The first study on the long-term health effects of electronic cigarettes finds that the devices are linked to an increased risk of chronic lung diseases, according to research published Monday in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine.
The findings are expected to confound theories that e-cigarettes are a safer alternative for long-time adult users of tobacco.
The study included 32,000 adults in the U.S. None had any signs of lung disease when the study began in 2013.
By 2016, investigators found people who used e-cigarettes were 30 percent more likely to have developed a chronic lung disease, including asthma, bronchitis and emphysema, than nonusers.
"E-cigarette use predicted the development of lung disease over a very short period of time. It only took three years," said the study's author, Stanton Glantz, of the Center for Tobacco Control Research and Education of the University of California, San Francisco.
While the study's focus was on people who vaped nicotine, it's possible some may have also vaped THC products, Glantz said.
Let our news meet your inbox. The news and stories that matters, delivered weekday mornings.
Those who smoked regular, combustible cigarettes had a higher risk of developing chronic lung diseases than those who used only e-cigarettes. But the study also found many adult smokers who tried e-cigarettes ended up using both forms of tobacco.
"Most adults who use e-cigarettes continue to smoke," Glantz told NBC News. "And if they do that, they get the risks of the smoking plus the risk of the e-cigarette."
Combining regular and e-cigarettes more than tripled the risk for developing chronic lung diseases, the study found.
The research adds to a growing body of evidence that vaping can cause physical harm, whether it's chemical burns to lung tissue, toxic metals that leave lasting scars on lungs, vitamin E oil that clogs lungs or even overheated batteries that explode.
The illnesses described in the new research are different from the recent spike in vaping-related illnesses, called EVALI, or e-cigarette or vaping associated lung injury. Last week, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported 2,409 cases across all 50 states, plus Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
Despite months of investigation, no single cause has been identified to explain all of those cases. Carrier oils, such as vitamin E acetate, heavy metals, flavorings and other toxins have all been implicated. The vast majority of cases have involved vaping marijuana's psychoactive ingredient, THC. And in many cases, counterfeit vapes were used.
One factor that's complicated the EVALI investigation is that many patients report using many different products. According to the CDC, EVALI patients have reported 152 THC vape brands.
A separate study published Monday, also in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine, found that the trend of using a variety of products extends to teenagers who vape.
Researchers at the University of Nebraska Medical Center analyzed data from a 2017 survey, which included 14,560 teens. Twelve percent said they had vaped within the previous month. Three-quarters of those kids reported having vaped nicotine, marijuana or multiple substances. The rest said they'd only vaped flavors.
That same survey repeated this year found that the number of teenagers who vape had doubled from 2017.
"Continuous surveillance of youth behaviors and strategies and interventions to reduce youth e-cigarette use are needed," Mohammad Siahpush, a co-author of the research and an associate dean for research at the University of Nebraska Medical Center's College of Public Health, said in a news release.
"The truth is that no form of tobacco is safe," he added.
Follow NBC HEALTH on Twitter & Facebook.
Erika Edwards is the health and medical news writer/reporter for NBC News and Today.
- Over 60% Of Americans Want Health Insurers To Cover Alternative Medicine InsuranceNewsNet - Insurance News Net - June 24th, 2021
- More Kiwis Turning To Alternative Therapies - Data | Scoop News - Scoop.co.nz - June 24th, 2021
- ProSomnus Sleep Technologies Effective Sleep Apnea Treatment Alternative to PAP Therapy - PRNewswire - June 24th, 2021
- 5 Impressive Herbs That Help Balance your Hormones - Healthline - June 24th, 2021
- Rheumatoid arthritis in the hip: Symptoms and management - Medical News Today - June 24th, 2021
- Integrative Health or Complementary and Alternative Medicine Market 2021 Comprehensive Insights Arab Yoga Foundation (AYF), Soul Warrior, Sukoun,... - June 24th, 2021
- Why Is the Intellectual Dark Web Suddenly Hyping an Unproven COVID Treatment? - VICE - June 24th, 2021
- Alternative And Complementary Medicine Market Impact and Recovery Analysis| Herbal Hills, Helio USA, Deepure Plus, Nordic Naturals, Pure... - June 24th, 2021
- Brazil Complementary and Alternative Medicine Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Countries, Type and Application, Forecast to 2026 The Manomet Current -... - June 24th, 2021
- Medtronic Receives FDA Expanded Approval for Arctic Front Family of Cardiac Cryoablation Catheters for Initial Use for Recurrent Symptomatic... - June 24th, 2021
- Complementary and Alternative Medicine Market: Business Opportunities, Current - Business-newsupdate.com - June 24th, 2021
- Oncologists, Breast Cancer Patients Differ on Alternative Therapies - WebMD - June 20th, 2021
- What Are the Homeopathic Remedies for Ganglion Cysts? - Healthline - June 20th, 2021
- Covid stress: People turning to alternative therapies - Telangana Today - June 20th, 2021
- Headache pressure points on the feet: Pictures and science - Medical News Today - June 20th, 2021
- Alternative And Complementary Medicine Market 2021 Global Demand and Emerging Trends by 2028- Columbia Nutritional Inc., Herb Pharma, Herbal Hills ... - June 20th, 2021
- Deepak Chopra: Stress No 1 epidemic in our society pandemic an opportunity to reinvent body and soul - The Indian Express - June 20th, 2021
- Immune system dysfunction and cannabis use linked to psychosis - Health Europa - June 20th, 2021
- Integrative Health or Complementary and Alternative Medicine Market Is Thriving Worldwide with Aura Wellness, Intouch Clinic, Landmark Fitness Clark... - June 20th, 2021
- Yoga, a healthy activity for over 5000 years - Omniscience - June 20th, 2021
- Indian doctors protest herbal treatments being touted for COVID-19 - National Geographic - June 6th, 2021
- Deepak Chopra did LSD for the first time in a Harvard lab and felt his consciousness shift while staring at a photo of Mother Teresa - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2021
- Efficacy of traditional medicine to combat Covid-19 pandemic - ETHealthworld.com - June 6th, 2021
- Glasgow University bows to pressure and removes name of billionaire donors accused over US drugs catastrophe - The Sunday Post - June 6th, 2021
- Merck's KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) Given After Surgery Reduced the Risk of Disease Recurrence or Death by 32% Versus Placebo as Adjuvant Therapy in... - June 6th, 2021
- New Antipsychotic That Causes Less Weight Gain Gets FDA Approval - Everyday Health - June 6th, 2021
- 10 Pros And Cons Of Alternative Medicine Is Contemporary ... - June 2nd, 2021
- The Truth About Alternative Medical Treatments - June 2nd, 2021
- Alternative Medicine Pros and Cons - Alternative Health ... - June 2nd, 2021
- Integrative medicine: Find out what works - Mayo Clinic - June 2nd, 2021
- Top 100 Alternative Medicine Blogs and Websites in 2021 - June 2nd, 2021
- HISTORY OF ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE - The Complete Herbal Guide - June 2nd, 2021
- 21 Best Health And Alternative Medicine Websites - Must ... - June 2nd, 2021
- Benefits of Alternative Medicine - Everglades University - June 2nd, 2021
- Integrative medicine: Different techniques, one goal ... - June 2nd, 2021
- What are Popular Career Options in Alternative Medicine? - June 2nd, 2021
- Medicare slow to respond to seniors' increasing interest in alternative medicine - MedCity News - June 2nd, 2021
- Defining Complementary and Alternative Medicine ... - June 2nd, 2021
- A revolutionary gene therapy is bringing hope to UK parents - but it comes with a steep price tag - Euronews - June 2nd, 2021
- Texas veteran and state representative advocate for psychedelic therapy to treat veterans with PTSD - CBS19.tv KYTX - June 2nd, 2021
- Complementary And Alternative Medicine Market Impact and Recovery Analysis| Nordic Naturals, Helio USA, Yoga Tree, Pure Encapsulations, Inc KSU | The... - June 2nd, 2021
- Loncastuximab Tesirine Provides Alternative for Broad Range of Patients With DLBCL - OncLive - June 2nd, 2021
- The Mouth-Body Connection: This Dentist Is Breaking Down The Wall Between Medicine And Dentistry - Forbes - June 2nd, 2021
- 'Good' Bacteria Show Promise for Clinical Treatment of Crohn's Disease, Ulcerative Colitis | Newsroom - UNC Health and UNC School of Medicine - June 2nd, 2021
- Overview of Alternative Medicine Market by Recent Opportunities, Growth Size, Regional Analysis and Forecasts to 2026 Jumbo News - Jumbo News - June 2nd, 2021
- Global AYUSH and Alternative Medicine Market by Size, Key Players, Regional Trends and Growth Trends with Forecast 2021 to 2026 Sports Talk Line LLC... - June 2nd, 2021
- COVID-19: Meet doctor who developed cost-effective inhalation therapy - The Siasat Daily - June 2nd, 2021
- What Is Reiki And How Does It Work? - Forbes - June 2nd, 2021
- Natural Xanax Alternatives - Over the Counter Pills for Anxiety and Stress - L.A. Weekly - June 2nd, 2021
- What Lies Beneath: The Sorcerer's Apprentice and... : Emergency Medicine News - LWW Journals - June 2nd, 2021
- Telangana faces severe shortage of drug to treat black fungus infection - The News Minute - June 2nd, 2021
- Mind Scanners dev Malte Burup on forcing a game design onto a concept, the psychotherapy of the 1800s, and the player's struggle to become a hero -... - June 2nd, 2021
- Alternative Medicines Market: Increase in Inclination Toward Safe and Lesser Side Effects Boosts the Global Market KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU... - June 2nd, 2021
- Biologic Therapeutics Market Trends and Future Growth Opportunities Analysis Report - BioSpace - June 2nd, 2021
- Are supplements and alternative therapies all theyre cracked up to be? - Starts at 60 - May 22nd, 2021
- Complementary And Alternative Medicine Market | What Will The Industry Size & The Growth Rate Be in 2028 The Manomet Current - The Manomet... - May 22nd, 2021
- Adult acne: Causes, treatment, and prevention - Medical News Today - May 22nd, 2021
- Village in India turns to alternative medicine amid COVID-19 pandemic - SABC News - May 22nd, 2021
- TransMedia Group to Introduce Integrity Health Corp's Western Medicine Alternatives to Achieve Longer Lifespan with Improved Health Span - PRNewswire - May 22nd, 2021
- Is Veterinary Acupuncture Right for Your Pet? Here's what you need to know. - NBC 6 South Florida - May 22nd, 2021
- Bonus Offered for Early Registration of Medical Cannabis Patient Cards - West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources - May 22nd, 2021
- Doctor, Doctor: Alternative Education and Career Paths in the Medical Field - eLearningInside News - May 22nd, 2021
- Updated Report of Complementary and Alternative Medicine Market with Current Trends, Drivers, Strategies, Applications and Competitive Landscape 2026 ... - May 22nd, 2021
- Deepak Chopra says he wants to bring awareness to psychedelics as a potential source of mind-body healing - CNBC - May 22nd, 2021
- Regenerative Medicine Market - Increasing Demand of Personalized Medicines and the Advancements in Technology Drive the Market | TMR Research Study -... - May 22nd, 2021
- Lamar Odom Reborn: New Documentary Follows NBA Athlete's Journey to Beat Addiction and Anxiety Through the Use of Psychedelic Medicines - PRNewswire - May 22nd, 2021
- Global Cell Therapy Market Report 2021 Featuring Key Innovators Such as JCR Pharmaceuticals, NuVasive, Medipost, Vericel, and Avantor - Market to... - May 22nd, 2021
- Sonu Sood asks why are doctors recommending unavailable medicines to patients: 'How will a common man get them?' - Hindustan Times - May 22nd, 2021
- electroCore, Inc. Celebrates Veterans and Active Members of the Military During National Military Appreciation Month - Business Wire - May 22nd, 2021
- Jess Ainscough was Australias first alternative medicine influencer. Her story ended tragically. - Mamamia - May 22nd, 2021
- Complementary And Alternative Medicine Market Popular Trends & Technological Advancements To Watch Out For Near Future with COVID-19 Impact... - April 27th, 2021
- The Superiority Of Alternative Medicine: The Life Of A Hotel Doctor | By Mike Oppenheim Hospitality Net - Hospitality Net - April 27th, 2021
- Balancing Integrative and Conventional Approaches to Dermatologic Care - MD Magazine - April 27th, 2021
- ESIC Medical College and Hospital, Faridabad announces Positive Results of a clinical study evaluating Nisarga Herbs' Neem Capsules for Prevention of... - April 27th, 2021
- The 7 Incredible Evidence-Based Health Benefits of Dates - The Beet - April 27th, 2021
- With a third of its capital deployed, Risk & Return is transforming how we think about emergency response - TechCrunch - April 27th, 2021
- Just like Ministers, MLAs and bureaucrats, boost your immunity with this alternative medicine - Asianet Newsable - April 27th, 2021
- COVID-19 Information: Can nebuliser be used as an alternative to oxygen cylinder and concentrator? Know here - Jagran English - April 27th, 2021
- AYUSH and Alternative Medicine Market Size, Demand, Growth Innovation, Trends, Region, Forecasts to 2026 | Baidyanath, Patanjali, Himalya Herbals,... - April 27th, 2021
- Riociguat May Be Useful Alternative to PDE5i Therapy in Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension - Pulmonology Advisor - April 27th, 2021