Rocket ships, brain chips, music streaming, autonomous driving, solar power, underground roads with elevators it might be easier to list all the stuff that doesnt capture Elon Musks active imagination.
Best known as a car mogul, the founder and CEO of Tesla Inc (NASDAQ: TSLA) has even teased an interest in building an Iron Man suit for the Pentagon, a fitting venture for a tycoon who may have a Tony Stark fixation (or vice versa).
When he isnt battling existing state laws requiring carmakers to have a separate dealer network to sell, he's doing other stuff.
Heres a brief tour through the varying interests (distractions?) that constitute Musks million-dollar musings.
SpaceX succeeded in launching two of its Dragon 9 rockets over a 48-hour stretch last weekend, one to deliver Bulgarias first telecom satellite on Friday and a second on Sunday. The latter was to deliver 10 satellites for Iridium Communications Inc (NASDAQ: IRDM), which is setting up a global positioning system for commercial aircraft.
Delivering satellites and carrying payloads for NASA to the International Space Station are lucrative priorities reusing rockets and capsules is essential to Musks space business model but he has higher aspirations, such as colonizing Mars.
The stuff of sci-fi, Musks people are working on a neural interface that would allow the brain to directly control a computer and, theoretically, everything a computer controls. The venture even has a name Neuralink, according to the Wall Street Journal. The company, with a target of four years, aims to sell a product for people with brain injuries. It would eventually allow the human brain to connect to cloud storage, turning people into cyborgs with the ability to combat the rise in Artificial Intelligence, brain-for-brain, in a fight for dominance. No, really.
Musk just doesnt want to make autonomous electric cars, Martian colonies and space ships; he wants to get into the media content business, beginning with music.
Recode, quoting music industry sources, said Tesla is in talks with major music labels about licensing a proprietary music service that would be bundled with its automobiles. This report certainly came out of left field, but at this point, the world should have learned not to be surprised by Elon Musk's seemingly limitless entrepreneurial ambitions, Forbes said.
Its not really Elon, but his brother, Kimbal. A year younger, Kimbal Musk, like Elon, worked for a bit on the family farm in Canada. Hes seeking to overhaul the worlds nutritional values and the way the food supply is grown, harvested and distributed. "[My brother] told me it was crazy to get into the food business; I told him it was crazy to get into the space business," Kimbal Musk told CNBC. "It's working out fine."
Its telling that sectors that havent caught Musks attention (as far as we know) are, well, clamoring for it. Some health experts say if Musk wants to colonize the cosmos, hed better get going on diagnostic tools, health sensors and 3D-device printing to deal with specialized health care required for humans in space.
Right, been there. Musk made his first fortune as co-founder of Paypal Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: PYPL), which revolutionized the way people buy stuff online. Moving on.
SolarCity Corporation, which seeks to monetize and reduce costs of companies switching to solar energy. The multi-billion corporation, which was founded by a couple of Musk cousins on the advice of Elon, is now owned by Tesla.
The Boring Company is looking into boring traffic tunnels underground, where elevators would take multiperson vehicles to traffic-lite thoroughfares and transport people on high-speed sleds. Flying cars also are in the mix.
Related Link: Earth To Elon: Musk Wants To Conquer Music
_______ Image Credit: By Jurvetson - http://www.flickr.com/photos/jurvetson/2944375891/, CC BY 2.0, via Wikimedia Commons
Posted-In: BZTVMovers & Shakers Politics Psychology Travel Management Tech General Best of Benzinga
2017 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.
View original post here:
Everything That Interests Elon Musk Besides Building Cars | Benzinga - Benzinga
- Futurist: Channel Has To Remove Friction To Cloud 2.0 Adoption - CRN: The Biggest Tech News For Partners And The IT Channel - October 28th, 2019
- MSPs Will Help Enable The 'Virtualization Of The World,' Says Futurist - CRN: The Biggest Tech News For Partners And The IT Channel - October 28th, 2019
- Tech and futurism drive iconic car event's appeal - The Japan Times - October 28th, 2019
- This Electric Toothbrush Uses AI Because Nothing is Sacred Anymore - Futurism - October 28th, 2019
- This Rocky World With Three Suns May Have an Atmosphere - Futurism - October 28th, 2019
- This Creepy Life-Sized Doll Is a Warning About What Office Life Is Doing to Us - ScienceAlert - October 28th, 2019
- Scientists Say They Finally Figured Out How to Spot Wormholes - Futurism - October 28th, 2019
- Good News: The Ozone Hole Is Smaller Than Weve Ever Seen It - Futurism - October 28th, 2019
- The US Army Is Spending $750K to Partner With UFO Research Group - Futurism - October 28th, 2019
- Amazon Is Writing Its Own Facial Recognition Bills - Futurism - September 27th, 2019
- Yes, There's a "Pee Tape" and It's Unclear If It's a Deepfake - Futurism - September 27th, 2019
- Heres How We Could Feed a Million People on Mars - Futurism - September 27th, 2019
- Gasoline Fiends Blocked Every Single Tesla Charger in This Town - Futurism - September 27th, 2019
- Harvard Prof: The Moon Could Have Caught Alien Organisms, Tech - Futurism - September 27th, 2019
- Scarborough's South Bay observation wheel set to stay until November - The Scarborough News - September 27th, 2019
- Dozens of Countries Are Deploying Propaganda on Social Media - Futurism - September 27th, 2019
- Visual Effects Society Names Acclaimed Visual Futurist Syd Mead A Keynote Speaker at 2017 VES Summit - SHOOT Online - August 25th, 2017
- Residents 'Happy' With Futurist Development - Yorkshire Coast Radio - August 25th, 2017
- THE FUTURIST: Economic and existential concerns cloud the future - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - August 22nd, 2017
- New series of The Futurist Report explains effects of AI - IT News Africa - IT News Africa - August 22nd, 2017
- What is the Future of the Human Resource Function ... - August 20th, 2017
- Utah Futurist Rebrands NewVistas Effort - Valley News - August 20th, 2017
- AT&T Foundry, RocketSpace and Ericsson Release a New Series of ... - Al-Bawaba - August 20th, 2017
- Universal Basic Income Examined by Futurism Blog - Basic Income News - August 20th, 2017
- Renowned futurist to speak at SA top 100 event - InDaily - August 18th, 2017
- Acclaimed Visual Futurist Syd Mead to Deliver Keynote Address at 2017 VES Summit - Animation World Network (press release) (registration) (blog) - August 18th, 2017
- The CIO's broadening role: Business strategist, futurist, change agent - CIO New Zealand - August 16th, 2017
- Popular Futurist to Discuss the Future of the Hospitality Industry - Digital Journal - August 15th, 2017
- The Futurist: Technology as the key to HR - Human Resources Online - August 14th, 2017
- Yorkshire Coast Radio - News - Next Step In Futurist Demolition - Yorkshire Coast Radio - August 14th, 2017
- Transportation Futurist Simon J. Anderson to Speak Today on the Future of Trucking - Digital Journal - August 14th, 2017
- Cliff-top Scarborough residents say theatre demolition could destroy their homes - ITV News - August 11th, 2017
- The Futurist: Creating a positive candidate experience is fundamental - Human Resources Online - August 9th, 2017
- Israel and Kazakhstan's futurist vision for Eurasia - The Jerusalem Post mobile website - August 8th, 2017
- The Futurist: Fishing for the right talent - Human Resources Online - August 3rd, 2017
- Anders Srman-Nilsson (LLB/EMBA), global futurist, speaker and author - InvestorDaily - August 3rd, 2017
- 4 Big Trends That Will Shape CRE: A Futurist's Guide - Commercial Property Executive - August 3rd, 2017
- Futurist | Definition of Futurist by Merriam-Webster - August 1st, 2017
- FutureWorld - Is your business FUTUREPROOF - July 31st, 2017
- The Futurist: Why human resources is a people's job - Human Resources Online - July 31st, 2017
- Marty Sklar, Disney Legend And Futurist, Dies At 83 | Gizmodo ... - Gizmodo Australia - July 31st, 2017
- Professional futurists converge on Seattle to pick up hints about what lies ahead - GeekWire - July 29th, 2017
- Geek of the Week: Futurist author Richard Yonck helps us better prepare for a rapidly changing world - GeekWire - July 29th, 2017
- A futurist tells us what life will probably look like in 2040 - New York Post - July 29th, 2017
- Marty Sklar, Disney Legend and Futurist, Dies at 83 - Gizmodo - July 28th, 2017
- How Clothing Made From Milk Became the Height of Fashion in Mussolini's Italy - Atlas Obscura - July 28th, 2017
- Mark Zuckerberg Is A Bad Futurist - HuffPost - July 27th, 2017
- Here's what the Lime Street facade will look like - including Futurist memories - Liverpool Echo - July 26th, 2017
- Neo-Futurists' new show serves up plenty of 'Food' for thought - Chicago Sun-Times - July 26th, 2017
- The Futurist: Future by design - Human Resources Online - July 26th, 2017
- New 'Star Trek: Discovery' Clips Show Off Beautiful, Retro-Futurist Tech (Including a New Phaser) - Outer Places - July 22nd, 2017
- New York Neo-Futurists to Offer 'Fundamentals' Workshop This Summer - Broadway World - July 22nd, 2017
- Paramount Pictures Just Hired a Futurist in Residence to Guide the Future of Film - Futurism - July 18th, 2017
- Futurist: 'I Am Concerned for My Two Young Daughters' - Inverse - July 14th, 2017
- Ted Schilowitz Named First 'Futurist In Residence At Paramount Pictures - Deadline - July 14th, 2017
- The Futurist: A vision for the future - Human Resources Online - July 13th, 2017
- The Futurist: Why HR and IT need to be closer - Human Resources Online - July 11th, 2017
- Futurist Jack Uldrich to Speak on Top Ten Future Trends for Leading IT Advocate - WireUpdate - July 10th, 2017
- The Futurist: Innovation challenges for HR - Human Resources Online - July 5th, 2017
- Ray Kurzweil: There's a Blueprint for the Master Algorithm in Our Brains - Futurism - July 4th, 2017
- "Demolishing The Futurist Was The Right Thing To Do" - Yorkshire Coast Radio - July 3rd, 2017
- 4 Comic Book Themes that Made Elon Musk a Futurist - Edgy Labs (blog) - July 1st, 2017
- The Futurist Scorecard: A Look At (Almost) Everything That Interests Elon Musk Besides Building Cars - Yahoo News - June 30th, 2017
- The CCO as a Futurist - JD Supra (press release) - June 29th, 2017
- Flappers, futurists, Bloomsbury and Putney Wyndham Lewis's many enemies - Spectator.co.uk - June 29th, 2017
- Noted Futurist Looks Back: How Espionage, Arms Deals and Recent History Sowed the Seeds of Today's Terrorism - PR Newswire (press release) - June 28th, 2017
- Sino-futurist art seeks to explore the cities of the future: on Western visions of China - CityMetric - June 24th, 2017
- 10000 Bill For Futurist Campaigners - Yorkshire Coast Radio - June 24th, 2017
- The 3-D Printed Under Armour ArchiTech Futurist Just Released - KicksOnFire.com - June 24th, 2017
- Pop Futurist Xenia Rubinos Is A 'Brown Girl Tearing It Up' - WBUR - June 23rd, 2017
- Futurist says artificial intelligence is the most important achievement of 21st century - Armenpress.am - June 22nd, 2017
- We Are Social Founder Julian Ward & Futurist Ross Dawson Launch ... - B&T - June 22nd, 2017
- Further blow in bid to stop demolition of Scarborough Futurist - The Stage - June 19th, 2017
- Robot judges and related pseudo-futurist musings - Vail Daily News - June 18th, 2017
- Judicial Review In To Futurist Decision Refused - Yorkshire Coast Radio - June 16th, 2017
- 12th Annual IT CAME FROM...THE NEO-FUTURARIUM! Lineup Announced - Broadway World - June 15th, 2017
- Rachel Hatch, futurist and community vitality expert, to keynote regionalism / workforce track - The Gazette: Eastern Iowa Breaking News and Headlines - June 15th, 2017
- What Next? Nige and John mind the economic gap | Stuff.co.nz - Stuff.co.nz - June 15th, 2017
- Ray Kurzweil Says He Wouldn't Put His Money in Bitcoin but Doesn't Dismiss Blockchain - Futurism - June 14th, 2017
- Futurist Graeme Codrington on leading in a changing world - Bizcommunity.com - June 14th, 2017