Slide: 1 / of 1. Caption: 520 Design
This story is part of our special coverage, The News in Crisis.
When Edward Snowden leaked the biggest collection of classified National Security Agency documents in history, he wasnt just revealing the inner workings of a global surveillance machine. He was also scrambling to evade it. To communicate with the journalists who would publish his secrets, he had to route all his messages over the anonymity software Tor, teach reporters to use the encryption tool PGP by creating a YouTube tutorial that disguised his voice, and eventually ditch his comfortable life (and smartphone) in Hawaii to set up a cloak-and-dagger data handoff halfway around the world.
Now, nearly four years later, Snowden has focused the next phase of his career on solving that very specific instance of the panopticon problem: how to protect reporters and the people who feed them information in an era of eroding privacywithout requiring them to have an NSA analysts expertise in encryption or to exile themselves to Moscow. Watch the journalists and youll find their sources, Snowden says. So how do we preserve that confidentiality in this new world, when its more important than ever?
Since early last year, Snowden has quietly served as president of a small San Franciscobased nonprofit called the Freedom of the Press Foundation. Its mission: to equip the media to do its job at a time when state-sponsored hackers and government surveillance threaten investigative reporting in ways Woodward and Bernstein never imagined. Newsrooms dont have the budget, the sophistication, or the skills to defend themselves in the current environment, says Snowden, who spoke to WIRED via encrypted video-chat from his home in Moscow. Were trying to provide a few niche tools to make the game a little more fair.
The groups 10 staffers and a handful of contract coders, with Snowdens remote guidance, are working to develop an armory of security upgrades for reporters. Snowden and renowned hacker Bunnie Huang have partnered to develop a hardware modification for the iPhone, designed to detect if malware on the device is secretly transmitting a reporters data, including location. Theyve recruited Fred Jacobs, one of the coders for the popular encryption app Signal, to help build a piece of software called Sunder; the tool would allow journalists to encrypt a trove of secrets and then retrieve them only if several newsroom colleagues combine their passwords to access the data. And the foundations coders are building a plug-and-play version of Jitsi, the encrypted video-chat software Snowden himself uses for daily communication. They want newsrooms to be able to install it on their own servers with a few clicks. The idea is to make this all paint-by-numbers instead of teaching yourself to be Picasso, Snowden says.
A brief guide to becoming an anonymous source.
The anonymity network Tor obscures your identity by routing your online traffic through computers worldwide. Access it via the web-based Tor Browser to visit any site related to your planned contact with the press. Find a directory of the 35 or so news organizations that maintain SecureDrop portalsTor-enabled inboxes for anonymous tips. Then choose an outlet and leak away.
Buy a burnera cheap, prepaid Android phonewith cash from a nonchain store in an area youve never been to before. Dont carry your regular phone and the burner at the same time, and never turn on the burner at home or work. Create a Gmail and Google Play account from the burner, then install the encrypted calling and texting app Signal. When youre done, destroy the burner and ditch its corpse far from home.
Pick a distant mailbox, dont carry your phone on the trip, andduhdont include a real return address.
But the foundations biggest coup has been SecureDrop, a Tor-based system for WikiLeaks-style uploads of leaked materials and news tips. The system has now been adopted by dozens of outlets, including The Guardian, The New York Times, and The Washington Post. It works. I know, hinted a tweet from Washington Post reporter David Fahrenthold the day after he published a leaked video of Donald Trump bragging about sexual assault.
In early 2014, the Freedom of the Press Foundations founderswho include the first recipients of Snowdens leaks, journalists Glenn Greenwald and Laura Poitrasasked their 30-year-old source to join the groups board as a largely symbolic gesture. But Snowden surprised the board members by showing up to his first meeting with a list of detailed changes to its 40-plus pages of bylaws. The next year he was unanimously elected its president. No one has more practical expertise when it comes to whistleblower and journalist communications, says Trevor Timm, the groups executive director. It was the perfect fit. Snowden has refused a salary, instead giving the group more than $60,000 of his fees from speaking engagements over the past year.
Snowdens own leaks have shown the dire need for the foundations work: In early 2015 he revealed that British spies had collected emails from practically every major newspaper and wire service. Other signs of encroaching state surveillance have also put journalists on guard. Late last year it emerged that Montreal police had tracked the phone calls and texts of a reporter in order to identify sources critical of the department. And in early January, before he had even taken office, Donald Trump called on Congress to investigate a leak to NBC newsone that gave the network a sneak peek at an intelligence report on Russias role in influencing the US election. In the months since Trumps victory, the Freedom of the Press Foundations phones have been ringing off the hook with requests from newsrooms for training sessions, says Timm.
Snowden is quick to note it was the administration of President Obama, not Trump, that indicted him and at least seven others under the Espionage Act for leaking information to journalists. Thats more such indictments than all other presidents in history combined have issued. But Snowden and Timm worry that Trump, with his deep-seated disdain for the media and the full powers of the US Justice Department at his fingertips, will be only too happy to carry forward and expand that precedent.
All of that makes the medias technical protections from spying more important than ever. We cant fix the surveillance problem overnight, Snowden says. But maybe we can build a shield that will protect anyone whos standing behind it. If the group succeeds, perhaps the next Snowden will be able to take refuge not in Moscow but in the encrypted corners of the internet.
Andy Greenberg (@a_greenberg) wrote about Google subsidiary Jigsaw in issue 24.10.
This article appears in the March issue. Subscribe now.
Read the original post:
Edward Snowden's New Job: Protecting Reporters From Spies - WIRED
- Fox Sports 1 Utilized Video Call Center to Extend Reach of Shows Like The Herd with Colin Cowherd - Sports Video Group - December 22nd, 2019
- Fox Sports 1 Dials Up VCC for The Herd With Colin Cowherd - TV Technology - December 22nd, 2019
- Gladstone gold does club proud - Gladstone Observer - July 19th, 2017
- Jitsi | Futurist Transhuman News Blog - euvolution.com - July 10th, 2017
- FAQ | Jitsi | Prometheism.net euvolution.com | Futurist ... - July 5th, 2017
- FAQ | Jitsi | Futurist Transhuman News Blog - June 29th, 2017
- Tsirang vegetable vendors commit to selling local chillies - Kuensel, Buhutan's National Newspaper - June 27th, 2017
- FAQ | Jitsi | Prometheism.net - euvolution.com - June 26th, 2017
- FAQ | Jitsi - June 25th, 2017
- Jitsi - PediaView.com - June 14th, 2017
- How to Configure and Set-Up Jitsi - Liberty Under Attack - June 6th, 2017
- Jitsi Meet (advanced) Projects - May 23rd, 2017
- Diaspora* and Other Free Software Are Available in the Occitan Language, Thanks to Volunteer Translators - Global Voices Online - May 23rd, 2017
- Online privacy guide for journalists - Radioinfo (subscription) - May 18th, 2017
- Your Essential List of 7 Productivity Hacks and Time Management Tips - Business 2 Community - May 11th, 2017
- Encrypted Chat Took Over. Let's Encrypt Calls, Too - Huffington Post - April 25th, 2017
- 5 Apps You Didn't Know You Needed - Syracuse University News - April 3rd, 2017
- Jitsi Meet - Android Apps on Google Play - March 9th, 2017
- Snowden helping develop tools to protect journalists and whistleblowers - 'to make the game a little more fair' - Press Gazette - February 15th, 2017
- Jitsi for Windows - Secure Instant Messaging and VoIP - February 11th, 2017
- Jitsi for Mac - Download - jitsi.en.softonic.com - February 6th, 2017
- Jitsi softphone for Windows OnSIP Support - November 23rd, 2016
- Trying to install jitsi meet with apache2 - Stack Overflow - October 29th, 2016
- Jitsi - Wikipedia - October 27th, 2016
- Jitsi - Mensajera instantnea segura de texto, audio y ... - August 10th, 2016
- Jitsi - Quora - May 31st, 2016
- Chocolatey Gallery | Jitsi 2.8.5426 - May 28th, 2016
- Jitsi - - May 24th, 2016
- Jitsi - FreeBSD Wiki - May 22nd, 2016
- Jitsi - OSTN - Guardian Project Open Dev - May 21st, 2016
- Jitsi WOW.com | Prometheism.net - May 1st, 2016
- Review: Jitsi the ultimate SIP voice and video client ... - April 22nd, 2016
- Jitsi - WOW.com - April 11th, 2016
- OpenFire Jitsi as Skype(desktop sharing) and Temviewer ... - March 20th, 2016
- Jitsi Download - Softpedia - March 16th, 2016
- Why did Atlassian Acquire Jitsi? (Hint: WebRTC Multiparty ... - March 6th, 2016
- Jitsi - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre - December 22nd, 2015
- [jitsi-users] SIP - Lync Connect deosnt work - December 19th, 2015
- Jitsi (Build 3132) - September 24th, 2015
- A Skype alternative worth its salt: Jitsi | usability ... - September 6th, 2015
- Jitsi Configuration and Review - Callcentric - August 30th, 2015
- Jitsi SIP Softphone Review - About.com Tech - August 30th, 2015
- Jitsi, ostel.co and ISP censorship | The Guardian Project - August 30th, 2015
- Jitsi | Tiki Suite - August 30th, 2015
- Jitsi Tutorial 1 - Installation - Top Windows Tutorials - August 8th, 2015
- jitsi/jitsi-meet GitHub - July 24th, 2015
- Jitsi: A Multi-Protocol, Cross Platform Compatible Chat ... - July 24th, 2015
- JITSI - Video - April 8th, 2015
- Jitsi - secure IM & VoIP | security in-a-box - March 21st, 2015
- Nexi Unified Communication Jitsi Presentazione full - Video - February 19th, 2015
- Jitsi for Mac | MacUpdate - Apple Mac OS X Software & Apps ... - February 13th, 2015
- Jitsi Wikipdia - February 7th, 2015
- Skype Encrypted Alt. SIP Jitsi Combo - February 7th, 2015
- jitsi videollamada - Video - December 26th, 2014
- IETF91 chairs meeting Honolulu Jitsi Meet questions - Video - November 18th, 2014
- IETF91 chairs meeting Honolulu Jitsi Meet presentation - Video - November 17th, 2014
- Jitsi Flasms Dogfooding: Using your own imperfect solutions helps improve them, - Video - November 10th, 2014
- When I say join me in a jitsi meet... - Video - November 7th, 2014
- Top messaging apps flat-out flunk EFF's security review - November 5th, 2014
- Bitcoin and dark wallet could be used by terrorists. So what? - September 24th, 2014
- jitsi.org | Jitsi - September 17th, 2014
- Just Linux touch screen and Jitsi - Video - September 16th, 2014
- FOSDEM 2014 - Jitsi Videobridge And Webrtc - Video - September 16th, 2014
- The Luminosity of Free Software Episode 20 - Video - September 13th, 2014
- Using XMPP chat with Jitsi - Video - September 12th, 2014
- Jitsi - SIP Softphone - Video - September 12th, 2014
- Jitsi (Mac) - Download - Softonic - September 1st, 2014
- How to download and install Jitsi - Video - May 17th, 2014
- Eliyah Moore, Barum Jiu Jitsi Vs Cahel Gonzalez, 5 Star Martial Arts - Video - May 16th, 2014
- Jitsi VoIP softphone Hands On Tutorial - Video - May 11th, 2014
- NetSecDemo Secure FTP over Jitsi - Video - May 9th, 2014
- FLOSS Weekly 293: Jitsi Meet - Video - May 9th, 2014
- Jitsi Overview: FLOSS Weekly 293 - Video - May 9th, 2014
- Jitsi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - April 26th, 2014
- Jitsi - Official Site - April 26th, 2014
- Softonic - Jitsi - Download - April 26th, 2014
- The Architecture of Open Source Applications: Jitsi - April 26th, 2014
- Jitsi - Business VoIP Phone Service | OnSIP - April 26th, 2014