Silverstein said if witnesses give different answers during their trial than at their deposition, the cross-examining attorney can quote from the deposition to challenge the statement.
If there are real differences, then you can use the deposition to suggest that the witness is perhaps not being entirely forthright would be one way to say it, he said.
Wilson has requested that the case be scheduled for three days in October.
He said during the hearing last month that the longer the case is delayed, the better it is for Nelson, because he just spends the money, and theres none left for my client.
See the original post here:
Ex-Con in Fraud Case Takes the Fifth - Arkansas Business Online
- Trump Judge Casts Deciding Vote to Excuse Clear Violation by Police of Black Man's Fifth Amendment Rights: Confirmed Judges, Confirmed Fears - People... - May 11th, 2021
- If the Devil of the WTO IP Waiver Is in the Details, What Are the Details? - JD Supra - May 11th, 2021
- Owens v. Brown: How The Navy's Women Won the Right to Serve at Sea - The Maritime Executive - May 11th, 2021
- Why Is the Justice Department Trying To Punish Derek Chauvin Twice? - Reason - May 11th, 2021
- Voice of the People | | hastingstribune.com - Hastings Tribune - May 11th, 2021
- Frontenacs to pick fifth overall in OHL Priority Selection - The Kingston Whig-Standard - May 11th, 2021
- Trial hits snag for convicted murderer charged in another deadly Youngstown shooting - WKBN.com - April 29th, 2021
- Convention of states blocked in Legislature | netnebraska.org - NET Nebraska - April 29th, 2021
- Derek Chauvin Trial: Updates The Spectator - The Spectator - April 29th, 2021
- Morries Hall and the right not to incriminate yourself (Fifth Amendment) - MSR News Online - April 11th, 2021
- Man who was with George Floyd during his arrest pleads the Fifth amid Chauvin trial - KARE11.com - April 11th, 2021
- Floyd's Friend Invokes 5th Amendment Before Testimony Resumes in Chauvin Trial - Voice Of Alexandria - April 11th, 2021
- Officers take the stand on training and protocol; Floyd's friend fears self-incrimination - WXOW.com - April 11th, 2021
- Today's Headlines and Commentary - Lawfare - Lawfare - April 11th, 2021
- What Is the Second Amendment? | Second Amendment Rights - Reader's Digest - April 11th, 2021
- Free Webinar: Battling Deep Fakes and Misinformation Media's Role and Responsibility - StreetInsider.com - April 11th, 2021
- Virginia Beach police bought the technology to automatically turn on body cameras when a gun is drawn, but it doesn't work - 13newsnow.com WVEC - March 31st, 2021
- Analysis | Hefazat-e Islam, the group behind anti-Modi protests in Bangladesh - The Hindu - March 31st, 2021
- Question of fear or vengeance at core of Lawton murder trial - The Lawton Constitution - March 31st, 2021
- Professor's New Casebook Is First to Look at Law of the Police - UVA Today - March 31st, 2021
- Arbitration. Enforcement of Award. Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act. Personal Jurisdiction. District court refuses to enforce $20 million award... - March 31st, 2021
- SITEONE LANDSCAPE SUPPLY, INC. : Entry into a Material Definitive Agreement, Creation of a Direct Financial Obligation or an Obligation under an... - March 31st, 2021
- City issues order to force Columbus police officers to give evidence in protest probe - The Columbus Dispatch - March 31st, 2021
- Separation of judiciary still elusive in Bangladesh - newagebd.net - March 31st, 2021
- The Fight Over Minimum Wage Has a Long History in the US. Here's What to Know About It - NBC 6 South Florida - March 31st, 2021
- USCIS: Uvarov's request for injunctive relief moot; passport returned and he has departed NMI - Marianas Variety - March 31st, 2021
- Lawyer tries to throw out confession of Killeen woman charged in Vanessa Guillen case - The Killeen Daily Herald - March 31st, 2021
- Bill would protect juveniles' Fifth Amendment rights | Serving Carson City for over 150 years - Nevada Appeal - March 21st, 2021
- SCOTUS to Decide Whether There Is a Fundamental Right to Kick People Off Your Property - Law & Crime - March 21st, 2021
- 5th Amendment - Definition, Examples, Cases, Processes - March 7th, 2021
- What is the Takings Clause of the 5th Amendment? - Pacific Legal Foundation (PLF) - March 7th, 2021
- Ghost of March 4 inauguration back to haunt us - Olean Times Herald - March 7th, 2021
- What you need to know as Chauvin trial starts Monday - TwinCities.com-Pioneer Press - March 7th, 2021
- Mensah to 'plead the 5th' if forced to testify in new hearing on deadly shooting - WISN Milwaukee - February 27th, 2021
- CPAC heavy hitters to highlight constitutional freedoms, allege 'left hates the Bill of Rights' - Home - WSFX - February 27th, 2021
- Fact Checking Xavier Becerra's Claim That He 'Never Sued Any Nuns' - The Dispatch - February 27th, 2021
- The 5 Trump Amendments to the Constitution - The Atlantic - February 25th, 2021
- A refusal to testify shouldnt be interpreted this way - Leominster Champion - February 25th, 2021
- Blythe vote-buying case referred to Georgia Attorney General - The Augusta Chronicle - February 25th, 2021
- Ex-husband of 'RHONY' events planner pleads Fifth in Peeping Tom suit - Page Six - February 25th, 2021
- Ninth Circuit Upholds Dismissal of Kids Climate SuitHeaded to the Supreme Court? - Lexology - February 25th, 2021
- Justices Won't Hear Fight Over USPTO Fees On Axed Patents - Law360 - February 25th, 2021
- Florida woman charged over threats to FBI asking about Capitol siege - Insider - February 25th, 2021
- Disputes over church property and ACCA ambiguity - SCOTUSblog - February 25th, 2021
- Newsom Looks To Shear Barber's Suit Over COVID-19 Orders - Law360 - February 25th, 2021
- Supreme Court asked to declare the all-male military draft unconstitutional | TheHill - The Hill - February 25th, 2021
- ECC takes on 'Black and Blue: Policing Communities of Color' - WBFO - February 25th, 2021
- Letter: CDC vs. landlords. If director has that much power over private citizens, there's a problem. - The Augusta Chronicle - February 25th, 2021
- Trump is acquitted again, Sen. Ron Johnson sends the wrong message by siding with him - UW Badger Herald - February 25th, 2021
- Harvey Weinstein has been behind bars for a year: What's changed? - USA TODAY - February 25th, 2021
- Fifth Amendment to PREP Act Declaration Expands the Ranks of Health Care Providers Authorized to Administer COVID-19 Vaccines - Lexology - February 8th, 2021
- Dems: The Fifth Amendment against self-incrimination doesn't apply to Trump - ChicagoNow - February 8th, 2021
- Americana Corner: The Bill of Rights: The Fifth Amendment - Bryan County News - February 8th, 2021
- HHS Expands Categories of Persons Covered Under the PREP Act Who Can Administer COVID-19 Vaccine - JD Supra - February 8th, 2021
- Book review: 'The Crooked Path to Abolition' - Bowling Green Daily News - February 8th, 2021
- Republicans seek to play offense in vote-a-rama | TheHill - The Hill - February 8th, 2021
- Letter: Claims of constitutional rights are often wrong - The Durango Herald - February 2nd, 2021
- EU Commission publishes fifth amendment to its Temporary Framework for state aid in relation to the COVID-19 crisis - Lexology - February 2nd, 2021
- Can a Comic Book Contain the Drama and Heat of Activism? - The New York Times - February 2nd, 2021
- Chief Nurse at Wolters Kluwer and Critical Care Nurse Practitioner Discusses HHS Public Readiness and Emergency Preparedness (PREP) Act - Business... - February 2nd, 2021
- Congressional Investigations in the 117th Congress: Choppy Waters Ahead for the Private Sector? - Gibson Dunn - February 2nd, 2021
- The Courts and Healthcare Policy | McGuireWoods Consulting - JDSupra - JD Supra - February 2nd, 2021
- LASD Won't Name Deputies Involved in Killing of Fred Williams III at Otherwise Uninformative Inquest - Streetsblog Los Angeles - February 2nd, 2021
- Xiaomi sues the US government over military blacklisting Just now - Siliconrepublic.com - February 2nd, 2021
- 2020 at the Supreme Court - Lexology - February 2nd, 2021
- FPAA Remembered: In Triangle Football, the Dixie Cup Was the Ultimate Game - Bama Maven - February 2nd, 2021
- Former Rutland cop denied new rape trial after ex-wife, citing perjury concern, declines to provide alibi - Worcester Telegram - February 2nd, 2021
- Are Patents Free for the Taking; or Does the Law Require Just Compensation? - Patently-O - January 29th, 2021
- CIT Dismisses All but One Claim in Section 232 Steel Tariff Dispute - Lexology - January 29th, 2021
- Inquest: Man Killed by Deputies in Willowbrook Was Shot in the Back - NBC Southern California - January 29th, 2021
- 'The Little Things' boasts powerhouse lineup - Post Register - January 29th, 2021
- Meet the People Archives - California Ag Today - January 29th, 2021
- Guest opinion: New Jefferson River flood maps are all wet - Belgrade News - January 29th, 2021
- Betraying Your ChurchAnd Your Party - The Atlantic - January 29th, 2021
- Transcript: The Last Word with Lawrence O'Donnell, 1/18/2021 - MSNBC - January 29th, 2021
- Letter: Halting the Keystone Pipeline is a win for liberty - INFORUM - January 29th, 2021
- Selections from The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump BillMoyers.com - BillMoyers.com - January 29th, 2021
- Mitigating the Risk of Loss of a Delinquent Collateral Asset in the Era of Autonomous Zones - JD Supra - January 19th, 2021
- OPINION | Trump might invoke the 25th Amendment without resigning - Marianas Variety - January 19th, 2021
- Will Joe Biden Issue a Pardon to Donald Trump? - The National Interest - January 19th, 2021