Seven games to go, 13 goals needed. The equation presented to Robert Lewandowski as he chases down a 48-year-old record for individual goalscoring looks starker perhaps than it did in early March. But then you remember this is Lewandowski, spearhead of a Bayern Munich for whom the pause in the season has applied no brakes, and a man who can conjure up hat-tricks in the time it takes to grill a steak.
Lewandowski will on Tuesday return to the arena where he first made his world-class reputation, Borussia Dortmunds Westfalen stadium, entrusted with stymying his former clubs latest attempt to deprive league-leaders Bayern, four points above Dortmund, of the Bundesliga title.
It is the purpose for which Bayern hired the prolific Pole in 2014; Dortmund had become potent enough with Lewandowski as their centre-forward to win consecutive leagues, in 2011 and 2012. Since Lewandowski moved south, every single Bundesliga has been his and Bayerns.
Plainly, there is no No 9 of the past 10 years in elite European football who so guarantees a league title, and, plainly, at 31, Lewandowski is still gaining in potency. His 41 goals this season, across competitions, are a staggering yield, though it is the 27 from the 25 Bundesliga fixtures he has played that may yet usher him to immortality. Reach 40 for the league season, and he will match the record that could never be broken, Gerd Mullers 40 for Bayern in 1971/72.
Seven games to go, 13 needed. A tall order. But for a footballer who once scored five in a second half against Wolfsburg and rattled in four within 15 minutes at Red Star Belgrade, it is a stimulating, not an overbearing target. All the more while Lewandowski hears it being murmured that his pre-eminence as the finest finisher in the Bundesliga is under lively challenge from a sensational newcomer.
Dortmunds Erling Braut Haaland is, in many respects, exactly where Lewandowski was a decade ago. In the summer of 2010, Dortmund signed the then 21-year-old Lewandowski from Lech Poznan. He was already an international, a rapid riser in his domestic league, but it was still a capture of great foresight, like many Dortmund would make in the decade to follow.
In the first month of 2020, Haaland, 19, became the latest, a centre-forward of enormous potential, a striker recruited young from abroad as Lewandowski, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Ousmane Dembele, Christian Pulisic and Jadon Sancho were and encouraged by the clubs willingness to give opportunity to ambitious tyros.
The Norwegian Haaland, who joined from RB Salzburg in Austria, half expects that, like Aubameyang (now of Arsenal), Dembele (Barcelona) and Pulisic (Chelsea), he will move on from Dortmund with much of his career still ahead of him. Dortmund can confidently anticipate, even in the likely recession following the coronavirus crisis, they will sell him having done very well on the investment.
Haaland, 19, cost around 20 million (Dh80m) in January. He joined the Bundesliga mid-season, a tricky time for a freshman to come in, and he made his Dortmund debut as a substitute 11 minutes into a hazardous trip to Augsburg, where at 3-1 down, the visitors title aspirations were being derailed. Enter the blond blitz: Haaland had his first goal, set up by Sancho, within three minutes. He had completed his hat-trick 20 minutes later.
Thats the sort of trick only a Lewandowski, or a Messi or a Ronaldo, tends to pull off more than once. Except Haaland, tall, immensely powerful and apparently fearless, kept on. In the Bundesliga he already has 10 goals from as many appearances. In the Champions League, where he scored eight times in the group stage for Salzburg, he scored both Dortmunds goals in the 2-1 win over Paris Saint-Germain in February. His Dortmund strike-rate is a goal every 70 minutes. Thats the sort of trick that put Muller into the record books 48 years ago.
Lewandowski and Haaland share certain characteristics. Theres the genes. Both come from sporting families, Haaland the son of the former Norway midfielder Alf-Inge Haaland, who had a long career in the English Premier League. Lewandowski is the son of an international judoka and a top-level volleyball player. A drive for self-improvement seems second-nature to both. While the opposition penalty area is their most productive domain, neither would gladly be classified as solely a target man, or merely a finisher.
On these two figures, the greatest goalscorer in German football of the 2010s, and perhaps the dominant centre-forward of the 2020s, may the outcome of the Bundesliga title hang. Win on Tuesday, and Haaland will sense his Dortmund have seized the momentum.
Updated: May 25, 2020 05:38 PM
See original here:
- The Old Guard's New Trailer Dives Into the Painful Side of Immortality - Gizmodo UK - July 6th, 2020
- Charlize Theron in The Old Guard on Netflix: Film Review - Variety - July 6th, 2020
- Doctor Who Theory: How Rassilon Fits Into The Timeless Child Retcon - Screen Rant - July 6th, 2020
- Its Negligence: Young People Hosting Coronavirus Parties, Betting On Who Gets Infected First - CBS Pittsburgh - July 6th, 2020
- Through a Blur of Migratory Birds, Photographer Sankar Sridhar Captures the Rituals of the Yamuna River - Colossal - July 6th, 2020
- Carli Lloyd: I Want Young Players To Be Inspired By My Journey - Forbes - July 6th, 2020
- Altered Carbon Season 3 : Release Date, Cast, Plot And Other News - Auto Freak - July 6th, 2020
- Madhya Pradeshs new cabinet shows that a slow Congressisation of the BJP is happening - ThePrint - July 6th, 2020
- Batman Beyond Just Brought The Future [SPOILER] Back To Life - Screen Rant - July 6th, 2020
- A battle to defend the soul of football: How Spain achieved immortality at the 2010 World Cup - The Independent - June 17th, 2020
- Dream Team missed date with immortality - The Herald - June 17th, 2020
- Virtual U.S. Open: Palmer, Boros and other challengers - Pro Golf Now - June 17th, 2020
- Health benefits of giloy juice and easy kadha recipes - Times of India - June 17th, 2020
- Where do you want Liverpool to win Premier League title and what do you predict will happen? - Liverpool Echo - June 17th, 2020
- Stephen King Has a Friday the 13th Book He Wants to Write About Jason Voorhees - MovieWeb - June 17th, 2020
- Star Wars Just Wiped Darth Plagueis Backstory From Continuity - We Got This Covered - June 17th, 2020
- Bravery in service of the US | Keizertimes | You think you know. To be sure, read Keizertimes. - Keizertimes - June 17th, 2020
- The Afterlife of George Floyd: A Portfolio by Photographer Eli Reed - The Cut - June 17th, 2020
- American Horror Story: Every Character Who Became The Supreme - Screen Rant - June 17th, 2020
- Why is the 2000s the PBA's forgotten decade? - ESPN - June 17th, 2020
- Guardian: The Lonely and Great God Season 2 What Is The Status Of Renewal? And Is It Cancelled? - Pop Culture Times - June 17th, 2020
- Bihar will get nothing from personal attack on me, focus on real issues: Tejashwi tells BJP, Nitish - Outlook India - June 13th, 2020
- Judd Apatow Tells How the Wallflowers One Headlight Came to Illuminate King of Staten Island: Its Personal - Variety - June 13th, 2020
- NOS4A2 Viewing Guide: What You Need to Know Going into Season 2 - Anglophenia - June 13th, 2020
- How racism revealed the fragility of an entire sport - Majorca Daily Bulletin - June 13th, 2020
- Book World: Those who built the bomb, those who used it and those who survived it - Alton Telegraph - June 13th, 2020
- Bahrain king pardons 16 jailed OFWs; 11 deported to PH - UNTV News - UNTV News - June 13th, 2020
- Netflix Said No to Streaming Tommy Wiseau's The Room - MovieWeb - June 13th, 2020
- Dinosaur toys and golf clubs: the strange things astronauts take to the moon - The Guardian - June 13th, 2020
- Copa America: Will 12-month delay enhance Messi and Argentina's chances of glory? - Yahoo! Voices - June 13th, 2020
- 10 Inspirational Quotes by Swami Vivekananda For a Life of Freedom And Tranquility - India.com - June 13th, 2020
- Does Thanos Have Superpowers (WITHOUT Infinity Stones)? - Screen Rant - June 13th, 2020
- Kansas City Chiefs Who Could Be Future Hall of Famers (Part 2) - Chiefs Digest - June 13th, 2020
- The Eternals When Can We Expect It In Theatres? What Leaks Are Coming And What Are New Updates? - Pop Culture Times - June 13th, 2020
- What Does It Mean to Tear Down a Statue? - The New York Times - June 13th, 2020
- Less than zero: how Pointlesss tweaked finale made fools of us all - The Guardian - May 25th, 2020
- A zombie apocalypse, a surprise hook-up, and brutal deaths in the latest Legends of Tomorrow - SYFY WIRE - May 25th, 2020
- Star Wars Confirms DEATH Affects Sith and Jedi the Same - in One KEY Way - CBR - Comic Book Resources - May 25th, 2020
- They fought and died, and we remember - The Register-Guard - May 24th, 2020
- Grafite: The Tale of One of the Bundesliga's Greatest Ever One-Season Wonders - 90min - May 24th, 2020
- The last days of history - Part 13Sunday Magazine - Guardian - May 24th, 2020
- 'Henry tried every day to be the best' - Vela says Jordan's Last Dance documentary conjured memories of Arsenal icon - Goal.com - May 24th, 2020
- Elliott Mortuary to host events in Madisonville | Local News - The Messenger - May 24th, 2020
- Read this before you watch The Old Guard - Looper - May 24th, 2020
- 10 New Switch Titles Releasing This Week - SwitchWatch - May 24th, 2020
- From the archives: CSM wins first Nor Cal title - San Mateo Daily Journal - May 24th, 2020
- David Charters: Grumbling oil boiler offers thoughts of immortality - Liverpool Echo - April 11th, 2020
- Hope Is an Important Part of Judaism | Bob Ryan - The Times of Israel - April 11th, 2020
- Teen paperboy with vampire obsession ripped elderly woman's heart out and drank her blood to be immortal - MEAWW - April 11th, 2020
- Lactomeda: the future of humanity | Science - The Union Journal - April 11th, 2020
- Westworld Season 3 Has Almost the Same Plot as Captain America: The Winter Soldier - The Mary Sue - April 11th, 2020
- 21st Century Westerns: The Alamo - Cowboys and Indians - April 11th, 2020
- Last Witch Hunter 2: Vin Diesel Hints Script Is Being Worked On Now - Screen Rant - April 11th, 2020
- Remembering two members of the Marin music community - Marin Independent Journal - April 11th, 2020
- The Nike Adidas Puma Olympic Battle Will Have to Wait - Barron's - March 26th, 2020
- Christ Provides the Antidote to Fear Amid Coronavirus - National Catholic Register - March 26th, 2020
- The Vampire Diaries: The 10 Most Hated Storylines | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - March 26th, 2020
- Today's Gospel in Art - The Annunciation of the Lord - Independent Catholic News - March 26th, 2020
- Doctor Who: The Top 10 Tenth Doctor Episodes, Ranked According to IMDb - Screen Rant - March 26th, 2020
- 48 SECONDS FROM IMMORTALITY: The story of the 1990 Concord Minutemen - Goshen News - March 24th, 2020
- Ginkgo: The Tree of Immortality | NCPR News - North Country Public Radio - March 24th, 2020
- Boost your spirits with fun rom-coms - Boston Herald - March 24th, 2020
- Alex Salmond: from the brink of independence to a court room - FRANCE 24 - March 24th, 2020
- With only 4k miles, this 1982 Mercedes-Benz 300SD will outlive us all - Autoblog - March 24th, 2020
- We're as lonely as a cloud but the Romance isn't dead - The Guardian - March 24th, 2020
- How Altered Carbon: Resleeved Connects to Season 2 | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - March 24th, 2020
- In Times of Crisis, We Need To Inject Reason into Debates over Faith - The Libertarian Republic - March 24th, 2020
- Neutralize COVID-19 hysteria with faith and kindness toward neighbors - Washington Times - March 24th, 2020
- '80s Movie Quotes Every Kid From the '80s Knows By Heart - Best Life - March 24th, 2020
- Questioning the Shutdown | RR Reno - First Things - March 24th, 2020
- Liberty shackled and the future blighted: RIP Europe, 312 - 2020 - The Conservative Woman - March 24th, 2020
- Westworld series refresher, what you need to know before season 3 - Show Snob - March 24th, 2020
- Immortality by 2050: Humans very close to everlasting life - February 27th, 2020
- Sports Perseverance leads Tres Tinkle to cusp of Oregon State immortality Kyle Hansen 9:38 AM - KPAX-TV - February 27th, 2020
- Syracuse basketball has clinched immortality for the 2nd straight season - Inside the Loud House - February 27th, 2020
- Why Dodgers' Great Willie Davis Received a Grand Total of Zero Hall of Fame Votes - Sports Illustrated - February 27th, 2020
- Everything You Need to Know to Watch 'Altered Carbon' Season 2 on Netflix - Newsweek - February 27th, 2020
- Local News Mom spreads kindness to honor her young son who died in 2018 KMTV Staff - KMTV - 3 News Now - February 27th, 2020
- Alfred Jarry at the Morgan Library - Apollo Magazine - February 27th, 2020
- Features | Strange World Of... | The Strange World Of... Tom Smith/ To Live And Shave In LA - The Quietus - February 27th, 2020