The painful skin condition is becoming a growing problem.
According British Skin Foundation research in 2011, 28 per cent of skin specialists felt they had seen a notable increase in adult eczema cases.
This comes after a report in 2009 that those suffering had risen by 40 per cent in just four years - a trend likely to have continued.
While its most common in children, its possible for it to develop for the first time in adulthood.
Eczema happens because of a problem with the skin barrier which means its protective qualities are lost and irritants that cause a reaction get in.
Dr Justine Hextall, a consultant dermatologist and spokeswoman for La Roche-Posay
This could be down to certain unlikely products we use on a daily basis.
Eczema happens because of a problem with the skin barrier which means its protective qualities are lost, explained Dr Justine Hextall, a consultant dermatologist and spokeswoman for La Roche-Posay who have a range, Lipikar, specifically for treating the condition.
This allows irritants to enter more easily, triggering symptoms.
Preservatives are one of the key things that particularly cause a reaction.
Getty Images/Cultura RF
1 of 9
Resist the itch - Eczema is almost always itchy no matter where it occurs on the body and although it may be tempting to scratch affected areas of the skin, this should be avoided as much as possible
MI - short for methylisothiazolinone - is a preservative used a in a wide range of shampoos, shower gels, moisturisers and facial wipes.
Men who wash their face with shampoo or soap - which 50 per cent do - are putting themselves at risk of eczema.
While MI is safe, European regulations began to permit stronger concentrations than previously allowed in 2005.
Its been suggested this could be the reason for an increase in eczema - as well as contact dermatitis - in recent years.
An increase in eczema has also in the past been blamed on bath gels, particularly in children.
It used to affect just three per cent in the 1950s but now one in five suffer.
Research by Sheffield University revealed that it was our desire for optimum cleanliness that correlated with the rise.
We used to only bathe once or twice a week, while now its daily - consequently our spending on bubble bath and shower gel has sky-rocketed.
Of common eczema triggers, the NHS list soaps and detergents, including shampoo, washing up liquid and bubble bath.
They also suggest cold and dry weather, food allergies, certain materials, hormonal changes and skin infections may also be causes.
See the original post:
Eczema warning: Why you should never do this in the shower - Express.co.uk
- Evidence Growing That Eczema Itch More Than Skin Deep - Medscape - November 4th, 2019
- Itchy Skin Conditions And Mental Health Are Linked, And We Need to Talk About It - ScienceAlert - November 4th, 2019
- Eczema drug raises hopes of effective and long-lasting treatment - inews - October 27th, 2019
- Which emollients are effective and acceptable for eczema in children? - The BMJ - October 27th, 2019
- Eczema On The Face: How To Care For Your Skin Naturally - mindbodygreen.com - October 27th, 2019
- New drug developed in S'pore could provide full relief to eczema symptoms like redness & itching of skin - Mothership.sg - October 27th, 2019
- Norovirus to shigella and eczema the ultimate guide to protect your kids from winter bugs - The Sun - October 27th, 2019
- Baby Wipe Ingredient Linked To Eczema - Nonwovens Industry Magazine - News, Markets - Nonwovens Industry Magazine - October 27th, 2019
- Aldi brings back 'miracle' cream which parents swear cures children's eczema - and it costs 3.99 - Birmingham Live - October 27th, 2019
- Here's How 20 Years of Office Work Will Disfigure the Human Body - Futurism - October 27th, 2019
- 'I Tried Wet Wrap Therapy for Eczema, and It Helped Reset My Skin' - Everyday Health - October 20th, 2019
- Eczema Awareness Month 2019 - Everyday Health - October 20th, 2019
- Fragrances found in baby wipes and 'slime' among most common causes of skin allergies - Sydney Morning Herald - October 20th, 2019
- He Was Unbearably Itchy, but the Problem Wasnt in His Skin - The New York Times - October 20th, 2019
- Meet the Northern Ireland people battling eczema who are finally comfortable in their own skin - Belfast Telegraph - October 20th, 2019
- ANN & ROBERT H. LURIE CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL OF CHICAGO: Painless Tape Strips Used to Detect Molecular Changes in Skin of Children with Eczema -... - October 20th, 2019
- Our top scientists and the discovery that could revolutionise cancer, eczema treatment - The Age - October 20th, 2019
- People with atopic eczema have more S. aureus bacteria in their skin - Mirage News - October 20th, 2019
- Chronic Itch: New Therapy, Complexities - MedPage Today - October 20th, 2019
- What Are the Benefits of Turmeric? - The New York Times - October 20th, 2019
- Should You Try an Elimination Diet to Determine the Root Cause of Eczema? - Everyday Health - October 12th, 2019
- Long-Term Dupilumab Safe, Effective in Adolescents with Atopic Dermatitis - Pharmacy Times - October 12th, 2019
- Pfizer Presents Positive Phase 3 Data at the 28th Congress of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology for Abrocitinib in Moderate to... - October 12th, 2019
- Eating Fish in Early Childhood Even Just Once a Week Reduces Risk of Disease - SciTechDaily - October 12th, 2019
- More Than Food: 4 Breast Milk Uses Other Than For Feeding Babies - International Business Times - October 12th, 2019
- Graphic pictures reveal the horror of eczema sufferer 'skinned alive ... - The Sun - August 25th, 2017
- When eczema gets you banned from driving a rideshare - Malay Mail Online - August 22nd, 2017
- Doctor: Eczema medications for children could have long-term side effects - WTSP 10 News - August 20th, 2017
- Eczema cure? Doing THIS at the gym could treat the debilitating skin condition - Express.co.uk - August 18th, 2017
- 5 All-Natural Remedies To Treat Eczema Without The Doctor - The Alternative Daily (blog) - August 14th, 2017
- Atopic dermatitis (eczema) - Treatment - Mayo Clinic - August 14th, 2017
- Jailed teacher says 4-month-old baby got eczema due to poor prison conditions - Turkey Purge - August 11th, 2017
- Does Early Probiotic Supplementation Reduce Eczema, Asthma Development? - Monthly Prescribing Reference (registration) - August 10th, 2017
- Dermira Commits $135M for Global Rights to Roche Eczema Drug - Xconomy - August 9th, 2017
- Taking too many antibiotics to treat eczema may worsen your condition - Miami Herald - August 5th, 2017
- I Have a Rare Form of Eczema That Makes It Painful to Walk - Health.com - August 5th, 2017
- How to get rid of eczema, beat the itch and scratch cycle - The Standard - August 4th, 2017
- Goats milk is helping skin - Wellington Times - August 1st, 2017
- Eczema Can Take a Toll on Adults - WebMD - July 28th, 2017
- Many Eczema Patients Fear Using Steroid Creams - Newsmax - July 28th, 2017
- New Genetic Mutations Linked to Eczema - Pentagram - July 28th, 2017
- Fear keeps many eczema patients from using steroid creams - Reuters - July 26th, 2017
- Top 5 Eczema Triggers You Should Know - Doctor NDTV - July 26th, 2017
- How Having Eczema on My Face Changed My LifeFor the Better - Health.com - July 22nd, 2017
- Clothes intertwined with nanotech will treat eczema - Phys.org - Phys.Org - July 21st, 2017
- Search for Eczema Relief Leads to Business Opportunities - New York Times - July 20th, 2017
- Skin doctor's top tips to help eczema sufferer's survive summer and five must-have remedies for under a tenner - The Sun - July 20th, 2017
- Controlling Eczema Flare-Ups in the Summer - Allergic Living - July 18th, 2017
- Keep these four tips in mind to manage eczema better in summer - Hindustan Times - July 15th, 2017
- Common eczema triggers and what you can do about them - AOL UK - July 13th, 2017
- How My Eczema Led to a Viral Infection That Nearly Killed Me - Health.com - July 12th, 2017
- What to Do If You Have Eczema on Your Hands - Information Nigeria - Information Nigeria - July 12th, 2017
- The Microbial Mystery Behind Eczema - Huffington Post Canada - July 10th, 2017
- My Eczema Was Under ControlUntil I Got Pregnant - Health.com - July 10th, 2017
- Clomid baby aspirin - How long does it take for clomid to start working - Van Wert independent - July 10th, 2017
- Scientists Home in on Eczema-Causing Germs - NBC News - NBCNews.com - July 7th, 2017
- Possible link found between eczema flare-ups and strain of bacteria - Medical Xpress - July 7th, 2017
- Dr. Cannaday's eczema cure, part 2 - Sedalia Democrat - July 5th, 2017
- How To Treat Eczema on Your Face - Men's Health - July 5th, 2017
- Penis after taking levitra professional - Levitra professional international mail order - Longboat Key News - July 5th, 2017
- Young mum praises 4 miracle moisturiser for 'curing' her little girl's ... - Mirror.co.uk - July 2nd, 2017
- Mum calls for 4 'miracle' cream that cured her baby's eczema to be ... - The Independent - June 29th, 2017
- A new innovative treatment for eczema could be on its way, researchers say - Netdoctor - June 29th, 2017
- Patient education: Atopic dermatitis (eczema) (Beyond the Basics) - June 28th, 2017
- Dr. Cannnady's eczema diagnosis and treatment - Sedalia Democrat - June 28th, 2017
- Link between eczema and heart disease disputed | Health24 - Health24 - June 28th, 2017
- 5 Things Someone With Eczema Wants You to Know - Eczema ... - Health.com - June 27th, 2017
- Do newborns need moisturizer? - Miami Herald - June 26th, 2017
- 5 Things People With Eczema Don't Want to Hear From You - Health.com - June 26th, 2017
- Yes, There's a Miracle Trick to Relieve Eczemaand It's Unbelievably Simple - Reader's Digest - June 26th, 2017
- The Solution for Skin Ailments Could Be Right Under Your Nose - New York Times - June 26th, 2017
- Sunlight could be key to eczema relief - InDaily - June 26th, 2017
- 8 Celebrities on How They Cope With a Serious Health Condition - Health.com - June 26th, 2017
- My Eczema Was So Debilitating, I Couldn't Sleep in a Bed for a Year - Health.com - June 23rd, 2017
- eczema in children - ACAAI - ACAAI Public Website - June 22nd, 2017
- Researchers Discover Genetic Cause for Eczema | HealthCentral - HealthCentral.com - June 22nd, 2017
- 6 Common Triggers for Eczema and What To Do About Them - Health.com - June 22nd, 2017
- Eczema: Single-gene mutations identified that lead to skin condition - Outbreak News Today - June 21st, 2017
- Sun effects on skin reveal eczema therapy clues - Medical Xpress - June 19th, 2017
- Police: 10-year-old boy wasn't shot, has eczema - ABC2 News - June 19th, 2017