Last weeks NTT IndyCar Series testing at Texas Motor Speedway prompted some concerns by drivers about the potential quality of racing for the doubleheader on the 1.5-mile oval on May 1-2, related to the groove that sits a full lane up from the bottom of Turns 1 and 2.
The area, still noticeably stained by PJ1 Trackbite, an adhesive compound used in the fall of 2019 by the NASCAR Cup Series, was removed and washed thoroughly before last years IndyCar race in June. That 200-lap contest was already hampered enough as a one-day show with limited on-track running due to the impact of COVID-19, but drivers had to cope with a tricky high groove in Turns 1 and 2 that discouraged side-by-side battles. This bogged down the action the event had just five lead changes between three drivers, along with 180 passes for position throughout the field of 23 starters.
IndyCar spent both Tuesday and Wednesday at TMS, with the second day emphasized as a more traditional test day that featured 17 drivers taking part. When asked about the grip level in the opening pair of corners, there was a near-unanimous consensus among the drivers.
Its a no-go zone, said Graham Rahal, 2016 winner at TMS and driver of the No. 15 Rahal Letterman Lanigan Honda. When they repaved the track and used the lime wash, it was slippery. You know, the first Cup race they raced here, a lot of guys crashing, a lot. I remember talking to Jimmie (Johnson) about it. Its just very slippery. Everybody here at TMS does a great job trying to find ways to find grip. Unfortunately, the dark black stuff, from the data we got, is about 20 percent less grip than the bottom lane and a half, so its still going to be a no-go zone, unfortunately.
Pato OWard, who ended up pacing the day overall at 222.25mph, was bold enough to try the lane during some single-car runs in the morning, but found it difficult to make his No. 5 Arrow McLaren SP Chevrolet stick.
I tried opening up the radius into (Turn) 1 a couple of times and the car wasnt very happy, said OWard. Usually, you can sort of feel it out whenever it might come in, but honestly, for what I have felt up until now, its not going to grip up. We need that to grip up in order for us to have a good race. The other thing that might help racing is see how the tire deg [degradation] is going to be. (Wednesdays) a little funky because theres so much downforce. Its very windy, but there is so much more downforce because its cold, and were all flat around the place and it usually isnt easy flat. You have to kind of take a leap of faith and not everybody does it in qualifying.
I think last year, Josef (Newgarden) was the only one that did it. Were all in a situation where were just getting all this extra grip that I dont think itll be here on race weekend it might, but I feel like in that area, it might make the racing very difficult if we dont have a second lane. We truly need that in order for us to either have chances to pass and (put on) a good show.
OWard added that his attempt to push into the stained lane was only with the right-side tires.
I dont know how else to say it, but I havent had the cojones to go four wheels on the black, said OWard. Any time you try and get just a little bit of clean air on your wings behind someone, you lose like 10 car (lengths) because you just plow through. Its obviously very green up there. It needs more rubber. The problem is we dont know if itll rubber in. Were just going to have to see how everything plays out and if people start using that second row.
However, there is some optimism this time around with an improved aero configuration, which RACER understands to be more than 150 pounds of downforce versus last years package at TMS. Although Newgarden, a two-time IndyCar champion and 2019 winner at Texas, couldnt give an exact number, he confessed it is within a couple hundred pounds.
I think its possible to open up that lane, more so now with the aero configuration that were going to be running or potentially running for the race weekend, said Newgarden, driver of the No. 2 Team Penske Chevrolet. Its a bit more downforce, its more consistent, it seems like you can follow a lot closer. If thats the case, people will be more open to driving up into the lane. I think at the moment its not there. We need people to go up there and clean off the track and start laying down rubber. So I think the likelihood of using it is higher, but I think the reluctance of using it is still there at the moment.
Will Power, a two-time winner at TMS, had another suggestion.
If you did a session, lets say, 20 minutes leading into the final practice of the race weekend and everyone gets a set of tires and they can only run the second lane, and that segued into final practice, then you get cars running both lanes, said the driver of the No. 12 Team Penske Chevrolet.
As they get to someone, they just wouldnt stall out. Theyd go up there. So I think that would almost fix the problem. Weve added downforce, the cars are easier and more stuck. You can even do a short line at the moment when youre running by yourself, but if you cant go to another lane, how can you ever pass?
It has been an uphill climb for TMS since undergoing a reconfiguration and repave in 2017 to aid the tracks drainage issues. The renovation reprofiled Turns 1 and 2 widened from 60 feet to 80 feet, and banking in that section decreased from 24 to 20 degrees.
Rahal acknowledged the tracks continued efforts to improve the racing for both the Genesys 300 and XPEL 375.
If the downforce levels are correct and the tire combination is correct and you have kind of an evening race on both days Sunday not so much but on Saturday that gives you an opportunity for the track to cool down and be good conditions to let you go race anyway, said Rahal. I think well be able to put on a better show than what we had the last year or the time before that. But we have to learn.
Everyone at TMS is responding. Im sure when they repaved the track, they thought it was going to be the perfect combination and it wasnt. They know that, theyve acknowledged that, and I think everybody here has done a great job to try to adjust to that and make it racy again and I think its getting closer.
Read the rest here:
- Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market Will Showing Petition Growth in Near Future 2021-2027: Recent Trends and Competitive Analysis By Top... - July 29th, 2021
- Brain Mapping Method Illuminates Targets for Treating Depression and Parkinsons Disease - SciTechDaily - July 29th, 2021
- Logistics Technology: Key Developments Shaping the Industry - CIOReview - July 29th, 2021
- EKA Introduces Touchless Freight Trading and Execution - Yahoo Finance - July 27th, 2021
- TMS Symphonic Band selected to perform at AMEA Conference - Shelby County Reporter - Shelby County Reporter - July 27th, 2021
- Neuronetics (STIM) falls 2.82% in Light Trading on July 26 - Equities.com - July 27th, 2021
- Surge Transportation forges digital pathway with TMS integrations - FreightWaves - July 18th, 2021
- Axele TMS Tops 5K Users and 40K Loads, Closes out First Half of 2021 with 10X - GlobeNewswire - July 18th, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market Potential Growth, Size, Share, Demand And Analysis Of Key Players Research Forecasts To 2027 The... - July 18th, 2021
- TSD1 receives funding for high school renovations as middle school work wraps up TMS expected to open for 2021-2022 school year -... - July 18th, 2021
- MindPath Care Centers Hosts Open House in Charlotte to Introduce FDA-Cleared Deep TMS Treatment for Major Depressive Disorder (MDD) and... - July 14th, 2021
- Axele TMS Tops 5K Users and 40K Loads, Closes out First Half of 2021 with 10X Growth in Monthly Recurring Revenue - Yahoo Finance - July 14th, 2021
- Centralization and digitalization: key priorities for global treasuries - BBVA - July 14th, 2021
- REWIND: Rock of Ages. The 1997 Rockfest concert in Fort Worth - WFAA.com - July 14th, 2021
- 2021 State of the Cloud: No end in sight - Logistics Management - July 14th, 2021
- Slag Handling Service Market 2021: Comprehensive Research Including Top Companies like-TMS International, Phoenix Services, Harsco, Edw. C. Levy Co.,... - July 14th, 2021
- Cybin Files its 13th Patent Application and Announces Digital Therapeutics Strategy - Business Wire - July 14th, 2021
- Greenbrook TMS (GBNH) Withdraws Proposed Share Offering - StreetInsider.com - June 28th, 2021
- Terminal Management System (TMS) Market Analytical Overview, Growth Factors, Demand and Trends Forecast to 2027 The Manomet Current - The Manomet... - June 28th, 2021
- Therapeutic Ultrasound Devices Market | Industry Insight 2021-2027 Covered players: , EDAP TMS, Dornier Medtech, InSightec, Siemens, and More The... - June 28th, 2021
- Shockwave Therapy Device market 2021 Global analysis, opportunities and forecast to 2027 | By Top Leading Vendors like , Boston Scientific... - June 28th, 2021
- Can Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) Hurt You ... - June 23rd, 2021
- TMS discusses thermal management in electric powertrains - Automotive Testing Technology International - June 23rd, 2021
- API vs. RPA whats the difference? - FreightWaves - June 23rd, 2021
- AI and edge computing: the future of traffic management - Business Reporter - June 23rd, 2021
- Massive Crowds Flock to Universal as Capacity Restrictions Disappear - Inside the Magic - June 23rd, 2021
- Global Treasury Management System (TMS) Market Research Report Covers, Future Trends, Past, Present Data and Deep Analysis 2021-2026 The Manomet... - June 23rd, 2021
- Global Transportation Managem ent Systems (TMS) Market Analysis, Market Insights, Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast 2021-2025 The Manomet... - June 23rd, 2021
- Tla'amin Nation outlines conflict of interest - Powell River Peak - June 23rd, 2021
- Effects of repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation | NDT - Dove Medical Press - May 27th, 2021
- BrainsWay Announces First of its Kind Positive Coverage Policy by Centene for the Treatment of OCD - GlobeNewswire - May 27th, 2021
- TMS student overcomes obstacle to excel in track and cross country. - WCBI - May 27th, 2021
- Manhattan Associates Unveils the Industry's Fastest and Smartest Multi-modal Transportation Optimization Engine - StreetInsider.com - May 27th, 2021
- Lupin The 3rd Part Six Unveils New Trailer - ComicBook.com - May 27th, 2021
- Registration of the reduced quantity of shares in Nexstim Plc (the last phase) - GlobeNewswire - May 27th, 2021
- Residents of Duncan have a voice in planning the future - My Cowichan Valley Now - May 18th, 2021
- Talent Management Software (TMS) Market | Covid-19 Impact Analysis | 2021 | Current Trends, Opportunity, Growth Potential, Industry Size, and Forecast... - May 18th, 2021
- Global Transportation Managem ent Systems (TMS) Market Size 2021, Share, Emerging-Trends, Growth, Services, Growth-Analysis, Top Manufacturers,... - May 18th, 2021
- Biogen Announces Exercise of Option to Acquire the Investigational Drug TMS-007 for Acute Ischemic Stroke - GlobeNewswire - May 16th, 2021
- Results: EDAP TMS S.A. Exceeded Expectations And The Consensus Has Updated Its Estimates - Yahoo Finance - May 16th, 2021
- South Jersey MS Center Now Offering TMS Therapy For Those With Chronic Treatment-Resistant Illnesses - Yahoo Finance - May 16th, 2021
- Analysts Offer Insights on Healthcare Companies: EDAP TMS (EDAP), Veru (VERU) and Kamada (KMDA) - Smarter Analyst - May 16th, 2021
- The Dallas Cowboys Will Start 0-1 - And Win The NFC East - Sports Illustrated - May 16th, 2021
- 2021 Latest Insights On Toll Management System(TMS) Industry. Understand Market Future And Impact Of Covid-19 On The Industry Clark County Blog -... - May 16th, 2021
- Global High-intensity Focused Ultrasound (HIFU) therapy Market 2021 Top 10 Key players |EDAP TMS, THERACLION, CARDIAWAVE, BrainSonix Corporation, FUS... - May 16th, 2021
- Global Radioactive Iodine Ablation Therapy Market Research Report, Growth Trends and Competitive Analysis 2021-2027 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper -... - May 16th, 2021
- INTERVIEW: 'Army of the Dead's Matthias Schweighfer Talks Safecracking, Zack Snyder, and Prequels - The Mary Sue - May 16th, 2021
- Huge Demand of Digital Piano Market by 2027 | TMS, The ONE Music Group, Kurzweil, Williams Test & Measurement - Test & Measurement - May 16th, 2021
- Quantity of shares in Nexstim Plc after completion of the first phase in reducing the quantity of shares - StreetInsider.com - May 16th, 2021
- Global High-intensity Focused Ultrasound Therapy Market 2021 Challenges by enhanceing manufactures:EDAP TMS, SonaCare Medical, Theraclion, ILJIN... - May 16th, 2021
- Talent Management Software (TMS) Market Research Provides an In-Depth Analysis on the Future Growth Prospects and Industry Trends Adopted by the... - May 16th, 2021
- EDAP TMS SA to Announce First Quarter 2021 Financial Results on May 11, 2021 - Yahoo Finance - May 9th, 2021
- Greenbrook TMS Announces Change of Dates for Its First Quarter 2021 Financial Results - Business Wire - May 9th, 2021
- As One Pandemic Ends, My Tips on How To Navigate This Next One - MD Magazine - May 9th, 2021
- Global TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market by Type (H-coil, C-core Coil, Circular Crown Coil), By Application (Hospital, Clinic,... - May 9th, 2021
- Talent Management Systems (TMS) Market COVID -19 Impact | Growth, Analysis, Opportunities and Forecast To 2027 by Growing Players: Oracle, SAP, IBM,... - May 9th, 2021
- Vin Diesels break-dance video brings the internet as Ken guesses him to be Yeti on TMS - Republic TV - May 9th, 2021
- Greenbrook TMS Announces Proposed Public Offering of Common Shares - Business Wire - May 4th, 2021
- Ruan Partners with Mastery Logistics to Enhance TMS Platform and Redefine Supply Chain Software - DC Velocity - May 4th, 2021
- AscendTMS And uShip Partner to Support SMB Shippers with Seamless Neutral FTL / LTL Platform - DC Velocity - May 4th, 2021
- Qualifying with race downforce at Texas will aid TMS novices - Motorsport.com - May 4th, 2021
- MagVenture receives CE approvals for noninvasive brain treatment of addiction, OCD, and depression with anxiety symptoms - PRNewswire - May 4th, 2021
- Boston Seaport Announces Plans for The Holiday Market at Snowport and Calls All Makers, Artists and Chefs to Apply - Boston Real Estate Times - May 4th, 2021
- Treasury Management System (TMS) Market To Surpass Covid-19 Cringe From 2021 Onward The Courier - The Courier - May 4th, 2021
- 123Loadboard Partners With AscendTMS for In-Depth Load Searching Integration - DC Velocity - April 23rd, 2021
- Global TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 NeighborWebSJ -... - April 23rd, 2021
- Texas Motor Speedway Vaccination Clinic Closes Friday Due to Severe Weather - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth - April 23rd, 2021
- TMS Neuronavigation Systems Market Production, Revenue and Price Forecast by Type 2021 to 2027 Neurosoft (Russia), neuroCare Group (Germany), Inomed... - April 23rd, 2021
- Tyto Athene, LLC Awarded $11.6M for United States Air Force Global Sustainment Task Orders for TMS, CTS and Enhanced 9-1-1 - Business Wire - April 15th, 2021
- Molecular Signatures of the Aging Process in Mice Revealed - Technology Networks - April 15th, 2021
- How to treat anxiety without medication: 8 natural remedies - Medical News Today - April 15th, 2021
- Elite Transit Solutions Announces Aggressive Growth: Opens New Chicago and Charlotte Locations and Begins Hiring 200+ Employees - PR Web - April 15th, 2021
- Toll Management System(TMS) Market 2021 Is Booming Across the Globe by Share, Size, Growth, Segments and Forecast to 2027 | Top Players Analysis-... - April 15th, 2021
- Analysts Offer Insights on Healthcare Companies: and Greenbrook Tms (GBNH) - Smarter Analyst - April 11th, 2021
- Global Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market 2021 by Key Players, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2027 (Based on COVID-19 Impact... - April 11th, 2021
- TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market 2021 Is Rapidly Increasing Worldwide in Near Future | Top Companies Analysis- MAG & More,... - April 11th, 2021
- Maven Machines Integrates with McLeod Software to Improve Fleet and Driver Workflow - DC Velocity - April 11th, 2021
- Another Win for Health Insurers, a Big Loss for this Patient - CounterPunch.org - CounterPunch - April 11th, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market 2021 Is Booming Across the Globe by Share, Size, Growth, Segments and Forecast to 2027 | Top Players... - April 11th, 2021
- Global Transportation and Logistics Software Market Status Analysis and Forecast 2021-2027 with key player- TMW, 3G tms, AFS Transportation... - April 11th, 2021