Seven games to go, 13 goals needed. The equation presented to Robert Lewandowski as he chases down a 48-year-old record for individual goalscoring looks starker perhaps than it did in early March. But then you remember this is Lewandowski, spearhead of a Bayern Munich for whom the pause in the season has applied no brakes, and a man who can conjure up hat-tricks in the time it takes to grill a steak.
Lewandowski will on Tuesday return to the arena where he first made his world-class reputation, Borussia Dortmunds Westfalen stadium, entrusted with stymying his former clubs latest attempt to deprive league-leaders Bayern, four points above Dortmund, of the Bundesliga title.
It is the purpose for which Bayern hired the prolific Pole in 2014; Dortmund had become potent enough with Lewandowski as their centre-forward to win consecutive leagues, in 2011 and 2012. Since Lewandowski moved south, every single Bundesliga has been his and Bayerns.
Plainly, there is no No 9 of the past 10 years in elite European football who so guarantees a league title, and, plainly, at 31, Lewandowski is still gaining in potency. His 41 goals this season, across competitions, are a staggering yield, though it is the 27 from the 25 Bundesliga fixtures he has played that may yet usher him to immortality. Reach 40 for the league season, and he will match the record that could never be broken, Gerd Mullers 40 for Bayern in 1971/72.
Seven games to go, 13 needed. A tall order. But for a footballer who once scored five in a second half against Wolfsburg and rattled in four within 15 minutes at Red Star Belgrade, it is a stimulating, not an overbearing target. All the more while Lewandowski hears it being murmured that his pre-eminence as the finest finisher in the Bundesliga is under lively challenge from a sensational newcomer.
Dortmunds Erling Braut Haaland is, in many respects, exactly where Lewandowski was a decade ago. In the summer of 2010, Dortmund signed the then 21-year-old Lewandowski from Lech Poznan. He was already an international, a rapid riser in his domestic league, but it was still a capture of great foresight, like many Dortmund would make in the decade to follow.
In the first month of 2020, Haaland, 19, became the latest, a centre-forward of enormous potential, a striker recruited young from abroad as Lewandowski, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Ousmane Dembele, Christian Pulisic and Jadon Sancho were and encouraged by the clubs willingness to give opportunity to ambitious tyros.
The Norwegian Haaland, who joined from RB Salzburg in Austria, half expects that, like Aubameyang (now of Arsenal), Dembele (Barcelona) and Pulisic (Chelsea), he will move on from Dortmund with much of his career still ahead of him. Dortmund can confidently anticipate, even in the likely recession following the coronavirus crisis, they will sell him having done very well on the investment.
Haaland, 19, cost around 20 million (Dh80m) in January. He joined the Bundesliga mid-season, a tricky time for a freshman to come in, and he made his Dortmund debut as a substitute 11 minutes into a hazardous trip to Augsburg, where at 3-1 down, the visitors title aspirations were being derailed. Enter the blond blitz: Haaland had his first goal, set up by Sancho, within three minutes. He had completed his hat-trick 20 minutes later.
Thats the sort of trick only a Lewandowski, or a Messi or a Ronaldo, tends to pull off more than once. Except Haaland, tall, immensely powerful and apparently fearless, kept on. In the Bundesliga he already has 10 goals from as many appearances. In the Champions League, where he scored eight times in the group stage for Salzburg, he scored both Dortmunds goals in the 2-1 win over Paris Saint-Germain in February. His Dortmund strike-rate is a goal every 70 minutes. Thats the sort of trick that put Muller into the record books 48 years ago.
Lewandowski and Haaland share certain characteristics. Theres the genes. Both come from sporting families, Haaland the son of the former Norway midfielder Alf-Inge Haaland, who had a long career in the English Premier League. Lewandowski is the son of an international judoka and a top-level volleyball player. A drive for self-improvement seems second-nature to both. While the opposition penalty area is their most productive domain, neither would gladly be classified as solely a target man, or merely a finisher.
On these two figures, the greatest goalscorer in German football of the 2010s, and perhaps the dominant centre-forward of the 2020s, may the outcome of the Bundesliga title hang. Win on Tuesday, and Haaland will sense his Dortmund have seized the momentum.
Updated: May 25, 2020 05:38 PM
See original here:
- A Year of Free Comics: Immortality isnt all that it seems in LIVE FOREVER - Comics Beat - August 26th, 2020
- Under Ben Bulben: Neymar And A Saga Of Resurrection And Immortality - World Football Index - August 26th, 2020
- Rick and Morty plot hole: Rick's ride on the Whirly Dirly creates huge immortality blunder - Express - August 26th, 2020
- Sleeps With Monsters: Into the Woods With Emily Tesh and Carrie Vaughn - tor.com - August 26th, 2020
- Emily Dickinson is the unlikely hero of our time - Fairfield Citizen - August 26th, 2020
- Doom Patrol Leaves the Fate of the Whole Team Up in the Air | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - August 26th, 2020
- Parenting in a pandemic? Your teen is counting on you more than ever - Your Valley - August 26th, 2020
- ALLEN IVERSON PAYS TRIBUTE TO KOBE Greatness needs company, and we needed each other. - Basketball Network - August 26th, 2020
- Lovecraft Country: Why the Sons of Adams Ritual Failed | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - August 26th, 2020
- Lord of the Rings: 10 Things That Make No Sense About Orcs - Screen Rant - August 26th, 2020
- Hakuho may be on path to becoming great stablemaster if latest recruit pans out - The Japan Times - August 26th, 2020
- The Unbelievable True Story Of How The Memphis Pyramid Became A Bass Pro Shops - Forbes - August 26th, 2020
- American Horror Story: Every Immortal Character In The Show - Screen Rant - August 20th, 2020
- A look back at the faces of 170 years ago and more - Key West Florida Weekly - August 20th, 2020
- Moussa Dembele and the YouTube obsession that has Celtic icon on verge of Champions League immortality - Daily Record - August 20th, 2020
- Words from the Heart: The Message | Columnists | thesuntimes.com - Heber Springs Sun-Times - August 20th, 2020
- Eagles, the worshipped bird of prey of the ancient civilizations - Egypttoday - August 20th, 2020
- 'Burgh's Best to Wear It, No. 13: From midgets to the NFL, Dan Marino wore lucky number - TribLIVE - August 20th, 2020
- Ashton Kutcher Burned an Original Artwork to Promote a New Blockchain Marketplace Where Art Can (Kind of) Live Forever - artnet News - August 20th, 2020
- Aug. 19, 1951: Before Eddie Gaedel went to the plate, the Post-Dispatch got a heads-up - Houston Herald - August 20th, 2020
- 10 Questions We Have After Watching The Old Guard | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - August 20th, 2020
- Emotional character study 'The Truth' opens at the Ross this Friday - Daily Nebraskan - August 20th, 2020
- Astrology 2020: Message of the Day (August 20) - NewsroomPost - August 20th, 2020
- Why This Russian Billionaire Is Creating A Virtual Reality World For Music Festivals And Concerts - Forbes - August 20th, 2020
- Immortality or Bust - Film Threat - July 21st, 2020
- Keanu Reeves New Comic Book Is About An Immortal, But Its Not Autobiographical - Comic Years - July 21st, 2020
- Here's how you can win over 83 years of free Netflix service - Retail News Asia - July 21st, 2020
- Meryl Streep's Funniest Movie Characters and Their Best Moments - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - July 21st, 2020
- A Conversation With Director Gina Prince-Bythewood : 1A - NPR - July 21st, 2020
- ATEMS graduation allows Class of 2020 to rise from the ashes of a broken year - Abilene Reporter-News - July 21st, 2020
- Looking at nature, death, and immortality with a famous poet - McDonough Voice - July 17th, 2020
- The Old Guard: Why Andy Loses Her Immortality | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - July 17th, 2020
- Netflixs The Old Guard: A revolutionary, ancient gay romance - Vox.com - July 17th, 2020
- Where father, son correspond - Featured - The Island Now - July 17th, 2020
- Rockfield Studios: Where Ozzy, Oasis, Queen and Coldplay took off - BBC News - July 17th, 2020
- American Vampire by Snyder & Albuquerque returns this October with '70s setting and vibe - GamesRadar+ - July 17th, 2020
- The Old Guard ending explained and sequel news - RadioTimes - July 17th, 2020
- Fun, Guns, and Mum: New Stuff to Watch! - Omaha Reader - July 17th, 2020
- Warrior Nun Ending Explained What Happens to Ava and Adriel at the End of Warrior Nun? - Esquire - July 17th, 2020
- The 8 desires of human life and how to fulfill them - Times Now - July 17th, 2020
- Decade's best No. 1: Loyalsock's baseball team won 2013 PIAA Class AA title in one of state's most exciting finals | News, Sports, Jobs - Williamsport... - July 17th, 2020
- The only shame is that Liverpool brilliance will escape history books - Football365.com - July 17th, 2020
- The Old Guard revs up the senses with great action and fascinating story - culturemap.com - July 17th, 2020
- When There is Despair, There Will Be Hate Too. And That's Not a Bad Thing - The Wire - July 17th, 2020
- The Old Guard's New Trailer Dives Into the Painful Side of Immortality - Gizmodo UK - July 6th, 2020
- Charlize Theron in The Old Guard on Netflix: Film Review - Variety - July 6th, 2020
- Doctor Who Theory: How Rassilon Fits Into The Timeless Child Retcon - Screen Rant - July 6th, 2020
- Its Negligence: Young People Hosting Coronavirus Parties, Betting On Who Gets Infected First - CBS Pittsburgh - July 6th, 2020
- Through a Blur of Migratory Birds, Photographer Sankar Sridhar Captures the Rituals of the Yamuna River - Colossal - July 6th, 2020
- Carli Lloyd: I Want Young Players To Be Inspired By My Journey - Forbes - July 6th, 2020
- Altered Carbon Season 3 : Release Date, Cast, Plot And Other News - Auto Freak - July 6th, 2020
- Madhya Pradeshs new cabinet shows that a slow Congressisation of the BJP is happening - ThePrint - July 6th, 2020
- Batman Beyond Just Brought The Future [SPOILER] Back To Life - Screen Rant - July 6th, 2020
- A battle to defend the soul of football: How Spain achieved immortality at the 2010 World Cup - The Independent - June 17th, 2020
- Dream Team missed date with immortality - The Herald - June 17th, 2020
- Virtual U.S. Open: Palmer, Boros and other challengers - Pro Golf Now - June 17th, 2020
- Health benefits of giloy juice and easy kadha recipes - Times of India - June 17th, 2020
- Where do you want Liverpool to win Premier League title and what do you predict will happen? - Liverpool Echo - June 17th, 2020
- Stephen King Has a Friday the 13th Book He Wants to Write About Jason Voorhees - MovieWeb - June 17th, 2020
- Star Wars Just Wiped Darth Plagueis Backstory From Continuity - We Got This Covered - June 17th, 2020
- Bravery in service of the US | Keizertimes | You think you know. To be sure, read Keizertimes. - Keizertimes - June 17th, 2020
- The Afterlife of George Floyd: A Portfolio by Photographer Eli Reed - The Cut - June 17th, 2020
- American Horror Story: Every Character Who Became The Supreme - Screen Rant - June 17th, 2020
- Why is the 2000s the PBA's forgotten decade? - ESPN - June 17th, 2020
- Guardian: The Lonely and Great God Season 2 What Is The Status Of Renewal? And Is It Cancelled? - Pop Culture Times - June 17th, 2020
- Bihar will get nothing from personal attack on me, focus on real issues: Tejashwi tells BJP, Nitish - Outlook India - June 13th, 2020
- Judd Apatow Tells How the Wallflowers One Headlight Came to Illuminate King of Staten Island: Its Personal - Variety - June 13th, 2020
- NOS4A2 Viewing Guide: What You Need to Know Going into Season 2 - Anglophenia - June 13th, 2020
- How racism revealed the fragility of an entire sport - Majorca Daily Bulletin - June 13th, 2020
- Book World: Those who built the bomb, those who used it and those who survived it - Alton Telegraph - June 13th, 2020
- Bahrain king pardons 16 jailed OFWs; 11 deported to PH - UNTV News - UNTV News - June 13th, 2020
- Netflix Said No to Streaming Tommy Wiseau's The Room - MovieWeb - June 13th, 2020
- Dinosaur toys and golf clubs: the strange things astronauts take to the moon - The Guardian - June 13th, 2020
- Copa America: Will 12-month delay enhance Messi and Argentina's chances of glory? - Yahoo! Voices - June 13th, 2020
- 10 Inspirational Quotes by Swami Vivekananda For a Life of Freedom And Tranquility - India.com - June 13th, 2020
- Does Thanos Have Superpowers (WITHOUT Infinity Stones)? - Screen Rant - June 13th, 2020
- Kansas City Chiefs Who Could Be Future Hall of Famers (Part 2) - Chiefs Digest - June 13th, 2020
- The Eternals When Can We Expect It In Theatres? What Leaks Are Coming And What Are New Updates? - Pop Culture Times - June 13th, 2020
- What Does It Mean to Tear Down a Statue? - The New York Times - June 13th, 2020
- Less than zero: how Pointlesss tweaked finale made fools of us all - The Guardian - May 25th, 2020