From France to Greece, Europe's top tourist destinations are gearing up to welcome visitors back this summer after the coronavirus pandemic wrecked last year's season.
The European Commission is working on a "Digital Green Pass" that would provide proof of vaccination and Covid test results, with the aim of making travel easier for people in the European Union and abroad.
The pass may be available from June, but countries are already getting ready for tourists.
Here is a look at the latest situation:
- France -
France was the world's top tourist destination before the pandemic in 2019 with 90 million visitors.
The government launched a multi-million-euro campaign on Tuesday to woo tourists.
Restrictions are gradually being lifted, with France's famous cafe terraces set to reopen on May 19 along with shops, museums and theatres.
Indoor spaces in restaurants and cafes will be allowed to reopen on June 9 with a near total return to normal by the end of the month.
But new restrictions could be imposed if cases exceed 400 infections per 100,000 inhabitants.
- Greece -
Athens last month lifted a seven-day quarantine period for travellers from the European Union, the United States, the United Kingdom, Israel, Serbia, the United Arab Emirates and other countries.
It reopened outdoor cafes and restaurants before France, on May 3.
Now it is hoping to make its idyllic islands Covid-free by giving them priority in the vaccination campaign, giving jabs to their entire adult population earlier than the rest of Greece.
Private beaches reopened Saturday and museums will follow suit on May 14. Outdoor cinemas will do so from May 21 although with reduced capacity and theatres will do the same from May 28.
Cruise ships and passengers will also be welcome at Greek ports, a boon as tourism is worth a 20 percent slice of Greece's GDP, according to the World Trade and Tourism Council (WTTC).
- Spain -
Spain was the second top tourist destination in the world afer France in 2019, with 83.5 million visitors. Visits crumbled by 77 percent last year.
Tourism represents 14.1 percent of Spain's economic activity.
Madrid has been a relative refuge for European tourists as bars, museums, restaurants and theatres have been left open since last June. Visitors only need to show a negative virus test over the previous 72 hours.
As of last Sunday, Spaniards can travel outside their region and the country's curfew has been lifted save for the Balearic Islands and Valencia region pending a judicial green light.
- Italy -
Italy plans to introduce its own Covid pass later this month ahead of the EU which will allow travel to every region of the country.
The certificate will be given to people who can show they were vaccinated or previously had Covid-19, or tested negative for the coronavirus.
The document will be available to people outside the EU, said Tourism Minister Massimo Garavaglia.
"The US and Britain represent 30 percent of foreign arrivals in Italy. They are tourists who spend a lot," he said.
Cruises have resumed in Italian ports while bars and restaurants can serve people outside again.
Italy welcomed 64.5 million foreign visitors in 2019, according to the World Tourism Organization.
- Malta -
The Mediterranean island of Malta, which received 2.8 million tourists in 2019, is to offer the first 38,000 visitors 200 euros ($243) towards a minimum three-night hotel stay.
The sum must be spent in the country and will be increased by 10 percent for trips to the isle of Gozo.
Malta may demand that visitors be vaccinated or show a negative Covid test before arrival if Covid-19 is not under control in their country of origin.
Read the original:
- Renting out your own private island may be cheaper than you think here are 13 incredible Airbnbs - Business Insider - July 25th, 2021
- Five Homes on Maine Islands You Don't Want to Miss Out On - Boston magazine - July 25th, 2021
- Cornering the market with the next big thing in retail - The Times - July 25th, 2021
- Marymount team helps in statewide effort to address 'heat islands' - Inside NoVA - July 25th, 2021
- 10 "No-No's" of Cruising After the Pandemic - Cruzely.com - July 25th, 2021
- We bought a $62,000 sailboat and moved in - Toronto Life - July 25th, 2021
- Exploring the Elizabeth Islands (and swimming with cows) - The Boston Globe - July 7th, 2021
- Holiday on Welsh private island goes viral on TikTok and stuns people around the world - Wales Online - July 7th, 2021
- Beautiful Scottish island goes on sale for the same price as Edinburgh city centre flat - Edinburgh Live - July 7th, 2021
- Secluded Camp with 4,000 ft of Lake Frontage in NY's Adirondacks Scheduled for Luxury Auction July 16th - PRNewswire - July 7th, 2021
- Ed Sheeran had to be talked out of buying an island and moving to Ghana - NME - July 7th, 2021
- The private Scottish island you can buy for the same price as a London flat - My London - July 7th, 2021
- 17 Sunny Photos of the Royal Family at the Beach - TownandCountrymag.com - July 7th, 2021
- Traveling to the Maldives during Covid-19: What you need to know before you go - KTVZ - July 7th, 2021
- What's New In The Bahamas In July - PRNewswire - PRNewswire - July 7th, 2021
- Revisiting The Island of Dr. Moreau: Marlon Brandos fever dream - Far Out Magazine - July 7th, 2021
- The Best Room at ... The Four Seasons Anguilla - TownandCountrymag.com - July 7th, 2021
- I went on Royal Caribbean's 7-day vaccinated cruise to the Bahamas - Business Insider - July 7th, 2021
- If you love travel then Netflix's The World's Most Amazing Vacation Rentals is your next watch - Woman & Home - July 7th, 2021
- Taxing tourists is helping the Balearic islands to give back to sustainable initiatives - Euronews - June 28th, 2021
- Escape to one of these 10 New England islands for your next vacation - USA Today 10Best - June 28th, 2021
- Some neighborhoods in DC can be 20 degrees hotter than other areas. Here's why - WUSA9.com - June 28th, 2021
- Where is the Love Island villa and can I stay there? - Manchester Evening News - June 28th, 2021
- Calilo a work of art on the Greek island of Ios - Travel Weekly - June 27th, 2021
- The perfect getaway: An interview with Luis D. Ortiz of Netflix's The World's Most Amazing Vacations Rentals - Charleston Post Courier - June 27th, 2021
- Yugo Private Aviation expands in Southeast Asia - Business Wire - June 27th, 2021
- Rare chance to own a renovated cottage on a private Welsh island - Wales Online - June 27th, 2021
- Would you like to stay in an igloo when your trip resumes? - Ohionewstime.com - June 27th, 2021
- Private aviation firm Yugo pursuing growth in PHL - BusinessWorld Online - June 27th, 2021
- Behind the Scenes: On the Hunt for the Real Ghislaine Maxwell - Rolling Stone - June 27th, 2021
- This Private Island for Rent in Greece is Heaven on Earth A private island available to - Greek Reporter - June 23rd, 2021
- Netflixs New Series "The Worlds Most Amazing Vacation Rentals" Is Giving Us the Travel Inspiration We Need - HouseBeautiful.com - June 23rd, 2021
- Find The Worlds Most Amazing Vacation Rentals on Netflix - The Detroit News - June 23rd, 2021
- The Ritz-Carlton Debuts In Turks & Caicos Hospitality Net - Hospitality Net - June 23rd, 2021
- Library bookmark contest... - Journal of the San Juan Islands - June 23rd, 2021
- Why I had no hesitations booking 2 cruises this summer - Business Insider - June 23rd, 2021
- An AZ of Greek islands and how to plan the perfect trip - Telegraph.co.uk - Telegraph.co.uk - June 23rd, 2021
- Bill Clinton and Jeffrey Epstein really are more scandalous than Prince Andrew Film Daily - Film Daily - June 23rd, 2021
- How to Rent Out Four of the Most Exclusive Private Islands on Earth - InsideHook - June 15th, 2021
- Disney is Still Moving Forward with Second Private Destination in the Bahamas - Cruise Hive - June 15th, 2021
- 7-Day Sailing Trip to The British Virgin Islands - AFAR Media - June 15th, 2021
- Why Private Travel Is The Newest Trend For Vacationers Private Travel - Upscale Living Magazine - June 15th, 2021
- Where Sun, Sand and Splendor Are Still to Be Discovered - The New York Times - June 15th, 2021
- A Japanese-Inspired Villa Hits the Market on the British Virgin Islands - Dwell - June 15th, 2021
- A Birding Adventure in Arizonas Sky Islands - The New York Times - June 15th, 2021
- Financing considerations for take-private transactions in the Cayman Islands - Lexology - June 15th, 2021
- Turks and Caicos Islands issued a Level 1 Notice from the CDC - eTurboNews | Trends | Travel News - June 15th, 2021
- A local's ultimate guide to visiting St. Martin, an island in the Caribbean - Insider - June 15th, 2021
- Hudson Valley On The Water: 5 Islands Park Kayak Excursions - Patch.com - June 15th, 2021
- Private Funding of Legal Services Act, 2020: the codification and expansion of litigation funding in the Cayman Islands - Lexology - June 2nd, 2021
- Cruises are finally returning to U.S. ports here's what will be different post-COVID - MarketWatch - June 2nd, 2021
- First Look: The Ritz-Carlton Opens Its First Resort in the Maldives - Robb Report - June 2nd, 2021
- Traveling to the Maldives during Covid-19: What you need to know before you go - KRDO - June 2nd, 2021
- Culture Talk: Lisa Howie on Organizing Inaugural Atlantic World Art Fair, Online Event Features Works by Artists From Caribbean and Atlantic Islands -... - June 2nd, 2021
- OMG, I Want to Rent That House: Ibiza, Spain The Daily Beast - Daily Beast - June 2nd, 2021
- Join the luxury villa club with Stay One Degree - The Week UK - June 2nd, 2021
- Unparalleled Luxury Embraces the Circle of Island Life with the Debut of the Ritz-Carlton Maldives, Fari Islands - Yahoo Finance - June 2nd, 2021
- Tourism is Back and it Starts in The Seychelles With a Boom! - Al-Bawaba - June 2nd, 2021
- Post-COVID cruising: The ships are back at sea, but where can they go? - Yahoo News - June 2nd, 2021
- Everything you need to know about a Fiji and Pacific Islands travel bubble, and which islands to visit - Nine - June 2nd, 2021
- Open letter to the Lopez community | Guest... - Islands' Weekly - June 2nd, 2021
- 10 Private Islands That You Can Rent on Airbnb - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 24th, 2021
- L'Voyage Expands with New Shareholder and New Plans - Aviation International News - May 24th, 2021
- How to Build Anywhere in the Caribbean - Caribbean Journal - May 24th, 2021
- COMPETITION: Win a spectacular private island staycation in idyllic Clew Bay for you and your housemates - JOE.ie - May 24th, 2021
- Survey reveals who's willing to cruise - News - University of Florida - University of Florida - May 24th, 2021
- Here's Everything Worth A Watch On Netflix In June 2021 - Secret Manchester - May 24th, 2021
- Yorkshire jeweller becomes an unexpected tourist attraction - in the Falkland Islands - The Yorkshire Post - May 24th, 2021
- The Worlds Largest Private Residential Yacht Will Be Back on the Water This Summer - Robb Report - May 24th, 2021
- WATCH: This New Netflix Series Takes You Inside the World's Most Amazing Vacation Home Rentals - Yahoo Entertainment - May 24th, 2021
- Where Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination Is Required - Healthline - May 24th, 2021
- Mackinac Islands Sip n Sail boat offers new cruises, including 5 oclock Somewhere - MLive.com - May 24th, 2021
- The Best Outer Banks Vacation Rentals 2021, from Beachfront Bungalows to Family-Friendly Retreats - Cond Nast Traveler - May 24th, 2021
- Traveling to the Maldives during Covid-19: What you need to know before you go - Gwinnettdailypost.com - May 11th, 2021
- Pandemic, where are we heading to? - The Times of India Blog - May 11th, 2021
- Heres how to book a glamorous spot to go glamping - MarketWatch - May 11th, 2021
- Rarotonga bubble ready: Cook Islands' advice to Kiwi visitors - New Zealand Herald - May 11th, 2021
- Private parking spaces in Provincetown near $100K each in densest parts of town - Wicked Local - May 11th, 2021
- He was on vacation that cost 15,000 Johnson was examined - asumetech - May 11th, 2021
- School Garden Iniative Continues To Grow - Government of the Virgin Islands - May 11th, 2021