Tesla boss Elon Musk flagged it to his 35 million Twitter followers. Media mogul Steve Forbes cheered it as an absolute must read. And Fox News analyst Brit Hume is also apparently a fan.
Its the story of what may eventually be known as one of the biggest medical and economic blunders of all time, according to tech entrepreneur, military vet and bioengineer Yinon Weiss.
What story is that exactly?
The collective failure of every Western nation, except one, to question groupthink will surely be studied by economists, doctors, and psychologists for decades to come.
Thats his take, posted on RealClearPolitics.com last week, with regard to how governments around the world have handled the coronavirus pandemic.
In the face of a novel virus threat, China clamped down on its citizens, he wrote in his intro. Academics used faulty information to build faulty models. Leaders relied on these faulty models. Dissenting views were suppressed. The media flamed fears and the world panicked.
Weisss critique has resonated in recent days with the likes of Musk, who have consistently raged against lockdowns of business and personal activity to combat the spread of the coronavirus pandemic as perhaps causing more damage than the coronavirus itself.
Weiss took shots at the government for taking extreme action when the fatality rate for those under 65 years old is no more dangerous than driving 13 to 101 miles per day. He used this chart to downplay the risks facing those not in the most vulnerable categories:
Even by conservative estimates, the odds of COVID-19 death are roughly in line with existing baseline odds of dying in any given year, Weiss wrote. Yet we put billions of young healthy people under house arrest, stopped cancer screenings, and sunk ourselves into the worst level of unemployment since the Great Depression.
He then hailed Sweden as a laudable blueprint, because it never closed down borders, primary schools, restaurants, or businesses, and never mandated masks, yet 99.998% of all their people under 60 have survived and their hospitals were never overburdened.
So why did the U.S. take the more heavy-handed approach?
Weiss placed some of the blame on the Imperial College epidemiologist Neil Ferguson for numbers, later slammed as unreliable, that led to the domino effect of the lockdowns.
But it goes beyond that.
If you are a hammer everything looks like a nail, he wrote. I blame government leaders for failing to surround themselves with diverse viewpoints and to think critically for themselves.
Weiss contends that leaders now know the lockdowns were a mistake but wont admit it. Instead, they will claim the lockdowns are the reason for the lower death rates, even as the results from Sweden, as you can see from this chart, suggests otherwise:
They were predicting what would happen in the next two weeks based on months of data, Weiss explained. Yet the daily death peak was 75% lower than the baseline prediction and 96% lower than the worst-case prediction. Swedens short-term results are worse than Norway, Finland, and Denmark, but better than the U.K., France, Spain, Italy, and Belgium.
Meanwhile, according to Johns Hopkins University, the virus has infected 5.5 million people worldwide, killing close to 350,000. The U.S. has seen nearly 100,000 deaths.
- In college, Elon Musk thought these 5 things would change the world - CNBC - July 4th, 2020
- Is Elon Musk a Republican? - Fox Business - July 4th, 2020
- How Elon Musk's Starlink satellites may have stifled the best chance to find Planet 9 - CNN - July 4th, 2020
- Elon Musk hits out over Ghislaine Maxwell picture - 'someone is pushing this' - Daily Star - July 4th, 2020
- A reflection in a photo of Elon Musk and Kanye West appears to show Grimes taking the picture - Insider - INSIDER - July 4th, 2020
- Leaked Elon Musk Email, Plus Tesla Firmware 2020.24.6 and Texas Gigafactory Hearing - TheStreet - June 24th, 2020
- How to land a job at Elon Musk's SpaceX, according to the rocket company's software team - CNBC - June 24th, 2020
- Artist turns Elon Musks viral tweets into illustrations that are now part of a colouring book - The Indian Express - June 24th, 2020
- Elon Musk Is Attempting to Revolutionize HVAC Systems - ACHR NEWS - June 24th, 2020
- Elon Musk Bitcoin vanity addresses used to scam users out of $2 million - ZDNet - June 24th, 2020
- Titletown to Teslatown? Brown County reaches out to Tesla's Elon Musk - WBAY - June 24th, 2020
- Why Intelligent Minds Like Elon Musk and Steve Jobs Embrace the Rule of Awkward Silence - Inc. - June 24th, 2020
- Column: Tesla's reluctant commitment to cobalt a warning to others - Andy Home - Reuters - June 24th, 2020
- Elon Musk's tunnel project hit a milestone. But the future is unclear. - CNN - June 13th, 2020
- Here's how to find out when Elon Musk's SpaceX may provide you with satellite internet - CNBC - June 13th, 2020
- A midnight tweet from Elon Musk was presented as groundbreaking, but it was merely stating the obvious about cannabis - The GrowthOp - June 13th, 2020
- Croatia's Elon Musk Launched an Electric Mountain Bike, and It's Insane - Gear Patrol - June 13th, 2020
- Elon Musk is tech Covidiot No. 1 during coronavirus pandemic - June 1st, 2020
- Elon Musk: Enduring Truths And New Lessons From An American Pioneer - Forbes - June 1st, 2020
- How Elon Musk took SpaceX from an idea to the cusp of making history - USA TODAY - June 1st, 2020
- Who is Elon Musk, and what made him big? - DW (English) - June 1st, 2020
- SpaceX founder Elon Musk in 2012: "I would have to be insane if I thought the odds were in my favor." - 60 Minutes - CBS News - June 1st, 2020
- Elon Musk and Grimes have changed their baby's name. A bit - CNN - June 1st, 2020
- Elon Musk's big day gets scuttled by clouds, and four other business stories you need to read today - CNN - June 1st, 2020
- Tired of the Mess Earth is in? Billionaires Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos Are Readying Outer Space for You to Liv... - News18 - June 1st, 2020
- Of course billionaires like Elon Musk love outer space. The Earth is too small for their egos - The Guardian - June 1st, 2020
- Elon Musk is polluting the skies with SpaceXs thousands of satellites - MarketWatch - June 1st, 2020
- Elon Musk's SpaceX is hiring: Take a look at some of the positions - Fox Business - June 1st, 2020
- SpaceX Starlink: Do the costs of Elon Musks ambitious plan outweigh its benefits? - Scroll.in - June 1st, 2020
- Elon Musk got the title of real-life Iron Man after his assistance in Marvel films - Geo News - June 1st, 2020
- Elon Musks SpaceX Commissioned a Street Artist to Create Indestructible Gold Paintings as Dcor for Its First Trip to the International Space Station -... - June 1st, 2020
- Elon Musk and Grimes had to change their baby's name -- a bit - KPTV.com - June 1st, 2020
- Elon Musk appears to be selling more California properties after pledging to 'own no house' - CNBC - May 14th, 2020
- Elon Musk has a complex relationship with the A.I. community - CNBC - May 14th, 2020
- What would Elon Musk name you? This website may have the answer - Hindustan Times - May 14th, 2020
- Nobody tells Elon Musk what to do. Maybe that's the problem - San Francisco Chronicle - May 14th, 2020
- Go read this Wall Street Journal story about Elon Musks personal finances - The Verge - May 14th, 2020
- Elon Musk rails against stay-at-home orders while tweeting debunked and controversial coronavirus claims - CNN - May 14th, 2020
- Grimes Shares the First Video of Elon Musk Holding Baby X - HarpersBAZAAR.com - May 14th, 2020
- Elon Musk and Grimes' Baby Tops This Week's Internet News Roundup - WIRED - May 14th, 2020
- Elon Musk and Grimes reveal how to pronounce baby's name -- but they disagree - CNN - May 14th, 2020
- Tesla patents a new battery cell that Elon Musk hypes as way more important than it sounds - Electrek - May 14th, 2020
- Is Grimes' relationship with Elon Musk distracting us from her musical brilliance? - Happy Mag - May 14th, 2020
- Elon Musk has a lot to say about Covid-19. Some of it isn't true - CNN - May 14th, 2020
- Elon Musk | Biography & Facts | Britannica - May 1st, 2020
- Elon Musk | SpaceX - May 1st, 2020
- Elon Musks 42,000 StarLink Satellites Could Just Save The ... - May 1st, 2020
- How Elon Musk Became Elon Musk: Elon Musk's Early Years - May 1st, 2020
- Coronavirus has Elon Musk acting like just another used car salesman - The Guardian - May 1st, 2020
- A lot of exciting news: Elon Musk reveals just how far ahead of the game Tesla is now - The Driven - May 1st, 2020
- Trevor Noah Unlocks The Mysteries Of Apple Phones, Elon Musk, And Trumps Twitter - Deadline - May 1st, 2020
- Elon Musk Demands COVID-19 Restrictions Be Lifted: Give People Their Freedom Back! - Consequence of Sound - May 1st, 2020
- Elon Musk: The TSLA stock price is too high in my opinion - ForexLive - May 1st, 2020