Of the many things that COVID-19 has made abundantly clear to us, surely one of them is a newfound realization that public health has become increasingly complex. Understanding the challenges to public health that is, the task of guarding the well-being of the U.S. population is essential now more than ever.
As an engineer, design futurist and graduate program director, I have seen how COVID-19 has transformed how public health preparedness is viewed and understood. Some say the pandemic has delivered an urgency for a reimagining of public health.
From problems in producing PPE that demonstrate the vulnerabilities in critical supply chains to solutions in vaccine distribution challenges that leverage innovative public-private partnerships, new perspectives and approaches to public health are necessary.
A way to accomplish this: using health care engineering, or more specifically, the application of systems engineering in health care. Systems engineering is defined as an interdisciplinary approach and means to enable the realization of successful systems. These could include such complex systems as aircraft and spacecraft systems. Already, this concept is flourishing. Research centers throughout the U.S., including those at the Mayo Clinic and Northeastern Universitys Healthcare Systems Engineering, suggest challenges such as patient safety could be made better by applying systems engineering principles and techniques through more holistic and human-centered approaches to systems design.
These efforts have proven helpful to health care delivery in response to COVID-19. But more is required, particularly in the use of systems engineering in informing public health responses and interventions. A field of public health systems engineering is needed.
Its intent: to develop and apply systemic and integrated approaches to understanding and solving public health problems. Formalizing a field of public health systems engineering focused on health care at the population level offers the needed research and educational pathways to advance this work.
Examples of this include designing and developing personal protective equipment, repairing the vulnerabilities in the food supply chain, and grappling with vaccine logistics. COVID-19 has made clear the growing interconnected, interdisciplinary and multifaceted nature of public healths future. In partnering with public health, systems engineering can mature mindsets (systems thinking) and practices that can aid in meeting this future.
Illustrating this notion are efforts by Pinar Keskinocak, the co-founder and director of the Center for Health and Humanitarian Systems at Georgia Institute of Technology, and her colleagues. In a recent interview, Keskinocak said: Whenever there is a complex problem, it needs serious analysis or technology and thats where an engineer comes in. This is exactly the situation now, very complex, dynamic and uncertain. Its difficult to understand whats going on or make decisions just by sitting around a table and discussing. We need expertise in engineering.
And its not just technical or technological concerns. Human systems integration or human factors considerations are equally central in systems engineering approaches. For example, building trust with Black Americans is vital to the success of contact tracing. Public health systems engineering could advance efforts to develop more equitable practices that could improve Black participation. An example is works that further the development of requirements elicitation techniques such as storytelling that provide a more comprehensive understanding of users and their context of use. These more inclusive practices would consider historical context and support more community-led public health design engagements.
COVID-19 has often been called a stress test for public health. COVID-19 will not be our last or worst pandemic; our emerging understanding of the public health implications of climate change further spotlights this growing need. What is true for COVID is true for climate change, says a recent Scientific American opinion piece. Were not prepared. Part of the gap is a knowledge gap: We havent done the needed research, and we lack critical information.
As the future of public health is likely to become increasingly digital, the technical understanding and holistic approach offered by systems engineering will begin to fill this critical public health knowledge gap. Fortunately, efforts are emerging in meeting these needs. Emory Universitys Health DesignED, the Design Institute for Health at the Dell Medical School, Vanderbilts Medical Innovators Development Program and recent initiatives such as those at Johns Hopkins are examples. The time is ripe for evolving the field of public health systems engineering. It is something the U.S. public health system desperately needs.
The Conversation is an independent and nonprofit source of news, analysis and commentary from academic experts.
Licenced as Creative Commons - attribution, no derivatives.
- Lost treasures of Liverpool now confined to history - Liverpool Echo - February 22nd, 2021
- Bill Gates Says That Going to Mars Is Silly - Futurism - February 22nd, 2021
- Coronavirus Cases Around the World Are Finally Dropping - Futurism - February 22nd, 2021
- Cities Are So Heavy That They're Sinking Into the Earth - Futurism - February 22nd, 2021
- Texans Are Sleeping In Their Teslas to Survive Freezing Cold - Futurism - February 22nd, 2021
- Floyd Mayweather Throws Wild 44th Bday Bash for Himself, Gives Logan Paul Update - TMZ - February 22nd, 2021
- Europe Invites People With Disabilities to Become Astronauts - Futurism - February 22nd, 2021
- Bill Gates Says All Wealthy Nations Should Switch to Synthetic Beef - Futurism - February 22nd, 2021
- Reading Thelin's 'A History of American Higher Education' as an Amateur Futurist | Learning Innovation - Inside Higher Ed - February 4th, 2021
- Food futurist Jack Bobo tells how sustainability will shape the future of food - Baking Business - February 4th, 2021
- IBM Algorithm Can Tell Who's Going to Get Alzheimer's by Reading Their Writing - Futurism - February 4th, 2021
- This Apple Car showcases a futuristic automotive revolution that makes the Tesla Cybertruck look old-school! - Yanko Design - February 4th, 2021
- Theater to Stream: Shakespeare Villains and Hot-Tub Dreams - The New York Times - February 4th, 2021
- NASA Boss: We Have "Every Indication" That Artemis Is Safe Under Biden - Futurism - February 4th, 2021
- HALs futuristic, deadly CATS to be battle-ready by 2024-25 - The New Indian Express - February 4th, 2021
- Surgeons Give Man New Face and Hands - Futurism - February 4th, 2021
- chengdu's futuristic fully-automated unmanned metro stations open to the public - Designboom - February 4th, 2021
- Saudi Arabia's futuristic city project in talks over cloud computing deal - Yahoo Finance - January 31st, 2021
- A University Is Using a Dead Professor to Teach an Online Class - Futurism - January 31st, 2021
- BADG's Obsidian is a futuristic concept house powered by Black creativity - Business of Home - January 31st, 2021
- Expert: We Could Vaccinate Everyone on Earth and Not Eliminate the Coronavirus - Futurism - January 25th, 2021
- The US Army Is Testing an Auto-Aiming Part of Its "Iron Man" Suit - Futurism - January 25th, 2021
- China Is Sending a Mission to Study the Sun - Futurism - January 25th, 2021
- New Gene Therapy Reverses Aging in Mice - Futurism - January 25th, 2021
- Space Station Captures Amazing Footage of Lightning From Above - Futurism - January 25th, 2021
- Professional Gamer Retires After Career-Ending Injury to Thumb - Futurism - January 25th, 2021
- Fourth Annual Shape of the Region Conference - Prince William Living - January 25th, 2021
- The companies making the most essential smart home gadgets - Quartz - January 25th, 2021
- FUTURIST: Our choices can save lives over the next six months - December 19th, 2020
- Ford futurist: 2020 brought more stress than ever but ... - December 19th, 2020
- This 'futurist-in-chief' says gaming could be bigger than the physical economy - CNN - December 19th, 2020
- Darwinism, Storytelling, and the Futurist ET Myth - Discovery Institute - December 19th, 2020
- Report: Electric Cars Could Be Cheaper Than Gas Ones in Just 2 Years - Futurism - December 19th, 2020
- SpaceX's Next Starship Prototype Could be Headed to Launch Pad on Thursday - Futurism - December 19th, 2020
- NASA Says It Will Fly a Canadian to the Moon - Futurism - December 19th, 2020
- Surgeons Who Operate on Their Birthday Appear to Kill Way More Patients - Futurism - December 19th, 2020
- Creator of Twin Peaks and Velvet Taco gets new CEO, new identity, new focus - Restaurant Business Online - December 19th, 2020
- These are the 5 most valuable skills to learn right now, says futuristand where to find free online courses - CNBC - November 7th, 2020
- Scientists Say They've Found the Missing 40 Percent of the Universe's Matter - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- New Evidence: There Was Another Planet in the Solar System That Escaped - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- Scientists Found a Way to Make Infrared Light Visible to Humans - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- The Neo-Futurists: bringing theatre further into the future - North by Northwestern - November 7th, 2020
- Walmart Is Giving Up on Its Inventory Robots - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- US Government Seizes $1 Billion in Silk Road Bitcoin - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- Scientists in Japan Build Robot to Hold Hands With Lonely People - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- MIT Algorithm Detects COVID-19 in the Sound of Your Cough - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- If This COVID-Blocking Nasal Spray Works on Humans, It Could Change the Course of the Pandemic - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- Amazon Patent Makes the Most Horrible Gamers Play With Each Other - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- Starlink Beta Has Outperformed Most Internet in the US - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- These are the Skills and Mindsets of the Leader of the Future - Entrepreneur - November 7th, 2020
- Our Soil is Poised To Release Billions of Tons of Carbon - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- Martian Meteorites Show Red Planet Had Water Billions of Years Ago - Futurism - November 7th, 2020
- The Futurist art movement tried its hand at cooking, with unappetizing results - The A.V. Club - September 26th, 2020
- What could our lives be like in 2025? Futurists think Americans may eat, fly and go to school differently post-COVID - USA TODAY - September 26th, 2020
- Scientists Claim to Find First-Ever Planet in Another Galaxy - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- Global Motorcycle Rental Market provides a futurist Forecast of the market growth in the post-COVID-19 scenario - Verdant News - September 26th, 2020
- Global Outsourced Semiconductor Assembly and Test (OSAT) Market provides a futurist Forecast of the market growth in the post-COVID-19 scenario -... - September 26th, 2020
- Earth Appears to Be Capturing a Tiny New Moon - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- Global Floating Wind Turbines Market provides a futurist Forecast of the market growth in the post-COVID-19 scenario - The Daily Chronicle - September 26th, 2020
- Beijing motor show - Infiniti QX60 preview | Automotive Industry Analysis - just-auto.com - September 26th, 2020
- Life May Have Hopped From Earth to Venus on Asteroid, Scientists Say - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- Tesla's "Plaid" Model S is Real and It's Fast as Hell - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- Russia Wants to Be the First to Shoot a Movie In Space - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- The International Space Station Had to Dodge a Piece of Space Junk Last Night - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- The new concept from Great Wall was similar to the Volga - The Times Hub - September 26th, 2020
- NASA Is Heading to the Far Side of the Moon to Study the Ancient Universe - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- Astronomers Spot Bits of Entirely Different Asteroid on Surface of Bennu - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- Scientists Claim to Have Proved That Crows Have Conscious Experiences - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- NASA and the US Space Force Are Officially Teaming Up - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- Astronomers Discover "Pi Earth" Planet That Orbits Every 3.14 Days - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- SETI Team Increases Number of Stars That Might Host Life by 200x - Futurism - September 4th, 2020
- Fauci: We Could Cut Trials Short and Give Out COVID Vaccine "Right Now" - Futurism - September 4th, 2020
- Chadwick Bosemans Wakanda: Afro-Futurism Is in the Present - Common Dreams - September 4th, 2020
- Scientists Are Running Out of Primates to Test Vaccines On - Futurism - September 4th, 2020
- What Goes Right and Wrong When We Predict a High-Tech Future - Walter Bradley Center for Natural and Artificial Intelligence - September 4th, 2020
- Futurist says coronavirus could last for years 'like the Great Depression' - Mirror Online - July 5th, 2020
- Climate Change Threatens 60 Percent of the World's Fish Species - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- This Scientist Says He's Built a Jet Engine That Turns Electricity Directly Into Thrust - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- One Particular Spot on Earth Is Getting Colder Instead of Hotter - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- The Large Hadron Collider Just Discovered a Brand-New Particle - Futurism - July 5th, 2020