Eczema comes in many forms but the most common type is atopic eczema, a condition that is characterised by dry, itchy, cracked skin. Atopic eczema is more common in children, often developing before their first birthday. But it may also develop for the first time in adults. It's usually a long-term (chronic) condition, although it can improve significantly, or even clear completely, in some children as they get older.
As the NHS explains, people with atopic eczema usually have periods when symptoms are less noticeable, as well as periods when symptoms become more severe (flare-ups).
Eczema flare-ups can have a significant impact on your overall quality of life as they can deter you from engaging in popular activities, such as exercise.
For many people, exercise can trigger intensive bouts of scratching on the skin as the surface temperature soars but there are a number of tips people can take to enjoy exercise without the risk of flare-ups.
READ MORE:How to avoid arthritis in later life: This activity could prevent muscle and bone problems
Synthetic moisture clothing options draw sweat into the garments, but they may feel rough and irritate eczema, explains the NEA.
To overcome the problem, you should opt for light, breathable fabrics such as 100 percent cotton that dont rub or scratch the skin during exercise, advises the health body.
It is also important to listen and respond to your body during exercise so you can rest, rehydrate and cool down if youre sensing the start of a flare with your eczema, explains the health site.
Being realistic around the state of your eczema when you want to exercise means choosing a level of intensity to match, adds the NEA.
As the health body notes, cold compression wraps (using either re-freezable ice or gel) are most often used to treat soft-tissue swelling or injuries but make excellent aids for cooling the skin and calming the itch in eczema.
In addition, you should moisturise before and after exercise to minimise the risk of a flare-up.
In much the same way that taking on water counteracts water lost while exercising, applying emollients will protect your skin in advance of and following exercise, explains the NEA.
The healthy body advises against using a heavier ointment as it may compound the feeling of overheating and trap in sweat.
Instead you should opt for a cream or lighter application of ointment an hour before exercise allows time for it to have absorbed fully, it says.
According to the NHS, it is helpful to keep separate supplies of emollients at work or school, or a tub in the bathroom and one in the living area so you are always prepared for a flare-up.
To apply the emollient:
During a flare-up, apply generous amounts of emollient more frequently, but remember to treat inflamed skin with a topical corticosteroid as emollients used on their own are not enough to control it, advises the health site.
- What To Know About CBD And Eczema - The Fresh Toast - June 17th, 2020
- Eczema rash: The warning sign your skin condition has developed an infection - Express - June 17th, 2020
- Eczema cream: Dermatologists reveal the top three emollients to relieve itchy, sore skin - Express.co.uk - June 17th, 2020
- Atopic Eczema Treatment Market Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 17th, 2020
- All about inflammation - Harvard Health - Harvard Health - June 17th, 2020
- Get rid of skin diseases with Swami Ramdev's yoga asanas, pranayamas and home remedies - India TV News - June 17th, 2020
- Elizabeth Gilbert had 18 months with the love of her life. Here's what she knows about grief. - Mamamia - June 17th, 2020
- Skincare science and the microbiome - Nutritional Outlook - June 17th, 2020
- COVID 19 Prevention: The Good, The Bad and The Other. - Adventist News Network - June 17th, 2020
- Is Multi-Moisturizing the New Multi-Masking? All Signs Point to Yes - Well+Good - June 17th, 2020
- 3 ways to get rid of eczema and prevent flare ups - Insider - INSIDER - June 6th, 2020
- Binghamton biomedical researchers get closer to why eczema happens - Binghamton University - June 6th, 2020
- Eczema treatment - the 1 natural oil to protect against dry and itchy skin at home - Express - June 6th, 2020
- Acupuncture For Fertility And TCM Improve Chances Of Conception And Pregnancy And Mitigates Side Effects Of IVF Treatment - Press Release - Digital... - June 6th, 2020
- 6 types of eczema: Symptoms and causes - May 25th, 2020
- Eczema rash: The one surprising irritant you may be wearing - Express - May 25th, 2020
- Eczema treatment: The best oil to prevent dry skin - and you've probably got it at home - Express.co.uk - May 25th, 2020
- Happy Hands, Part 2: Best Hand Creams In The House And On The Road - Forbes - May 25th, 2020
- Preventing Coronavirus Exposure When You Have Psoriasis and Eczema - Everyday Health - April 9th, 2020
- Natural Moisturizers That Will Soothe Dry Skin From All Your Hand Washing - HuffPost Canada - April 9th, 2020
- Here's Why Regenerons Stock Is Worth More Than Its Coronavirus Work - Motley Fool - April 9th, 2020
- 1 protein in the skin kickstarts a pesky itch - Futurity: Research News - April 9th, 2020
- The 9 Best Bath Salts and Soaks of 2020 Reviews - Allure - April 9th, 2020
- Covid-19: Frequent hand-washing, sanitising giving rise to skin problems - New Straits Times Online - April 9th, 2020
- Scientists identify a protein that switches on allergic itching - New Atlas - April 9th, 2020
- Do You Have 'Iso Skin'? Why Your Face Is Freaking Out And How To Fix It - 10 daily - April 9th, 2020
- 5 best skin care products to help with stress, according to Dr. Pimple Popper - TODAY - April 9th, 2020
- Shop a Revolutionary Hand Sanitizer For Sensitive Skin - DuJour - dujour.com - April 9th, 2020
- Eczema, dermatitis and how to treat dry, flaky and itchy skin - ABC News - March 24th, 2020
- Best ways to treat eczema - Daily Monitor - March 24th, 2020
- This $4 Hand Cream Has Allowed Me to Wash My Eczema-Ridden Hands Ten Times a Day - New York Magazine - March 24th, 2020
- Hand-washing over coronavirus has created a dry skin epidemic - what to do - Coventry Telegraph - March 24th, 2020
- Coronavirus: How to properly care for dry hands caused by hand-washing and sanitiser, according to dermatologists - The Independent - March 24th, 2020
- 10 Products That Delighted Us Last Week: From Track Suits to Tarot Decks - New York Magazine - March 24th, 2020
- Atopic dermatitis (eczema) - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic - March 9th, 2020
- Mum says son with eczema was able to have his first bubble bath thanks to new product - Manchester Evening News - March 9th, 2020
- View: Can daily application of an emollient from birth prevent the development of atopic eczema? - Hospital Healthcare Europe - March 9th, 2020
- Heart attack symptoms: The painful skin condition that could increase risk by 50 percent - Express - March 9th, 2020
- 'The best emollient is one the patient uses' - prescribing emollients in primary care - Pulse - March 9th, 2020
- Woman tells of how 17 beauty product massively improved her eczema - RSVP Live - March 9th, 2020
- How to Heal Dry, Cracked Hands From Washing Your Hands So Damn Much - Self - March 9th, 2020
- Eczema sufferer reveals that Dragon's Den product dramatically improved her skin - FM104 - March 9th, 2020
- Dealing with stress: How it affects your skin and what to do about it - Gulf Today - March 9th, 2020
- Love Being Outdoors? Protect Your Skin All Year - Osprey Observer - March 9th, 2020
- How to keep your hands clean without getting dry skin - The Guardian - March 9th, 2020
- Eczema: Definition, Causes, Treatments, and Pictures - February 29th, 2020
- Eczema: Symptoms, treatment, and causes - February 29th, 2020
- 7 Types of Eczema: Symptoms, Causes, and Pictures - February 29th, 2020
- 'Life-changing': Calls for eczema drug to be PBS listed to help with mental health - The Sydney Morning Herald - February 29th, 2020
- Daily moisturizers ineffective in preventing Eczema - Medical Herald - February 29th, 2020
- How stress affects your skin and what to do about it, according to experts - The Independent - February 29th, 2020
- Are You Getting Any? I Used To Think Casual Sex Was Shameful Now Its Fun - VICE UK - February 29th, 2020
- Skin allergies - The Nation - January 27th, 2020
- Charlize Theron thought daughter looked like a 'lizard' - The Laconia Daily Sun - January 27th, 2020
- Man tormented by severe eczema took heroin overdose to kill himself - Lancashire Telegraph - January 27th, 2020
- Eczema: Does this unsightly skin condition worsen with age? Experts have their say - Express - January 25th, 2020
- Ease The Symptoms Of Eczema With The Aid Of This Natural Herb - International Business Times - January 25th, 2020
- Best supplements for eczema: This natural herb could help ease symptoms of the condition - Express - January 25th, 2020
- Dry Eyelids: Heres Exactly How to Treat Them, According to Dermatologists - Self - January 25th, 2020
- Girl with severe eczema told her mum she 'didn't want to look at herself in the mirror' - she's now a model - Manchester Evening News - January 25th, 2020
- Girl, 8, whose eczema is so severe it turns skin purple lands dream job with M&S - Mirror Online - January 25th, 2020
- Dupixent (dupilumab) available to treat adolescents with moderate to severe atopic dermatitis in Scotland1 - PharmiWeb.com - January 25th, 2020
- Girl with severe eczema told mum 'I don't want to look at myself in the mirror' - Liverpool Echo - January 25th, 2020
- Charlize Theron recounts the 1st moment she met her daughter - Today.com - January 25th, 2020
- Dupixent (dupilumab), accepted for restricted use within NHS Wales for the treatment of moderate to severe atopic dermatitis in adolescents aged 12 -... - January 25th, 2020
- Im a dermatologist, and these are the mistakes I see people make when treating eczema - Well+Good - January 18th, 2020
- Alitretinoin an Effective Option in Children With Hand Eczema - Dermatology Advisor - January 18th, 2020
- News Local mom and engineer starts soap company inspired by her son with eczema Anu Prakash - WXYZ - January 18th, 2020
- Sheffield study of newborn babies seeks to prevent eczema - The Star - January 18th, 2020
- Putting the Pro in Probiotics | Nutrition and Fitness | iosconews.com - Iosco County News Herald - January 18th, 2020
- Itchy face: Causes, symptoms, and treatment - Medical News Today - January 18th, 2020
- 4 things to know about eczema - WRAL.com - January 18th, 2020
- Bucks students urged to think before they comment on eczema - Mix 96 - January 18th, 2020
- John Turturro On The Future Of HBOs The Night Of TCA - Deadline - January 18th, 2020
- 12 Itchy Skin Treatments That Work, According to Dermatologists - Prevention.com - January 18th, 2020
- The 12 COSRX Products Every Skin-Care Fiend Should Have - New York Magazine - January 18th, 2020
- Global Eczema Therapeutics Market 2020-2024| Evolving Opportunities with AbbVie Inc. and Bayer AG | Technavio - Business Wire - December 17th, 2019
- I started my coffee body scrub business with 450 now its turned over 15m and Maisie Smith is a fan - The Sun - December 17th, 2019
- Common Itching Causes and Fixes, According to Dermatologists - Yahoo Lifestyle - December 17th, 2019
- Kane Biotech Launches Consumer Product Test for an Innovative Shampoo Containing its Patented Anti-Biofilm Technology - GlobeNewswire - December 17th, 2019