The Purple Aces (3-1) will play three games in Nassau, Bahamas this weekend, starting Friday against East Carolina. Chad Lindskog, Courier & Press
EVANSVILLE The Purple Aces passports are rapidly filling with stamps.
England, Belgium, France and now the Bahamas.
After touring Europe this summer to play three international exhibitions, the University of Evansville mens basketball team went abroad again Thursday, leaving campus at 10:30 a.m. for its 1 p.m. chartered flight from Evansville to Nassau, Bahamas.
The Aces are one of eight mid-majors competing in this weekends Islands of the Bahamas Showcase and will play three games in as many days. First up: UE (3-1) vs. East Carolina (1-3) at 7 p.m. CST Friday.
Obviously, this counts, UE coach Walter McCarty said. This is for real and Im going to be a little stricter than I was on the Europe trip. That was about fun and just enjoying ourselves and taking in all the sights.
"This is about going down there and winning.
Theyhopeto get back on track after suffering their first loss on Monday to Southern Methodist, 59-57. They believe theyre better than that game showed.
UE Insider: Aces get a tough lesson in sticking to the game plan in loss to SMU
And while theyll surely appreciate the change of scenery and warm weather, all that matters to them this weekend is the possibility of adding three more wins to maintain their hot start.
Its a business trip first, but its going to be a good experience for us, junior Noah Frederking said.
On paper, the Aces are the second-best team in the field, according to the KenPom rankings: Liberty (86), Evansville (139), Rice (165), Milwaukee (241), George Washington (247), Kansas City (251), East Carolina (257) and Morgan State (282).
Liberty won the Atlantic Sun Conference last season before it upset fifth-seeded Mississippi State in the NCAA tournament. Like the Aces, the Flames also received votes in this weeks Associated Press poll.
Islands of the Bahamas Showcase 2019 field(Photo: Islands of the Bahamas Showcase)
UE will play either George Washington or Kansas City in its second game. If the Aces win against East Carolina, theyll play again at 7 p.m. Saturday. If not, theyll fall to the consolation bracket and play at 1 p.m.
Its going to be rapid and very quick, but were definitely going to enjoy our time in the Bahamas because once we come back, conference is right around the corner, said Art Labinowicz, who played in this tournament two years ago while at Coastal Carolina. Weve got to be dialed in.
They believe their legs are in shape. They did play their first four games in 10 days, after all. Yet, McCarty said reserves such as Marcus Henderson, Devan Straub and Thomasi Gilgeous-Alexander (who might redshirt) could see increased playing opportunities in the Bahamas.
The second-year head coach wasnt pleased with Mondays performance. He designed a game plan to keep SMU off the glass, yet the Aces didnt follow through and it ultimately cost them the game.
Evansville's DeAndre Williams (13) prepares to make a pass while talking to teammate Artur Labinowicz (2) during the second half against the Southern Methodist University Mustangs at Ford Center in Evansville, Ind., Monday, Nov. 18, 2019. The UE Purple Aces fell 59-57 to the SMU Mustangs.(Photo: SAM OWENS/ COURIER & PRESS)
DeAndre Williams said they need to simply trust McCarty and move forward. Williams is 2-for-2 in Missouri Valley Conference Newcomer of the Week honors and his 17.8 points and 8.5 rebounds per game are team-highs.
Im no special guy, Im just doing what I do: playing basketball, Williams said. Im going to stick to it and become better each and every day.
He doesnt need to lead them every game, though.
(Were) not really caring about who gets the glory or who gets the shots because its going to be different guys we need to get used to that, McCarty said. K.J. doesnt have to get 18 every night, DeAndre doesnt have to get 25 every night, it can be different and when we do that, were a pretty good team and though to guard.
The Aces react on court after defeating the number one ranked Kentucky Wildcats 76-74 at Rupp Arena in Lexington Tuesday evening, November 12, 2019.(Photo: MIKE LAWRENCE / COURIER & PRESS)
This weekends tournament was moved from Kendal Isaacs Gymnasium to a stay-and-play model at the Baha Mar Resort because the former has been serving as a shelter for people displaced by Hurricane Dorian. Games will be live-streamed on FloSports, which requires a subscription. Costs for the site vary, so be sure to read the fine print before agreeing to pay.
Fridays opener also has an extra twist: Brothers Jawaun and Tristen Newton will face off. Jawaun, a UE sophomore, has started every game while Tristen, a freshman, has done the same for ECU and scored 20 points in his college debut. UE had offered Tristen.
Seemingly none of the Aces had packed by Wednesday afternoon's practice. Not even McCarty, who also admitted he was relieved he didn't have to bring any suits and can instead wear short sleeves on the sidelines.
Whats one thing aside from their passports the players were going to be sure to pack?
Hopefully my basketball shoes, Frederking said. I dont want to forget those.
Chad Lindskog of the Courier & Press is in the Bahamas this weekend to cover the Aces. Contact him by email, firstname.lastname@example.org, or on Twitter: @chadlindskog.
Nassau, Bahamas at the Baha Mar Convention Center (All times CST)
Broadcasts: FloSports (video stream),WJPS-107.1FM(UE radio)
G1: Liberty (5-0) vs. Morgan State (3-2), 10 a.m.
G2: Rice (4-2) vs. Milwaukee (4-1), 1 p.m.
G3: Kansas City (2-3) vs. George Washington (1-3), 4 p.m.
G4: Evansville (3-1) vs. East Carolina (1-3), 7 p.m.
G5: G1 loser vs. G2 loser, 10 a.m.
G6: G3 loser vs. G4 loser, 1 p.m.
G7: Semifinal - G1 winner vs. G2 winner, 4 p.m.
G8: Semifinal - G3 winner vs. G4 winner, 7 p.m.
Seventh place, 10 a.m.
Fifth place, 1 p.m.
Third place, 4 p.m.
Championship, 7 p.m.
- Bahamas Announces Borders Reopening to Travelers on July 1 - TravelPulse - June 1st, 2020
- Breaking: SC of The Bahamas to Implement Massive Regulatory Changes - Finance Magnates - June 1st, 2020
- Where I played: The Abaco Club is Bahamas golf (and living) at its best - Golf.com - June 1st, 2020
- Joy Jibrilu: From Working with Lenny Kravitz to Virtual Visits, the Creative Ways the Bahamas Director of Tourism is Keeping the Region Top of Mind... - June 1st, 2020
- Sailing vloggers defend isolation in Bahamian waters - EyeWitness News - June 1st, 2020
- BPC sets new date for oil exploration in The Bahamas - EyeWitness News - June 1st, 2020
- PHASE 3: Churches, gaming houses, and some island beaches open - EyeWitness News - June 1st, 2020
- Bahamas Petroleum Company highlights strong financial position as it awaits Perseverance exploration well - Proactive Investors UK - June 1st, 2020
- RBDF probing reports of couple isolating on uninhabited island - EyeWitness News - June 1st, 2020
- Small Cap Movers: Bahamas Petroleum rockets after scheduling start of exploration well - Proactive Investors UK - June 1st, 2020
- MOFA marks anniversary of Turin deaths, investigations still ongoing - EyeWitness News - June 1st, 2020
- Government to appeal historic Bahamian court ruling on citizenship - NYCaribNews - May 29th, 2020
- Severe weather warning for Central and Northwest Bahamas - EyeWitness News - May 29th, 2020
- Caribbean community organizations call for decisive action to end homophobic abuse and cyberbullying - UNAIDS - May 29th, 2020
- Commodore: Border patrol strategies expected to cont. to deter illegal landings - EyeWitness News - May 29th, 2020
- Battered Caribbean prepares for hurricanes amid pandemic - The Republic - May 29th, 2020
- Fiscal deficit projected to climb to $1.3 billion EyeWitness News - EyeWitness News - May 29th, 2020
- U.S. will not repatriate citizens still in The Bahamas - EyeWitness News - April 11th, 2020
- Cutler is waiting out the outbreak in The Bahamas - NBCSports.com - April 11th, 2020
- First Coast couple locked down in their boat home in the Bahamas - FirstCoastNews.com WTLV-WJXX - April 11th, 2020
- Spring break during the coronavirus pandemic: 'It's the opposite of the Bahamas' - Reading Eagle - April 11th, 2020
- Govt gives cash to help Bahamians stuck in US - Bahamas Tribune - April 11th, 2020
- Bahamas credit bureau still a work in progress - EyeWitness News - April 11th, 2020
- Bahamas Embassy informs seized medical supplies released with help from US Embassy - Magnetic Media - April 11th, 2020
- Niki & Gabi Are Taking Over the Bahamas in New AwesomenessTV Series - Celeb Secrets - April 11th, 2020
- 100000 Students in The Bahamas served with virtual Education; Minister's remarks - Magnetic Media - April 11th, 2020
- Another case, another death for The Bahamas on Thursday, reports Health Minister - Magnetic Media - April 11th, 2020
- Corrections commiss. satisfied with COVID-19 protocols to safeguard inmates and officers - EyeWitness News - April 11th, 2020
- US citizens urged to leave now - EyeWitness News - March 31st, 2020
- Carmelo Anthony: LeBron James saved my life during trip to Bahamas - syracuse.com - March 31st, 2020
- Caribbean Moment: A Perfect Sandbar in The Bahamas - Caribbean Journal - March 31st, 2020
- Luxury bunkers and private islands how the rich are self-isolating from the coronavirus - CNBC - March 31st, 2020
- New case of COVID-19 in Grand Bahama - Bahamas Tribune - March 31st, 2020
- Report: 600 being tracked in The Bahamas for signs of COVID-19 - Bahamas Tribune - March 31st, 2020
- Bahamas Striping donates protective gear to help combat COVID-19 - EyeWitness News - March 31st, 2020
- More than 700 COVID-19 cases in the region - EyeWitness News - March 31st, 2020
- UPDATED: Fifth case of COVID-19 is in Grand Bahama - Bahamas Tribune - March 31st, 2020
- Bahamas native named UCF president - EyeWitness News - March 31st, 2020
- Johnson warns Immigration permits at stake for breach of COVID-19 orders - EyeWitness News - March 31st, 2020
- One More Confirmed Case of COVID-19 and Amendments to the Bahamas Ministry of Health's COVID-19 Dashboard - The Eleutheran - March 31st, 2020
- Nearly $15 million of $20 million small business loan programme requested to-date - EyeWitness News - March 31st, 2020
- MFA advice to Bahamian Nationals abroad and Foreign Nationals in country after Bahamas border closure - The Eleutheran - March 31st, 2020
- Bahamas | Facts, History & News - March 5th, 2020
- Inside Kylie Jenners Lavish Bahamas Vacation Rental - Architectural Digest - March 5th, 2020
- Storm-ravaged Bahamas rebuilding its power grid with emphasis on solar energy - 60 Minutes - CBS News - March 5th, 2020
- Bahamas Races Ahead With Its 'Sand Dollar' Digital Currency - Bitcoinist - March 5th, 2020
- Beautiful Bimini: A Photo Guide to the Tiny Island in the Bahamas - TravelPulse - March 5th, 2020
- Bahamas and Bologna Go On the Offensive to Battle Coronavirus Concerns - TravelPulse Canada - March 5th, 2020
- Two charged in connection with murder on Grand Bahama - Bahamas Tribune - March 5th, 2020
- Media in the Digital Age Bahamas Press Club Stages Awards Ceremony - Magnetic Media - March 5th, 2020
- Bahamas braves the elements on mainline trip - Keighley News - March 5th, 2020
- First Solar To Grid In Ragged Island makes '60 Minutes' Appearance - Magnetic Media - March 5th, 2020
- Lemon Shark Gets a Snout Rub by Conservationist in the Bahamas - Yahoo News UK - March 5th, 2020
- Kylie Jenner shows off her new 'bronde' locks in the Bahamas - Goss.ie - March 5th, 2020
- Govt. working on transition to cashless society - EyeWitness News - March 5th, 2020
- Americares to expand Bahamas health care programs - The Advocate - February 21st, 2020
- Banyan Tree to Open Resort With Overwater Bungalows in The Bahamas - Caribbean Journal - February 21st, 2020
- Bahamas Estate Once Home to the Duke of Windsor and Wallis Simpson Hits the Market - Mansion Global - February 21st, 2020
- Former Bahamas Home Of The Duke Of Windsor And Wallis Simpson Goes On The Market - Forbes - February 21st, 2020
- Ecumenical Gathering with the NCC USA at Annunciation GOC in Bahamas - All Archdiocese News - Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America - February 21st, 2020
- Grant Williams vacationed with Carsen Edwards, others in the Bahamas - The Rookie Wire - February 21st, 2020
- AIBT & BFSB Joint Response The Bahamas Off The EU Blacklist - Mondaq News Alerts - February 21st, 2020
- Joe Giudice Dances to Milania's Song While Partying in the Bahamas (VIDEO) - Bravo - February 21st, 2020
- DPM: Bahamas has already satisfied over 30 of 40 FATF recommendations - EyeWitness News - February 21st, 2020
- OECD tax demands may 'devastate the economy' - Bahamas Tribune - February 21st, 2020
- Ministry Of Finance Statement: European Union Removes The Bahamas From Tax Watchlist - Mondaq News Alerts - February 21st, 2020
- Senior Bahamas Tourism Executive Receives Recognition Award from Premier Faith-Based Trade Association - South Florida Caribbean News - February 21st, 2020
- FIBA qualifier: Bahamas will have 10 players against Mexico - Bahamas Tribune - February 21st, 2020
- First look at Disneys new private island Lighthouse Point in the Bahamas - The Irish Sun - February 21st, 2020
- PM: Govt. will aggressively defend borders against illegal migration - EyeWitness News - February 21st, 2020
- Removal from the EU's Tax Watch List Confirms The Bahamas Has Implemented Necessary Reforms - Magnetic Media - February 21st, 2020
- Junior sailors take advantage of the 7th annual Youth Olympic Regatta - Bahamas Tribune - February 21st, 2020
- Airbnb is offering five people a free 2-month 'sabbatical' in the Bahamas - CNBC - January 30th, 2020
- Airbnb is sending 5 people on a 2-month 'sabbatical' to the Bahamas - Business Insider - Business Insider - January 30th, 2020
- Airbnb Wants to Send You on a Sabbatical to the Bahamas - msnNOW - January 30th, 2020
- World News Media Looks at How Financial Services in The Bahamas are Changing in the Latest Issue of World Finance - Yahoo Finance - January 30th, 2020
- Live in The Bahamas for two months with this Airbnb sabbatical - Leicestershire Live - January 30th, 2020
- Airbnb is offering a trip to the Bahamas and it's completely free - Mirror Online - January 30th, 2020
- The United States and The Bahamas Sign Air Transport Agreement - South Florida Caribbean News - January 30th, 2020
- Dream jobs: Airbnb is offering a sustainable sabbatical in The Bahamas - Stylist Magazine - January 30th, 2020