For over a year, we've heard whispers and rumours that Australia could potentially open up a travel bubble with neighbouring countries like New Zealand, Singapore, Fiji and the rest of the Pacific Islands.
Finally, that pipe dream is becoming a reality the New Zealand travel bubble is in full swing, and the Australian government is in talks to open one with Singapore in the coming months.
But what about the Pacific Islands? After all, we could all use an idyllic beach holiday right about now, especially as it's getting colder here in Australia.
Here's everything to know about the potential Fiji and South Pacific travel bubble.
Now that the trans-Tasman travel bubble has opened between Australia and New Zealand, our government is in talks to open similar bubbles with other countries.
Singapore is reportedly top of the list, and there has been much speculation that the Pacific Islands will be open to Australians relatively soon.
Fiji has only reported 67 COVID-19 cases since the beginning of the pandemic, so it's likely that Australian authorities will deem it a safe country to open borders with.
A travel bubble is an agreement between two or more countries that have had relative success in suppressing the spread of the coronavirus over the past year. People will be allowed to travel freely between these zones without needing to quarantine or self-isolate.
READ MORE: These are the world's top hotels for 2021, according to Tripadvisor
There's not yet a set date that Australians will be able to travel to Fiji. However, it may be sooner than you think.
With the reopening of borders for quarantine-free leisure travel between New Zealand and the Cook Islands, experts are optimistic about Australia entering into a similar agreement with Pacific Island nations within the year.
Health experts are speculating that once we're all vaccinated the coronavirus may be treated like a simple cold. Infectious disease expert, Professor Robert Booy, told Today in early May that he believes more travel bubbles will open between Australia and other countries in the coming months.
He said one country after the other would say yes if all agreed they had good control of the virus.
Fiji has only recorded 206 cases of COVID-19 during the entire pandemic at the time of writing, with long stretches of no daily infections. So long as a travel bubble is established, with COVID-free "green zone" flights, it will be safe for Australians to fly to Fiji.
READ MORE: What it's really like to fly internationally for the travel bubble
It's almost a certainty that travellers wanting to take advantage of a Fiji or Pacific Islands travel bubble will need to be fully vaccinated. Once vaccinated, you will receive a certificate that will allow you to travel.
Travellers heading from Australia to New Zealand have to fill out declaration cards before arriving in each country and it's likely a similar system will be implemented if a travel bubble opens with the Pacific Islands.
The Pacific Islands are home to arguably some of the most beautiful places on the planet. From private island resorts to low-key beach bungalows, there's truly something for every vacation style. The only hard thing is deciding where to go the South Pacific region stretches all the way from Australia to Hawaii so there are a lot of options.
Here are a couple of guidelines to get you started.
The Cook Islands
This group of 15 islands is a blend of Polynesian and New Zealand culture, just three-and-a-half hours from Auckland. It's a super laid-back and welcoming destination, and is a favourite spot for families thanks to its modern infrastructure. Here, you can chill out in high-end resorts, or get adventurous with hiking, kayaking, and sailing.
You absolutely have to try the traditional 'Island Night' Polynesian feast on Rarotonga's main beach. Pork and local vegetables are slow-cooked in an earthen oven for one of the most delicious meals you'll ever taste.
Far and away the most popular spot in the South Pacific, Fiji has a reputation for being an island paradise. Despite this, it's still wild and natural, with lush tropical forest and endless stretches of white beaches.
Snorkellers and divers should definitely visit Fiji, which is surrounded by coral reefs abundant with marine life. There's really no shortage of things to do here, from splurging on five-star resorts to zip-lining and waterskiing.
Want to visit France without having to travel to Europe? Tahiti and her islands are the perfect mix of French culture and island living. This is the place to travel if you want a luxury island holiday. Think overwater bungalows, private residences, and helicopter trips to remote beaches. Cheeky trip to Bora Bora, anyone?
But it's not just about chilling in your resort. There are also some great wineries on the islands, and quad-biking tours for any thrill-seekers out there.
Despite being a rugged slice of paradise, Samoa has been largely untouched by mass tourism. That makes it the perfect place to go for a chill holiday, especially if you want to get out and about in nature. Its rainforests are filled with lush waterfalls and blowholes, while its beaches put even the most stunning desktop backgrounds to shame.
Stay in a basic beach hut (fale) for the full experience, and take a trip to the local markets to stock up on fresh fruit and produce for your stay.
Much like Samoa, Tonga is a more untouched island a place to visit if you're happy to rough it a little. One of the least developed islands in the Pacific, this is the place to come if you really want to log off and disconnect. Forget any concept of time, here it's all about chilling out and letting go of organised holiday schedules.
Another country that's a mash-up of French and Island culture, New Caledonia has long been a favourite holiday spot for Aussies. You can get from Sydney to the capital city of Noumea in under three hours faster than New Zealand!
Here you won't have to compromise on creature comforts, as there are plenty of modern bars, cafes and restaurants serving up delicious food that you won't ever want to stop eating. The beaches are, of course, idyllic, and it's home to the world's second-largest great barrier reef, with incredible marine biodiversity.
The perks start in the bedroom at this Sydney hotel
See the original post here:
- Renting out your own private island may be cheaper than you think here are 13 incredible Airbnbs - Business Insider - July 25th, 2021
- Five Homes on Maine Islands You Don't Want to Miss Out On - Boston magazine - July 25th, 2021
- Marymount team helps in statewide effort to address 'heat islands' - Inside NoVA - July 25th, 2021
- 10 "No-No's" of Cruising After the Pandemic - Cruzely.com - July 25th, 2021
- We bought a $62,000 sailboat and moved in - Toronto Life - July 25th, 2021
- Exploring the Elizabeth Islands (and swimming with cows) - The Boston Globe - July 7th, 2021
- Holiday on Welsh private island goes viral on TikTok and stuns people around the world - Wales Online - July 7th, 2021
- Beautiful Scottish island goes on sale for the same price as Edinburgh city centre flat - Edinburgh Live - July 7th, 2021
- Secluded Camp with 4,000 ft of Lake Frontage in NY's Adirondacks Scheduled for Luxury Auction July 16th - PRNewswire - July 7th, 2021
- Ed Sheeran had to be talked out of buying an island and moving to Ghana - NME - July 7th, 2021
- The private Scottish island you can buy for the same price as a London flat - My London - July 7th, 2021
- 17 Sunny Photos of the Royal Family at the Beach - TownandCountrymag.com - July 7th, 2021
- Traveling to the Maldives during Covid-19: What you need to know before you go - KTVZ - July 7th, 2021
- What's New In The Bahamas In July - PRNewswire - PRNewswire - July 7th, 2021
- Revisiting The Island of Dr. Moreau: Marlon Brandos fever dream - Far Out Magazine - July 7th, 2021
- The Best Room at ... The Four Seasons Anguilla - TownandCountrymag.com - July 7th, 2021
- I went on Royal Caribbean's 7-day vaccinated cruise to the Bahamas - Business Insider - July 7th, 2021
- If you love travel then Netflix's The World's Most Amazing Vacation Rentals is your next watch - Woman & Home - July 7th, 2021
- Taxing tourists is helping the Balearic islands to give back to sustainable initiatives - Euronews - June 28th, 2021
- Escape to one of these 10 New England islands for your next vacation - USA Today 10Best - June 28th, 2021
- Some neighborhoods in DC can be 20 degrees hotter than other areas. Here's why - WUSA9.com - June 28th, 2021
- Where is the Love Island villa and can I stay there? - Manchester Evening News - June 28th, 2021
- Calilo a work of art on the Greek island of Ios - Travel Weekly - June 27th, 2021
- The perfect getaway: An interview with Luis D. Ortiz of Netflix's The World's Most Amazing Vacations Rentals - Charleston Post Courier - June 27th, 2021
- Yugo Private Aviation expands in Southeast Asia - Business Wire - June 27th, 2021
- Rare chance to own a renovated cottage on a private Welsh island - Wales Online - June 27th, 2021
- Would you like to stay in an igloo when your trip resumes? - Ohionewstime.com - June 27th, 2021
- Private aviation firm Yugo pursuing growth in PHL - BusinessWorld Online - June 27th, 2021
- Behind the Scenes: On the Hunt for the Real Ghislaine Maxwell - Rolling Stone - June 27th, 2021
- This Private Island for Rent in Greece is Heaven on Earth A private island available to - Greek Reporter - June 23rd, 2021
- Netflixs New Series "The Worlds Most Amazing Vacation Rentals" Is Giving Us the Travel Inspiration We Need - HouseBeautiful.com - June 23rd, 2021
- Find The Worlds Most Amazing Vacation Rentals on Netflix - The Detroit News - June 23rd, 2021
- The Ritz-Carlton Debuts In Turks & Caicos Hospitality Net - Hospitality Net - June 23rd, 2021
- Library bookmark contest... - Journal of the San Juan Islands - June 23rd, 2021
- Why I had no hesitations booking 2 cruises this summer - Business Insider - June 23rd, 2021
- An AZ of Greek islands and how to plan the perfect trip - Telegraph.co.uk - Telegraph.co.uk - June 23rd, 2021
- Bill Clinton and Jeffrey Epstein really are more scandalous than Prince Andrew Film Daily - Film Daily - June 23rd, 2021
- How to Rent Out Four of the Most Exclusive Private Islands on Earth - InsideHook - June 15th, 2021
- Disney is Still Moving Forward with Second Private Destination in the Bahamas - Cruise Hive - June 15th, 2021
- 7-Day Sailing Trip to The British Virgin Islands - AFAR Media - June 15th, 2021
- Why Private Travel Is The Newest Trend For Vacationers Private Travel - Upscale Living Magazine - June 15th, 2021
- Where Sun, Sand and Splendor Are Still to Be Discovered - The New York Times - June 15th, 2021
- A Japanese-Inspired Villa Hits the Market on the British Virgin Islands - Dwell - June 15th, 2021
- A Birding Adventure in Arizonas Sky Islands - The New York Times - June 15th, 2021
- Financing considerations for take-private transactions in the Cayman Islands - Lexology - June 15th, 2021
- Turks and Caicos Islands issued a Level 1 Notice from the CDC - eTurboNews | Trends | Travel News - June 15th, 2021
- A local's ultimate guide to visiting St. Martin, an island in the Caribbean - Insider - June 15th, 2021
- Hudson Valley On The Water: 5 Islands Park Kayak Excursions - Patch.com - June 15th, 2021
- Private Funding of Legal Services Act, 2020: the codification and expansion of litigation funding in the Cayman Islands - Lexology - June 2nd, 2021
- Cruises are finally returning to U.S. ports here's what will be different post-COVID - MarketWatch - June 2nd, 2021
- First Look: The Ritz-Carlton Opens Its First Resort in the Maldives - Robb Report - June 2nd, 2021
- Traveling to the Maldives during Covid-19: What you need to know before you go - KRDO - June 2nd, 2021
- Culture Talk: Lisa Howie on Organizing Inaugural Atlantic World Art Fair, Online Event Features Works by Artists From Caribbean and Atlantic Islands -... - June 2nd, 2021
- OMG, I Want to Rent That House: Ibiza, Spain The Daily Beast - Daily Beast - June 2nd, 2021
- Join the luxury villa club with Stay One Degree - The Week UK - June 2nd, 2021
- Unparalleled Luxury Embraces the Circle of Island Life with the Debut of the Ritz-Carlton Maldives, Fari Islands - Yahoo Finance - June 2nd, 2021
- Tourism is Back and it Starts in The Seychelles With a Boom! - Al-Bawaba - June 2nd, 2021
- Post-COVID cruising: The ships are back at sea, but where can they go? - Yahoo News - June 2nd, 2021
- Open letter to the Lopez community | Guest... - Islands' Weekly - June 2nd, 2021
- 10 Private Islands That You Can Rent on Airbnb - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 24th, 2021
- L'Voyage Expands with New Shareholder and New Plans - Aviation International News - May 24th, 2021
- How to Build Anywhere in the Caribbean - Caribbean Journal - May 24th, 2021
- COMPETITION: Win a spectacular private island staycation in idyllic Clew Bay for you and your housemates - JOE.ie - May 24th, 2021
- Survey reveals who's willing to cruise - News - University of Florida - University of Florida - May 24th, 2021
- Here's Everything Worth A Watch On Netflix In June 2021 - Secret Manchester - May 24th, 2021
- Yorkshire jeweller becomes an unexpected tourist attraction - in the Falkland Islands - The Yorkshire Post - May 24th, 2021
- The Worlds Largest Private Residential Yacht Will Be Back on the Water This Summer - Robb Report - May 24th, 2021
- WATCH: This New Netflix Series Takes You Inside the World's Most Amazing Vacation Home Rentals - Yahoo Entertainment - May 24th, 2021
- Where Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination Is Required - Healthline - May 24th, 2021
- Mackinac Islands Sip n Sail boat offers new cruises, including 5 oclock Somewhere - MLive.com - May 24th, 2021
- The Best Outer Banks Vacation Rentals 2021, from Beachfront Bungalows to Family-Friendly Retreats - Cond Nast Traveler - May 24th, 2021
- Traveling to the Maldives during Covid-19: What you need to know before you go - Gwinnettdailypost.com - May 11th, 2021
- Pandemic, where are we heading to? - The Times of India Blog - May 11th, 2021
- Heres how to book a glamorous spot to go glamping - MarketWatch - May 11th, 2021
- Rarotonga bubble ready: Cook Islands' advice to Kiwi visitors - New Zealand Herald - May 11th, 2021
- Europe woos tourists with cash, cafes and Covid-free islands - Yahoo Singapore News - May 11th, 2021
- Private parking spaces in Provincetown near $100K each in densest parts of town - Wicked Local - May 11th, 2021
- He was on vacation that cost 15,000 Johnson was examined - asumetech - May 11th, 2021
- School Garden Iniative Continues To Grow - Government of the Virgin Islands - May 11th, 2021
- WATCH: The R1.8m-a-night private island that Melinda Gates rented during divorce - CapeTown ETC - May 9th, 2021