The International Space Station is a unique scientific platform enabling researchers from around the world to develop experiments that could not be performed on Earth. A line of unpiloted resupply spacecraft keeps this work going, supporting efforts to enable future human and robotic exploration of destinations well beyond low-Earth orbit.
The next mission to the space station will be the 12th commercial resupply services flight for SpaceX. Liftoff is targeted for Aug. 13 at approximately 12:56 p.m., from Launch Complex 39A at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida.
This underscores the center's role as a premier, multi-user spaceport as this will be the ninth SpaceX rocket to take off from the launch pad, all this year. Pad 39A's history includes 11 Apollo flights, the launch of the Skylab space station in 1973, and 82 space shuttle missions.
A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will boost a Dragon spacecraft filled with almost 6,000 pounds of supplies. The payloads include crucial materials to directly support dozens of the more than 250 science and research investigations that will occur during Expeditions 52 and 53.
About 10 minutes after launch, Dragon will reach its preliminary orbit and deploy its solar arrays. A carefully choreographed series of thruster firings are scheduled to allow the spacecraft to rendezvous with the space station.
NASA astronaut Jack Fischer and European Space Agency astronaut Paolo Nespoli will grapple Dragon using the space station's robotic arm and install it on the station's Harmony module.
The station crew will unpack the Dragon and begin working with the experiments that include plant pillows containing seeds for NASA's Veggie plant growth system experiment. The plant pillows were prepared in Kennedy's Space Station Processing Facility.
Veggie, like most of the research taking place on the space station, is demonstrating how the research benefits life on Earth as it advances NASA's plans to send humans to Mars.
The Dragon spacecraft will spend approximately one month attached to the space station. It will remain until mid-September when the spacecraft will return to Earth with results of earlier experiments, splashing down in the Pacific Ocean off the coast of Baja California.
With the rise of Ad Blockers, and Facebook - our traditional revenue sources via quality network advertising continues to decline. And unlike so many other news sites, we don't have a paywall - with those annoying usernames and passwords.
Our news coverage takes time and effort to publish 365 days a year.
If you find our news sites informative and useful then please consider becoming a regular supporter or for now make a one off contribution.
- Virtual Reality Project Shows Life and Science on the Space Station - Space.com - November 9th, 2019
- A Journey to Mars Starts on the Space Station - Space.com - November 9th, 2019
- Adidas is partnering with the International Space Station to test products in space - CNN - November 9th, 2019
- Satellite built by students soars to space on mission to map heat in Phoenix, other cities - AZCentral - November 9th, 2019
- 2 Mainers to be aboard International Space Station at same time - WMTW Portland - November 9th, 2019
- A startup just launched red wine to the International Space Station to age for 12 months - TechCrunch - November 9th, 2019
- Space station receives spacewalking gear, new baking oven - Spaceflight Now - November 9th, 2019
- Solar Cells from STAMI Members Reach the International Space Station for Testing - Georgia Tech News Center - November 9th, 2019
- Another Mainer to Join the International Space Station in April - NECN - November 9th, 2019
- New Bill Would Extend U.S. Operation of Space Station - Government Technology - November 9th, 2019
- International Space Station receives a dozen bottles of fine wine - The Independent - November 9th, 2019
- Record-Setting X-Ray Burst From Massive Thermonuclear Blast Detected From Space Station - SciTechDaily - November 9th, 2019
- Indias planned space station to reportedly have room for three astronauts aboard it - Firstpost - November 9th, 2019
- adidas Partners with International Space Station National Lab - Fortress of Solitude - November 9th, 2019
- To watch the International Space Station go by, all you need is clear skies and the schedule - CNN - November 2nd, 2019
- Radiation Experiment, Cookie Oven and More Headed to Space Station on Cygnus Cargo Ship - Space.com - November 2nd, 2019
- Indian Space Station Likely to Accommodate Three Astronauts - The Weather Channel - November 2nd, 2019
- Astronauts to get oven for space station cookies | US | Journal Gazette - Fort Wayne Journal Gazette - November 2nd, 2019
- Watch Astronauts Play Baseball on the International Space Station - Futurism - November 2nd, 2019
- Want to watch? An Antares is set to launch Saturday from Wallops to the space station - Daily Press - November 2nd, 2019
- Gateway Foundation hopes to make space vacations a reality in near future - KZTV Action 10 News - November 2nd, 2019
- Biofilms in Space and the Risks to Equipment and Astronauts - SciTechDaily - November 2nd, 2019
- International Space Station getting first oven for out-of-this-world cookies - WISHTV.com - November 2nd, 2019
- Off-Earth Manufacturing Could Help Astronauts Explore the Moon and Mars - Space.com - November 2nd, 2019
- This Virtual Reality SpaceBuzz Bus Lets You Feel What It's Like to See Earth from Above - Space.com - November 2nd, 2019
- China on pace to resume Long March 5 launches by end of year - Spaceflight Now - November 2nd, 2019
- For Astronauts on Mars, the Veggie of the Day May Be Asparagus - Space.com - November 2nd, 2019
- Unknown 'space station' filmed above San Diego in 'best ever UFO footage' - Daily Star - November 2nd, 2019
- Moonrise at sunrise seen from the International Space Station ImaGeo - Discover Magazine - October 30th, 2019
- Lamborghini is sending carbon fiber to the International Space Station - CNET - October 30th, 2019
- Lamborghini will send an experiment to the International Space Station - Digital Trends - October 30th, 2019
- Low Space Station Flyover Monday Morning | Weather Blog - WDRB - October 30th, 2019
- Team machines: Why the next revolution in robotics is collaboration - Digital Trends - October 30th, 2019
- Astronaut will visit St. Louis to talk space, aliens and his latest record-breaking flight - STLtoday.com - October 30th, 2019
- Israeli antiradiation vest to be tested in outer space - ISRAEL21c - October 30th, 2019
- Astronaut will be featured speaker at County Prayer Breakfast - Times Herald-Record - October 30th, 2019
- SpaceX wants to land Starship on the moon within three years, president says, with people soon after - CNBC - October 30th, 2019
- Space tour: Hazza Al Mansouri's video shows life on board the International Space Station - The National - October 30th, 2019
- Life in space: 20,000 people will leave Earth in the next 25 years - Possibly millions - Express.co.uk - October 30th, 2019
- Caspers Fire Station No. 1 has a variety of deficiencies a rebuild would address - Oil City News - October 30th, 2019
- Satellite surveillance may be less of a privacy concern than you think -- for now - CNET - October 30th, 2019
- Lab-grown Meat Produced in Space for First Time Aboard International Space Station - Newsweek - October 8th, 2019
- Catch a quick glance of the International Space Station in the South Jersey sky - Press of Atlantic City - October 8th, 2019
- Exploring Regenerative Medicine in Microgravity Aboard the International Space Station - UPJ Athletics - October 8th, 2019
- NSF/CASIS Collaboration on Transport Phenomena Research on the International Space Station (ISS) to Benefit Life on Earth - IIT Today - October 8th, 2019
- Brimstone battery bags on board Space Station - FW Business - October 8th, 2019
- Expedition 61 Begins: A Series Of Spacewalks Await the International Space Station Crew This Month! - Mashable India - October 8th, 2019
- How many astronauts have died in space? Who were the first astronauts to fly in space? - Express.co.uk - October 8th, 2019
- Boeing Plans To Invest $20 Million In Space Tourism Company Virgin Galactic - Forbes - October 8th, 2019
- A volcano blows its top, seen from space - SYFY WIRE - October 8th, 2019
- This Week @ NASA: Expedition 60 Crew Returns Safely from the Space Station - SCVTV - October 8th, 2019
- Cancer cells to be tested in zero gravity on Chinese Space Station - E&T Magazine - October 8th, 2019
- International Space Station flying over Cape Hatteras Thursday Night - Island Free Press - October 8th, 2019
- NSF/CASIS Collaboration on Tissue Engineering and Mechanobiology on the International Space Station (ISS) to Benefit Life on Earth - IIT Today - October 8th, 2019
- Moncton's La Station Is A Co-Working Space For Everyone From Artists To Solo Entrepreneurs - Huddle Today - October 8th, 2019
- Soyuz ferries three crew members to space station - Spaceflight Now - September 26th, 2019
- NASA Wants to Test New Moon Spacesuits on the Space Station in 2023 - Space.com - September 26th, 2019
- Japan Is Launching an Unpiloted Cargo Ship to the Space Station Today. Watch Live - Space.com - September 26th, 2019
- Russia: We Know Cause of Space Station Leak but Haven't Told NASA - Futurism - September 26th, 2019
- Russia shows off rocket that will launch astronauts to International Space Station - Fox Business - September 26th, 2019
- How to Watch the International Space Station Fly Over the US: Flight Path, Time and More Info - Newsweek - September 26th, 2019
- Watch as Maine astronaut Jessica Meir arrives at the International Space Station - Bangor Daily News - September 26th, 2019
- Bags made by local companies headed to space station | Local | Journal Gazette - Fort Wayne Journal Gazette - September 26th, 2019
- When can I next see the International Space Station over Norfolk? | Tech - Eastern Daily Press - September 26th, 2019
- 'Sheikh Zayed's dream is coming true': Major Hazza Al Mansouri reveals pride before blast-off - The National - September 26th, 2019
- NASA sees space station cross the solar eclipse - CNET - August 25th, 2017
- International Space Station Astronauts to See Solar Eclipse ... - August 25th, 2017
- Space station transits sun during eclipse - EarthSky - August 25th, 2017
- International Space Station Only Visible in Wyoming During Eclipse - Kgab - August 25th, 2017
- Space Station astronauts catch sight of monster storm Hurricane Harvey - Mashable - August 25th, 2017
- Carbondale-made bags to be used for research aboard International Space Station - The Southern - August 25th, 2017
- Elon Musk reveals first official photo of SpaceX space suit - The Verge - The Verge - August 25th, 2017
- Watch the space station cross the sun during the eclipse - fox2now.com - August 25th, 2017
- The International Space Station Had Two Views of the Eclipse - Atlas Obscura - August 22nd, 2017
- Space station astronaut sees solar eclipse shadow on Earth - CNET - August 22nd, 2017
- Canada's newest astronauts consider moon, Mars missions after space station trip - Toronto Star - August 22nd, 2017
- The ultimate photobomb: NASA spied the Space Station crossing ... - Mashable - August 22nd, 2017
- SpaceX launches experiments, ice cream to space station - KRQE News 13 - August 20th, 2017
- Space Station Astronauts Are High on a Fresh Ice Cream Shipment - Atlas Obscura - August 20th, 2017
- Sunday August 20, 2017 - Israel Hayom - August 20th, 2017